Armond White's best films of 2016

Being 17 André Téchiné

The President Mohsen Makhmalbaf

Sunset Song Terence Davies

Wiener-Dog Todd Solondz

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Zack Snyder

>The decline of criticism is the big news this year. As the Mainstream Media (MSM) befouls itself, fewer and fewer serious film critics are being supported and the public just doesn’t seem to care. The MSM is taken over by cronyism and consumerism. There is no more diversity among cinephiles. Here’s the news that MSM doesn’t report: popular cinema and TV are a wasteland. This era should be a new golden age for art movies. Téchiné, Makhmalbaf, Davies and Solondz are leading the way; Zack Snyder is the only maker of ‘popular’ films who has a vision and sensibility that stirs great feeling and profound thought. The festival circuit and MSM ‘criticism’ promote film culture’s decline. God help us all.
source: bfi.org.uk/best-films-2016?utm_content=buffer8205e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#tonierdmann

The King of Sup Forums has spoken.

absolute patrician taste

Patrician as fuck

Armond is a bad motherfucker

>BvS

DROPPED

I couldn't sit through Wiener Dog, it was absolute shit even if the song was great.

His review of BvS is better written and shows better understanding of the film than the entire collective mob consisting of the MSM critics.

Just buy Sup Forums from Hiro and be done with it, you fucking /ourguy/

Literally the only critic worth reading anymore

>liking Eisenbergs performance

That douche single-handedly ruined that movie

>The President
Anyone found a good torrent?

Cuz he wasn't like muh comics?

I dont even read comics. He was genuinely cringeworthy.

>this piece of art incited a negative reaction out of me so it's bad
Keep walking pleb, this is a patrician thread

>watches capeshit
>calls others pleb

lmao @ ur lyfe

Im guessing Almond White has studied more films than you've ever heard of

Go back to watching anime

>Wiener-Dog Todd Solondz
Complete and utter pleb

My negative reaction is because of his bad acting. Why do you take it so personal?

Oh yeah, I remember the symbolic stymphalian metallic demons from Batman's nightmares

That are just Parademons

>this triggers the DCucks
lel

Why do plebs pretend to like armond white now? Not even a year ago you children of videogames called him a pretentious hipster

Because they found out he likes Batman v Superman.

>liking this idiot meme critic

Jesus i need to take a break from this place the irony and post irony here is so fucking exhausting

Movie people didn't like? White calls it genius!
Movie people enjoyed? It is mediocre.
Move praised by critics? It is terrible!

He praised Jack and Jill. What a joke.

His review of BvS is better written and shows better understanding than BvS.

>Dumbing everything down like that

Sounds like you aren't his target audience!

It's not dumbed down when it's the true.

It's not true when it's false

Why can't MCUcks ever argue a point further than "it's bad and I don't like it"?

Feel free to provide an example that proves it false. Until then, keep sucking that nigger cock.

>argue a point further than "it's bad and I don't like it"?
As opposed to such genius arguments as
>Almond White has studied more films than you've ever heard of
>Go back to watching anime
>You didn't get it
>MCUck lol
right?

>he called me a DCuck
>he must be an MCUck

Not everyone here likes capeshit you manchild

Hacksaw Ridge

it's on Netflix. as is Sunset Song. looking forward to watching both. can't wrap my head around anyone other than kids and comic book readers rating Batman v Superman so highly. i think Armond put it on his best of for controversy's sake. it is a rather juvenile tactic but, hell, it's the new norm given Trump will be president of the USA soon.

Realest nigga alive tbfh

Well you could read his BvS review and find out why

>Almond White has studied more films than you've ever heard of

How is this point invalid?

Because you have to read the comics to be a true student of the kino game

Critics gave it low 7s.

I'm pretty sure the critics who bashed BvS have collectively studied more films than Armond White has even heard of, by your logic, they have a higher authority than White, which means BvS is shit.

>still trying to pretend that the ebil liberal post modernists are dominating the film industry when the crown jewel of feminist diverse film making, Ghostbusters, bombed hard.

Why didn't he like Ghostbusters again? He loved Pixels. Could it be he actually doesn't care about the movies he just cares about muh movie industry politics.

Because so many other critics that completely say the opposite of him have also studied more films than you've ever heard of.

Dude's a con artist living off clickbait. You guys are getting duped.

Very true

The critics who bashed BvS were in 99% of cases just random bloggers and freelancers. Bloggers that are very easily influenced.

i thought his performance was legit good. especially the rooftop scene and the part where turns serious when the senator blocked his shipment. though, i think they played the eccentric aspect of it too much. like the party scene, he goes on for way too long and i expected the scene to cut to something else but it still went on. that was frustrating. but for the most part, i think he was good. i want to see what they have in store for him in justice league, though i don't think it will be a major role.

>Zack Snyder is the only maker of ‘popular’ films who has a vision and sensibility that stirs great feeling and profound thought

BASED

Read the review and find out

Professional critics, not Sup Forums posts.

> This guy is called "Based" and "The King of Sup Forums"

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAH

>collectively

That's not a part of my logic, that's completely irrational. A the opinion of a thousand idiots is always going to be less worthy than that of a genius.

Hell or High Water

I'm honestly convinced that this board's enthusiasm for BvS comes from like three extremely loud and obnoxious posters

>he thinks Rotten Tomatoes are "professional" critics

9/10 times they're just fanboys running a fansite.

i have. it's posted on this thread and i disagree with a great load of it. i do not understand why he's obsessed with fanboys, either. he's using negative criticism of the previous Superman film to propel his contrarian take. that's rather petty and juvenile. his assertions that Batman v Superman fight is revelatory is just this side of being a really, really bad joke. and when he posits that Snyder's take on Batman is a more mature version than Nolan's I lost all hope. Armond is a giant troll. we've known this for years.

Congrats. You found one.

Got some more?

If you genuinely don't understand why appeal to authority is a shitty argument then I really don't know what to tell you.

>listing off what he liked and disliked with no context at all

Nolan trash is not mature in any way

Jesus christ

With that shit taste he really is Sup Forumss guy

Suicide Squad

Rotten Tomatoes has zero critics working for them, because RT is an aggregate site.

Snyder's take on Batman is definitely more mature than Nolan's. Nolan ruined his Batman with TDKR.

You could explain why it's a shitty argument.

You don't know, though, do you?

Because it's not. You just heard that on Sup Forums and stored it away somewhere to wheel out on the many occasions when you become buttflustered.

There's no context that justifies liking any of that trash

He rated it way higher than the critics did.

Obama is a higher authority in general than you.
Obama likes Game of Thrones.
Game of Thrones is therefore a great show.
You really don't understand why this logic is flawed?

Not even him but appeal to authority is the shittiest argument ever. Think for yourself.

sorry user you need an IQ of AT LEAST 150 to parse the sublime nature of armonds consciouness

>Critics didn't like Suicide Squad
>Based Armond didn't like Suicide Squad

Did you forget what we were talking about?

>in general

But I'm not saying that Armond is in general a higher authority. I'm saying when it comes to the specific case of analysis and judgement of film Armond is a higher authority than you are, and thus his opinion in this particular case of judging the quality of the film Batman v. Superman his opinion is more valuable than yours. This isn't like one of these cases where physicists speak out on politics, this is a specific case of a qualified professional film critic providing a critique on a film in a professional setting.

>I haven't read any of his reviews on the listed movies

Ok

If you're desperate go ahead and make that your argument. But 90% of the time he's a direct contradiction of the critics.

Dude's clickbait and cares more about non-existent political agendas then he does about the actual film.

I did, I developed my opinion on BvS before Armond published his review. But simply stating my opinion doesn't carry any substantial weight, very likely our opinions are stemming from a very simlar level of knowledge or ignorance. A tiebreaker is required.

I feel that sometimes too. Like the people who praised Shins Godzilla for MOTY.

Move those goalposts!

Well thank God you don't have to think for yourself because you have Armond White telling you what to think.
And you said "Bloggers [...] are very easily influenced."
Lmao.

I like BvS too but saying the movie is good because Armond White says so is idiocy.

>And you said "Bloggers [...] are very easily influenced."

Actually I'm a different person. Honestly, though, was my post too long for you to read?

That's not what I'm saying, though. I haven't gone anywhere near why it's a good movie. My whole point is that Armond's opinion of the movie is more valuable than that of Random 4channarian.

>tiebreaker required
The fuck? So you're literally it's only good/bad if Armond says it?

Thanks for confirming that.

Not an argument.

I love OUT magazine, and Armond White is my favorite critic.

>pretending capeshit is somehow more refined than anime
it's about 50/50

I already won the argument!

That's not what that statement means. If Armond had said it was bad I'd still consider it a good film.

He has the shittiest taste in movies I've ever seen. He's clearly just trying to piss off the majority, while gaining a cult following from the pseudo-intellectual contrarian minority in the process
See
The only reason you dumb fucks call him "based" is because he loved BvS.

>very likely our opinions are stemming from a very simlar level of knowledge or ignorance. A tiebreaker is required.
Okay, so your argument is you're right because Armond says so.

Can I say I'm right because other (actually esteemed) critics say so?

>Can I say I'm right because other (actually esteemed) critics say so?

Sure, you can say it. I mean, given the extent to which most critics have shown themselves to be in Disney's pocket I'd still consider you to be wrong, but you can say it,

So you're admitting you're just another pleb who wants a big green thumbs-up or a big red thumbs-down for your reviews?

>he thinks Based Armond only became a thing after BvS

You have to go back!

Based Armond does it again

>every critic who didn't like BvS is a disney shill
Awesome. You know RT is owned by Time Warners, right?

He agrees with most critics like 50% of the time.

I mean he has loved all films from David o Rusell for example.

What's one other movie his name is associated with on this board other than BvS?

You didn't listen to him

You have to go back!

Man of Steel

>>he thinks Based Armond only became a thing after BvS

>You have to go back!

Fucking this. Reddit newfags dont know armond has been the king of Sup Forums for many years.

He was one of the only critics to call avatar a piece of shit when it came up.

Most recently? Last Tango in Paris

But many of his reviews have had threads here before and after BvS, which you would know if you weren't stuck in your Reddit capeshit blackhole

>nigger
>likes BVS
>praised by Sup Forums
My sides are in orbit like Matt Damon in the Maritan

Holeeee fuck Sup Forums do you have shit tier taste

>The only reason you dumb fucks call him "based" is because he loved BvS.
You're correct for the ones doing it now(plebs who use to cry about him being a contrarian/hipster), but before it was for showing the true colors of plebs praising hogwash like TDK, inception, flavor of the month "prestigious" flick, etc

Armond is hack conman perfect for Sup Forums because they're both pseudo-intellectual contrarians.

This triggers the neckbeard, but they know it is true.

This
Tourists believe shitposts
He's wrong, if we are talking about superhero flicks sure