/jazz/

It's snowy and the roads are icy here.

I'm going to stay in and drink coffee and listen to jazz. Post your best jazz albums and talk about anything jazz related.

mingus ah um

patrician pick there OP

migos ah um

>the composition of standards died out with the musicals they were written for.

Where does someone even start if they wanted to try playing jazz piano? I can already read music and know some basic theory.

try this book. hire a tutor that has played jazz professionally.

1. Listen to jazz pianists. Find a few that you really like and listen to them constantly. Get to the point where you've heard your favorite tracks so many times that you can sing along with the solos.

2. Practice sight reading as often as you can. Start very very basic if you haven't read much music before and progress slowly. Eventually your goal should be to work up to the point where you can sight read a Charlie Parker solo at a decent level.

3. Basic technique. You should know all your major and minor scales and arpeggios inside and out. Playing 7th chords in their various inversions should be second nature. The Hanon Virtuoso pianist book can be good for practicing these and the various patterns you can do with them.

4. Basic theory. Figure out all your major and minor triads and their inversions, then move on to 7th chords (it all goes along with the scales and arpeggios) Once you've got those down then learn how to do Roman numeral analysis and practice by analyzing some Bach chorales until it becomes second nature.

5. Jazz theory. Pick up some kind of a jazz theory text (Mark Levine's is good) and then pick an easy standard to learn and start learning it from a leadsheet.

6. Start transcribing piano solos you like. Find a piano solo on whatever standard you're learning and transcribe that. Analyze the solo and figure out why it works theoretically.

These aren't necessarily progressive, since you can work on most of these areas concurrently but some of them are prerequisites for others. For instance it won't do you any good to start trying to understand jazz theory if you don't have a very strong grasp of the basic stuff.

Also this having a teacher will help enormously

Well where I live it is a hot 35C night
Can anyone rec me some sweaty, fast, club jazz?

>sight reading Charlie Parker solos

I know plenty of saxophonists who practice sight-reading by playing Charlie Parker solos in random keys

barrel of laughs they must be

bump

currently playing this on vinyl

good thread, keep it alive pls:)

i rec ben webster- music for loving

bump

Is fusion welcome here?

Loved this album. I'm really into smooth, chill ass jazz. Can anyone recommend something like this?

sure

I haven't listened to ECM artists

reminder that seminal white-hop album has cover art based off of this

What are some good free jazz albums like pic related?

John Coltrane - Ballads
Chet Baker - Chet; or With Fifty Strings; or most Chet Baker
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission
Miles Davis - Ascenseur Pour l'Echafaud and most of Miles' Modal period (primarily '49-'59)
Bil Evans - Portrait in Jazz
Maybe some bossa like Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz

start with those and branch out based on the style/artists that you like best

this one's definitely a favorite, although I'm having trouble getting a physical copy of it lately

Really digging this at the moment
I think I got it through a jazz general last week, so thanks user!

Eric Dolphy - Iron Man
Doug Hammond - Spaces
Cecil Taylor - Silent Tongues
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

Forgot to add, Miles also pretty much invented Cool Jazz so look up who played in his first quintet and how they developed over the 50's

Oh nice, thanks. I'll make sure to check all of these out.

not the one who rec'd it but if you haven't listened to modern jazz quartet, I'd recommend it. Milt Jackson plays vibes in it. I like "Space", "Pyramid", and "The Sheriff" the most of their albums

my favorite "second great quintet" album; after that, ESP and Miles Smiles

All of those albums are masterpieces