"and he was a good friend"

>"and he was a good friend"

Why does this line get so much mockery? Its true that Obi and Anakin were good friends, and its clear Obi-Wan is painfully reflecting on and regretting what happened when he said it... Its a good line and is not out-of-place in any way. Why does it get so much mockery?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ke1B1iAeY2c?t=4962
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Luke, did I ever tell you about your father? I cut his legs off and left him lying near a sea of lava. I think he was on fire, maybe, I don't know for sure, I left. Ani was a good friend.

It might be the vodka, but oh how i fucking laughed

cause he carved him up like a fucking ham?

He separates Anakin and Vader in his mind. He and Anakin were good friends, they fought in the wars together and everything, he was his apprentice. He didn't slice up Anakin, he sliced up Vader.

Because memes

We're all really unfunny

that doesnt change that they were once good friends. hes speaking in past sense

The mockery is directed at how the prequels destroyed the integrity of the OT. The absurdity of the prequels makes looking back at the OT a hilarious farce. Bravo, Lucas.

So he's using doublethink?

Orwell was a time traveller.

We're making fun of how Alec Guiness basically destroyed his legacy as an actor by acting in an autistic capeshit flick, which, unbeknownst to him became an immortal piece of pop culture thanks to the complete proletarization and mass production of culture and the epidemic of sub-normal low IQ manchildren.

This post.

No. He just has memories. I had a friend once, we used to hang out a bunch, he was a good friend. Then he got into a bunch of drugs, did heroin a bunch, now I never see him. He was a good friend.

Because any time we see the two of them together in the prequels, they're either:

a.) bickering
b.) talking shit about the other behind their back
c.) fighting with lightsabers
d.) burning one another alive

None of those imply friendship. In fact, Obi-Wan dislikes Anakin and the burden he represents immediately after meeting him, and by RotS, Anakin goes from distrusting Obi-Wan to literally screaming I HATE YOU. Those were the last words they exchanged.

"Good friend" is not how I would reflect on that relationship personally.

but they talk about all those fun adventures they had together, and smiled at each other and stuff

Because the way Obi-Wan talks about him makes him seem like some sort of larger-than-life war hero that was loved and respected by all.

Then the prequels came out and showed that he was a whiny teenager that nobody liked and everybody was suspicious of but put up with because he was unnaturally good at everything

>He separates Anakin and Vader in his mind

that's because Anakin and Vader are two different people, turning to the dark side makes you another person

that's why George fixed Return of the Jedi and put in at the end young Anakin just before he "turned"

Between AoTC and ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin are supposed to become close friends like brothers due to the nond formed during a war

idk if the clone wars or the CGI show shows this but they are supposed to be butt buddies by the time ROTS happens

anakin only really talks shit about obi wan in ROTS because sheev is rusing him

you are supposed to watch the animated show which was canon where they went on adventures together

If it's not in the movies it doesn't count.

Anakin is talking shit about Obi Wan immediately in ep 2.

>hours of supplementary material is necessary to fully enjoy the film

I also had this problem with Rogue One. Cut it out with this shit.

>anakin only really talks shit about obi wan in ROTS because sheev is rusing him

He starts bitching to Padme about him the second they're alone in AotC. While Obi-Wan talks shit about HIM with the black Naboo security chief.

yea i guess idk why george wrote anakin like that

you need to tell that shit in your fucking movie
it wouldn't be hard to not film all the stupid, meaningless crap and actually focus on the characters maybe idk what do i know

This guy knows.

Perharps he was admiring a vase or an urn at the time.

Did you even watch the first act of RotS? They are literally best buds

"I'm gonna help that guy"
"*rolls eyes*"
sure, best buds

yet here you are trying to score "clever boy" points with those same sub-normal low IQ manchildren. Pretty sure that makes you a loser.

This is why, it's seems clear that the end of their relationship in RotS wasn't in mind when the good friend line was written. It's also funny because Obi-Wan cutting off all of Anakin's remaining natural limbs seems extremely ruthless and out of place for his character, on top of then leaving him burning to death. It felt like a last minute excuse to be able to show the Vader suit at the end of the movie, because you know, how can there be a new Star Wars trilogy without the Darth Vader suit?

>uh remember that time we fell into a nest of gundarks?
>yeah and i had to save you for the fourth time
>third time!

Oh yeah, I remember that witty banter that made me warmly think about other times where I had to be told these characters were friends because the movie couldn't properly convey it. Real light hearted scene, slapstick with R2 and everything.

That was right before Anakin brutally decapitated Count Dooku, correct? Wholesome stuff.

Honestly the Star Trek sequels make the same mistake. They try to force a Kirk/Spock bromance because we as an audience know these characters were very close. But rather than showing them behaving like friends, every scene they're shouting at each other or choking each other on the bridge. Or talking to other characters about how much they can't stand the other. Then they force a fake Kirk death in ST:ID and attempt to wring emotion out of it? It's embarrassing.

>Score points

He's anonymous, you goof. Go back to that site that you came from that was not this one.

>Luke, did I ever tell you about your sister, Leia? She had memories of her mother despite being only 1 minute old when her mother died yet no memory of you even though you were born seconds apart. She was also vital to the defeat of the Empire, which saw the death of the Emperor and his right hand man. 20 years later, she was a general of a Resistance army fighting the last remains of the empire called the First Order, which doesn't make sense since the First Order is the actual resistance to the new republic that was in power after the fall of the empire. She was a bad CGI character.

By "sequels", obviously I mean the Abrams reboot and its sequels. Not the TOS movies.

It stems from the RLM/mainstream belief that Star Wars universe only works if it's extremely simplistic, vague, and does not venture into new territory.

It's mocked because due to the prequels/EU Obi-Wan and Anakin had a lot of different episodes/adventures together with lots of complicated sub-arcs and the like. People think it's funny that you can post the arc of Obi-Wan/Anakin meeting The Ones for instance in the context of him fondly remembering that clusterfuck.

These people mainly have a view that the Star Wars galaxy should be extremely small and limited in scope and the stories should never attempt to move outside of its original structure.

But that's still retarded. The original image was Anakin as a kindly middle-aged man, unscarred, as if he never turned to the Dark Side. That's a much more powerful image than putting in Hayden Christensen 20 years later.

>She had memories of her mother despite being only 1 minute old when her mother died yet no memory of you even though you were born seconds apart.

this is a dumb thing to nitpick

memory doesn't exactly always make sense in real life

>She was very beautiful. Kind, but... sad.

Leia literally describes her looks and personality, bro. It's a completely legitimate thing to nitpick.

> youtu.be/Ke1B1iAeY2c?t=4962

Relevant.

People invent memories all the time.

who cuts a good friend into pieces, literally

>past sense

Because it's proof that Lucas didn't think these movies out beforehand like he's supposedly said before.

real people do

it's done to show flawed characters

It's an oversight in writing for this. With only a few hours to develop a character, something like this should've been caught. It stinks of bad writing and changed narratives

Wait a minute I thought she was talking about her adoptive mother in that scene. That's the only way it makes sense once the prequels enter the picture. Of course when the OT came out they were obviously talking about Luke and Leia's actual mother, but don't pretend you actually believe the prequels were in mind when that scene was written.

This is precisely it though. Obi wan couldn't even bring himself to kill Anakin, he cared too much about him so he just left him.

>luke, did I ever tell you about your father? I literally quartered him and left his body to burn. Let's go to a shitty bar.

It gets mocked because they have no relationship in Phantom Menace, and virtually hate each other in Attack of the Clones.

Their 'friendship', as it were, exists in a vague, completely off screen time between AOTC and Revenge of the Sith.

In ROTS, Obi-wan cuts his 'friend' to pieces and leaves him to slowly burn to death.

Kek

"Watch out for that vicious bounty hunter Boba Fett, Luke. Did I ever tell you I fought his dad? He was hired to assassinate a senator me and your father were guarding. We kept bringing her around open windows and public areas in order to draw the would-be assassin out because we knew he had too much pride to just shoot her from long range. He had used his payment to hire another bounty hunter to kill the senator for him while he sent us on a wild bantha chase. Also the 2nd assassin used her payment to buy a robot to assassinate the senator for her. Did I mention the 2nd assassin was a shapeshifter? She could have been a good friend in disguise and just shot the senator for all we knew! Then the robot used its payment to buy poisonous bugs to release into the senator's room while she slept after lasering a hole through the window. It could have just lasered her too after that because we we weren't watching her at all, but it already bought the bugs. So we sense the hostile life forms (not the robot) in the room and rush in and save the senator in the nick of time! Then I jumped out the window to chase the robot back to its owner! Luckily it didn't have a self-destruct function. Then we found the 2nd assassin and chased her across the planet, and caught her when she tried to kill us instead of shapeshifting and escaping. But to our surprise, Jango Fett was watching the whole thing instead of going to kill the senator while we were away chasing the bugs chasing the robot chasing the shapeshifter. He shot her with a poisonous dart instead of sniper blaster, and only her instead of shooting all of us or blowing all of us with a rocket or something, then he escaped with his tiny jetpack. Luckily for the senator, my good friend Dexterr Jettster owned a 50s dinner on Courscant that had Republic secrets on the menu along with cheeseburgers and malt shakes. We found the assassin and Mace Window killed him later, right in front of Boba. And he was a good friend."

No, she says her real mother died when she was very young.

One who cuts up children, probably.

>Why does it get so much mockery?
Because it doesn't fit the retcons. What are you, autistic?
Lucas could've made the prequels work if he'd put any effort in. He didn't.

>Republic secrets on the menu along with cheeseburgers and malt shakes

lol'd

>I HATE YOU
>ALSO GIVE MY LIGHTSABER TO MY SON WHEN HE'S OLD ENOUGH

love the classics

Luke did I ever tell you about chairs? Chairs were pieces of furniture humanoids could sit in or on (depending on the type of the chair). Chairs came in many shapes and styles, and chairs that could hover also existed. Chairs were common household items throughout the galaxy. They were good friends.

The Force.
It binds everyone, Leia was force sensitive too. She just had a force impression of her mother

Luke, when I met your father he already a great pilot, of space go-carts. But I was amazed at how strongly the Force was with him, because my tri-corder said he had a very high Midiclorian level

>Luke, did I ever tell you about your uncle Owen? After I dismembered your father and let him burn alive as I watched, I dropped you off at his door on the planet Tatooanistan. He tried to protect you from me, since as soon as I enter your life, they'll die. Now let's go to a shitty bar and look for a way to get to a nice place where you can watch me die and I can haunt your thoughts forever.

The Clone Wars fleshes out their relationship and shows that they are friends. Anakin tests the limits, but you can tell they have a deep respect for each other.

faggot, not literal tallied points, did i call you a faggot yet?

>oh hey the last time i saw your dad i turned him into human charcoal.

well, if Padme can fall in love with a young man given to fits of anger in his presence, I suppose him being Obi-Wan's good friend ain't no thang.

Am I the only one that thinks the new movies are the only ones worth watching

how many jar jars do you own?

New = tfa/r1

>The First order is some kind of paramilitary group that's more powerful than the republic that rules the entire galaxy
>Instead of just crushing the First Order, the republic funds a resistance so the good guys can be scrappy rebel underdogs again

TFA is trash

>oh hey last time i saw your dad, that shithead just murdered a bunch of children, and tried to murder a pregnant lady
>he was a good friend

implying the younglings werent evil.

Retards obviously werent getting it though, as evidenced by this thread. Either way its canon, so theres no use getting asspained about it

Luke, did i ever tell you a bar named teevee? Is full of interracial lovers, they're clearly not good friends.