Be honest, do you miss him?

Be honest, do you miss him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_DByPy8aEPw&t=3s
youtube.com/watch?v=OxZZb95Tk0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wilfred brimley died?

im so sorry

No. He's a good ideas guy, but he is in SERIOUS need of a good editor, and people who will keep his more wild ideas in check.

Yes. He was an auteur too pure for this degenerate world.

Not at all.

Yes. He was creative and had original movies once upon a time.

his wife used to keep him in check for the original movies

imagine having to sleep next to a younger lucas and hearing him talk in his sleep "... furry midgets...zzzz... little hairy men of the jungle... zzz THERMAL DETONATOR!....zzzz *fart*"

Your problem is still bothering with Star Wars in the first place, the franchise ended with Return of the Jedi.

Absolutely. Doesn't feel like Star Wars anymore.

no

lol

I miss the whole no more Star Wars will be made until he dies (then the estate would sell out to Disney).
I shouldn't have had to deal with this shit on Sup Forums at all.

The prequels did nothing wrong except Jar Jar, if you read the pre-Disney books (which I didn't have to in order to make the connection myself) chlormedians are the median between the physical world and the force.

The books are full of creatures that feed on things with "a higher affinity to the force", and if you look at it from a sith perspective instead of the stupid jedi's (which every fucking fan but me seems incapable of), you would understand why.

The chlormedians, like any bacteria are full of proteins, but unlike other bacteria also allow for a greater connection to the force. Dumb animals wouldn't recognize this without the bacteria, a rancor has little use for mind tricks. But once it ingested the high amount of chlormedians it would feel a strength and vitality it had not known before, thus it would be compelled to instinctually seek out things that had high amounts of this bacteria in it because that made the better meal.

AND in case anyone had forgotten, the prequels were not the story of the jedi, but of the sith. Jedi fanboys couldn't wrap their heads around this, nor of sith wisdom, so they disparaged what they could not understand.

Much like the jedi.

of course, and I'm sorry george

reminder lucas was a literal manlet

Yes, he is an ideas man, but that means both good and bad ideas. Somewhere in the mess of the prequels there was a truly great story that got forgotten by the time Jar Jar and Dexter Jettster were thought up. At least his ideas are original (relatively speaking).

Disney needs your help George. They cant not retread of the OT

nope, I like George but his ego is as big as his chin , plus he hates directing

youtube.com/watch?v=_DByPy8aEPw&t=3s

YES

What is happening here and why is this always posted without audio

>nothing wrong

what's the story here?

Haha jesus christ

Basically this. I think that's the same reason why Breaking Bad S5 wasn't quite as good.
I actually feel sorry for George though because despite being insanely rich he is now too afraid to do his passion after people eviscerated the prequels.
I wish he could regain some confidence and make something that isn't Star Wars.

>CGI Chairs

wow

Pretty much this. Earlier in his career, he seemed aware of this fact and was quick to bring in other people to refine his ideas. It's why he had help writing and editing Star Wars, and had other people write and direct the other two OT movies. Then he fired Gary Kurtz and went through a divorce with his main creative partner and started believing the hype about him being a genius. The prequels are mostly the result of his massively inflated ego and refusal to hear criticism.

I miss being able to blank OP post

>tfw he wasn't aware of being a great team player because he was constantly at odds with people

must've been a rude awakening when he had to act alone

It's a joke

No.
The prequels were worse than TFA or RO. RO was much, much better than TFA.

When his influence was limited the movies are good. They're even better without him. No Jar-Jar tier retardation, every fucking character doesn't have to have a lightsaber, etc.

No. Furthermore, I believe there should be some sort of law that prohibits directors from going back and fucking with thier original works.

Literally the epitome of Great ideas, Horrendous execution.

I'll give him credit that the prequels were at least original and memorable despite being inferior to VII (which isn't bad, just mediocre as hell)

I fail to see the problem

>despite being insanely rich he is now too afraid to do his passion after people eviscerated the prequels.
I seriously doubt this. if you watch interviews made with him recently, it's very obvious he still has a massive ego and doesn't like criticism. He'll say basically anything to defend the prequels and insinuate that everyone who doesn't like them is an idiot that doesn't understand what Star Wars is. It doesn't seem like he think he did anything wrong, or that people have a reason to dislike his choices.

He's been talking about making artistic passion projects since right after Star Wars came out. It's always been the thing he's said he really wants to do, and will start after whatever he's using for an excuse (usually Star Wars) ends. And he never does it. It's not because of criticism, it's just because he's lazy and perfectly content to rest on his laurels while maintaining an idea that he could do something great and artistic if he really tried.

I like the creatures and vehicles he comes up with, assuming he is the one that comes up with the concepts

No. Movies are better without him.

Some day the prequels will be recognized as the pinnacle of classical storytelling that they are

Prequels have a lot of problems, and yet I enjoy them infinitely more than the new stuff. Lucas was trying to do what I understand as 'film making' and fell short in a lot of ways. The way I see the new ones, it's like they're not even attempting film making, at least not in the way I understand that term.

Stupid lanklet nu-cuck : You created Mara Jade
Based Lucas : I didn't create Mara Jade, you need to get out, REEEEEEEEEeeeee!

fake and staged.

You can't post audio webms on Sup Forums newfag.

It's actually just a skit on robot chicken.

Go back to Réddit.

Things I liked about Lucas:
>every new entry in the Star Wars series felt like a radical departure from the previous ones
>he had his own clear vision of where he wanted things to go, and he didn't really seem to care much about other's other's opinions on the matter
>he seemed almost seems to revel in expanding the Star Wars universe, to the point where he'd make the viewer sit through large chunks of senate-meetings

Things I don't like about Lucas:
>the man couldn't write character-dialogue to save his life (this is true for OT too)
>he seemed almost obsessed with visual effects, always wanting to integrate more and more CGI and computer animated stuff over the practical
>always had a strange sense of humor, that I personally never really "got", everything from Jar Jar to C3PO-R2D2-interaction never really felt comical, even when he clearly intended it to be

Kek

lmao

>Things I liked about Lucas:
>>every new entry in the Star Wars series felt like a radical departure from the previous ones
>>he had his own clear vision of where he wanted things to go, and he didn't really seem to care much about other's other's opinions on the matter
>>he seemed almost seems to revel in expanding the Star Wars universe, to the point where he'd make the viewer sit through large chunks of senate-meetings

>Things I don't like about Lucas:
>>the man couldn't write character-dialogue to save his life (this is true for OT too)
Define good character dialogue
>>he seemed almost obsessed with visual effects, always wanting to integrate more and more CGI and computer animated stuff over the practical
You realize practical effects have they very limits right? I always facepalming over "hurr durr cgi is bad"faggots. You are ignorant to the point where you can't even figure out what is cgi and what is practical effects (like those plebs who claimed Frozen having cgi wolves)
>>always had a strange sense of humor, that I personally never really "got", everything from Jar Jar to C3PO-R2D2-interaction never really felt comical, even when he clearly intended it to be
That's because you're edgelord.

>But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

>“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

>A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

>“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Give it up Lucas.

>Define good character dialogue
Okay, character dialogue that sounds believable between two people who talk like actual people do and not how writers THINK they do. I can just point to the "sand" line, honestly.

>You realize practical effects have they very limits right?
Of course, but if there was one thing Fury Road proves to everyone, it was that practical effects look much better when done right, and will probably hold up much better in 20 years.

>That's because you're edgelord.
I'm actually very easily entertained.

when people die in the new movies I could actually care less

Why is this?

>Darth Icky’

>floor snaps in

Honestly? I do.

Let's get this out of the way: Episode 1 wasn't nearly as bad as people say it is.. Sure, there were some stupid things, like the dialogue and midichlorians and fucking Jar Jar, but you could tell that George had a passion for it, something which many filmmakers today seem to be lacking. If you watch the various interviews he did during the weeks leading up to the release of The Phantom Menace, you could tell that he was genuinely happy that he could finally bring the world his vision of what Star Wars should be. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't agree with that, and as a result he ended up getting shat upon by literally everyone and their grandmother. Imagine pouring your heart and soul into this one film that everyone has been asking for since ROTJ was released in the 80s, only to have it be universally hated by everyone, and you can see what caused him to become the soulless husk of his former self that he is today. It wasn't necessarily that TPM was a bad film; It's just that it was a bad Star Wars film. If you ignore the fact that it's officially in the same universe as the originals, it's still a fun little space flick, with some damn good effects (for the time, at least) and a memorable cast.

That said, I feel like where George really fucked up was when he started to release the Special Editions. It's one thing to release a "new" version of some of the most beloved films ever made, but to never re-release the original prints was seen as a "Fuck You" to the fans. Had George released both the SE and uncut versions together, then he probably wouldn't be as hated as he is today. Instead, he let his autism take over and basically told everyone "This is the REAL version, those ones you grew up with don't count", which is the worst possible thing he could have done.

George made some mistakes, but in the end, he did them because he cared about Star Wars. Disney, on the other hand, only cares about money, and it shows.

What is this from?

>but in the end, he did them because he cared about Star Wars.
>retconned everything that made the OT good
>sold SW out for toys and children

As opposed to Disney retconning Han, Leia, and Luke's character arcs in the OT with TFA and pumping out a new Star Wars every year?

I can't forgive the NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO the most important scene in all of the films and he fucked it up

I'm not defending Disney. Just saying Lucas is a hack and a sell out, not someone to admire.

I feel like he only sold out as a final middle finger to all the people who hated him, as if to say "You think I'm bad? Just wait until Disney is finished with Star Wars, you'll literally be begging for me to come back."

you can't miss lucas without missing the entirety of america that's gone now.

After TFA? Yes.
After R1? No.

JarJar Abraham is the biggest hack fraud working in film.

Love that CGI so much. Has aged so much better than what we saw in Episode 2

youtube.com/watch?v=OxZZb95Tk0s

I would be really curious to hear his ideas for Episodes 7-9. Just his IDEAS, not anything more than that a few basic storyboards. As shitty as the prequels are, I'm a little sad we'll never officially know what (if any) ideas he had for the last trilogy.

He's like any creative person in that they need to be reined in. They all seem to fuck up on every level when they have unlimited freedom for too long. George was never going to have that again, so I can never miss him too much, because I know he would never be told what was shitty about his stuff.

He sold out with episode one, way before Disney. As soon as you were 5 minutes in the movie, you could tell you weren't watching "Star Wars" anymore. You were watching Lucas's autism.

That scene is actually pretty kino. Until the fucking idiot says "ouch time" and ruins it.

>that perfect unnoticeable grass transition at 7 secs in.

Lucas reminds of Tomino. Good auteurs with vision, but they can't help themselves by inserting stupid sophomoric humor and gags where they don't belong. They need dedicated No Men and a crew of editors.

>He sold out with episode one,

He had been planning the prequels literally since Empire came out. I don't understand how he "sold out".

>He sold out with episode one, way before Disney.

He sold out as soon as the first Star Wars was released in 1977.

Or did he produce the Christmas special for artistic reasons?

>toys
>didn't care about the fanbase
>retconned the OT
>mace dindu for more demographics
A portrait of Lucas is next to the world sell-out in the dictionary.

>He had been planning the prequels literally since Empire came out.
That depends on your point of view. during the immediate hype surrounding the production of empire, Lucas started talking about a huge plan involving eventual prequels, but he didn't seem to have done much in the way of planning them out or coming up with stories. During the making of ROTJ, he got burned out and cancelled his plans for Star Wars sequels, condensed the rough ideas for his original sequel trilogy, and vowed that ROTJ would be the last movie. Eventually, in the early 90s, he got the idea to make revisit his plans or a prequel trilogy and started planning it out, but didn't really seem to have much of a story until 1994 or so, and what ended up becoming TPM borrowed heavily from the first draft of The Star Wars.

So yes, he had thrown out the idea of making prequels around ESB's release, but it really seems like that was just big talk. There isn't much evidence he had any stories planned, and he gave up on that idea pretty quickly. And when he finally did decide to make the prequels, he ended up cannibalizing his old ideas because he didn't have anything else lined up. To me, that doesn't really count as having them planned out.

>t. shabbost goyim

The Art of Star Wars the Force Awakens revealed some of it.

They did a storyboard for the original opening of the film, which would involve a refitted Rebel ship tugging a dilapidated Imperial Cruiser to a Junk Planet (Jakku) in parallel to the original film. Sam Solo (Finn), the son of Han & Leia would be with Chewie and R2D2, the ship would malfunction and they'd all end up in different escape pods on the Junk Planet.
Kira (Rey)and other scavengers on the planet would see this and begin scavenging the crashed Star Destroyer. The Junk Planet (Jakku in the film) was a partially flooded world, with dozens of pieces of concept art depicting its environment ranging from wetlands to glacier-like to industrial. He'd meet Kira (Rey), a scavenger and jedi adept, and Luke Skywalker. How exactly is ambiguous. Kira seems to be Sam's twin sister, left in Luke's care.

The "Jedi Killer" (Kylo Ren) would show up, Luke would be captured and tortured, Sam and Kira would escape with lightsabers. And is Luke's son. He was a distinct character from Sam and/or the son of Han Solo. He wore a mask to literally impersonate Darth Vader, to prey upon Luke Skywalker psychologically. He hunted down Jedi and plundered Jedi temples. He wore multiple lightsabers from slain Jedi. He would ‘eat’ the solar energy from stars to gain power.

The Macguffin for the film was the helmet and ashes of Darth Vader, originally in Luke’s possession, and later falling to the Jedi Killer. Then they would meet with Han Solo somehow who for whatever reason would ask them to hunt some Rathars, which would take them to the jungle planet Felucia or another like it. The lightsaber duel finale on the snow world was locked in very early. The original ending involved Kira scavenging the flooded ruin of the Death Star II on Endor for a map to hidden Jedi, where Luke departs to secretly at the end of the film.

The only movie he ever made that was even remotely interesting was THX 1138.

Trips of truth.

holy shit the only new concepts in TFA were the shitty ideas of Lucas, no wonder it sucked

does anyone know what Lucas's plan was for Jar Jar?

He apprently was supposed to grow throughout the trilogy basically have a Lando like arc where everyone despises him at first but by episode 3 love him

But the kikes at disney have so far made better movies than Lucas ever will.

No, those movies are popular so we must be contrarian FUCKING KIKE DISNEY NIGGERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yes. Fuck Disney and their SJW bullshit.

Yes
Prequel trilogy wasn't as good as the main 3 chapters but still you can call them SW.
Disney fucked up

t. lucas

Yes. I just rewatched the prequels. TPM is a bad movie. Far worse than Jar Jar is kid Anakin. Not that there aren't some good things going on, but just some dumb things and it hasn't aged well. BUT! AotC, popularly hailed as the worst Star Wars movie was quite good. It's the longest sw movie, but I couldn't feel it, it was paced quite well. Detective Obi Wan was interesting and it transitioned well between it and the love subplot. Which could have been better, but maybe in weird for this, but I really didn't mind. The dialogue was honestly not that bad. The sand line? It fit with what came before and after it. I've also never had a problem with Hayden's acting. There's even a little nuance to it. The space politics here,while not what Star Wars fans wanted to see, were quite interesting.
All this bleeds into RotS. Now, this movie had some befuddling tonal shifts and honestly confusingly dumb moments especially at the beginning. However it can be forgiven for the satisfying resolution of and conclusion to the politics and Palpatine's maneuvering. Anakin's fall makes plenty of since if you pay attention to the trilogy. I'm sorry if it ruined your darth Vader, but it was interesting to see. RotS, for me at least, did have that emotional punch, especially thanks to Ewan.
Basically it boils down to expectations. The OT was driven by characters, specifically Luke and his growth. The PT exists in an entirely different realm, and could almost be a different franchise. It's driven by broad conflicts and political change. The time and style of story is entirely different. But upon watching them again, they really honestly are not bad films. TPM is, and the they two, especially RotS have some questionable things, but they're largely well done and interesting movies. Read Richard Brody's review for a more well written analysis. These are my 100% honest opinions, I know many will disagree, but there is something worth seeing in the prequels

The Force Awakens didnt, Rogue One is Star Kino, the magic is back.

Yes, he's awesomely misunderstood.

George Lucas is a great guy.

The prequels didn't feel like the OT either

it was fun to see him drive star wars into the ground in his idiosyncratic, insane way, but shit like kingdom of the crystal, red tails, and strange magic lacked the same charm.

i wish he would get around to making those personal, experimental films he always talks about.

Is this from Bug's Life?

post moar Rogue One webms

>Rogue One is Star Kino, the magic is back
holy shit kys

>transport
>doesn't have shields

lmao what the fuck. The ONE ship you would expect to have defensive shielding before any other.

How can the rebels even compare?

Also man is the Star Destroyer beautiful.

too many muppets. you can see in the actor's faces, even in empire, how sick they are of having to act against fucking robots and puppets all day

interview with lucas arts employees after disney dissolved it

>posting fake meme facts

doesn't look like anything to me

you're a worthless faggot with awful opinions
die slow