/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides for French, Russian and Swedish.

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
japantoday.com/category/features/opinions/why-you-shouldnt-learn-japanese
youtube.com/watch?v=ntqBMFMGZ-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread:

got any more of dem charts?

>Do you guys recommend learning spanish before catalan?
no, unless you also want to learn spanish and want to learn it more than catalan.

Sig meget hurtigt "batteri" igen og igen til "tt" bliver rullet R.

unfortunately not

If anybody would like to contribute towards making such a chart, even if it's only a little, please do so. You don't even have to make it aesthetic, worst case scenario someone else will take care of doing that.

Pic related is my contribution for Spanish. As you can see, it's not much, but obiously if enough people contribute then we'll have some solid charts.

I'm not intermediate so I don't think I'm qualified to make one.

Are you sure? Even if it's only for getting to A2, it's better than nothing. Also we're always tempted to think "I can't contribute, since I'm not advanced enough yet, it would be hypocritical", but if we all think that way we'll never get anything done. I myself am only B2 in Spanish (barely), so I'm still far from being fluent or even confident in myself, however my experience for reaching my present level could still possibly be valuable to others.

I'm probably inbetween A1-A2 for farsi, but could work out a chart of some sort for farsi tomorrow which includes what I've done and plan to to in near future

I'm learning French and having a lot of fun with it, getting good too. Later this year I want to learn a third language but I can't make my mind up on which;

>Italian
>German
>Russian
>Japanese
>Korean
help me decide lads

I'd forget about Italian since you already speak french, the rest seem like valid choices. What are your priorities?

travelling, reading and watching films in the language, bantering online

I don't care about learning for business or work

I'd go for russian. Lots of great literature and cinema and plenty of shitposters online.

thanks, have narrowed it down now

Ok, so I am starting to learn spanish, can anyone link me a good youtube lessons for beginner. And when I say good i mean one with a lot of lessons, not just how to introduce you or have a xy random phrases.

P.S. is there a chart for spanish like swedish and russian one above?

honestly, russian is pretty enjoyable
it's quite difficult for an englishbabby like me, though

hereyeah it looks hard as balls

no offense to this guy but for some reason this pic triggers me. It is so autistic I can't stare more than 5 seconds into it.

I really can't decide on a language, there's a lot of languages I want to learn but it's pointless if I don't start learning something. Should I just say fuck it and go for French as my third language?

Yeah, French is based and also practical.

>honestly, russian is pretty enjoyable
it's hard so when you get something it's make you feel so proud of yourself desu senpai

well French gives you access to everything you could want from a language, French culture has great
>literature
>cuisine
>films
>history
>places to visit
>fun language that sounds nice and is looks pretty in print
It's even useful for employment if you care about that.

Not to mention it gives you an idea of Romance vocabulary

Don't even think of Japanese or Korean, waste of time.

not true

thanks for the answer, I'll start reading up on the grammar and pronounciation right away

Wanna be my bf?

T. Weaboo Jones

i agree lol

what have you been using?
i only know of easypersian.com and generic stuff like memerise or ankek

I like harsh sounding languages but not like arabic or any throat sound. So far i chose Finnish and Hungarian. I also want to learn Albanian to complete my Balkan languages knowledge. Cam anyone reccommend languages like these?

Also which one first? Finnish, Hungarian or Albanian?

))))

both russian and german are very nice sounding
i recommend you choose between them

Hungarian is an absolute bitch.

how come?

If you can't decide spend an hour on French, Italian and Spanish and choose the on you like best it's what I did

I assume you know English and Danish so I wouldn't learn another Germanic language, romance is better for you

I know, but it seems fun. Besides I wont have complications with the grammar because its similar to turkish

Does someone have any tips with learning basic vocabulary, what works for you the best. Like small tips.

ты пидp?

Is there any point at all to learn nordic languages? If yes, which one is better to choose, what are the core differences? They sound so similar.

Don't get me even started, they're completely rubbish. There was this very good article on learning Japanese, it really red pilled me. Should have saved the link. By any chance, does anyone here know the article I'm talking about?

>both russian
Kek. Never heard of this. Btw I found Romanian a very interesting and nicely sounding language.
What?
>harsh sounding
>not Arabic
Miboun.

constant exposure is best for me, if I see a word I don't recognise I look it up, I will usually forget it the first time but after encountering it 3-4 times I begin to remember

I speak French and Wolof. Where would Wolof be?

lol found it, please just give it a read, please.

japantoday.com/category/features/opinions/why-you-shouldnt-learn-japanese

I don't think there is a point to it, only if you really want to. It seems lots of immigrants do fine knowing only english.

are you a coloured fella

I was kinda studying Swedish in my university (it was a free course, not a part of the curriculum) but later I gave up on it. Lack of motivation, plus Swedes on int are sore assholes.
Ja, det är jag. Så vad?

Just make a shitton of flashcards of everything you encounter

When you revise don't give up if you can't recall a word instantly, take ~20 seconds. For some reason that little additional effort really halps remember things.

Write sentences. Never lists of words.

No reason as nordic countries are among the best english speakers in the world, but some say that they are fun and interesting. The best one to learn would probably be Norwegian.

lol no, I'm white, but I did live in West Africa for a few years

Men nu kan du prata i Finland också, bra kompis!

:--D

Så ikke noget.

oh cool

>flashcards
Awful advice unless you incorporate these flashcards into sentences/texts. The best way to learn and retain vocabulary is through context.
Ebin :D

Jag ska åka till Danmark snart, ska ni förstå om jag talar svenska, min bror.

>1471858559602.png (740 KB, 770x1215)
Dont think Russian is so popular.

Forvent at folk skifter til engelsk lige med det samme.

You wot? There's shitton of gaijins learning our groriousu ranguagu. Look up the previous thread.

>awful advice
Maybe for you, flashcards if done correctly are probably the simplest and best tool to remember vocab. Also I did tell him to write sentences.

I want to go to Senegal within the next 2-3 years. I speak passable French. Any advice?

wear a condom

Oh, sorry, Krzysztof.

Currently learning Spanish, i took two intensive semesters of it in my senior year in college, just graduated 2 months ago.

I'm intent on becoming fluent, so I'm just going to move to Guadalajara, Mexico in 3 weeks to teach english. Really pumped i got the job! But i know i have a lot of work to do in regards to learning Spanish.

How long do you think it will be till I'm fluent? I would say I'm slightly above intermediate at this moment. Has anyone else moved over to another country to learn a different language.

This is literally a shock course!

You do realise that those types of articles are simply written by weeaboos who wish to reduce the flow of people learning their "secret language". I guess you fell for it.

but not so may as those learning French or German

It's alright Димa

Rate Merkel's Russian Rusbros.

youtube.com/watch?v=ntqBMFMGZ-Q

Are you usually op btw?

Passable.

totally ok

you'll probably struggle a bit when you go to Mexico, it's always a shock when you actually live in the country and need to speak the language to survive

you will improve and have lots of fun though

Passable French should be all you need language-wise.

The only dangerous parts are outside the airport, the major Dakar market, and the nightclub district in Dakar. The more rural you are, the safer you are and the nicer everyone is.
Go to Saint-Louis and Fatik. If you're feeling adventurous, go to Ziguinchor and maybe Kedougou.
Bargain for everything. Never take the first offer, unless it's already really low and you're someplace super rural, because the villages are the only places people will be straight with you on prices, outside of tourist establishments.

It's not an AIDS country

Yeah, thoughs first two months are gonna be way hard man. The company i work for offers spanish classes, so I'm defiantly going to jump into thoughs to ensure success.

Defiantly going to be hard though.

How strictly Muslim is the country? Like totally secular or a mixed bag?

The cities aren't strict at all. South is super liberal. The middle isn't strict, but it is important to dress modestly, especially for women. The northern desert parts are really strict with dress.

At what point in my learning should I search for a language partner?

Where do you find appropriate reading material, /lang/?

B1-B2

doing it too early is distracting and they can't help you much

>I also want to learn Albanian to complete my Balkan languages knowledge
do you speak nkreek tho
nah
she's a fine lass
just far away from home

no not really

the fuck is nkreek

Alright, thanks.

narrowed it down to Italian, German and Russian

greek
but spelled with nkreek spelling rules
the nkreek alphabet has a bunch of weird writing conventions
since a bunch of sound changes occured
the b sound is written mp since beta became veta
the d sound is written nt because delta became dhelta like the sound in "they"
the g sound is written nk because gamma is now ghamma which is between g and h

They are several schools of thought on this.

Some people will say that you should do it straight away, starting from the moment you can string your first sentences together.

The issue is that it puts a big burden on your partner if there is a big gap in proficiency between you two.

If you find someone who is ok with this as long as he gets to practice their skills for the same amount of time then it's alright.

Others will say that some intermediate stage is better, though you might procrastinate and keep putting it off by justifying it with your lack of proficiency. Yes, at some point you have to string your first robot-like sentences together to try to communicate with another person and get to practice.

On apps like HelloTalk or Tandem you can just start talking to people. I, personally, talked to several dozens of people. Many just one or two times. Others more regular to a few I talk to virtually every week. You don't really have to make a great commitment to a fixed exchange if that's not what you are into.

It's hard to find committed and reliable anyway. So consider talking to many people.

I'm beginning to recognise your posting style, you seem very knowledgeable on the process of language learning. I feel like I should be taking notes.

I personally believe that burdening someone to basically become my private tutor is both selfish and rude and will eventually lead to nowhere, so I do want to reach a level of proficiency in which I can at least talk about casual things before I search for a partner.

I'm personally considering hiring a tutor or attending classes to accelerate my learning a bit, albeit I'm not sure exactly how much this would help. I generally do prefer self-study, but talking with someone who knows the language inside out, or finding other people as enthused to learn as I am seems like it could both contribute to my drive and morale immensely.

tfw fluent in English but still can't pronounce the th in sentences, every sentence with a couple of th's either in a row or not is a fucking tongue twister and I just end up saying d instead. Someone end me pls

sounds interesting but i doubt i can find textbooks for that

>I personally believe that burdening someone to basically become my private tutor is both selfish and rude and will eventually lead to nowhere, so I do want to reach a level of proficiency in which I can at least talk about casual things before I search for a partner.

Well, like I said. Some people are ok with that as long as you switch to the other language for the same amount of time or look for people on your level. On the other end of the spectrum there are some very selfish people out there. Never be to afraid to insist on your turn.

There are also other ways. Like you mentioned, private tutors in real life but you can also go to Italki and pay a professional/semi-professional person to tutor you over the Internet.

>I do want to reach a level of proficiency in which I can at least talk about casual things before I search for a partner.

In the very beginning you should establish some kind of 'routine'. What I mean is that you should look up the specific vocabulary that relates to your own person and how to present yourself and talk about yourself and your life a bit.

It's hard to start a conversation from scratch and it's easier if you have managed to nail that initial part down, it makes expanding conversations to other topics easier.

>tfw learning Arabic

Who the fuck thought the emphatic dh sound was necessary

>The next time we see each other...we'll talk about your mother. I promise.

Desu Arabic is the most complex (in phonology and morphology) language that is widely spoken.

Yeah, we're barely into grammar right now, but the complexity keeps ramping up with no end in sight. Haven't been scared out yet, though, so I'm going to keep going. I just really hate that particular sound because I can't pronounce it and can hardly hear it.

I'm weeb but rather learn rus first...

Which textbook is best to start learning Spanish ?

2 years of French and all I really remember is to say "my name is slim shady"