/classical/

Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin AKA God edition.

>The White Mass is closely related to its predecessor, the sixth sonata. Both works were written in 1911–12 and have structurally and stylistically more in common than any other pair of Scriabin sonatas. Scriabin reportedly feared the sixth sonata, considering the work to be corrupted by demonic forces and going so far as to refuse to play the work in public. Scriabin composed his seventh sonata as an exorcism against the darkness of the sixth sonata, subtitling the work White Mass in order to reflect its celestial nature. He intended the mood of the piece to be ecstatic, evoking images of winged flight, voluptuous rapture and overwhelming forces.

youtube.com/watch?v=JE-riazUvJE

>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>Debussy Folder: Recordings of Debussy's most important/famous works
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera folder: Construction in progress. Features recorded productions of various operas
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Renaissance Folder
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lQabCdxJ6DM
youtube.com/watch?v=MRd8EuJATzg
youtube.com/watch?v=71Rhuh2TSR8
youtube.com/watch?v=-OZBqcUZVmU
youtube.com/watch?v=WlqGkVc29Gw
youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk
youtube.com/watch?v=VK2uTtuI84w
youtube.com/watch?v=hdVRJr6EGIk
clyp.it/0vry3jfn
youtube.com/watch?v=5QfJC7bXeZw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_and_Freemasonry
youtube.com/watch?v=2MmFShRL9ls
youtube.com/watch?v=OTRexu5CIL8
youtube.com/watch?v=k8sQQ03cKaw
youtube.com/watch?v=sHsFIv8VA7w
youtube.com/watch?v=QStuVgG6gwY
youtube.com/watch?v=BHZeb2dzY0M
youtube.com/watch?v=CnkVjsvdyoM
youtube.com/watch?v=P2OhGH3rFi4
youtube.com/watch?v=Zgmjx1R7EEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GauIMo8Manc
youtube.com/watch?v=VsZP-IH8XbM
youtube.com/watch?v=tCJHm793eQ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Scriabin makes me want to CRY-abin

It's beautiful, isn't it...

youtube.com/watch?v=lQabCdxJ6DM

Vivaldi
youtube.com/watch?v=MRd8EuJATzg
youtube.com/watch?v=71Rhuh2TSR8

Scriabin

youtube.com/watch?v=-OZBqcUZVmU

I think Feinberg is just as good a Scriabin interpreter as Sofronitsky. Shame his recording of the 5th sonata is in such poor quality.

he was shorter than his wife

First movement definitely redolent of Mahler's Adagietto

>the physical world

Please, Scriabin has no time for such nonsense.

youtube.com/watch?v=WlqGkVc29Gw

BRRaap

snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF

Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT

Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

youtube.com/watch?v=C78HBp-Youk

>Scriabin
Yikes! Hope this was ironic!

Got a mate at music college who learned all of Ravel's piano works in one year to get one of their grants they give for being awesome and he got it, then the next year he did the same with Scriabin. He's awesome and introduced me to loads of cool music and I miss him. He has a bad track record with pigeons but I still love him and hope he's doing alright.

You absolute fucking pleb, I hope you were ironic!

youtube.com/watch?v=VK2uTtuI84w

did he invent serial composition before schoenberg

Schubert

youtube.com/watch?v=hdVRJr6EGIk

Don't bully Scriabin you motherfuckers

No, but pretty chromaticall music

No but he was close I guess, he stretched romantic tonality as far as it could go I think.

Hello, I am relatively new to listening to classical and I don't really know how to approach it. I really like Die Kunst der Fuge (as play by Tachezi) and Georg Friedrich Haas' Limited Approximations.

Can you rec me some modern, relatively atmospheric/atonal solo cello or cello dominated pieces?

Yikes!

We can all agree that Chopin's 4th Ballade and Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano sonata are actually good, right?

Oh come on, don't discourage me. I really have no idea how to approach (as in look for) classical music, it's obviously very different from pop music, but I saw a video of some guy playing cello and was wondering whether /classical/ could help me. And yes, those two are just things I read about while lurking on this board and actually liked.

See

in 2014 i downloaded some scriabin midi files and dropped them into logic and changed the instruments around. also added "automatic drums" track
consider this a low-effort homage to switched on bach clyp.it/0vry3jfn

Very entry level but give Bach's Cello Suites a listen maybe? I think they can be quite atmospheric, I guess. Rostropovich's recording would be a good starting point.

I will, thank you.

Oh shit, sorry. You wanted modern. I don't do modern, I'm still getting there. Benjamin Britten's cello suites are the farthest I came, they're from the 60s/70s so I guess it's relatively modern. Again, Rostropovich...

Sorry, I'm still quite entry level myself.

I'll take that. I liked Britten's violin concertos.

>recording has a live audience

>recording

fuck i forgot about the caption

>people in audience have fucking pneumonia

>recording
>Britten
>Britten
Yikes!

Daily reminder that the chromatic scale so closely approximates the primary members of the overtone series that not even microtones can save us from the protracted musical stagnation that started at the midpoint of the 20th century.

Music for this feel?

Protip: There isn''t any because I've already heard it.

I love you user

This but

>inb4 Poly posts some tacky popist extended technique bullshit as a refutation

>implying either of you are able to satisfactorily comprehend even one (1) of the great composers of history
The problem is not that there's not enough exciting, complex and beautiful music, but too much.

I didn't say there wasn't anything to listen to dummy. But the availability of fundamentally new musical paradigms (emphasis on MUSICAL) is quickly drying up.

Listen to birdsongs in your city, they evolve as the world around them evolves. Their mimicry of hip-hop beats and traffic noises is weirdly unsettling.

>I really have no idea how to approach (as in look for) classical music
try listening to it, stupid

>But the availability of fundamentally new musical paradigms (emphasis on MUSICAL) is quickly drying up.
Incorrect. New things are always in short supply. There is always only a small amount of legitimately "new" things happening. Every 100 years there's a burst of new-ness, but in between its just the usual - a few innovators who aren't well known in their lifetimes.

>oh wow this Muhly guy is a genius! Reggae in classical? Who could have thought of that!

Sorry, all that's left is various stylistic permutations that might be good for a chuckle at best.

But I was talking about birdsongs...

I honestly had trouble figuring out why you quoted me in the first place.

Post the best Catholic music you know of

youtube.com/watch?v=5QfJC7bXeZw

>freemason
>catholic music

absolutely blasphemous

I did not realize that, my mistake.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_and_Freemasonry

Wagner is underrated.

Even listening to birds didn't get Messiaen nearly as far as the mileage he got from the modes of limited transposition.

He quit when the pope said it was bad though, he didn't know and just wanted to hang out with other intellectuals.

So now what is the best catholic music you know of?

youtube.com/watch?v=2MmFShRL9ls

best composers weren't catholic anyway, so who cares

Which composers used opium the most or drank the most? I know Beethoven loved wine but I'm sure some Romantic composers were total druggies.

>Mozart
>intellectual

Not all geniuses are intellectuals

why would you post such a slow recording?

I was listening to an archival recording of Symphony number 7 online and I turned it off because I there was more audible audience than music at times

Kurt Weill isn't classical
Arthur Sullivan isn't classical
Karlheinz Stockhausen isn't classical
John Cage isn't classical
Moondog isn't classical
Conlon Nancarrow isn't classical
Frank Zappa isn't classical

It looks like the one I listened to first was removed. I just remembered it being long as fuck

>implying Zappa's symphonic works arent classical

they aren't tho. They are prog with an orchestra. Also I rolled dubs so I am right.

Have you heard the LSO records. Theyre not amazing but they're symphonic straight. Yhere isn't any guitars or anything, I think he overdubbed in drums but still. Listen to it

youtube.com/watch?v=OTRexu5CIL8

haydn masses are underrated

>instrumentation determines the genre

what is it like having the IQ of a Nigerian aeronautics engineer?

youtube.com/watch?v=k8sQQ03cKaw

Guys so I am listening to Bach's Solo Cello Suites, and I don't get them. They don't develop all that much, and most of the cadences end in a very similar manner. Idk but it's just not as engaging as his other stuff I have listened to so far. What am I doing wrong?

Hows it prog retard. I bet you havent even listened to it

Anyone know any good late Romantic/Early 20th Century stuff similar to The Planets?

I'm only saying that because I did. I listened to something that was literally Uncle Meat for orchestra.

as someone who isn't racist, my only question is how can someone reasonably articulate dedicate 9 months to this idiotic project?

If you like The Planets then you are beyond hope

Go on a walk at night with them
Mahler's symphonies probably

he's obviously trying to con the stupider dindus into giving him money

Berlioz took opium.

All of those are false but the last one

>Mahler's symphonies probably
The Planet's really isn't comparable to Mahler's work.

youtube.com/watch?v=sHsFIv8VA7w

They are the absolute worst "classical" ever made. Only technically classical because they're written down in a score and played by classical musicians. In every other way they are pure trash

Which album was that? I think your referring to Bogus Pump. Did you hear the rest of the album

Britten
youtube.com/watch?v=QStuVgG6gwY

>calling it an album

And we start to see the difficulty

>all of those are false
>he doesn't realize the truth value of a post comes down to whether digits were rolled or not

Rossini

youtube.com/watch?v=BHZeb2dzY0M

Liszt

youtube.com/watch?v=CnkVjsvdyoM

[PARALLEL MOTION INTENSIFIES]

Elgar

youtube.com/watch?v=P2OhGH3rFi4

Mendelssohn

youtube.com/watch?v=Zgmjx1R7EEQ

the first 16 minutes is the second most favorite thing we played in highschool orchestra (first being all of dvorak 8th)

>not calling the Glenn Gould Bach LPs albums

You mean 9th

no we did play the 8th

Elgar

youtube.com/watch?v=GauIMo8Manc

stop posting English composers. They aren't even good when they hail from Germany

You're just saying that because you've seen other people say it. Elgar and Britten clearly prove your assertion wrong, I willing to bet you've listened to neither of them.

youtube.com/watch?v=VsZP-IH8XbM

Elgar's okay but yeah I'm shitposting

youtube.com/watch?v=tCJHm793eQ8

>want to get into more classical
>have no idea where to start as the downloads are 50GB

Start anywhere. A lot of people start with Beethoven - just grab something that gets you into it and keep listening.

It honestly doesn't matter what gets you started. Here's an old chart if you need a guideline.

You could try compressed audio formats such as MP3s

>Posting Clinically Lobotomized Trylobytes charts

unironically "best of bach" > "best of mozart" > "best of beethoven", 2 hour long videos on youtube

What are the best ones from that first general folder?

Whatever gets people on the path. Everyone's tastes end up being completely different by the end of it anyway. Hell, I got started on fucking Scaruffi recommendations and I think back on how retarded those were.

Grab the Leibowitz Beethoven set.
Good interpretations, good sound, and good for beginners

*shows up in related videos*