Friendly English Learning Thread

Post ITT if you have a question relating to the English language.

>Brit trying to teach English

That's like asking a Frenchman to teach you how to shower

How do I tell if someone says Finnegans Wake or Finnegan's Wake in a covnersation?

That's gay so are all non french speakers gay?
I think so.

Good thread

>British reading comprehension

Case in point

would you kindly give me a good list of common british slang words?
I want to expand my vocabulary.

You can tell by context, but if you drop those two words it'd be difficult to say. Could you give an example?

>it was a typo I swear I'm not a paki
ain't no black in the union jack
you must go back

Finnegan is a name. In writing it will always be followed by an apostrophe + s so any other rendition of it would be wrong.

really. what about the Finnegans as in the family?

In this case Finnegans' would be correct. (Plural possessive) Not sure why you're asking me this in light of your flag.

just browse /brit/

What if it is Finnegans Wake, but someone say Finnegan's Wake instead?

In spoken English there is no difference in pronunciation. It would be a difference in context.

Ex. That is Finnegen's wake. (It belongs to Finnegen) (nobody would ever say this in day to day life.)

Ex. That is Finnegans wake. (The name of a specific wake which would just as likely be spelled Finnegan's wake.)

Hope this has helped austro-bro I often ask similarly bizarre questions about my second language.

Tbqh I was just rusing people about the Joyce's book lmao.
But that was helpful, thanks for taking your time.

What is the difference between:
>You wanna ... ?
and
>Do you wanna ... ?

one is lazier than the other
both work fine

How am I supposed to read the proper names like Khabarovsk or Khrushchev? As a native Russian speaker I obviously know how to make the kh-sound or the shch-sound but would I be understood or have I to make the same approximation as /k/ and /shch/?

My autocorrect keeps removing my (u)s. How do I fix.

Make sure your browser spellchecker has UK English set.

none as I quickly realized English language is nowadays a bastard of french latin and whatever its locale is and the "native speakers" in various parts of the world might have problem understanding each other

it's a whateverworks language with barebones grammar and no nuance

>says speaker of bastardized Russian with retarded orthography
Sosi chuj, bydlo.

we share common root but our languages evolved differently
the Latin obsession of 1500-1700s played large part of it as well

though I'll agree on retarded orthography lol

What a surprisingly civilized response to my crude comment. My apologies, good sir. You're undeniably a szlachcic.

Use American English

no dont
use UK english