Why do people like this again? listened to it today and it might be the most overrated album of all time

why do people like this again? listened to it today and it might be the most overrated album of all time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PWAXepCzAmM
youtube.com/watch?v=2G1VO3kHIjM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can you tell why?

It's something you have to train your ear to like. If you still don't like it then it's just your taste. It isn't overrated, it's an album that completes it's goal and that makes it good. I don't like it either, The Seer is better IMO but what can you do?

I found it boring. Zoned out completely at oxygen I believe

Maybe you weren't in the mood, or maybe you haven't listened to enough music to make you appreciate it (like post rock or drone). It is a very, very exhausting listen indeed. Also, it is an album that relies much more in emotions than actual pleasure; it is supposed to be aggresive and even grotesque, and not something you'd play in the background while you do some other things like reading or browsing the internet. That's just my opinion.

If you didn't like it anyways that's ok

It seems like a very very niche genre and because it's also a very good album in that genre it automatically gets 10/10s for being difficult.

I thought it was okay cause I don't care about post-rock. I think you have to will yourself into a trance with it or something.

It's not that niche, pretty entry-level as far as Sup Forums is concerned. But if you're new to experimental music nu-swans can take a while to click
Also The Seer is better

Swans isn't entry level wtf
I agree with you with The Seer tho

>appreciate
>Swans
i love how post rock chuds like to pretend their music is over the heads of other kinds of listeners when it's really just incredibly dull and lifeless. the most D-rate New Music composer can run laps around the best of this shite (which To Be Kind doesn't even count as)

A good amount of Sup Forums (not me) see Swans as "poseur-core" and "entry level hipster garbage"

>Swans isn't entry level wtf
t. earlet

same. i wouldn't call it entry level. they're not accesible at all, but they're posted a lot here that it is impossible not to get to know that there is a band named swans.

i'd rather call them a mu essential

there are literally TBK flairs on r/indieheads. Swans are babby's first "difficult" music. i agree that they're a bit more abstract than like the most pop music sensibility shit like classic rock, britpop, etc., but as music goes, they're still a much more listenable band than a TON of stuff

Because it's good.

I got into them because of the "Her" cover by Onyourwings. Is this worse?

wtf, i'm not pretending anything. i just said it might not be an accesible lp for someone who isn't into post rock or that sort of music.

also, why would you call it dull and lifeless? you're just being snobby, or you just didn't get shit. i'd understand if you called them pretentious or something like that

i fucking hate how many of you want to tell people what to listen, and how you call shit everything you don't like. let people enjoy shit for once!!

it's dull and lifeless because the band extends the same cloying textures across much longer expanses than are really deserved. there's barely any development in the music or even little meanderings. the music doesn't really create a space or an atmosphere so much as assaults the listener's senses with one feeling for an extended period of time. compare that to drone by like Malcolm Goldstein or La Monte Young or even the first GYBE album and their EP if you refuse to step outside of rock music. there's always a feeling of tension or suspended time and space. Swans are emperor's new clothes music that people convince themselves isn't boring because they think that post rock and drone are supposed to be such, but they can be exciting, even in extended instrumental portions that sort of meander.

it's hilarious you think i "didn't get" something about Swans. i assure you, i listen to much more complicated music that plenty of people like yourself would find completely inscrutable. it's not a lack of understanding but a coming out on the other side that has made me appreciate how derivative and bad Swans are at what they do. and really, what could you expect? the band started in the 80s as an exciting and challenging No Wave band that was genuinely attacking the mold of popular music writ large. but Michael Gira clearly got jealous of Thurston Moore being friends with Glenn Branca and being taken seriously as an actual artiste in the '90s and tried to put together these longer, denser works, but he just doesn't have the talent or know-how.

>i assure you, i listen to much more complicated music that plenty of people like yourself would find completely inscrutable

fucking kek

What's the "complicated music" you listen to, user? I'm genuinely curious and could get to learn a new band/artist. Also not all their music is dull and lifeless, listen to youtu.be/PWAXepCzAmM

I want to get into more obscure music
Give me an album to listen to that does Swans better than Swans

>hurr durr i listen to difficult stuff, therefore i'm smarter and better than you and you should listen to stuff i say

t. earlets

why don't any of you try looking into the artists i already mentioned in this post before you bother me like this

I've heard them before and they're pretty basic IMO, like I said earlier it comes down to taste.

why don't you try letting people enjoy whatever they want before spitting garbage like that?

I don't think GYBE are really measurably more complex or "atmosphere creating" than TBK/The Seer

also, is this guy the biggest pseud currently on Sup Forums?

Cringe

But I actually want to know, you didn't post any albums apart from the GYBE ones I've already heard

swans is really entry level on Sup Forums lol
get over yourself
not him but good drone would be lawrence english and sarah davachi (with a colour for autumn and the untuning of the sky, respectively)
if you havent listened to the ascension by glenn branca listen to it immediately
rever by larsen is very gy!be like, and is even produced by michael gira.
then again i'm a earlet swans fan so idk

I've been wanting to listen to The Ascension for a while now, but I've never gotten around to it cause it's not on Spotify

youtube.com/watch?v=2G1VO3kHIjM
here you go
or soulseek it