So is this a good movie or a so bad its good movie?

So is this a good movie or a so bad its good movie?

You see that new Pogo too?

Its a genuinely fantastic movie.

Lots of normies love it as well so it sometimes catches flack from contrarians.

>Its a genuinely fantastic movie.
I am not denying this
I am just curious why it is great
I legitimately can't decide

It's good but this one is better.

Al Pacino is in it and it was also directed by De Palma.

Tony Montana is a great character who delivers in almost every scene with some of the most quotable lines in tv history.

Its a classic rise and fall tragedy which gives the viewer a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

The villains and complications are surprisingly unique and unpredictable. Theres no sense of a single bad guy or police force that Tony is fighting against. This becomes true in most gangster movies but Scarface is one of the first 'modern' ones to drive a story like that.

The setting is brilliant and colorful, crazy cocaine 80s in Miami with all that garish style and music.

Well directed with some brilliantly shot scenes like the Chainsaw, street execution, 'world is yours' blimp etc..

it's probably one of his worst songs

I agree.

it's a fun movie to watch, but not particularly important for film making or groundbreaking story

pacino is top shelf though

Good acting from Pacino, even though he chews the scenery. Everything else is literally exploitation-tier b-movie. There are so many glaring mistakes as well. Like the scene where Tony is sitting in the club with the wall of mirrors behind him (before his assassination attempt where the weird guy is dancing around). The camera pans across Tony's table while he's doing coke, and behind him in the mirror you can see the fucking camera man with his anachronistic clothing and all. De Palma's brain was fried on coke when he made this.

I have mixed feelings about it. I know it's good, especially for it's time. I know pacino killed. I know the dynamic, the sentiment and the music were all in place but it's so overrated people think it's better than it is.

It's tremendous though, only a idiot would deny that. I am but I won't try to

ju wanna go to war mang

Al Pacino as Tony Montana makes the film, great 80's period piece, suffers hard in the last half before the final scene.

Here's how it works. Within a given year, critics will praise what are by their lights the most artistically brilliant movies. Generally, these critical darlings will not be genre pieces like "Alien", "The Thing", or "Dirty Harry". However, over time, certain genre movies ascend to the status of "cult classics" and then eventually to mainstream acclaim. So ultimately the "canon" comes to include a certain percentage of art films and a certain percentage of "movies so popular we can't deny their seminal status". If "Scarface" ever gets into the canon, it will be via the latter mechanism.

The remake will be better desu.

my inspiration :))
rest in peace tone :'(((

Not gonna lie, I would like Scarface a lot more if it wasn't so fucking long.

It's very good by normal standards. Judged against other good movies, it's merely merely just good. It's a bit long and while compelling seems to drag at times. The music probably would not appeal to a modern audience.

It's De Palma at the height of his powers, of course it's amazing. It recontextualises Hawks in the same way most of his 80s work was recontextualisations of Hitchcock, and it's formally perfect.

>it's formally perfect
C'mon.

Pretty much the only fault with it as far as I'm concerned.

It's super enjoyable, great characters/actors, great visuals, fucking great montage scene, but it's just way too damn long. Stuff needed to be trimmed from his rise to power and his downfall.

So bad. Only niggers and wannabes unironicly love this movie.

It's so bad it's bad. Don't over think it.

It's Brian De Palma at the absolute height of his brilliance. Everything about it is luscious and over-the-top, as the 1980's themselves were. "You really had to be there," has never been more apt. Hell, I'm going to watch it again right now.

It's also one of Roger Ebert's "Great Movies".