Was it the best metal album of the 90's?

Was it the best metal album of the 90's?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KLNLZaBrxbo
youtu.be/nUqfASftDFs
youtu.be/63chGFIlIE8
youtu.be/Stz8YdLLmAU
youtu.be/W9uuug7X1PQ
youtu.be/CBt-mwGtvHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

That one
Tool - AEnima if you count that as metal
Mayhem - De Mysteriis dom Satanas
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Death - Symbolic
Opeth - Morningrise

Good Spongebob metal.

Frizzle Fry

haha got your sims crystal

All of you are wrong

This is literally their magnum opus.

Blocks your path.

RIP is really more of a finale to 80s metal than it is a 90s album.

Not even their best

Most extreme Nr.1 record.ever, I give you that

I need to correct myself, it only reached place 4

>a finale to 80s metal
that would be pic related

You started off so terribly and ended so well.

All great answers.

No.

Backed

I'm the only one that prefer SFSGSW?

Creative riffing, amazing atmosphere, those damn drum grooves, unique vocals, Nespithe has it all.

I DON’T WANNA BE
I DON’T WANNA BE
THE CRIMSON IIIIDOL OF A MILLION EYES

this

Literal garbage, an insult to both classical music and neoclassical metal. I am genuinely disappointed in humanity that anyone besides the band and their mothers think that is good. If I saw you on the street, I'd kidnap you and force you to listen to Rising force on repeat Jesus FUCK WHY DO YOU PEOPLE LIKE THIS AAAAAAAAAAAAA

There is no best. Just personal preferences.

>be Priest
>come fresh out of court because some faggot blamed the band for killing himself
>"let's try speed metal cause everyone's doing it rn"
> proceed to be better than their contemporaries
Based Tipton/Downing

"fools"

good

Gotta be that one. Can't think of anything else.

I do as well, but it's not a 90's album.

One of the best metal albums ever made and really the only Pantera album that's even worth listening to now. Every other album feels so old and tired.

painkiller better

These are my favorites

Seasons

best metal instrumentals.
worst metal vocals.

you'll always be my bitch. just know that

One of the best metal albums of all time. This is objective, by the way.

Best guitar tone of the 90s, too.

Fucking incredible how they put out this monster of an album so late into their existence.

lol

Great album for sure, but personally, it's far too esoteric for me to list with these other GOAT albums.

Covenant >>>

Nothing quite like it, really.

Sorry, but Youthanasia was way better. Rust In Peace sounds great, but lacks focus. Youthanasia was their most mature album up to that point. No more edgy, cringy political, satanic rigamarole. Fight me.

>tfw can't blast family tree on speakers because family will get weirded out

RIP has better solos and riffs, and let's not forget the superb bass on Dawn Patrol. Also, edginess is the core aspect of thrash.

It's just such a tryhard pleb album. I guess you prefer Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" over "Vol. 4"

This. But don't forget the importance of Scott Travis in Painkiller. He helped them to completely re-define their sound and move forward into a new era.

Megadeth overall is quite overrated, but RIP is by far their most memorable output, with songs like Five Magics, Holy Wars The Punishment Due, Hangar 18 and Dawn Patrol.

>such a tryhard pleb album
Are you not aware of the genre Megadeth is a part of?

>Are you not aware of the genre Megadeth is a part of?
Thrash metal has tons of great, pleb filters bands and albums. Megadeth isn't part of it.

It probably is yes, but being a death metal fan at heart I just cannot discount None So Vile, Onward to Golgotha, Acts of the Unspeakable or Effigy of the Forgotten.

seconding this, it's genius beyond virtuosity though it is excellently composed in any case

It's a part of it all right, but it's among the weakest bands in it. And I was aiming at the "edgy" segment of that post I was replying to, since complaining about it in thrash, also metal in general, is quite ridiculous

>I guess you prefer Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" over "Vol. 4"
Yup.

All of you faggots except are completely wrong, and even then this guy is wrong. This is objectively the best.

yes it gotsome great riffs and guitar tone, and is a great album. But is it really the best ?
I prefer Agalloch - Pale Folklore, Edge of Sanity - Crimson, , and Painkiller

I prefer Clandestine Blaze and Wolverine Blues, Dismember wise, but the opening riff on Override of the Overture is marvelous.

It's better riffs wise, so yeah.

Yes

Gee, I wonder how they came up with that name. Decent music, though.

youtu.be/KLNLZaBrxbo
youtu.be/nUqfASftDFs
youtu.be/63chGFIlIE8
youtu.be/Stz8YdLLmAU
youtu.be/W9uuug7X1PQ
youtu.be/CBt-mwGtvHc

*laughs in riffs*

Cynic - Focus

yngwie is boring as fuck its like listening too a classical nerd masturbate for 40 minutes

You sir are correct

I'm thinking Priest have to be in the top three metal bands of all time. Love them so much. And they're probably the "truest" metal band, easily.

>truest" metal band
I love Priest, but what does that even mean?

An expression falsies use in order to fit in.

Painkiller is up there for me, but if we're going more for metal that is more definitive of 90s metal, it would probably have to be a Pantera album, for multiple reasons:

>post-thrash but getting a little slower
>the grooves, lower drop-tuned riffs
>the vocal style
>the fact of their popularity in purely metal terms even after grunge had wiped so much metal from the map suddenly

I'd also have to acknowledge death and black metal's importance in the 90s, death for the early part but particularly black going up through the decade. Of whom I'd probably pick a Darkthrone album, but I also rate Burzum highly.

This.

Fucking masterpiece of an album. Pantera literally saved heavy metal. Black metal and Death metal wish it got as heavy as this.

>Youthanasia was way better
Solid bait lad

Walk on home, boys.

The answer is here

True as in fidelity to the idea. You can get relative about the idea of metal, given the contesting approaches, but there was usually a cult of authenticity and purity to a lot of it, and Priest not only probably invented metal in its most 'pure' form but also stuck to it not only in the quality of their output, but very vocally in the media.

I'm actually an oldfag who was a metalhead before grunge even got big.

If you don't know this one, it's god tier

there's never been a metal album with slap bass on it friendo
Alternative metal is barely metal.
It's about as metal as Hair metal.

I still find it hard to believe that an album with Seth Putnam doing backing vocals on it went platinum.

Thanks for sharing.

Frizzle Fry is better

Obviously we all know it, but is it really metal?

>Darkthrone album
>Not A Blaze in the Northern Sky

My 90s metal albums as far as importance might be this, a Pantera album, and a Burzum album.

Uh, no?

It's close enough I'd say

Not even the best Burzum record, also not a very good record in general.

Soulside is better.

I was struggling to decide tbqhfam

Yeah I could agree with that - was the Burzum I almost posted, so well done that user

>Filosofem
>Not even the best Burzum record
>Soulside
>Better than A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Top contrarian.

A Blaze could also be considered contrarian, since Under exists. Also, saying Filosofem isn't the be all end all Burzum record isn't a controversial statement, since Varg was at his best with his first two records. Filosofem is a solid ambient piece, but in no way an impressive achievement.

>Alternative metal
>Alternative
>METAL
Sounds like it fits the criteria for being metal
Also RHCP are not alt metal so I don't know what you're trying to prove with that pic

This. Most of the songs on "Fry" were short and sweet and didn't delve off into 10 minute, boring, self-indulgent bass masturbation jam session tracks with a couple of short verses. Thank goodness for compact discs where you can easily skip said tracks on their later albums. It was like listening to Frank Zappa if Frank and the Mothers were in kindergarten.

Filosofem isn't the end all be all, Varg has made many great albums but Filosofem is still the finest of them all. The ambience of it is precisely what makes it that much greater than his earlier, less cohesive albums. It just washes over you like a great, entrancing wave.

For you. I'm more into the raw aggression and bathoryesque riff barrage his first two albums were known for, especially the s/t one. He also nailed the coldness black metal is supposed to convey rather nicely there. That 25 minute track on Filosofem is lovely for studying/reading or falling asleep to, and the main riff on Jesu Dod is a great example of repetition used well.

Short attention span or what?
I seriously think you should listen to seas of cheese again, i dont think it has any of the problems you describe

I would love to contradict you but I find it impossible.

Another great album

Listen to Abigor's second album if you liked ITNE.

Get fucked, cuck.

>CC
The biggest laughing stock in death metal, always were and still are, and you think they're better than Dismember? Good one.

It's either RIP or this, nothing else even comes close.

>biggest laughing stock
>kek
>Dismember is better
>literally 5 people listen to Dismember