rateyourmusic.com/collection/HotOpinions/reviews,ss.dd
youtube.com/watch?v=2NUkhMq_iRo
youtube.com/watch?v=B7YsE-wQn9c
youtube.com/watch?v=BD7f51av1Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=8evlrbixMq4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

was just about to make this thread, ya beat me to it

i have nothing to contribute

Bacharach was this really good orchestral Baroque album.
Consequence was a decent Chi-Town rap album. Not my favorite but some great highlights (especially Grammy Family)

On A sidenote if anyone knows the name of that album of a bunch of guys doing a funny walk leaning into eachother that'd be appreciated.

I gotta listen to that Lowercase album sometime it looks great.

Tell me about Foetus

Melt Banana is still the best name for a band ever.

danny brown ain't that good, c'mon

Danny Brown is one of my top 5, dude. He had 4 perfect albums.

Without Old he'd have one of the best discographies in Hip Hop.

The last few albums have all been okay to good. My ratings usually have more variety than this.

>MoR only 3 stars

You fucked up son. Agree about Nail though, fucking great album. Was listening to it last night
>2 stars for UP

DELET THIS. Too low for Fishmans as well
I like Melt Banana’s 2000’s records better. Cell Scape is prob their best
I learned about Bacharach from that Weezer song lol. Wow, surprised by that Hybrid score even though I do think it’s underrated. Danny is for sure one of the greatest rappers as artists of all time
Same score here for Flower Boy, but your Bungle game is lackin’. That album’s great, close to the masterpiece California is
Respectable scores across the board even though I love TMS and S80 and Liquid Swords is in my top 10 hip hop records of all time
Thank you, Ys is so overrated, and that’s from a huge Newsom fan. It’s good and all but nowhere near the masterpiece of HOOM. And ya Sauna’s mad overlooked, that was a great record.

I wish that this site worked with a 0 - 10 rating system

0.5=0
5=10

Just make your own and use the tags. It’s easier for cataloging anyway
STGSTV is the best animal collective album, haters gtfo. Did you like Neurosis’ last album?

>Did you like Neurosis’ last album?
Fires within Fires? Haven't listened to it yet, i've been going through their discography in the last couple of days.

Ya that’s the one. Oh okay I gotcha, love them. It’s actually pretty good, they don’t have many medicore albums desu

well, OP technically said the last you REVIEWED...

>No traces of emo or pop punk left
In other words, it's their best album. I'll definitely give it a listen then.

huge plus for The Necks
how's Hot Snakes? anything like DLJ?
yawn

that gnod album title is pretty cringy, is it really as good as white light? that one is an easy nine/ten imo

Not bad at all.

Tru

rateyourmusic.com/collection/HotOpinions/reviews,ss.dd

I completely agree with your Turnover review, except I still kinda liked it. Had some colorful catchy tunes
Cemetary Gates really is a fucking awesome track.
Solid rates. Bookends is my least favorite S&G album. What were they thinking with the zoo animal track?
Much more pop appeal and punk influenced, but you can definitely tell it’s the same guys. They make great music per usual. I put off that White Light album way too long. It’s actually damn good
Respectable. Live love is legit the greatest mixtape of all time. Fucking love labor days and 21 savage is a retarded hack

I have to disagree with Master of Reality score, though you rated Knife Play perfectly.
Really low quality bait with Unknown Pleasures, mate.
Good to see someone that appreciates Billy Joel. However I think that Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is overrated as fuck.

>Utro better than JD
This is like saying a Russian bootleg NES game is better than the original

Spot on art angels score. It’s got a few great songs(kill v maim, butterfly, venus) and some of the worst songs of the 2010’s(California, scream). I absolutely love Billy joel. You know it’s funny, I thought the same thing the first few listens but it was one of the snap moments where in the middle of Saturday Night’s Alright something clicked and I started really liking it. I can’t really explain it but now I think the record is absurdly fun

Yeah, I should probably give it another try without having the expectation of pop punk.

>listening to terrible music on purpose and giving it 0.5 stars because you hate linkin park so much!!!!!!
I smell redditors.

Maybe he didn't expect to hate it but did. I come across releases like those sometimes.

lel

3 stars for lowercase is the worst opinion I've seen all day

That would certainly help. It’s still not exactly a barnburner but it’s a pleasant listen. I was super thrown off after the emo of Peripheral Vision, but I guess the band’s just in a different place now.
>assuming something is trash without giving it a chance

I smell an elitist
Fuck’s sake man. Holland and Famous Last Words are fantastic tracks
Good rates. All albums I like. Forever changes is a masterpiece

wait so you all base these star ranked reviews after having heard these albums once?

White Light is great but a tad overlong. Gnod scratches the same itch for me that stuff like early Swans or some NOLA sludge does. It's loud, rhythmically oriented and about as subtle as a brick to the face. Are you put off by the lyricism?
>77512035
>Much more pop appeal and punk influenced
i'm sold, defo gonna check it out

I'm talking about the people who have pages worth of entire discographies and random immensely popular pop albums with 0.5s

I am a bit put off by the title but I would check it out if I've heard praises but there is not many

I don't, i listen to an album 2-3 times before rating it.

It doesn't really get much worse than My Chemical Romance, except for Neutral Milk Hotel. Jeff Mangum's laughable voice makes the Starland Vocal Band sound like the Manhattan Transfer.

youtube.com/watch?v=2NUkhMq_iRo
youtube.com/watch?v=B7YsE-wQn9c

>5 stars
>each star can be divided into halves
are you retarded or..??

i assume he meant with 1/10th integers.

>Long season anything less than a 4

Have you heard other stuff by Grouper? I like Alien Observer a lot more than Ruins

>STGSTV 5 stars
my man

Forever Changes is cool

eh, most of it is just people memeing it as "soy" because of the title. lyrics are pretty in your face but not as overtly edgy as the album title. it's a pretty dope record though, so give it a chance.

ok I will thx
here are quick recs for you
youtube.com/watch?v=BD7f51av1Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=8evlrbixMq4

Oh ya I hate when ppl do that
Black parade’s a great album though. What’s your beef with them? And I can understand Mangum’s voice being a tough sell even if I love it, but you gotta at least admit the songwriting prowess and the moving sentiment of the lyrics

My Chemical Romance's music doesn't do anything for me, actually i find it quite irritating. Same With Neutral Milk Hotel. I like voice leading, tone color, dynamic range, and groove. There is very little to none of that to be found on any NMH or MCR records. Therefore there is nothing of value for me on any of their records.

Everyone ITT is fucking disgusting.

Ya PiL is pretty overrated as a band honestly
Well, not integers... lol
Fair enough I suppose, even though there’s crazy dynamic range across ITAOTS if you ask me. But you like what you like
Nice one James! Got em!

Thanks, I try.

I find that there is no dynamic contrast in ITAOTS. The musicians have moment where thy are trying to get louder and softer but the distortion on the final master is so loud that you hear no difference whatsoever. The percussive elements/attack transients of the instruments have been completely sucked out. Maybe that was intentional which I wouldn't be surprised by since the whole thing sounds uniform and monotonous and they wanted to keep that type of sound in their record so they crushed the heck out of it.

The production is of course really dry but sonically they grow and decay all over the place. I can see where you’re coming from, and it’s totally intentional that they keep everything on an equal plain for most of the mixing, and to me that’s a part of what makes it so interesting, but yeah I’ve always understood it’s not a record for everyone

inclooding yoo, pal

I'm not sure I follow you. How can the level grow and decay if if it's on an equal plain? Please explain.

The mix can be even while the band crescendos and decrescendos. I just mean the overall sound. Take Two Headed Boy, the way the beginning starts so muted while the chorus is so loud and passionate, before heading into the lamenting and quieter coda. The mix is really balanced, but the overall sound of the band plays with dynamics a lot to evoke cathartic passion or forlorn melancholy

Hey friends what ur favorite brand of whiskey?

True actually.

5 stars for smiles and 3 for PS... that is quite the opinion there. I highly disagree but I do think the Smile sessions were pretty great
Alec’s solo stuff is super underrated, respect. And great question. I’ve always been a Maker’s Mark man myself but the occasional wild turkey is a great time as well. One of my favorite beverages regardless of alcohol, I’d probably still drink it if it didn’t get me drunk

But the decrescendos and crescendos are not perceptible in actual loudness. It's an aural illusion. The passion and melancholy are best portrayed when there is actual difference in decibels between the loudest and softest portions. Specifically between attack transients.

How many times have you listened to the album? There’s certainly changes in actual loudness. Not so much on tracks like the title track KCF or holland, but Oh Comely? Two Headed Boy? Ghost?

Both my ears and the Dynamic Range Database tell me otherwise. Apparently the vinyl version has a bit more with values as high as 10, I'll give that one a listen when I am given the opportunity.

Knife Play - 7/10
Fingerprince - 7/10
Nail - 7.5/10
Hole - 7/10
Unknown Pleasures - 6.5/10
Long Season - 7/10
You've got cool taste
94 Diskont - 4.5/10
Memento Collider - 8.5/10 (my man)
Harakka Bialoipokku - 7/10
Flower Boy 5.5/10
Disco Volante - 7/10
Section.80 - 3/10
Liquid Swords - 7/10
The Money Store - 6/10
MBDTF - 5/10
Preoccupations - 6/10
Panopticon - 7.5/10
Rolling Stones s/t - 3/10
Tommy - 6.5/10
Secular Works - 5.5/10
Spirit They're Gone... - 7.5/10
Labor Days - 7/10
The Impossible Kid - 7/10
Ladies and Gentlemen... - 6/10
Art Angels - 3/10
Harmony in Ultraviolet - 6.5/10
Metal Box - 6/10
Les morts vont vite - 6/10
Pet Sounds - 6/10

>Have you heard other stuff by Grouper? I like Alien Observer a lot more than Ruins
I've only listened to Dragging, Ruins, and the recent singles. AO is the next one I plan to listen to, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Alright.

Hvis is so much better than filosofem imo. Hexada is about the right score, I was more interested in it than I actually liked it

I was still pretty impressed with Ghostmane given the score. I still need to check some more of him out.

Music

Film