July 2017

>July 2017
>still haven't started learning a second language

>spent the last month being indecisive about which language to learn

wtf just start learning, can you not decide or something?

hola no taco

just ask /lang/ to decide for you

>spent the last two years talking French qts on HelloTalk almost every day and might tackle the B2 DELF test in a month.

I can't decide is the main problem

Do you know what language you want to learn? I believe there is a guide made my Sup Forums users that may help you if you don't.

do you have some finalists?

>I can't decide is the main problem

You could just get your feet wet for a while in one or another language, just flip a coin. One or two lost weeks are nothing compared to the years you might spend studying a particular language. Do one or two weeks in Spanish then in French or whatever you are considering an then decide.

>started learning Japanese
>realize it's a useless language to learn for any practical use and that it's socially unacceptable to say you are learning it

French is the leader but there are some meme languages I like too such as Norwegian and Hebrew

Start off with French or German.

Just do French, man. It's a little bit strange because of all the silent letters but if that doesn't bother you then it's as good a place to start as any, and it's a good language that's widely spoken in the first world.

Why learn a second language when you can just conquer the world and make it learn English.

So try to learn french, don't wait too much. But french is a bit difficult and I recommand you to better learn Spanish if you want to try some romance language. Or esperanto. Because it's too easy.

True. Esperanto was made to be very simple.

A language is only as useful as you personally decide it to be. If you never plan to leave your room then neither language will be useful to you. You have to stop being passive and consciously decide 'yes, I'm going to use this language for this reason.' be it media, travelling meeting the people of the affiliated culture or some very obscure shit.

For example, right now I'm studying French and I decided that last year, this year and during the next year I will almost exclusively travel to Francophone countries. I might do an erasmus semester in France in the future. I watching French documentaries on arte, etc.

>it's socially unacceptable to say you are learning it
Who gives a shit? The overwhelming majority of people agrees that being able to speak another language would be a goal or a cool thing but most people also give up when they realize that a little bit of effort is needed. People always expect that language study needs to have some fuzzy return of usefulness. Strangely, there are a lot of other perfectly acceptable hobbies that could be considered way less useful than language study, I mean at it has potentially a certain value. Compare it to playing an instrument, or sewing or knitting. Rarely people doing these will become professional sewers, knitters or even musicians but for some reason language skills are automatically expected to give a professional pay-off in some way.

I agree Spanish is easier than French, but not by much. If French appeals to OP more than Spanish does, he shouldn't hesitate to study French first IMO. It was my first foreign language back in high school. Pronouncing things is tough, as is listening comprehension, but the rules are easy enough.

>2 years practicing
>only b2
you turbonigger

I don't like the way Spanish sounds sorry, I know it's more useful to me but I don't care

If you fucks had just won the war this would be so much easier
>want to go to Europe
speak German
>want to go asia
speak Japanese
>Want to go anywhere else
speak English
American republic, Japanese empire, German Reich,, so much better

Traveling to Japan costs too much and I hate traveling anyways

just learn the language of the biggest or favorite immigrant demographic of your location

Hey, I'm not a Romance language native like you.

I thought about doing C1 straight away but I'm pussying out due to the writing part and for fear of barely faling and wasting my money(>100€ per exam)

B2 is already useful and if I'm doing well on it I might do C1 later.

It's okay man, just do French. Go to Duolingo, right now, and start the first exercise. I'm too lazy to find a pic of Shia LaBoeuf but JUST DO IT!

If you decide to learn Spanish later, it'll be easier if you've already studied French, or vise versa. Grammar and syntax are quite similar and there's a decent bit of common vocabulary as well.

That would be indians

>republic
fuck i wish the empire hadnt fallen desu

You in Seattle or the Bay Area perchance?

I hate those jerks who only think about making money.

No, somewhere irrelevant in the Midwest, but we have a shit ton of Indians, so much so that there's an embassy for them here. They're all very friendly imo

So learn french, it's not that different from english instead of pronounciation wich can be hard for an englishspeaker.

Just start Spanish or French on duolinguo, the only person stopping you from doing it is you

I'm sure you do....you fucking leaf cuck.

Spanish
LOS

Okay OP. Have you started your French Duolingo yet? Or did you start this thread just to bitch, with no intention to actually start learning?

EI VITTUN EI JUMALAUTA EI HELVETTI

I'm doing memrise but yes I did the first lesson so far

Duolingo is a lot better imo but either way, good job. I think you'll enjoy it.

Duolingo is better it has grammar explanations

French is a great language, stick with it there are so many great French books and films. Don't learn meme languages they won't motivate you enough

Learn German if you wanna sound like a REAL man. Otherwise go for French :^)

I tried learning a second language, but i was literally too retarded to actually learn it

>Almost August 2017
>Still haven't done a single productive thing all year

I started learning a third

>it's a useless language to learn for any practical use
if you're a weeb you'll get a whole lot of use out of it

>learning a second language
>second
lmao
if you're not quadrilingual by the end of high school, there is no hope

>been casually studying Japanese for two years
>no progress
I'm not autistic enough for an Asian language

>july already
>already falling behind and losing motivation in my 4th language studies

I'm on the same boat Luis. The problem here is that I can speak one romance language and a germanic language but the rest are uninteresting to me except for Romanian and Dutch, which are pretty fucking useless to be honest.
The only option for me is to learn either Russian or Japanese which are by themselves pretty fucking hard and different from the two languages that I can speak already.

French or German.

Learn Norwegian because it sounds cool.

i probably would have made no progress if not for taking japanese courses at uni
>on my 4th language
>not even fluent in a second language yet
>stuck in mediocre levels of 3 languages

we're full, good luck in Moon-runes.