When the Spice Girls hit America in 1997...

When the Spice Girls hit America in 1997, did that help kill Gen X teen culture and replace it with early Gen Y teen culture?

Shortly after the Spice girls arrived, similar hits followed by the Backstreet Boys, Hanson, and Aqua, and grunge-era bands like Soundgarden broke up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As someone who was a teen at that time, yes, yes it did.

So you're like 37?

grunge died the second cobains brains splattered against the wall.
Then post grunge happened, a pale imitation of grunge and corporate abomination that brought nothing new to the table.
Unlike post punk.
I wouldnt say rock went dormant. I think that was when weezer came.
Also Nu metal
also pop punk

Okay nirvana is early 90's

this is late 90's

youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

That's mid 90s (1994)

same difference
I see green day as a late 90's band.

But 1994 felt way different from 1999. Even 1996 was way different from 1999.

idk lol i was 2 years old in 1997

Someone old enough to remember here.
Bugglegum pop, nu-metal, post-grunge, pop-punk and whatever all co-existed. I remember hearing Evanesence and Britney on the same station. Pop radio had a LOT more variety back then. What really shifted the format was the arrival of hip-hop, mainly Eminem, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, and OutKast, that all put diamond albums out from 99-04.

peak green day are late 90's slacker bro pop punk green day
and early 2000's "ahh shit got to keep up with these emo kids" american idiot green day

this guy knows math

I think they definitely helped kill chart music.

what the fuck is this even supposed to mean

An opinion. Music in the top 10 (in my country) kind of went downhill post-1998. Since then it's like every tune has been constantly recycled with maybe a few original tier hits popping up here and there, but not like before.

fair enough

you're obviously too young to remember. dookie was peak green day, insomniac was good too. they completely fucking ruled the mid-90's along with the offspring

What I'm also trying to say is; like 90% of the hits here since the late 90s have been Record Label/Reality show organised Pop Vocal groups with maybe some solo singers. Whereas before we had a mix of that and random artists with different styles. I'm not saying these vocal pop groups are 'bad' or anything. I'm just saying that the charts seems kind of lame now since it's only playing the same kind of stuff.

where are you from ?

that's the exact year i view the decline as as well. i was in junior high at the time but i could still see it coming with limp bizkit and korn replacing the old guard, and green day and offspring had to turn to memes. music in general became very memy around '98. it was all pop stars and 7-string rock-rap groups

Who is the spicegirls of soundcloud rap?

We'll never know...