Was the Darth Vader joke clever / funny or not?

Was the Darth Vader joke clever / funny or not?

it was neither clever nor funny because vader never makes puns in 4-6

>Canadian "scientists"

neither, and it was also not offensive or out of place

>Ep 4
>Death Star trench run
>"I'm sorry, Luke, I won't TIE you down any longer."

>Ep 5
>Bespin Carbon Freezing room
>Luke, you need to let off some steam

>Ep 5, arrives on hoth
> ah, rebels. ICE to meet you.

>"Apology accepted Captain Needa"
>as he's choking to death

how is this not a pun?

That's not a pun, that's sarcasm.

>strengthen or rehabilitate people's capacity for humor
By making people more dumb dumb so they can find shitty jokes funny again? Amazing!

>Disney releasing study for damage control
>"you are to stupid for our movie"
bravitsima

You don't know what a pun is.

but he did in 1,2,3

>Ep 5
>Bespin exterior walkway
>Luke, I need a hand

Literally not a pun, friendo

Puns literally trigger autists.

puns are for faggot reddit posters who think they're more clever than they are. I fucking hate puns and think they're pathetically unfunny.

OK the pun, whatever, but why did Vader started acting stereotypically black, sayin nigga this nigga that and listening to rap music all the time... was it for a diversity pandering effort? It looks more racist than inclusive if you ask me. I don't remember vader rapping in the original trilogy

What was the pun?

What did Vader actually say?

Puns are almost always good. What's bad is the meta joke that puns are bad. If you follow a pun with a "haha that was so bad amirite guise?" then it's not really a joke anymore.

Puns can be great if they are done in an appropriate setting, i.e a comedy movie like Airplane, or camp 90s action movies with Arnold and co ("consider that a divorce" etc).

Puns are terrible when they are forced into otherwise somewhat serious movies to "lighten the mood". When Vader makes a quip its just ridiculous, and removes some of his aura of danger. Similarily in Marvel quipfests all tension is removed because even in the face of danger, the hero will be quipping and making bad puns constantly.

"don't choke on your own cum, admiral" or something like that

I thought the pun was justified, vader was always a bit of a smart ass.

Canadian Universities are ridiculous sometimes. Especially the ones in the east.

>if you don't find puns funny there's something wrong with you

Why is academia behaving like a bad comedian?

It was too self aware. Vader is flandardized. You could see a bunch of executives in a boarding room trying to make a funny quip to add comedic relief to the intensity of the Vader scene.

They know Vader is iconic for the force choke in episode 4 so they make a force choke pun. But Vader isn't defined by force choke, that's just 1 memorable thing he did in a new hope.

The pun is made by surface level star wars fans saying "member Vaders choke lol" and then surface level fans will go "hey I get it! Lol that's such a Vader thing to say".

This is the Reddit style cancer of something that becomes so popular that you see a surge of late adopters that want to fit in and don't like the series on its own merits.

The RLM rogue one opening skit did a good job of explaining this. But RLM is hypocritical because they bought into TFA hype and TFA pondered worse than rogue one by far.

Or in Commando when he breaks that guys neck next to him on the plane and he says "please don't disturb my friend, he's DEAD tired."

It doesn't seem to explain how you can like some puns and not others. The Vader pun was cringeworthy.

I hate puns because it's the lowest form of humor. "Groan-worthy" humor just never did anything for me.

>I hate puns because it's the lowest form of humor.

then why do the japanese, the most intelligence culture/race, seem to love puns? I think this more puns = more intelligence thing might actually have some merrit. Tell me, do you remember being dumber than everyone else growing up?

literally smarter than everyone I know, skipped a grade

Are we talking about the "choke on your aspiratons" line? Was that... a pun?
For me it seemed just a normal thing for him to say after demonstrating his power. It wasn't meant to be "funny" or "quippy" or something that would offer the scene some amusement. It was a warning - Krennic will choke to death if he won't do what he's told. If you cringed at the line because you thought that it was supposed to be a joke then I think you're reading too much into it.

So you're saying you did one less year of school than everyone else

Yeah... real smart

it makes sense that people who like puns would think they are smarter since puns are pat-yourself-on-the-back tier humor

That's not a pun.
That's punishment.

Remember that famous Pun from a New Hope

>The force of this Death Star cannont compete with the force of the Force
>Dont FORCE your silly beliefs on me Vader

Puns work really well in japanese because of how the language is set up. Since every letter is a constant and vowel pairing, you can get dramatically different meanings from shifting sounds around. This also allows for a large amount of triple and quadruple entendres and some quintuple entendres.

In english, due to the much lower number of rhyming words and a structure that makes rhyming words harder, less puns. And the few puns there are, everyone knows.

>Was the Darth Vader joke clever / funny or not?

No, it was pretty terrible, borderline nooooo tier, but the movie was good.

Doesn't exist.