Spoilers of Assasins Creed Movie

Opinions with spoilers right here, haven't seen it, spoil it to me, please!

Overall movie is meh. A shame because it has big names such as Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, and Jeremy Irons, and yet fail to make a good pacing and excitement.

Full of violence from start to finish, parkour is OK. If you just want to watch something with a blank mind then by all means go ahead.

I dunno if this is spoiler or not but some in-game weapons such as Altair's sword, rope dart, and hidden shoe blade (Shao Jun's) appear in the movie. By the time you see who uses it you'll probably go 'heh' and move on.

If they're making a sequel I do hope that they learn from their mistakes and tie-in some in game characters as they share the same universe.

Kurzel tried to save a 0/10 script by turning it into an art film. Surprisingly atmospheric, even dreamlike at times, with a droning score and a very cold and artificial feel during the modern day scenes (no doubt bolstered by ridiculous dialogue that does sound straight out of a dream. "I'm hungry.")

Too little time spent in the past. But these scenes are all great. Dialogue is in spanish instead of english. Action scenes are gorgeously framed and shot and the choreography is kinetic and fluid. The stake-burning scene and ensuing chase halfway through the film blows any other recent blockbuster out of the water.

All in all, the cinematography, atmosphere, sound design, editing and fight choreography are all top-notch while the actual plot, character development and pacing are absolute bottom-of-the-barrel.

so the trailer is just a collection of all the worst scenes in the movie?

looks worse than the Resident Evil """flicks"""

This was helpful in determining if I should see it, thank you user

Movie is meh, as an Assassin's Creed adaptation it's meh, they removed all the good story parts(the ancestor's story) and instead focused on the shitty parts(the future).
It's obvious that they're trying to make this a movie series so it ends in an unsatisfying manner so people would be baited to watch the sequel, if they ever make one.

But it is the most kino video game adaptation so far.
The personal conflict of the main character is from him hating his father for killing his mother, when he confronts his father, he is told that his father planned to kill him too, but couldn't.
This is later resolved by having him experience his ancestor's life when the ancestor's lover is killed(for the sake of the creed, mirroring his mother's fate) and also that the creed's ally betrayed the cause for the survival of his son(mirroring his father's decision not to kill him despite that choice being the most logical to protect the creed).

kino/10

forgot to mention, even the historical scenes are kind of fucked over by repeatedly cutting to present-day Fassbender spazzing around in the animus. It gets obnoxious pretty fast and it comes close to ruining a climatic duel at one point.

The worst scenes in the movie are anything set in the present-day, I suppose.

It's nowhere near as bad as the Resident Evil flicks. I'd say it's probably the best video game movie I've ever seen. Definitely the most "artistic" and ambitious. You can see that Kurzel was legitimately trying, he just had nothing to work with.

>the best video game movie I've ever seen
NO, DON'T!
You'll summon posts about Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter!

Does the movie capture the real spirit of the games? Templars are good gusy and assassins are bad guys.

There's a weird moment where the movie tries to establish the racial diversity of the good guys.

There's 5 good guys, 3 white guys, 1 black guy, 1 asian chick.
2 white guys die so at the end of the movie it's 1 of each, though the only one to actually do shit is the main white guy.

I never played beyond Revelations so I'm not sure, it ends with the idea that the Templars are trying to control the world for their benefit while Assassins are making sacrifices to protect the status quo.

In unity you find a bunch of templars using the assassins to kill their competitions and making fun of them because they just need to yell templars and the assassins run to kill them.

Not really. There's some stuff about how the Templars are trying to eliminate violence - which they believe runs in your bloodline - altogether with the Apple of Eden (and given that the main character, a descendant of assassins, is a pretty aggressive guy, they do seem to have a point), but that gets pushed aside in favor of standard eliminating-free-will-to-control-the-planet shit.

There's nothing really establishing the Assassins as particularly good guys, aside from them opposing a group that wants to eradicate free will. Much emphasis is put on how assassins must be willing to sacrifice not only their own lives but those of others.

Yeah assassins have always been rotten to the core, just look at the first game.

There's really nothing to spoil.
The story is quite predictable and if you've played the games you know exactly what you'll get.

What's the name of Aguilar's lover? So basically they get the apple or they don't? Sophia gets killed? Any major spoilers there? Could someone narrate the movie or anything?

Maria (based off the wikipedia page. IIRC they didn't mention it in the film)
Templars get the apple using Aguilar's memories, but Callum waltzes into their meeting (somehow) and makes off with it. That's the end of the film.
Sophia doesn't die, but her dad does.

There aren't a lot of major spoilers because as some anons have already said there isn't a whole lot of plot

I honestly don't remember the name of Aguilar's lover, she just goes along for the ride, she dies just after Aguilar gets the Apple but for some reason she shows up later during an ancestor reunion thing implying that Callum is Aguilar and her descendant, oh and the ancestor reunion thing is so that Callum can talk to his dead mother so he'd accept his Assassin lineage.
They find the memory of Aguilar giving the apple to Columbus and the Templars get their hands on it but Callum kills Alan(Sophia's dad) and takes the Apple back during a Templar gathering thing.
Sophia genuinely believed the Apple could be used to rid humans of their aggressive nature but didn't realize that it would remove free will, she was troubled by this and later realized that it is the only way. After letting Callum kill her father she gets all emotional and tells the Templar elders that she'll give them the Apple but Lynch is hers, setting her up as sequel villain.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure.
Who was the female Assassin ancestor that Sophia noticed before she left the building, was it Aguilar's lover?
I was too bored by the movie to notice.

Hopefully they learn the right lesson from this one and fix the script for the sequel with more time spent on the historical portions, rather than changing the director or cinematographer or forcing them to adhere more to the blockbuster norm.

I went to the Regal Cinema and bought a ticket and attended a viewing of "Assassin's Creed." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the movie was terrible. As I watched, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the character announced instead that he was going out to "stretch his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times.

I figured that was actually Sophia's ancestor, not Aguilar's. Since she was the one that noticed the ancestor. Probably hinting at some sort of assassin lineage.

Wouldn't they just cancel the plans for a sequel?

I hope not. Given a proper script, this cast and crew have plenty of potential.

Callum entered the animus 3 times.
1st he had no idea what was going on, he wore a shirt.
2nd he was forced to enter the animus, he wore a shirt.
3rd he went willingly and for some reason he took of his shirt, it made the scenes after that really weird.

>he cinematography, atmosphere, sound design, editing and fight choreography are all top-notch while the actual plot, character development and pacing are absolute bottom-of-the-barrel.
Sounds just like Rogue One

>Callum entered the anus 3 times
What did he mean by this?

who are you quoting here? are you insane?

Rogue One's fight choreography and editing were nothing special at best and downright mediocre at worst. I don't recall it having any atmosphere at all, and the cinematography isn't actually very impressive beyond the large-scale CGI shots of the Death Star firing and stuff.

On the other hand, its subpar plot and dialogue are still miles ahead of AssCreed's fever-dream script, so I guess it evens out.