First 3/4 of film mind numbingly boring

>first 3/4 of film mind numbingly boring
>awful dialogue
>terrible acting
>decent last quarter mostly due to special effects and space battles and vader

How the fuck did this garbage get 90% on rotten tomatoes? It was so bad.

the first part is good
the last part is an action movie tropefest

I believe there is something wrong with you if you thought the first part was good. It has some of the worst acting i've seen in a recent movie and the dialogue was laughable. There were people laughing at how bad it was when I saw it

The movie is good and your mother is a whore

Calm down Jay

eh
it was pretty good

>mfw you'd hate Star Wars if it came out today

there is nothing wrong with the first part other than the shitty pacing

way better then TFA

Wonderful critique
>awful dialogue
All the jokes landed, all the speeches were positively inspiring
>terrible acting
Cassian is my favourite character, and I have mexicans

Why didn't Jyn and Cassian try and get a ship
There was time

>how did this get 90%

try watching every movie that comes out for at least a month and try to tell me this won't be near the top of your list, even if just for eye candy

Was there any doubt that Cassian would climb up that tower and save Jyn at the end?

It was soulless and refused to innovate.
Disney isn't daring with its properties. No surprise there.

The people defending it are dumb. To enjoy it, you have to have some form of deep investment/love for the lore. This blinds you from seeing it as a proper, standalone film.

And as a film, it's trite, shallow, and safe. There are no risks, there is no terror. The last few minutes is forced fan service begging you to care about a bunch of boring characters.

It's a story I don't remember asking for.
The trailer advertises it as a story of transformation. It's not. It's about the sacrifice required for the OT to have happened, by a bunch of characters that might as well have remained nameless. Cash grab.

I'm so sad I spent money on this. At least I watched it on discount day...I'm still ashamed to have helped the studio.

an RT score isn't a single entity that ranks movies on a consistent scale like the olympics or something...a 90% movie is not necessarily the same as another 90% movie. A movie might be "the best ever" to a reviewer and another might be "not bad, worth a watch" and that reviewer is +1 tomato on the scale both times

a 90% just means most reviewers thought it was good enough to watch, and in the localized sense of what to watch in a given weekend, they are probably not wrong

*yawn*

The Saw Gerrera scenes were the only things wrong with this movie.

America got dumber.

Felicity please

hehe...meme

I didn't think that was possible.

>>It was soulless and refused to innovate.
when was the first time a star wars movie :
>killed every main character
>questionned the rebellion's motives
>let a good guy cold bloodedly assassinate someone

I mean if those things aren't innovative in Star Wars then nothing can be innovative in Star Wars.

Because people in movies aren't as smart as real life people.

>LE THIS PART GOOD
>LE THIS PART BAD

How to """"""""""""""""critique"""""""""""""""" film like a fucking 12 year old

I don't remember anyone's name in the movie.

>hurrr i don't understand themes or how they might influence other areas of the narrative/screenplay
ftfy

yet another pleb filtered by the Rogue One pleb filter

so whats the point of this movie and how does this movie advance the plot?

Ok so they get death star blueprints, how will they win the war by just having blueprints? shouldn't you worry about the millions of spaceships and billions of stormtroopers?

I hope the next movie will explain dumb shit like this, and also the black space wizard, why the fuck can he use magic and stuff like that? why isnt it explained?

>so whats the point of this movie and how does this movie advance the plot?
Are you implying every movie has to move some sort of grand over-arching narrative forward?

>Ok so they get death star blueprints, how will they win the war by just having blueprints? shouldn't you worry about the millions of spaceships and billions of stormtroopers?
They're both threats, but the planet-destroyer is the clear and present danger.

>unironically replying to bait

>it ain't me starts playing

Now you just make it clear you don't have an opinion at all, and just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

What ship? They were planning on escaping, which is why they exited the building with the comms tower they were just in. There weren't any ships in that building.
But as soon as they got outside they saw the massive explosion and realized they had literally seconds to live.
Are you actually this retarded?

I get that you think you're cultured for watching RLM and parroting their sentiments but you're objectively wrong. Rogue One took a lot of chances.

It will be like TFA: In a few months everybody will say shit about this movie.

It's a decently enough put together movie, and moves fast enough to entertain the masses who love STAAAAAAAAR WAAAAAAAAARS.

Having had some time to think the film over, it had a great core and a lot of interesting things which were sloppily put together. I'd have loved if the first third of the film had been set on the desert planet with the weird Jedi statues. There seems to be a lot to mine in that setting. Forest Whitaker's extreme terrorist rebel group, the "Guardians of the temple", the walled city. All that shit could have been been in the beginning. Cut out Jyn being an Imperial prisoner and have her just on the planet with the terrorists. Cut out the introduction of Rebel Spy Guy on the random base and introduce him on the desert planet. Have them cross paths. Flesh out the conflict on the single planet a bit more. Get some Lawrence of Arabia shit going on with the rebels, Jyn, and Spy Guy building a repertoire before having them go after the Death Star plans. The plans by the way should have been on the same planet as the Scientist Dad. Have the small rebel group (maybe add a 3-4 rebel commandos) in the ship infiltrate and do some infiltration shit before finally having to hold off Imperial forces while sending out the Death Star info.

Cut out the superfluous bullshit like Vader, Tarkin, Leia, giant space battles including Mon Calamari ships (which shouldn't be part of the rebel fleet yet). Cut out AT-ATs in the final battle. Cut, cut, cut. It's a small story with small characters against grounded (for Star Wars), but desperate odds.

Maybe show off something like a riot shield Stormtrooper, or Stormtroopers with rappeling kits jumping through windows to surprise our heroes, or an AT-ST sized new walker design, like a spider walker or something.

Is this picture a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Damn...

Varder, last 2 minutes, worth the price. Thanks.

Literally this
The ending was a mindless slog of poorly directed action

They should have had the big action sequence on the rainy planet and the dad gives Jinn the plans
They have a big battle
They escape
Vader shows up and boards the ship
Kills everyone
Right before he kills Buck Tooth she transmits the plans to the closest rebel ship (Leia)

Vader sounded like shit, looked like shit, and the last bit with him and the lightsabre was such baldfaced pandering.

they didn't even do shit with the Death Troopers, they had like 2 or 3 scenes of just standing around and then they just barely kill the asian guys at the end. pathetic. no more effective than the average stormtrooper

Of all the many criticism one could make of this movie, you wrote down all the wrong ones, about a movie that was clumsy, had pacing and characters problems but was somehow engaging and had balls to break ground.

How much of a stupid retarded faggot can you possibly be?

I mean jesus christ. Stop repeating RLM bullshit think with your maggot mind you stupid fuck.

Still better than the utter tripe that was Force Awakens.

Because, it felt like they added 30min to the start of A New Hope, that's why. NOSTALGIA

Black Space Wizard... kekekekekek. I like you man.

Force Awakens was just good in a few parts, when Rey goes all ape nuts fighting Kylo from the moment she uses the force to pick up the saber, Han Solo saying all of it was real, Chewbacca flipping out going all Al Qaeda. That's about it, nothing else sticks out. At least the last 30min of Rogue One felt like 30min added to the start of A New Hope.

>awful dialogue
>terrible acting
>decent last quarter mostly due to special effects and godzilla

Sounds like a Gareth Edwards movie

Having cut myself off from most of the ads, I went it pretty blind to the movie.

Seeing the Deathtroopers, I really expected something badass from them, but they under delivered.

It's shitty to see Stormtroopers become nonthreatening jokes within the films. In pop culture everybody thinks they are useless, but they actually fight extremely well in the OT most of the time. TFA and Rogue One are letting pop culture seep in and turning Stormtroopers into punchlines.

>can't focus unless there are huge nice explosions

the film is an ADHD filter and you just sorted yourself out, cretin

>nothing wrong
>had shitty pacing

Pick one desu

The film is a pleb magnet, and you got caught, cuck.

No one gives a shit what you think.

It's going to break records and there is nothing you can do about it.

>It was soulless and refused to innovate.

what does this even mean; give some examples of soulful and innovative

>The people defending it are dumb.

oh, so you have a problem with entertaining different points of view

that's interesting, autist

>blah blah blah blah blah This blinds you from seeing it as a proper, standalone film.

its not really meant to be a stand alone film

>And as a film, it's trite, shallow, and safe. There are no risks, there is no terror.

name some disney films with risks and real terror; the gradual shock wave from the single reactor beam hit was actually frightening

>It's a story I don't remember asking for.

maybe you can tell your mommy so she can stand up for you to Disney

do you think you have autistic spectrum deficits since you seem to think the world revolves around your needs

>I'm so sad I spent money on this. At least I watched it on discount day

just ask mommy for more on your allowance, or buy one fewer package of adult diapers you sad man-child

>cuck

How old are you?

You underestimate the blind fanboyism of 35yr old manchildren. They will just progressively get worse and worse every year, the score will still be high, the money will still be coming in. It doesn't matter

Surprised to find I enjoyed it. I thought the main cast was nice, it was less overpowered-hero-centric than star wars movies usually are, and it was kind of nice to see Star Wars have a more realistic tone where you get more of a feeling of the "stakes of war" and the sacrifices that went to get those plans

Kind of atypical to the fantasy happy "we're all winners" tone that star wars usually has but I felt the star wars franchise was way overdue a film where people actually perish in a large scale battle

TFA set the bar awfully low.

So, did they all die in the end? I haven't watched it but I was hoping the girl died, I didn't like what I saw of her

I enjoyed this movie. It was a good time.

She actually doesn't say her shittier lines from the trailers or get her Mary Sure exposition from Mon Mothra. She ends up being passable.

Pray tell, what movies do you watch, Connoisseur?

this moovy was practically Star Wars: Reach

this was an unnecessary story that never had to be told

no one's mentioning the awful 3D models used for the old cast. Why?

The first part was a big gloomfest and not good at all. The last part felt more like a Star Wars film and was more interesting.

Vader looked good. Sorry you didn't like it. Perhaps you didn't like evil people.

It's called Fortunate Son you stupid man.

>Instead of the Death Star's flaw being a simple oversight stemming from the hubris of the Empire, reflecting their general incompetence for the small, petty details, it was all concocted by the one Imperial engineer with a heart of gold

because RT is filled with a bunch of hipster faggots that thinks it's cool to bash the prequels

>Shots of the landing pad area just before the big battle starts
>Notice all of the waist-high piles of cargo and boxes scattered about with no organization
>Think to myself "if this was a video game, I'd suspect a shoot-out was about to happen"
>That's exactly what happens

so many shills what the fuck
rogue one was a strong 5/10 move on kids

Yeah, I remember that exat moment. When the rebel squad was running into position.

Super sloppy both writingwise and just in-universe for a military to do that.

>no full-on jedi bullshittery save from vader and force-sensitive china-man, who ended up a cool guy
instant win in my book

>Wacky planet shield thing with a literal gate
>Spaceballs did it first

>but they actually fight extremely well in the OT most of the time
Maybe in the EU.
In Star Wars they let themselves get fooled by a fucking farmer boy, TWICE on their home turf.
In ESB they win on Hoth thanks to superior machines and navy.
In RotJ they lose to teddy bears with stones and spears.

The shield gate was just above the island base right?
The shield gate that two star destroyers dived right into?
Why did we never see the star destroyers falling into atmosphere or make impact? They completely disappeared

Turn off your brain bro

>There were people laughing at how bad it was when I saw it
Why do people like you make things up?

>contrarian in cinema
>someone laughs at a joke
>"yeah right this is so laughably cringy, right?"

Remember this too
Their efforts to SJW the film, totally failed, the might of the galactic Empire, triumphed over their pitiful resistance (yeah, ya da ya, they got the plans). though they all fucking blew up.
They died in vain, they died for Old (White) Men and a princess that had to be rescued from the very thing they sought to destroy, she took a back seat to the saga even getting semi-nude in the last film to please male audiences, in-charge a young cis white male whom destroys the deathstar with his superiour mindpowers.

I'd probably make more sense if it wasn't so late.
I still enjoyed the film as a Star Wars film, it hit everything right, so glad those rebels fucking died, they where all scumbags.

Do you remember the names of blind man, machine gun or pilot? I swear they never even fucking mention them

Blind man was Jackie chan

Step 1 to writing good action is to have a credible threat. The villains at least have to have the appearance of having a chance of stopping the heroes.

In the OT, Stormtroopers were not killed in visual gags designed for comic relief. In both TFA and R1, Stormtroopers are casually killed in moments explicitly designed to be laugh-out-loud moments. That totally undermines them as a threat.

In every OT film, Stormtroopers were initially established as a threat. In ANH, they were introduced cutting through the rebel defenders. Later in the movie they were beaten, but were always treated as a threat.

In ESB, they were reintroduced to the audience as a credible threat with the Hoth battle. Again, they were killed by heroes in Cold City shootout, but it was played as pitched battle, not as a comedy skit.

In ROTJ, the Stormtroopers captured and then later were winning in pitched battle. Ewoks died, Leia got a shoulder wound, Han looked like he was going to die. Then the battle turned around and the good guys won, but the low point in the battle made the Stormtroopers credible.

R1 failed to have an early establishing moment of Stormtroopers completely defeating armed enemies and showing they are not to be fucked with. The ambush in the city would have been a good opportunity. Have the Stormtroopers unexpectedly fight there way out of the extremist ambush and kill many of the extremist fighters overwhelmingly. Have our heroes running from them in desperation rather than having Jyn casually take out a ton in hand to hand combat and the robot kill like a dozen without looking.

youre retarded

no u

Jyn Erso daugther of Galen Erso
Galen Erso
Krennick
K247
Cassian Endor
Bodie the pilot, he's the pilot, 5-0 coming
Ip Man
Heavy
Saw Gerrera
Gold Leader get set up for your attack run
Red Leader all wings report in
Black Ackbar
Mon Mothma
what the fuck is that Bail Organa, that's totally fucking Bail Organa
CGI Tarkin
Vader
a diverse cast of extras
That wicked cool asshole alien dude in Saw Gerrera's gang
Some other aliens

I don't remember ANY of the names of the new cast besides Jyn. That's how memorable they were.

1. Because it's Star Wars. Even the prequels got mostly decent reviews at release.
2. Because people remember the beginning and ending more than the middle.

I agree that the first half of the film is really really weak.

>let's jump randomly from planet to planet, that won't fuck with the pacing at all
>let's vaguely establish our main character as a strong independent woman who don't need no rebellion and then immediately throw that out the window when it serves the plot
>let's waste Forrest Whittaker as an ultimately pointless "mentor character that dies" trope
>let's half-ass every single character's development because there's too goddamn many of them and not enough time in one movie
>generic mcbadguy imperial officer whose only interesting quality is his cool outfit
>lol CGIface Tarkin
>nothing that happens in this plot makes any goddamn sense and it's impossible to follow but fuck it
>almost every single character is an asshole with nonsensical motivations
>you can't have a rebellion without hope, geddit because A New Hope? do you get it? do you get it now? hope?

Seriously everything in Rogue One revolving around plot establishment sucked. Once the movie was allowed to breathe, once it got to the actual pay-offs, once it acted like a Star Wars movie, it became pretty enjoyable. It's funny that these characters were most likeable at their deaths.

>In ROTJ, the Stormtroopers captured and then later were winning in pitched battle. Ewoks died, Leia got a shoulder wound, Han looked like he was going to die. Then the battle turned around and the good guys won, but the low point in the battle made the Stormtroopers credible.
TEDDY BEARS
WITH STONE SPEARS

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

The Stormtrooper shooting academy was an online joke in the early 90's for a reason, deal with it.

This movie proved that Gareth is more of a visual director, he's just not good at directing the script and actors

It's amazing how often movies rip off Spaceballs.

movie was better than TFA for sure but what was the point of saw guerrera the extremist rebel?

>let's vaguely establish our main character as a strong independent woman who don't need no rebellion and then immediately throw that out the window when it serves the plot
>let's waste Forrest Whittaker as an ultimately pointless "mentor character that dies" trope

Seriously why in the fuck not have Jyn still as part of Whitakers crew and have her get recruited when the rebellion sends their agent (I don't remember his name) to the Jedi temple city planet?

Holy fuck, this is so goddamn obvious. It cuts all the wonky planet hopping at the beginning and it actually puts Whitaker onscreen as her mentor for some time.

the old mentor figure that gives the protagonist motivation to fight

Except they timeskip over all of his fucking mentoring, leaving him a shell of a character. LAZY.

thats really not saying much

I missed the first 29 minutes so I could get drunk. Even while hammered I understood what was going on, stupid tall droid was okay, the whole movie was okay. Literally every Disney movie is okay

couldn't that be just her dad with some extra scenes instead of the whole saw guerrara shit?

>random warlord
>claims to be anti imperial
>also doesnt like rebellion
>lives in a cave in a fuckface planet in the outer rim
>dies in 10 minutes

wtf so meaningless

To trick people into thinking that Forest Whitaker would be relevant to the movie.

And even then the only actually dramatically satisfying death was probably Donnie Yen. His mate didn't even manage to out in a blaze of glory, he killed a couple of dudes and died 8 seconds later, wow.

The actual high-paced drama in the last fight is actually Bodie and the marines trying to get a cable wired up of all things, they do, and then all immediately die. Bodie has a one-second reaction shot to the grenade landing next to him, no time to even show his expression changing. The film was very 'strict-casual' about getting rid of people the minute their plot purpose was fulfilled.

Actually K2 has a decent dramatic death. Cassian's fake-out hollywood return was bleh as fuck.
There was something up with the editing in the film. Maybe to avoid upsetting kids? Like, Blue Leader gets shot down and we again get about a second to see his face and then a snap cut away.

Everyone dying inside about 6 minutes one after the other wasn't tragic, it just felt like snipping off stuff perfunctorily.

Better show Red 5 dying like a mongo so we all now can answer the question about how Luke got that callsign that's been annoying us for 35 years.

I'm disappointed this movie didn't turn out to be a sort of Star Wars thriller where they go too deep undercover and potentially join the empire.

The combat editing was very off.

I feel like there were a lot of beautiful wide shoots of the combat that could have been allowed to play out, but they keep snap cutting to random shit.

Oh yes, I'm sure they could steal a ship, activate it and fly away in 20 seconds it took for the blast to reach them.