How do I not write generic lyrics

How do I not write generic lyrics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was reading the Psychick Bible and in there there's something about, write about what obsesses you and that in turn will give it personality and character. So think user, what fascinates and obsesses you?

Nothing, I don't care about anything. I want to kill myself.

so write about that
in your own unique way

it will be a depressing read but hopefully you'll get to understand yourself in the process

stop being a generic person

do some exercises where you dont worry about what you're even saying and how it sounds, and just write shit songs. realize that it's the pressure you put on yourself to make a "good, meaningful song" that usually causes it to come out sounding like overdone bullshit.

write lyrics about the ways you plan on killing yourself or ignoring your depression until things are a little okay

>leave your mother's basement
>read books or something with more substance (i.e. not Sup Forums shitposts)
>don't be scared if your lyrics are bad, there are a lot of popular songs with shitty lyrics

i always found that i wrote my best, most meaningful and powerlful lyrics right after writing some bullshit songs about penises or farts or some shit

you could just write a bunch of random words to form the lyrics and people will give it meaning for you

Unironically this

take mushrooms. not joking. don't believe me look up on it

you could also focus on killing yourself and not focus on writing lyrics or posting on Sup Forums

Write a bunch of stream on consciousness nonsense while thinking about shit that you normally bury, you'll find a couple lines worth riding on that are pure "you"

Write like early Beck and you'll get a deep appreciation for the power of meter

Write lyrics based on the protocols of the elders of zion

Dont do it user :(

Okay, how do I stop being a generic person?

>or ignoring your depression until things are a little okay
I don't think Manic Depression really goes away. Which probably means I should kill myself.

It's best for everybody
I'm a piece of shit

Get your shit together. Go to the gym, get a better job, stop doing drugs or drinking too much, learn something new, find niche interests that you're passionate enough about to the point where no matter how much you pursue them it doesn't feel like an effort, get a decent sense of humor that won't get you ostracized in public, and then you've almost got a personality going. Depression doesn't make great songwriters, it keeps good songwriters from becoming great ones. Just get it together, get some help. Or don't, I'm not your dad.

Write a song about lovers in new york
They just want to pork

I've never done drugs or drunk. Also, it sounds like you're telling me to conform and simplify myself.

>writing lyrics

Don't write lyrics.
Make instrumental albums. You have plenty of options. Folk, Jazz, Metal, Hip Hop, Plunderphonics, take your pick.

It sounds like you're saying your depression is your entire personality. That's pretty boring.

I want to be a rapper.

It basically is. I don't know where my mental illness begins and ends because I've wanted to kill myself since I was 11 years old.
I've been depressed for most of my conscious life.

At least make an effort to express your sorrows through a piece of art before you do user. Maybe someone will actually praise. Create things, don't just consume them my dude.

>ostracized in public, and then you've almost got a personality going
Not him but what does this even mean?

I want to write a song about Jonestown, how would I go about that?

>get a sense of humor that won't get you ostracized in public
Learn how to interact with people in a positive manner in real life.
>then you've almost got a personality going
By collecting a diverse group of interests and gaining the ability to convey them in an approachable way to others by following the above steps, you may actually become the kind of person who can write well

There is a method of writing lyrics where you sing melodic gibberish to your songs then find lyrics that fit

Attend a creative writing class.

If you want to deposit $2,000 to my bank account I'll try. But I can't make art when I'm broke AND suicidal.

Read more

and not just fiction. delve more into history.

You should make an album of penis and fart songs with a few of your profound songs thrown in just to confuse everyone as to your true intentions

>Jonestown
>Bitch, I'm going down to Jonestown
>Jonestown
>I heard it's getting cold now
>So I set down on the road
>Jonestown, bring me home

>>then you've almost got a personality going
>By collecting a diverse group of interests and gaining the ability to convey them in an approachable way to others by following the above steps, you may actually become the kind of person who can write well
I got that pumpkin.
But this
>get a sense of humor that won't get you ostracized in public
Doesn't make sense, you can't 'get' a sense of humour, unless your a socially manipulative bugman who lies through a mask

Write about your depression in great detail, look deep inside yourself

If I look in the mirror and don't like what I see?

You can find out first hand what it's like to be me

My name is Derek, I really gotta pee

thanks

>YOU JUST GOT TO
>BREAK ON THROUGH
>TO WHAT IS TRUE

write an instrumental

I want to rap.

Rapper who writes 150+ bars a day here. You see. People write about topics they know about rather than topics they don't. This is why so many great artists on artists are often singing about the same thing. To write lyrics that are good you'll have to write about stuff that means the world to you. Having a bigger vocabulary also helps a lot. If you're a rapper like me, look up stuff from Aesop Rock and GZA who have the biggest vocabularies in rap. Studying Shakespeare and the greats of your genre also helps a lot.
But most importantly. There's one thing that overshadows every piece of advice ever just in one video.
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

try to say something instead of trying to write poetry

>Haha I'm so smart just eat a greenbean and jog around the block and you too can be a cool customer
Jump off a bridge you fucking dickhead.

Hot chicks, fast cars, big trucks, drinking, Friday night fun, dirt roads, and tight jeans. If I mix that all together, I'll have an original song, right?

Could you elaborate?

I don't want to be an Aesop Rock MF Doom ass nigga I want to be like Kanye and A$AP Rocky

Bumo

are you me?

I write lyrics just as I wake up. I don't know why but it helps so much, also take drugs desu

Kurt Cobain did exactly this and the bastard actually made it work.

This guy is right. At the very least it'll expand your vocabulary.