/prod/ - Music Production General

WORLD SERIES edition

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
>gay ass discord link
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/0vry3jfn
youtube.com/watch?v=H8n78hRFSew
clyp.it/fntny2dk
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
clyp.it/3bzlzevx
youtube.com/watch?v=2GeZYRtGHPc
bedroomproducersblog.com/
clyp.it/tpijb40v
youtube.com/watch?v=eQNY--Yx-Ac
clyp.it/oio3005i
clyp.it/zi0ue2e3
clyp.it/d5aabkbd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All my freinds say that FL is for losers. Is there a huge difference between DAWs or is it a matter of convinience?

The top ones are all excellent DAWs, and their differences make one better than the other depending on your personal preferences and what you need to do.
For example, if you want to make experimental electronic music (with advanced sound design and weird ad-hoc contraptions made in Max), Ableton is perfect for you, and if you want to make babby shit like the middleschoolers making sick (read: not sick) dubstep drops or the niggers making lullabys that they call trap beats, then FL Studio is the best.

TL;DR:
They're equal and it's a matter of preference and type of music.

Someone convince me why i should switch from impc pro app to a real hardware mpc
Or is there some middle ground I’m missing?

>BusyWorksBeats
great skills yet I never heard a good beat from him

if you can't do, teach

or criticize :^)

How do I find out the equipment specs that were used to make this album or something close to them so I can go about emulating that equipment in Supercollider or Max MSP?

Email the guy.
I'm sure he'll be happy to respond to you.
I hear he's very sociable.

Okay goys, for vocals:

Lawson L47 mk II
OR
Nuemann U87ai

?

Also, is there a good vintage tube mic pre that has MULTIPLE channels rather than just one or two that will work well with both vocals AND acoustic guitar strumming? I will be running the aforementioned mic as well as two Nuemann KM184s on the acoustic (one aimed at fretboard and other aimed at soundhole) so 3 channels is a minimum. Money isn't a concern.

correction, it does NOT have to be vintage, I just want the tube sound, warm and creamy

What if I make dream shoegaze/alternative rock using instruments?

Audition CC

Why? What's the difference? Nice trips btw

any big daw can record instruments, from Live to Renoise, it doesn't matter at all
recording your instruments is the least demanding task, all the fuss here is mostly about the production of styles without any material instruments, which has altogether different criteria

if you record in renoise you have to trigger the recording from the patterns which makes it harder to edit long recordings cause the timing won't always be right and you can't skip ahead to part of the audio file and play it from there

And for mixing and mastering what should I use? I'm kinda new in all this desu

yeah, I exaggerate, but 9 out of 10 daws are similar in this regard

Really Nice Compressor, user :-)

Cubase is the current standard for band recording

renoise is my main daw and i have to fuck with it when i record guitar in there so i thought i'd clarify

unrelated topic: lately I've been making long drones in audacity and using renoise to process them while they play and recording the improvisations. Anyone have tips for making the initial drones i do in audacity more interesting? Ive done some that are granular synthesis ive recorded and maybe stretched and ive done different ones that are noise ive stretched or field recordings I've fucked with. I'm basically trying to make half or full hour long drones to process

protools is the industry standard actually

Cubase has the best midi editing

Fl is for losers and madeon

>recording your instruments is the least demanding task
if you want a good sound it's the task that you can spend most time and effort with

really? I thought cubase was best for recording. I always worked with ableton and wouldn't have guessed that there's something better

>great skills
>chord codes

get the fuck out

clyp.it/0vry3jfn

>12tone

Can someone remind me why this clickbaiting redditor is still posted in every one of these threads?

youtube.com/watch?v=H8n78hRFSew

not nearly as demanding as programming note automation for an entire orchestra

so what's the next logical step gear-wise for someone focused on hip hop production?

i already have an MPK Mini II, but i'm looking at getting some dedicated pads because the ones included with the Mini II are ass (at least mine are, as the first four tend to not trigger unless striking them super hard and usually double trigger which makes recording drum patterns annoying as hell)

Any tips on mixing boom bap type stuff like this?
clyp.it/fntny2dk

Digital Performer is better

What's the easiest and most straightforward tutorial for producing bleepy bloopy music in Ableton?

Sadowick tuts
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959

beginner here, i just made this in my second day in fl, it's shitty but i enjoyed the process, i think i've found my new pastime

clyp.it/3bzlzevx

Ok i'm pretty sure I was the first person on this site to get a 404 (normal/SX/A)

So I want to know

how many people here own one now?

Red pill Please

Probably 303s and Eurorack

You weren't...

youtube.com/watch?v=2GeZYRtGHPc

this guy is actually talented.

Is it supposed to sound like Pictures at an Exhibition?

If you own a keyrig or a launchpad. you are cancer

>people with real musical ability can make shitty FrankJavCee meme videos too

Okay

I have reason essentials and love the sounds but once I wanted to try the sample based stuff all you FL guys do I became beyond frustrated! is that stuff just hard to do in reason? I can play real instruments. should just do that instead of doing all this stupid sample based shit every hack thinks is creative now?

i have a microkey air and mpx16

yep, promenade 1 to be more precise
i thought the original filename was going to be visible, first time using that website

fuck you nigger I've been rocking a 202 for years

i said 404 you faggot grandpa

fucking bet you i was bitch

I'm actually surprised. I just figured you were noodling and the similarity was a coincidence

It has a pretty unique and recognizable sound so I would expect most people who listen to classical music to get it, I actually installed FL because I wanted to try doing music around those themes which are pretty much unexplored. It's not like I only want to do music based on Mussorgsky but I figured the promenades should be beginner friendly enough.

I need to build a new PC but Im poor so I figured I could buy pic related and use stuff around the house till I can buy the rest of it.

Obviously you suck at writing music. Both DAWS do the same shit.

Pro tools.
Waves R comp, R eq and SSL stereo comp.
Waves L2 or Fab filter limiter.

you should visit the classical general. Some guy arranged several Scriabin pieces and some other pieces using a drumming algorithm in Logic and some synths.

Ignore this brainlet. Just get the FabFilter shit if you really need to. All DAWs will record shit and most have decent plugins for most scenarios. Reaper, Logic, Studio One, and Cubase have better workflows for that type of shit.

Get Guitar Rig for the effects it has, not for the amp simulation. There's a lot of free shit out there as well. Check bedroomproducersblog.com/ for free VSTs.

you can bang on it and get that tactile shit

I got this presonus thing a while back for christmas, and I was wondering if learning to produce on something like studio one is a dead end, or if the knowledge carries over to different programs.

clyp.it/tpijb40v

Any crituiqes or thoughts? Lofi atmospheric song I'm working on, the mixing is intentional so I'm looking for advice for lofi mixing. I've been inspired by this vid.

youtube.com/watch?v=eQNY--Yx-Ac

looking for a pair of monitors
>price points of $200, $300 and $500
>5" woofers preferred due to limited desk space
>no insulation on walls
>accurate but not completely boring
>enough bass to not completely need a sub

>6 notes with some staticky ostinato thing

top inspiration

Yes, now take a listen to my song.

>take a peak at this blind man's vision

>nobody told me garageband app has a decent sampler

There would be people on this site that have owned them since they were pretty much new.

I have a 404 and boss 202 laying around for a few years. got it in a bundle with a MPC and Roland MC500

Should i buy a SP-808 ?

Seems to be way more advanced than the 404

>tfw have no skills besides being able to sing and being a mediocre guitar player
>tfw music is your only passion
>tfw you know you'll never make it

What's the point in living? I really don't see much of a future.

You don't need to make it to have a successful and fulfilling career in music. There's vastly, vastly more random full-time musicians who are able to support themselves comfortably just playing music than there are famous ones making millions. Not to mention all the other careers in music there are that don't involve necessarily playing music.

I don't necessarily want to be a famous millionaire off of music but I really can't think of anything I'd rather do. I have a terrible problem though where I'll start a project (e.g. join a band, write a song, etc.) and then lose motivation before I really get anywhere. The only musical equipment I have is my guitar. I honestly regret learning the guitar just because to me it is such a boring instrument on its own but I'm stuck with it now. I really just don't know what to do.

A lot of guys here could use a singer, try fivr or star now or places looking for singer, you have value

You should probably try learning another instrument, not necessarily as a replacement for guitar but just something on the side that you enjoy.

Otherwise being unmotivated is a problem that probably has a lot more to do with your own situation and your own philosophy on life rather than anything you could just take steps to change. It could very well be a depression thing, to just make a guess based off the average Sup Forums userbase.

Yeah, I'm definitely depressed. I hate where I'm at in life and no matter how hard I try, nothing seems to change.

>ram price
oy vey

i demand rates and roasts
clyp.it/oio3005i

>FL Studio babbies actually believe this

All daws are the same, we need to eliminate prejudice and be kind to FL studio users who can't help they're black

I wasnt aware that anyone older than 12 used FL studio

i wonder if the vocals sound like they were recorded in a bedroom with no acoustic treatment with a cheap mic

Not mentally older than 12, that's for sure.

can you give constructive criticism on or you rather shitpost sadly

add some flute and redo the vocals in a neil diamond style.

also change up the drums so they have a medieval feel.

>add some flute
/r/ the flute vst
>a neil diamond style
like spoken?
>change up the drums so they have a medieval feel
how

>real musical ability. he can play the piano a lil thats about it

is nice

If I can't be arsed spending hours tweaking sounds software is a bad idea for me, right?

Which hardware synths are good for modern electronic music? (EDM, trance, techno, house, strings, electro etc)

pirate nexus and omnisphere

*blocks your path*

You can prolly change the pad sensitivty

Haven't made anything in a while.
clyp.it/zi0ue2e3

acoustic treatment/recording at a studio is a meme. i record all my instruments in my bedroom (just close window and door to reduce outside noise) and it sounds good.

>and it sounds good

sure it does

hey guys this is my first track I've made using FL studio and I wanted to know what you guys think. I don't really know much about production and I'm only halfway through my music theory class so I'm not too great at composition either but I thought I'd give it a shot and idk I think I'm pretty proud of the result but I want some second opinions.

anyway, here's my song:
clyp.it/d5aabkbd
in the meantime I'll give feedback on some other people

I don't really get what you were going for here; it just sounds kinda like noise
wow, you have a really nice voice dude. you kinda suck at playing guitar though
the beginning kinda sounds like the beginning to Super Metroid desu lol

No it doesn't.

also I want to say please listen to my song all the way through because I showed it to my friend and he just skipped around most of the song and then didn't even finish it and it was really annoying desu

Well, you can't pirate talent

it does and i know it. you're just resentful because you can't make a good mix even recording your tracks at abbey road.

Sustaining those longest melody notes for as long as you do is really jarring, especially considering the sound you're using. Practically makes my ears hurt.

With Guitar Rig 5, what would you say its best effects is?