/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

A much better anime than Beck edition.

Previously on /gg/: How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Other urls found in this thread:

tcelectronic.com/tube-pilot-overdrive/
vocaroo.com/i/s16RYqK8GYcH
vocaroo.com/i/s1KkFQFMGm0X
vocaroo.com/i/s1FEcKMrTZND
open.spotify.com/track/37vOJ5qa7AhgVy83XF2h2K?si=06KKMoXiSdC6aBRToAGrLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anime.

1st for brazil

STILL not wearing shoes, none of them are.

gonna start a band, do I have to teach my bandmates music theory so they don't get lost or do I have to dumb things down by saying play it like this

just got Rocksmith for my birthday, is it actually helpful for learning guitar?
Anything in it that's different from what I already know from the internet?

you'll probably waste more time playing the game than actually learning guitar desu senpai then you shut off rocksmith to play a better game

I bet they're better than you...

The latter will be more practical.
I know, isn't it great?

he has an anime foot fetish

That is one ugly Yui.

its crap do you think any of the guitar greats learned from a fucking video game ya ding dong diddly simp

tcelectronic.com/tube-pilot-overdrive/

>tube pedal for only $50
Are we entering the golden age of pedals?

Just ordered a blonde Telecaster.

Soys be mad.

That's the best color for a Tele. Is the grain visible?

rec me good games then pls

Why do people dislike P90s around here?

All of the hum of single coils with none of the glassy, chimey goodness.

My first guitar, did I dun goffed?

>no Bigsby

You did great. Hollowbodies sound great while being versatile.

Yes. Nitro obviously.

Soon™

Hollowbodies are not a beginner instrument.

Unless youre a jazz genius you will struggle with the overall experience.

Why? What makes them advanced player territory?

>blonde
>visible grain
This is the patrician Tele finish. You did well, user. No vomit for you.

Op has good taste

I am new to bass and have got a Toby Standard IV (Pic related).

I've been thinking about selling it to buy something new, a bit better. Was thinking about an SG EB-0 or a Thunderbird Classic. I think they are better instruments in the hands of capable players, but I am still not one.

Considering this, is the trade worth it? Or should I just keep the Toby for now, considering I am not good at bass yet?

>hollowbody

Epi or Gibson?

nothing just jazz faggots thinking their dead genre has any sort of listening fanbase, play what you want

Size. Set-up (if its bad). Bridge.

This is the optimal way to learn:

acoustic nylon guitar>acoustic steel guitar>electric guitar without tune-o-matic bridge>electric with tune-o-matic bridge

Meh, it's probably a starved plate. Not full voltage so the tube isn't really utilized

please rate
vocaroo.com/i/s16RYqK8GYcH
vocaroo.com/i/s1KkFQFMGm0X
vocaroo.com/i/s1FEcKMrTZND

why is that the optimal way of learning

i like my Alien Mars. it rocks

>This is the optimal way to learn:

disregard this faggots opinion

Because different guitars need different techniques.

You should ALWAYS start acoustic.

>tfw the urge of creating a DIY build or customizing a flea market find intensifies

load of garbage

When you can play Xanadu you're good at bass.

I don't want to play different guitars why do Istill have to learn like 5 guitars that you mentioned

will it sound better if i play electric with the same strength i play the acoustic?

Epiphone, too poorfag for a gibson
>Size.
Lol I play bass, this thing feels like a toy to me
> Set-up (if its bad).
yeah can be bitch to set up but hey, Its what I like, and what drives me to play
>Bridge.
Fixable I'll asume

whats your problem with tune o matic bridge? you find them hard to play?

>tfw no craviola

Hdjdhfhfh

BeatBuddy. Yes or no?

Why would you beat your buddy?

How do you like this finish? It has creme binding.

That's what it is though. Don't archtops need bridges like this by definition?

all archtops need is some gas and a match

yeah but op's guitar isn't an archtop, it's a semihollow

>clueless fa/gg/ot can't tell the difference between a Gibson™ and a chink shitplank without looking at the headstock
>tourist fa/gg/ot doesn't know the difference between op and user

I can dig it

beautiful guitar man, congratulations. Don't listen to the faggots here. The important thing is you got something you want to play.

Now you need a nice tube amp to bring that thing to life. I'd suggest a fender, and keep it at or under 15watt if it's just a practice amp as they are MUCH louder than solid state (and sound way better)

thanks I think getting something that drives you to play it is the most important thing when buying an instrument, about the amp, for now I'll use a bass amp, but I'm gassing for a vox ac15

can't go wrong with a vox ac15 either, those are perfect for an es 335

>beautiful guitar
Why lie? Or has the word beautiful been redefined to include Chinese garbage?

I bought my first amp recently, a Fender Champion 20. It's pretty neat, has a bunch of effects, voicings etc. I can play both metal and jazz with my Squier Strat using it. I know it's not a great amp, but it fits in my place and it's very affordable.

yeah not sure whats the fender alternative to the ac15, I remember trying a 40w fender and it sounded like a dream, but its above my budget

that'll do for a tiny practice amp, but I'd start saving up for a bassbreaker, specifically the 15watt 1x12 combo. It will do what the champion does but sound a LOT better, and give you the ability to play with a band because of increased output.

chinese guitars don't necessarily look bad, they just generally have worse fit + finish and that results in worse tone (generally).

>it's very affordable
>its above my budget

Will /gg/ ever be free from the Eternal Poorfa/gg/s© weeping and gnashing teeth?

Most people don't make money with music, and a lot of this cheap stuff...well it just werks

What's an expensive tube amp that I can buy? I feel like burning money.

save your money and get some lessons instead my man you be glad you did, gonna save up for some lessons

you motherfuckin bastard i am so jealous right now rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
how's it sound?

My last guitar lesson was ~14 years ago...

Does string gauge affect the action? (Bass)

yep

For lower action what should i get?

F O U R T E E N

You were taking lessons when you were two?

I quit taking lessons when I was 16/7.

For me it was helpful with learning songs and got me into guitar. More of a kickstart and then it becomes a utility to learn songs. You still need to practise outside of it though.

If you are on PC, buy Cherub Rock and you can get CDLC. Pirate the rest of the DLC, some will work some won’t from my experience.

P90s are goat.
Fender soapbars are shit.

Enjoy your feedback

stfu

get mediums or lights

You are in your 30s and still don't own a tube amp?

Bogner shiva

A setup done by a professional.

No, I stopped for around 10 years once I graduated from college.
Thank you. I'll see if a guitar shop has one I could try.

Also try some of the friedmans, and a rockerverb.
All great amps, but the shiva has better cleans imo

I'm all about cleans but I'm sure I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to find the perfect overdriven sound.

So, I've been playing guitar for about 11 years. I've been working really hard to develop a strong practice routine to improve my technique, and I've been hitting the books working on theory and composition. I've been thinking about looking into some beginner guitar lessons, to reinforce basic concepts. Would it be worth it? No matter how long I've been playing, and no matter how good I get, I still feel like a beginner.

Well senpai. The shiva might be just for you then. Friedmans are what marshalls should have been if they didn’t move almost everything to china. And the rockerverb is a beast for medium and high gain.

You're probably just shit at guitar.
It's not for everyone.

Thanks again -- hopefully I can find a shiva around me. High gain reminds me of hair metal and makes me feel like I'm wearing ear muffs or something.

Everyone tells me I'm great at it, I just feel like there's still a lot for me to learn. I like playing relatively technical stuff. To put my skill level into perspective, the last song I finished learning was Grace by Lamb of God. Before that I learned Marigold by Periphery, kinda got inspired by the video Rick Beato did on it. Right now I'm working C'est La Vie by Protest The Hero. I just feel like where I'm at isn't good enough. The only "lessons" I've taken was the month or so of guitar we had to do in 6th grade, which just kinda had us strum some chords and shit. I thought taking actual lessons and re-learning the basics might help me get to where I want to be. I was just trying to see if anyone else had done something similar, to judge if it'd be worth it.

He's shit at guitar because he didn't play. I learned drums by playing for an hour a day for 4 years, when I miss days I make up the hours. I've """played""" guitar for longer, six years, but never consistently, and felt like a beginner every time I picked up the guitar until recently. It's about the hours. If you put in the hours, there's way way you won't be "good." Being a lazy nigger for 11 years, I seriously doubt mastery.
If about 10000 hours is required to master a craft, you've already wasted so much time.

Seeing that you judge your worth as a guitar player by the number of bad metal songs you've learned tells me you're shit.

i want to play like
open.spotify.com/track/37vOJ5qa7AhgVy83XF2h2K?si=06KKMoXiSdC6aBRToAGrLA

send help

Tru.

Or learn to do it yourself. Setup isn't about a set of strings. It's about preparing the guitar to accept the intended set of strings.

Who /hoarder/ here?

Dubs rang?

>no strings
i can't breathe

Your wife is kind of hot. You kid... not so much.

Wrong on both counts.

I mean, I'm not just into metal, those are just the most recent things I've learned. Guitar isn't even the only instrument I play. You seem kind of elitist, man. People would probably like you more if you tried to tone that down a little.

Ah well. Was worth asking I guess. Guess that's what I get for asking an honest question on a board like this.