/daily/ - Wind Chill is the Superior Winter Temperature Measurement Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /windchill/:

Other urls found in this thread:

behance.net/gallery/59771105/American-Myths
vocaroo.com/i/s1Gfm9Mw310K
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/krzysztof-penderecki-eugeniusz-rudnik/homo-ludens-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=CITUPe41ymQ
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/paddy-mcaloon/i-trawl-the-megahertz/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/明田川荘之-三上寛-石塚俊明/大勘定-daikanjyo/
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/lil-ugly-mane/prelude-to-panopticon-on-doing-an-evil-deed-blues/
youtube.com/watch?v=TjIPzyVlK60
aurawire.bandcamp.com/album/tomorrow-comes
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ok guys imagine the following scenario:

You're a DJ in the hottest club in town, you've just blasted Celine Dion - Misled.
What do you play next?

>I'd rather let you realize you're wrong on your own, it's more fun that way. Or continue being ignorant, that's also an option.
I guess you can't then. Probably because no such index is in use in weather reporting, and the ones that are in use are based on naked exposed skin, and you're now willing to admit you're wrong (as always).

Literally final post, I don't even want a (You) in response to this.

No Time to Wind Chill (haha)

behance.net/gallery/59771105/American-Myths

glad to see Eureka man finally got the vacation he deserves

>Celine Dion - Misled
Ce n'est qu'un au revoir from Martin Tétreault 's album La nuit où j'ai dit non
jk i wouldnt because this song kinda sux lol

whoa you did that
pic related is my favorite

fuckin beautiful man
these look like header images from magazines. (read that in a positive way)

Thanks. Rare heavy psych album from 1969.
Thinkin about bringing him back for another thing too.

can you feel the sunshine from the sonic racing soundtrack

Thanks! Working on some projects now but would love to do some article commissions

Read my post last thread kek
You made up a fake position for me that it didn't involve any exposed skin and then 'proved me wrong'? lmao. You said a coat negates it; the method involves coated subjects and the only exposed skin is face skin, which is a very reasonable assumption to make.
You are wrong.

i did a thingy senpai; vocaroo.com/i/s1Gfm9Mw310K

“Also heck off it’s the end of the thread”

Got some cool stuff picked out for avant CD, next weeks (tomorrow) will probably be free improvisation. Does anyone have particular genres they would/wouldn't do? It's more fun when more people join but I guess avant music is already pretty dividing, even in such an adventurous music community.
Guess I can't complain because I've never participated in someone else's listenalong lol.

Gonna finish that Messiaen opera today and read some Finkelstein.

congrats you've now shitted up the thread as much as I did

respect for admitting it

These all feel familiar. I think that's a good thing.

Thanks. We're Snapchat friends (@echandl2, folks)

Good point, I guess you've shared some of them there?

Always

Pick some more classicalshit like Sonorism or Spectralism, I haven't heard anything from those genres at all

You haven't listened to any Penderecki?

I actually have a bunch of stuff like that picked out but the spectralism album I picked in week 5 was the least participated-in one, so I thought interest was low. Could just be coincidence/holiday scheduling. I could definitely do one.

just this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/krzysztof-penderecki-eugeniusz-rudnik/homo-ludens-1/
but i didnt even know who Pendrecki was, i just thought that this was fantastic

Listen to this classic avant-meme.

thank you for the avant-meme
also, for your regional music chart, would you recommend any album to start with in it or should i just pick whatever

I really want to do this youtube.com/watch?v=CITUPe41ymQ but there's no downloads of it :(
I want to start a "business" where I crowdfund rare albums and rip them in high quality.

Actually just listened to it yesterday lol

Start with this compilation and take note of what regions music you liked the most, then check out more stuff from the same region and branch out from there.

And by that I of course mean the entire series, which is 5 releases, not just that particular one.

will do
This sounds really good holy damn
i'm thinking of messaging the 4 people on rym who have heard it just to find it tbqh

i might start ripping these tapes i got from the dump. no idea if any of them are on the internet.

free improv good :)

might do this sometime

might be a good idea actually

and i've realized that this post contains way too many instances of the word might but w/e

listening to Verklärte Nacht right now and it's a great backdrop for looking out over snow-covered New England

I know, right? It's like a cross between Gyorgi Ligeti and Tangerine Dream. It's hard to find early drone done this well. Of course it sells for hundreds of dollars and never got a CD release ;-;
Lemme know if you hear back from them.

Just reminded me of a dream not long ago where I found a Dogwander CD at the dump lmfao

How are you /daily/?
Uni started up again and it's going fine, also taking some credits in Japanese Performing Arts this spring so that's fun

I'm also about 14 episodes into Negativland's Over The Edge Radio and I've quit sugar entirely in weekdays because god damn I lived on candy.

Anyway give me something that is short and comfy like Halfway To A Threeway because I've listened to that so much lately, also if someone is a big fan of Violent Femmes, where to I go past S/T, Hallowed Ground and Why Do Birds Sing? I by far liked Hallowed Ground most.

I saw a longboi last week, they are too hairy I don't like them any more.
>I lived on candy
wtf
>short and comfy
Tim Buckley's Peel Sessions

.....so free improv or spectralism tho

i'm fine with either

free improv

Alright I'll do improv this week and spectralism next week

hey daily!!

rate my first chart of 2018 (:

absolutely destructive
there is really no bad place to start so have fun this month man

>Yeezus
lol

And I thought my charts where stacked. I'd stay start with Loveless

what are you gonna listen to now? :}

you fuckin slut

Is this a favourites chart or a listening chart?

o no!! this is one of those favorites charts. i'm almost done with a small chart i made to start off 2018, and after that i am going to make a new one based on recs ppl have given me mostly. i was just posting to fish for more recs desu.

why didnt you tag me :{

because i HATE you

forgive me mother

never >:[

>i was just posting to fish for more recs
>to fish
Can I rec you Tim Buckley - Dream Letter 1968

Some quick thoughts

>Zammuto - Zammuto
Pretty sure this is a divisive album based on the aggressive use of autotune-like vocal processing alone. I couldn't stand it. Also the overly whimsical vibe isn't my jam. "Folktronica" is a genre tag that strikes fear in my young heart. However, the drumming saved me from completely despising it. I always like the interplay between electronics and acoustic drums.

>Seijiro Murayama & Eric La Casa - Supersedure
I want to write about this album at length on a later date. It captures the essence of sound collage, though as a whole it can hardly be reduced to a single genre. Not only is it filled to the brim with different moods, atmospheres, tempos, and textures (these sort of albums have a habit of being terribly one-note in either one of those categories), but it renders certain sounds completely undefinable and blurs the line between instrument and object. The recontextualization of sounds never fails to excite me... for whatever reason.

>Keith Jarrett Trio - Changeless
This album is real pretty. I'm sure someone may strike me down for saying this, but it reminded me of The Necks and their subtle interplay between the bass and piano. Also one of the few jazz albums I've heard that uses vocal improv to great effect, if that was intentional and not just a part of it being a live recording. Anyway, needs more listens because I have a nagging feeling this record is a lot more complex than it initially appears.

>Sightings - Through the Panama
Sounds like a messy synthesis of Liars, White Suns, and Royal Trux, which isn't to say it's derivative, considering that it came out before those first two bands existed. Part of me wants to like the energy, the strained/guttural vocal performance, the bleak apocalyptic soundscapes, the sense that all performers are playing their instruments separately, but it just doesn't come together properly for me in the end. Nothing sticks with me. I'll return to this later.

What next lads?

xerrox vol.2
been a recent obsession of mine

inversion & immer are quite powerful as well

mm yea I think I'm in the mood for some electronic

gross zammuto score, but it makes sense considering youve only heard one album from The Books and didnt like it
and Supersedure is amazing, and not just because of putting percussion instruments through water damage for music

This chart has been kind of a bummer. Still catching up on these reviews here though.

Hank Mobley - Workout (1962)
>Hard Bop

This is pretty much the same thing Mobley did for the entirety of his career but it isn’t quite as impressive. The lineup features Grant Green, Wynton Kelly and Philly Joe who all compliment each other quite well. The songs are pretty much as you’d expect, with a nice upbeat yet bluesy atmosphere and some catchy riffs. Nothing to write home about but pretty solid all around.

Elvis Costello - Brutal Youth (1994)
>Power Pop

This is basically Costello going “hey it’s me, Elvis! No not that Elvis, the other one that was famous about a decade ago and made some hit songs, remember me? I’m Elvis Costello Man”. And he does it about that awkwardly. Every song is so wordy like Costello tried packing as many lyrics into the songs to make them better. It backfires and instead you get an okay pop album with poor lyrics. Not very good, though a few songs are decently catchy.

Joe Henderson - Power to the People
>Post-Bop, Fusion

Henderson kind of takes an awkward turn with this album, departing into fusion instead of his typical exploratory style. This sounds a lot like a Miles ripoff, with Hancock droning along on the electric keyboard, Mike Lawrence plugging away in the chaos and Henderson himself going off on extended riffs and solos. The ideas here are great but the downside is they’re a weird mix, with the more traditional “Lazy Afternoon” contrasting with the free “Foresight and Afterthought” and the uplifting title track. Nothing about this is necessarily, in fact it leans toward great ideas. But it’s just an awkward mix and one I’m not too inclined to revisit anytime soon.

"I bet Accel likes this album because it reminds me of that shite Bon Iver album" is what I wanted to write but I hit character limit.

At least The Books has something going for it conceptually. But hey maybe I'm a cynical fuck who doesn't like FUN.

i liked it because it IS fun you pringle
it has the lighthearted nature of The Way Out but with a greater focus on acoustic performance. Bon iver definitely is a sad boy who takes himself way more seriously than what's here

i do love that gif

Yeah it's not my type of fun I suppose. Yay was fun. Great song. Groan Man, Don't Cry and Harlequin were two of the most tedious songs I've listened to in a while.

Oops my b. Here have these: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/paddy-mcaloon/i-trawl-the-megahertz/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/明田川荘之-三上寛-石塚俊明/大勘定-daikanjyo/
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/lil-ugly-mane/prelude-to-panopticon-on-doing-an-evil-deed-blues/

I agree that some songs on here can drag, since the album isn't as packed with samples like a normal Books album-- too bad tracks like Idiom Wind and F U C-3PO didn't make it up for you

F U C-3PO was a pretty good song I'll give you that.

Some stuff I did like though!

[1/2]

Albert Ayler - Love Cry (1968)
>Free Jazz

A wild album all around but in a completely different way than, say, *Spiritual Unity*. Ayler works with more of a... twisted marching band sound of Greenwich Village into something quite beautiful honestly. The music here is so bizarre yet uplifting in a magical way. It’s free but not so free that it’s wandering or chaotic. The band keeps a nice groove going underneath things which makes it feel much kinder and more approachable than other Ayler albums I’ve heard. The use of the harpsichord on here is just brilliant too imo, it adds this extra touch of beauty to an already spiritual album. It isn’t quite psychedelic but that extra instrumentation adds something really special. Never thought jazz this free would be so uplifting and beautiful but I guess Ayler proved me wrong on this one.

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician (1987)
>Noise Rock, Experimental Rock

This one just packs in the cool ideas doesn’t it? I think this is just a brilliant summary of psychedelic music in general, as generic as that sounds. The band mostly plays around with noisy soundscapes but also manages to balance experimentation with catchy riffs and a whole lotta fun.

“Sweat Loaf” is a prime example. It starts off with a super corny intro but then starts droning along in noisy fashion, drifts into passages of psychedelia and messes with pitches, effects and what I’d assume are tape manipulations along the way. The riffs are searing and weirdly catchy, even as the band warps them as the track progresses.

[2/2]

Both “Graveyard” and “Pittsburgh to Lebanon” are fairly standard noise rock cuts, trudging through walls of distortion but still managing to be catchy and fun. “Hay” sees the band deal with more direct tape manipulation (as a reversal of “22 Going on 23”) and it’s a nice touch of experimentation as an interlude. “USSA” is pretty hilarious, as is “Kuntz” which actually brings in a Thai folk song.

The real triumphs of the album though are “Human Cannonball”, an incredibly catchy surf rock track thrown in the mix and “22 Going on 23” which is a maniacal, fucked up sludge song. “22 Going on 23” in particular manages to convey this crazy disturbing atmosphere unlike anything else I’ve heard by them. It’s a great way to close the album too.

Anyway, a scattered album that managed to keep me engaged the whole time and keep me thinking. Plus it’s just bizarrely fun… much better than I had anticipated.

You know the drill lads.

What's the drill

Post qt monstergirls, discuss qt monstergirls, write about qt monstergirls. Especially qt birb girls. No futa, no traps. If you're into that kind of thing, please make your own thread instead.

fvck free improv lol, especially if it is weebimprov

It's european with some neat ethnic flavours.
You will listen to it and you will fucking like it.

>tfw no one from daily is liking that sightings record

having a monstergirl thread without traps is like eating a hard-boiled egg without salt

MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD DUDE!

;_;

0 is good innit

I still don't know what any of these terms are

Well aren't you the coolest, not knowing about things on the internet! So above it all!

That was the unspoken implication, yes.

>Jan Dukes de Grey - Sorcerers
These songs come and go really quick, most tracks display some enchanting instrumentation whether it is from strings, wind or percussions but as a whole, the progressive and psychedelic bits give an impression of interesting ideas not yet developed.
6-

>Tenhi - Saivo
Monotonous, after the opening track and the one that followed I thought I would be writing better things about it. Some kind of a shame that with such an ease to evoke intriging dark atmosphere, and having powerful arrangements in a reduced set of instrumentation, the record never takes off from its flat surface.

anyone got any sad brained ambient music from 2018?

Hey I don't dislike it. All the elements are there. Needs time.

first ep posted i listen to and review go

>Keith Richards - The Koln Concert
Is this jazz? If it's jazz I'll take more. Lovely.

>Joe McPhee - Nation Time
He makes the sax squeal and go all crazy yet it's not repulsive. Other people should do that. When that organ comes in on Nation Time though, that's awesome.

The Offspring - 1986 Demo Tape

actually fuck that meme listen to Music Out Of The Moon

heard it try again

oh lol took you thirty seconds to get it right ok done

why are all kpop threads about how hot their dances are?

>why are all kpop threads about how hot their dances are?
bro I think they're just horny

Keith Richards is not jazz, no.

Btw you listened to Gloria Ann Taylor - Deep Inside You? That's also great
yellow fever

>why are all kpop threads about how hot their dances are?

Some more reviews while I'm at it.

[1/2]

Orbital - II (1993)
>Acid Techno, Ambient Techno

A very well done dance album, with a strong, strong link to the 90s trip-hop sound. The 90s atmosphere is both a huge plus, as it’s very in its time in a joyful, 90s dance kind of way… but it’s also a big downside as this sound is already dated and a bit corny. There’s plenty of energy all over the album, since it is a techno release but there’s this tint of psychedelia that keeps it fresh and energized. The album kind of throws you into these hypnotic passages where I can definitely see myself zoning out and just grooving along to this on the dance floor. Orbital clearly knows how to mix things up, not relying too heavily on one tempo or sound. That’s what makes an album from this time so good imo and enjoyable outside of a party atmosphere. This isn’t nonstop anything, it’s varied while remaining lush and melodic all throughout. Honestly, this isn’t really my music and I don’t see myself going back to it very often but it’s a pretty nice project.

[2/2]

Joan Armatrading - s/t (1976)
>Folk Pop, Pop Soul

Joan weirdly reminds me of Joni Mitchell, if only she had a fuller voice and a little hint of soul. She has some of the same little quirks and vocal flairs which I found quite interesting since I was not expecting that. Joan however, has a little more depth to her voice which is more up my alley. Her voice compliments the album quite well, as these tracks mostly rely on a bit of a groove and her vocals provide a nice level of energy to the whole thing. This album kind of puts you through the ringer as far as styles go, with folkier tracks complimented by smooth soul, some R&B and a bit of rock. It’s all kind of in the same wheelhouse so it isn’t too scattered but I think this sits in this weird 70s singer-songwriter area. None of the songs are distinct enough, either in style or compared to other tracks and none feel like they rock enough or have enough soul. It’s just a mush of styles and feels like a watered down blend. Nothing pops on the album aside from the last 3 or 4 tracks which is a shame because Armatrading has a tremendous voice.

>Keith Richards - The Koln Concert
I think you mean "Köln" you dummy

here let me just make a post right here...mmmmmm

fuck I actually wrote keith richards
i'm sorry lads
not at all sorry jangle
Halcyon + On + On fuckin kicks ass tho right same with the original sample
youtube.com/watch?v=TjIPzyVlK60

yes she's amazing

i feel like i'm at a drive-in silent film date sharing popcorn in the 50s. i feel like i'm in italy, and i have a huge family, and the sky is bright. i feel romanticism in the sincerest way, not for an individual, but as a state of whimsy. silky-smooth fabrics, powdered noses, and vibrant calm cities (depending on time of day ofc).

the use of theramin in this album is amazing. i realized recently i make theramin-like shapes with my hand when i sing, and i'm pretty tempted to get one just to play around with it (drumset is first priority right now though sadly). the cover for this album is incredibly suiting, and the whole thing just feels purplish-blue to me, dark and shiney, sleek but not entirely clean.
8/10 would be 9/10 if it were a tad bit more diverse

Yeah man this was like THE first theramin album. So ahead of it's time, even the cover looks way later than the 40s. Predates space-age pop by about a decade too.

pls I need to feel sad tonight

aurawire.bandcamp.com/album/tomorrow-comes
Tell me if its any good

:(

i LOVE 0. normally i cannot stand albums with lots of singing that aren't in english because i cannot understand them, but 0 is just so peaceful and warm and listening to it makes me feel really cozy.

i'll try to get to these as soon as i can. thanks guys (:

>tomorrow comes
what an ironic title that is for tonight

goodnight sweet prince

nah I can't sleep
it's been almost exactly a year since a buddy of mine, a childhood friend and fellow military service member, killed himself. not having a good evening lol

double post since i realized the lil ugly mane rec is 1 track.

i listened to that and liked it a lot. what album should i start with w/ lil ugly mane?