Why do atheists think they're so clever when they cite old hebrew laws that were thrown out in the new testament...

Why do atheists think they're so clever when they cite old hebrew laws that were thrown out in the new testament? Do they assume any of this is news to Christians?

Other urls found in this thread:

spencerwatch.com/2011/05/22/the-“but-that’s-just-the-old-testament”-cop-out/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they're retarded. There's a reason the USSR wanted people to be atheists. Because such people are incredibly stupid and gullible.

Sup Forumssters do the same shit with Quran though

The Quran is the foundation for Islam

The new testament is the foundation for Christianity

Almost all the retarded and violent quotes from the bible are in the old testament

Too be honest I don't know even the reason why the old testament sans genesis and the flood wasn't just thrown out

Because they lack (religious) education and have no appreciation for the world they live in, contextually speaking. Marxists have convinced them that rejection of tradition is a sign of enlightenment, and thus they look for ways to virtue signal that by being 'new atheists'.

Atheists are good for marxists because they have no defined morals. The state and the media can mould them. They are malleable moral agents.

This is true on some level. Certainly being mostly white euros we don't have many koran scholars posting here and so we probably commit a tonne of errors similar to that.

However, you do have Koranic abrogation and a few other things that would indicate it is a bit more batshit insane than other religions.

Umm, no, we shit on Muslims for taking the Quran literally.
This guy is shitting on Christians for NOT taking the bible literally.

Except all the peaceful passages are in the beginning, the ones telling the faithful to murder and such are later. Couple that the practice of Islamic scholars and imams to abrogate the older verses with newer ones when a contradiction occurs, and you see why that happens.

It's not about literal or not. That's like saying there is a way to take Harry Potter 'literally'.

It's about context, education, understanding. How is the prose written? What period? Who was the audience? We understand this almost instantly with contemporary text, but when it comes to ancient ones we need to step back and think a little more before trying to filter it through our own lens.

>crab
>shellfish

Holy kek

You'd think the omniscient creator of the universe would have taken this into account when publishing his book. The language it was originally written in isn't even spoken any more.

who cares about these fuckers? it's all they have in their shabby lives.
pic related.

i always cringe when someone types in faux ebonics on the internet

Christianity comes from the new testament, which is a fulfillment of the old testament. The old testament is no longer the code for righteous living as it once was. The new covenant established by Jesus is the law.

The Quran is to Muslims what the new testament is to Christians. It encourages barbarism and backward thinking, and should be treated as such.

You mean the men who wrote historical accounts and letters that got compiled into a book by the Romans?

You dropped your fedora.

An attack on the Old Testamanet is anti-semitic.

>The new covenant established by Jesus is the law.
Unless you're gay, then the old rules still apply.

You're giving me a headache.
Who gives a shit about that? The only difference that matters is that the average Muslim reads the Qu'ran "Kill the gays". and he goes and does it. The average Christian reads the bible "Cut off your hands and pluck out your eyes", but doesn't go and do it.

As far as this debate goes, I don't give a flying fuck how much more peaceful the bible is than the quran, what I care about is the people reading and whether they act upon what they read or will they use some common fucking sense.

An attack on the Old Testament is essentially showing the lengths that God will and can go. It also shows a sense of arbitrariness in punishment, law, and morals.

He has to demonstrate how authentically uneducated he is, so that when he tries to educate Christians about Christianity he can do so from a place of scholarly authority.

They think they are so clever because they are clever by comparison to theists.

They still make mistakes.

They still make dumb assumptions.

spencerwatch.com/2011/05/22/the-“but-that’s-just-the-old-testament”-cop-out/

You have no understanding of Christian doctrine if you believe such things. You just sound like a retard.

If you don't believe me look up the new covenant and new testament theology.

A perfect example of Christ's reform is refusing to stone the prostitute.

Uppity nigga. I don't lie, I don't eat pork and I don't eat shell fish.

Now let me show you something real lit.

>someone makes an entire blog dedicated to discrediting JihadWatch
I wonder who could be behind this?

Because the New Testament is full of the same shit verses that also make no sense when you put them in the same context as the OP, but you idiots will defend the NT and conveniently call the OT garbage.

Pretty sure baptists still believe the Jewish shit and that's the Christian denomination most interact with.

Pretty much every atheist I've ever encountered came from a Baptist or Catholic background.

>Not an argument

No one called the OT garbage. It's called the OLD testament for a reason.

Because Christians quote the Old Testament to support their positions. You never hear about 'the new covenant' from Christians until they get butthurt over someone using the Old Testament against them. But since Christians love to bear false witness, they lie like crazy and claim to never use the Old Testament.

Are you waiting for Jesus Christ to swoop down and clean up this mess for us?

where does it say in the new testament that the old one doesnt matter anymore?

I've only seen atheists and fundamental Baptists use the old testament for anything other than historical, wisdom, and teaching literature.

Also strawmanning is a logical fallacy

The problem with Muslims is that they haven't learned to be religious hypocrites. Jews and Christians will happily say one thing and practice another. Muslims take their religious text too seriously.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart all your mind and all your soul. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

This is the law and the prophets."

You sound like the retard. Don't even know your religions own doctrine.

Which is funny since Baptists criticize Catholics for not being Bible focused.

>No u

are you saying you want us to throw gay people off buildings like the muslims do?

As an atheist, I sadly enough have to agree that indeed most atheists don't have enough appreciation for the world. I think this is because we see the world as having been randomly created instead of designed. To me however that only adds to the wonder of it all, how every single molecule in nature has been perfected by million of years of evolution with the white race at the top of it all.

Regarding morals I strongly believe in the superiority of Christian values but not in their perfection.

So you're saying I can just rip that first half out and throw it away? Great. Now there is no basis for the second part.

Look, I'm agnostic atheist but I don't shove that shit down other people's throats. If you wanna believe that shit is real that's fine. Secretly I think you don't understand critical thinking but who cares?

Are you calling millions of Baptists strawmen? You do realize Baptists actually exist, right? Are you trying to no true Scotsman away a major denomination of Christianity? You need to go read up on bearing false witness. Oh wait, that's the Old Testament. It's ok for you to lie since telling the truth apparently is a Jewish value and not something for Christians.

Jesus said the old laws were still valid. Fuck off, heretic.

>The only reply worthy of this thread

Top kek. Your still going to burn in hell for being an abomination tho.

>look up my point in my magic book it proves it for realz

ok and how does that make the old testament obsolete? and even if it somehow does, i dont see any christians throwing out the 10 commandments or the concept of original sin

Yes, but so do several hundred million Muslims.

Proverbs 28:9
>He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

If you are referring to the woman taken in adultery in John 8, you might want to read what the law actually commands in that case (Leviticus 20:10) and why he told the pharisees that they should cast the first stone if they are without sin.
Also note, how he didn't afterwards tell the woman to go forth and keep sleeping around.

It was an exaggeration, but you do ignore it so it might as well be garbage.

Why is it called the OLD testament? Because it's OLD?

So Christians claim a Jewish Bible isn't valid anymore because *GODWILLSIT*, and Muslims come along and claim the Christian Bible isn't valid anymore because *GODWILLSIT*, but somehow here you are in 2016, denying their claim and accepting your own?

Misinterpretations exist due to infighting over misunderstandings, translation error, and other cultural influences.

Again with the strawman.

Stop trying so hard you pretentious faggot. You aren't making yourself any better by misrepresenting what I said and sound Christian doctrine.

I mean considering that's the topic of discussion, it's a valid point, you fucking faggot.

It's called the Old Testament for the same reason that Old Navy is old.

My point is that Christians continue to peresecute gays while convienently doing shit like making ham sandwiches at subway on sunday.

The Covenant of Moses is explicitly between God an the Israelites (or perhaps the Hebrewites, which would be slightly more general, plus it could include a few more who were not Hebrewites but left Egypt with Moses). It is either between the race or the nation of Israelites, and it might be limited to the ancient Israelite nation. At most, those commandments are directed at modern Israelites. Even most modern religious Israelites don't recognize the Covenant of Moses as fulfillable since it explicidly requires the Arc of the Covanant and a 1st born male direct descendant of Aron, the first high priest of ancient Israel.

because if there's a difference between OT and NT, then it means God has changed. If God is perfect, then any change is imperfection.

Mate do you understand what Muslims believe of the Quran?

It is the perfect and unchanged word of God. So context, period, prose etc literally doesn't mean shit. It is absolute.

>For realz it proves it

Well it makes you seem pretty hypocritical if you're one of the Christians who use Leviticus to justify your homophobia. I'm all for writing off the vast majority of the Old Testament for anything other than historical context, myself.

If God is eternal and unchanging, the why would he need different covenants?

Manmade bullshit is the only thing that changes. That includes the Bible.

The old testament is how God dealt with his people before Christ. Once Christ came into the picture, he reformed the message.

Obsolete is a harsh way to put it. The new testament is transformed covenant with God.

The old testament is still an invaluable resource for wisdom and historical perspective.

>Misinterpretations exist due to infighting over misunderstandings, translation error, and other cultural influences.

Nope. Misinterpretation exists cause the religion is based on a ridiculous text, written by uneducated sheep fuckers.

Crab is included in that law, I believe.

Because your rules make no fucking sense.

>god is perfect and omnipotent
>he made retarded rules
>the he incarnated himself as a human and retconned the ruled
>lol stupid atheists do you not know our god changed his mind,blessed by his divine perfection

Christ established a NEW covenant, making the original covenant old.

Jews refuses both Christ and Mohammad, Christ died and rose again, Mohammad was a pedophile.

I mean if you don't believe in Christ it doesn't really matter to you, but to everyone else that's why Christianity is correct

>The old testament is still an invaluable resource for wisdom and historical perspective.

until it says something you dont want to believe (god condoning slavery genocide etc.)

The bible is the most retarded thing, only beaten by the quran, in any religion.
First off 3/4 are just jewish fairy tales. I don't even know why the fuck the Old testament is even part of the book.
Then there's the new testament, which first of all has the same story 4 times because fuck you. Then all the fucking letters which only seem to be in there because the authors have been wanking non-stop about how awesome Jesus was.

The athiests I know are the BIGGEST consumers.

They define themselves by their instagram pictures of 'high class' restaurant food

NOTE: THEY DO NOT COOK

They love nothing more than virtual reality video games and superhero movies and comic books

I'll concede my sample size is small but it's about 10 loud and proud athiests and they all share this common thread

There is no humbleness, there is no attempt to reconvene with the natural world, there is condescension and morals based on batman whereby you should just be a good person because it's the right thing to do and evil should be dealt with by someone else who has conviction that isn't you

It's the most influential work of literature in the history of mankind, and is the reason you exist.

You ungrateful brat :^)

I bet I could find a long fucking list of sketchy and fucked up pastors and clergy that are way worse than any of the atheists you mentioned

No I believe God meant those things.

That's why Christ is so key to the message. You can't go around genociding the native populations to spread a message of peace and love can you? Kinda defeats the original message

The point of the old testament is God is supreme and the Jews who listened to him were blessed.

Those blessings were extended to the entire world when Christ paid the debt on the cross.
No more genocide required.

No. It is not good reasoning and you don't know what that means if you think you do.

>
>It's the most influential work of literature in the history of mankind, and is the reason you exist.

>You ungrateful brat :^)

Pretty sure I was conceived when my dad shot his spermy in my mom's tummy.

>You can't go around genociding the native populations to spread a message of peace and love can you?

and did god just didnt realise that or does infinite knowlege doesnt come with basic logic? maybe he had jesus as plan B al along just in case the genocides didnt work out as well as he expected?

Why preserve the old testament in the bible, that was also the word of god, if you don't believe in it?

I'm an atheist but i dont do any of that shit, its your right to believe in what ever you want

K.. keep me posted

>Atheists
"Isn't it kind of stupid that god would write a book of retarded jewish fairy tales with rules that made no sense, and then decide to throw them out a few thousand years later because of some bullshit reason? Would somebody all knowing really do that?"

>Christians
"LEARN THEOLOGY HURR DURR WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S THE *OLD* TESTAMENT."

The only things Christians are bound to are things outlined in the New Testament. However, Christians still use the OT for moral guidance from the principles behind the laws. For example, the OT says that people need to put rails on the roofs of their houses because at that time it was custom for people to gather on rooftops. The Christian reads that and doesn't put rails on his roof but understands that God wants us to make our homes safe for our families and for guests.

The old covenant of the ancient Jews is what led to the establishment of the new covenant.

It's a complicated subject. There's a reason why there's so much room for misunderstanding, especially among Christians.

the bible also says to pay your taxes to caesar and to not live in lands not conquered by israel

Buttmad sandnigger detected

Donkey fucker detected

>christfags are quickly running out of places to hide under blissful ignorance
>each passing day makes their double-think more and more difficult until they inevitable succumb to reason

Beautiful. Both Christians and marxian-leftists are both cults that belong in the trash bin of history.

>Leaf

There are reasons why things are the way they are. Your lack of understanding only indicates you have no place speaking on such matters.

Whether you believe they are made up fairy tales or not, if you don't understand, you should refrain from speaking on it.

This is the most retarded post ive seen all day.

And you atheists call CHRISTIANS backward

I think you meant
>Atheists
'HURR DURR IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR, BELIEVING IN A GOD IS SO RETARDED LOL :D'

>Christians
"LEARN THEOLOGY HURR DURR WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S THE *OLD* TESTAMENT."

>Muslims
BELIEVE US OR WE'LL FUCKING KILL AND RAPE YOU

Muzzie mad

The old covenant with the Jews describes a society in which God's holy presence literally existed in the middle of town in a temple behind a shroud. It demanded absolute purity and anyone who tainted the land with sin was dealt with harshly. In the New Testament the Son incarnates and absorbs all the harshness of the law and asks that we, being thankful that we're forgiven and able to be in God's presence, show grace and mercy to the people who have wronged us.

However, it is worth pointing out that laws which seemed to have harsh penalties (picking sticks up on the sabbath) did not necessarily have those penalties carried out. The absolute harshest judgment is given in the text and it was up to the judges to determine what each situation warranted. Most of the time lawbreakers were made to pay a fine. There are some laws though, that will mention "do not allow him to pay a ransom," meaning you can't coin your way out of those.

Numbers 35:30, f anyone kills a person, the murderer shall be put to death on the evidence of witnesses. But no person shall be put to death on the testimony of one witness. Moreover, you shall accept no ransom for the life of a murderer, who is guilty of death, but he shall be put to death. And you shall accept no ransom for him who has fled to his city of refuge, that he may return to dwell in the land before the death of the high priest. You shall not pollute the land in which you live, for blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made for the land for the blood that is shed in it, except by the blood of the one who shed it. You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell, for I the LORD dwell in the midst of the people of Israel.”

Because there are a lot of idiots who throw old testament shit at them

Quran is the "literal word of god, period". The bible is a collection of tales written by men, it doesn't hold itself to the same standard.

Quran must be taken literally, otherwise you're not a muslim.

the Old Testament issue in Christianity is complicated and honeslty there are enough simple, easy to understand references in the New Testament that won't cause that "duhh shellfish" response.

"this is the most retarded post I've seen all day"

>just re-iterated that christians are all retarded in a calm way

You reek of salt and desperation, christcuck. Don't think too much now, wouldn't want you to start questioning anything.

Wow look at that, a christian in this thread saying "lern theology" after I mocked the christians in this thread for saying "lern theology" and avoiding actually making a logical argument about why my post is wrong.

> crab
> shellfish
Pick one.
Jesus christ, what a retard.

Because the irreligious forget one basic fact:
Scripture is supplemental to religion, not religion itself.

By what logic?
A complete reclassification according to arbitrary rules?

Please leave Sup Forums. Your posts are just a waste of fucking space.

Where does it state that Gentiles are on the hook for ancient Jewish dietary laws?