Music of the 2020’s

In this thread, we predict what the next decade might hold for us in terms of music, for good or for bad.

>Metal goes through a “back-to-basics” phase inspired by Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or what have you.
>Punk rock comes back out of nowhere for seemingly no reason, but brings with it new techno and industrial influences.
>People in the mainstream get tired of trap-rap, leading to old-school style rap to get popular.
>Pop with increasingly weird and off-kilter instrument choices are commonplace.
>Obscure samples of the 2010’s are replaced with impossible-to-find samples in the 2020’s, sometimes coming right out of the deep web.
>As a natural continuation of the 80’s nostalgia of the 2010’s, hair metal comes back and everyone laughs.
>2000’s nostalgia becomes more widespread, and pop stars from that era come back with varying success.

maybe future artists will seek to make their music entirely devoid of political influences as a response to 10's intense social politics climate

most of that is just a bunch of retro revival rehashing and the sad thing is that youre probably right.

This will probably end up true, there’s only so many times neurotypicals will want to hear “Trump is bad” in their pop songs before they get tired of it.
Some politically-charged stuff would probably slip through the cracks, though, but if it does, it’ll probably be conservative bands trying their hardest to anger liberals like some sort of weird reverse Sex Pistols.

As awful as that sounds you prolly right.

All of this is basically happening right now though.

The 70’s style metal doesn’t sound too bad.
Hair metal coming back would be equal parts hilarious and horrifying, though.

what do you mean? trash-rap is still popular and i’m pretty sure hair metal didn’t crawl back from the dead

>Rock musicians want to make “rock music of the future” and so pedals like this are spammed into the ground.

Screencap this, anglosphere will be into cumbia/reggaeton by late 2020s

>conservative Sex Pistols
I’m not sure if my body would be ready for that. Especially if OP’s “industrial-inspired punk rock” prediction comes true also.

Are you suggesting that 2020’s rock will end up sounding like Human After All?

Pretty much, yeah.

It's going to be the same shit we got from 2010 - now

What led you to that conclusion, user?

Most of these things have already happened. Did you forget the 00's existed?

>Metal goes through a “back-to-basics” phase inspired by Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or what have you.

Already happening.

>Punk rock comes back out of nowhere for seemingly no reason, but brings with it new techno and industrial influences.

Ironically I'm about to start making music like this as a solo project.

god i hope digital hardcore becomes a thing again

>Already happening.
Oh, yeah, Greta Van Fleet’s a thing, isn’t it?
>Ironically I’m about to start making music like this a solo project.
Wouldn’t that be “coincidentally”? Seriously, though, that sounds really cool.

you forgot
>Radiohead will make another album of the decade

Lingua Ignota reigns terror

>Punk rock starts to sound like a mix of The Prodigy and Rammstein.

People should reject recorded mediums in general, and if you disagree, it's cause you're too lazy to really learn how to play music and are okay with everything sucking and you like having that edge.

>in 2008 we had this same thread about the music of the 2010s.

Really? Wow, that was completely unintentional, but that’s pretty cool.
Any screencaps from the thread?

I suspect a movement in which all genres of music will be fronted by monotone vocals reciting deep and abstract poetry.

so nothing new basically

1. Going off the 10's blackgaze movement metal becomes more and more experimental. Indie and metal fuse together and you get weird shit like dream thrash or like post doom, or soul metal. just like people trying weird shit.

2. Pop punk and nu metal fuse together to make what i call "nu punk" Think shit like 21 pilots. Its basically pop punk bands in urban fashion with a DJ and maybe some rap singing

3. Indie splits into two lanes. The king krule jazz punk lane, which will sort of combine a tom waits type thing with a lenored cohen type thing with a king cruel type thing with a chet baker type thing, or the mac demarco lane. The idea of "indie jazz" becomes a thing. the mac demarco thing would be like the culmination of all those kids who listend to vaporwave, citypop, lofi hip hop, tame impala, all fused together to create something very unique

4. Trap dies, after this there will be a revival of like gangsta niggaz in baggy pants. those guys will have their revenge against the weak ass niggaz that stole rap. After trap dies the sad boy weak niggaz go non mainstream. rap enters its final phases as the "anti thesis" lots of 2deep4u experimental rap, and also gay rap.

5. goth r&b becomes a thing

6. EDM dies and people look back at it as stupid and a total product of the teens decade. Electronic music either reverts back to being a niche or a new IDM underground happens.

7. If hair metal comes back it comes back ironically and is called "hipster hair metal" it takes all the old tropes of hair metal and experiments with them, Big hair comes back in fashion in general through out society.

8. Folk punk sells out, becomes mainstream, folk punk fuses with like heartland rock and creates this weird scene of like a bunch of punk rock bruce springsteens

9. Kpop starts to decline and the japs get a second wind. Japanese pop somehow makes a comeback

He's fibbing

>punk rock Bruce Springsteens
I never knew I wanted that, but now that I know it could exist, I want it.

Christ I hope you're wrong about the punk

fucking hair metal is never coming back

You jinxed it. Now hair metal is coming back and you’re the one that started it.

Folk punk needs to sell out.

it needs to be like

what if bruce springsteen but punk rock

what if tom petty but punk rock

what if bob dylan but punk rock

Would you like it, though?

I personally want to see music that embraces the weirder side of the Internet more, beyond the shallow references to memes and whatnot.
Basically, what if Encyclopedia Dramatica took musical form?

Do you WANT to send listeners into a mental downward spiral, user?

>what are The Gaslight Anthem?

Funk and soul dominates because people need uplifiting positive music in order to deal with grim reality

You just described my life right now

Same user. The world is a vampire

Don't you get it? DONALD TRUMP IS PRESIDENT! There isn't gonna be a 2020!

Yeah, why?

See

I was just joking you autist

Heh, I actually have autism, and I didn’t pick up on the joke...
Dang it, brain, it’s bad enough you won’t let me communicate with real people, why can’t you just let me understand Internet sarcasm?

Just ask the Brian Eno.

See, now you're making it worse. You always do this. Just keep that junk inside your head. We all do it.

10. mainstream le girl power white girl electro pop dies off. Gets replaced by a sort of revival of that 90's singer song writer pop like bjork, fiona apple, alanis morissette. Women start experimenting with becoming their own producers.

11.The British create a rock scene that is sort of like prince meets inxs meets phil collins meets radiohead

12. country either goes dormant or a new form of outlaw country appears . my mind is cloudy on this one

See, this user gets it.

I've actually been hearing lots of stuff I might call indie jazz on one of my Spotify mixes.

god user, I hope you're a fucking fortune teller

>8. Folk punk sells out, becomes mainstream
not happening scene is pretty dead only the front bottom and AJJ made it someone popular and neither have anything to do with folk punk scene in years

but your punk rock bruce springsteen could happen pat could pull it off if he gets back into music

Here's my prediction:
>people will continue to consume bad pop music
>kpop will continue to copy bad pop music from the west
>kids will still try to imitate the old rock legends, to no avail
>hip hop will go further into its retardation (including trap here)
>electronic music/dance music will be seen as an old thing, similar to dadrock now

NU METAL REVIVAL
U

M
E
T
A
L

R
E
V
I
V
A
L

Half-beast trips confirm. Soy-boys on suicide watch.

>I just realized for the first time that there was no Alive 2017.

Fuck you. ;____________________;

I listen to mostly rock so take this with a grain of salt.
>Pop country continues to fuse with EDM and get more mainstream success
>People stop automatically assuming you mean a form of rock by 'indie'
>Mumble rap mutates very quickly into other things but is the definitive kind of hip hop (first few years at least)... Specifically artists from every genre take influence from mumble experimentation, and you hear this kinda shit everywhere like in kids cartoon openings
>pop metal/alt mutates with mumble rap, getting you a subculture that worships Marlyn Manson, Kurt Cobain, and Lil Peep (nobody's gonna remember some random Verb the Noun guy)
>BoyPablo-core is successful and causes a new radio format to emerge (not that radio formats mean anything next decade) Scene continues to diversify, incorporate world influences, and make 'happier'-sounding music. THIS is the new indie.
>On the topic of world influences, 2020's pop is all about ripping on different world pop/folk styles similarly to how we handle EDM now. US Country, Latinamerican styles, and East Asian pop are the big 3 here.
>Underground rock gets more Industrial/Sound Collage-y and incorporates polyrhythms, some band from Africa creates the most critically acclaimed rock album of the decade. Will be cooler than the 00's and 10's for sure.
>EDM will be fresher... expect new styles, unusual modes/scales, and innovative electronic sounds.
>Avant-garde music will be more relevant too, but there's no way in hell I can predict it.
>Sound art goes mainstream
>80's revival falls off
>Pitchfork becomes 80% female but doesn't fall off.
>Sup Forumscore changes drastically, le classic 00's indie albums become the ultimate memes

>>pop metal/alt mutates with mumble rap, getting you a subculture that worships Marlyn Manson, Kurt Cobain, and Lil Peep (nobody's gonna remember some random Verb the Noun guy)

"wow lets fuse metal with rap, no ones ever done that before"- a millennial (a retard)

Punk is a responce to discontent, there is a reason fot it.

Did Despacito have enough of an impact that Reggaeton/latin pop music will start to see more play in the next few years?

What you said about punk already happened in the late 70s/80s. Also have you ever heard of the genre Doom Metal? You're an idiot OP

Reading the predictions in this thread about metal just shows that none of you really listen to metal

am I the only """musician""" in this thread skimming for ideas for the 20s?

Ambient hop becomes a thing

>"wow lets fuse metal with rap, no ones ever done that before"- a millennial (a retard)
Millennials were like 50% of the audience of nu-metal what are you talking about?

>i can see that kind of early metal sound coming back for sure, already is sort of in australia
>can definitely see old school flows and beats coming back and again i think this is already happening in lofi pop
>that off kilter pop sounds seem to be on the way in, sort of an extension of PC music and the like
>definitely on the 2000s nostalgia

agreed

why should they reject them in general, genuinely curious? i actually think this might be what happens or at least the lines between recorded and live music become blurred

yeah this does seem to be a trend (kozelek, mumble rap, etc) , sort of an alternative to traditional notion of the singer or rapper

legitimately the authority on the matter

don't mind him. a lot of retarded people seem to think that if you're born after 97 you're a millennia nowadaysl.

"Trap rock" supplants alt/pop rock and trap. Groups like Imagine Dragons take advantage of this trend to extend their popularity.
OST music goes mainstream
Metal dies
Most pop musicians are LGBT because they're more marketable, causing people to consider music gay
Non-rap pop sounds like watered-down AnCo

>Most pop musicians are LGBT because they're more marketable, causing people to consider music gay
oh you mean like it has been since the 60's?

Bumping. This thread is really cool, gets me in the mood to create music of DA FUTOR.

>trap rock
My body is not ready.

Already has. Go listen to Digital Hardcore.

lmao you just described digital hardcore you pleb

This techno scene that youre describing is already really big in my area. Its all the edgy assholes responding to coachella EDM. They listen to techno that is all analog gear with some industrial influences (uptight Berlin people have been doing this forever) and they seem to like old-school british punk type vocals. They also all dress like they are in the matrix and they do coke all the time, while dancing to this till sunrise.