Why isn't there a single competent soldier in the SW universe?

Why isn't there a single competent soldier in the SW universe?

Look at this retarded shit. Grievous has 4 fucking arms, each one with a lightsaber, and he decides to clash 2 lightsabers against Obi-Wan

Why isn't he using the other 2 to stab obi wan to death? He literally has no other defense, his only lightsaber and both arms are stuck trying to fend off Grievous' double lightsaber.

Now, he actually doesn't even needs to use the 4, just turn off one lightsaber to make it pass right through Obi wan's, and turn it on right in front of his head. Or twist it and stab him with it.

Then there's the blaster-wielding enemies who never get accurate shots. And the whole myth behind "JEDIS ARE VERY HARD TO HIT WITH BLASTERS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SMALL PRECOGNITION SKILL!" is bullshit. Even if they did had precognition, that wouldn't mean that they would be able to dodge/deflect every single bolt thrown at them. Lets say they have 4 soldiers in front of them, and each soldiers shoots a bolt at a different part of the jedi's body. Even if the jedi knew they would shoot, he would be unable to dodge/deflect all of them. His hand would need to spin like a helicopter rotor in order to do so, the bolts are like 10 times as fast as a sprinting human. Even if he has the reaction times, he doesn't have TIME itself to get away from all the shots.

This is why I fucking hate star wars, jedis are not badass warriors because they're super strong, but because their enemies are complete idiots

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hsY_yk370G8
youtube.com/watch?v=LbpDxrew4A0
youtube.com/watch?v=j1UPccudqmU
youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4
youtube.com/watch?v=64-3talVkUA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've always thought it would be very cool to see a lightsaber fighter that switched off his lightsaber to get past an enemy's defense

Your problem is that you're thinking way too hard about it. The fights are designed to look cool, not realistic it's fucking Star Wars m8.

>Fights are designed to look cool
>The droid with 4 fucking lightsabers only uses 2 of them and he uses them in mirrored moves alone
>Not realizing that designing a choreography where a character with 1 lightsaber needs to adjust to an enemy with 4 would be ten times cooler than just having the enemy autistically wave half of his arsenal around

It's a film calm down

weird way to spell "flick"

expecting good tactics from a guy wearing his heart, or gizzard, or last living organ of some kind dingley dangley dongley out in the open in his rib cage, and not having a robot backup for it at that

I think that was Yoda's stye... in the EU. they had a proper name for that fighting style too.

>not posting the gif where Obi-wan and Anakin completely stand still and whirl their sabers around each other without even hitting each other's saber

Because George Lucus is garbage. It looks good in his head, but it takes other people to actually make it look good.

>got 2 of his hands cut off in matter of seconds
>he's supposed to be one of the best jedi hunters

thanks lucas

grievous is supposed to be damn good with lightsabers to the point most jedi can only win if they use the force because even jedi knights and some masters get outskilled by him

very few lightsaber users (eg: dooku and windu) could beat him in an actual lightsaber combat without the use of the force

of all the stupidities of the prequels' wire-fu, this was the most interesting part. it seemed similar to boxers feinting, in this case, using all their force fighting powers, they could not find any advantage in any attempt to strike, so just kept whirling around as fighting equals. they also tried force pushing each other to equal failure.

Not saying it was a great moment, but it wasn't the silly one often suggested.

Dooku and windu fought grievous?

And under which circumstances Dooku did it? Weren't they allies?

Dooku trained Grievous and regularly sparred with him

Dooku TRAINED Grievous. Come on, lad.

>its an OP expects a flick to be like a kino episode

It only looks bad because it's an extremely small part in a permanent loop. It looks leagues better in the actual film. They're both simply deflecting trying to find a weakness but they cant. The only thing I liked about episode 3 was that fight.

Also, IMO the best fight in the entire series was in phantom menace, qui-gon and obi wan vs darth maul.

Looks even better like this

youtube.com/watch?v=hsY_yk370G8

I'm sorry but that wasn't in the fucking films and don't expect me to know about the EU.

Being a droid you'd figure they uploaded a combat program a la matrix

Star Wars is a screenplay, not a movie. What you are seeing is actors playing the parts and portraying the intended stories. If the duels were portrayed realistically they wouldn't last long enough to be entertaining. Look at a play of Hamlet or other Shakespearean play and you will see similar duels.

I find it more disturbing that a drone has "honor". There's literally hundreds of SBDs ready to obliterate obi with their wrist rockets but they don't do it because Grievous told them not to.

And in the clone wars, when Grievous is about to be killed by a nightsister, he orders all the drones to fire at her which ultimately gets her killed

But required 100 times the work

Obi had the mental high ground

>It only looks bad because it's an extremely small part in a permanent loop. It looks leagues better in the actual film.
No. It was really noticeable and shit the first time I saw it in a theater.

>ruining the perfect score with that weebshit manchild videogame trash
you have to go back

He's not a droid, he's a fucking cyborg. He still has the brains and skills of his physical body. But he still has to learn, can't just upload shit to him. He just has training with a lightsaber by the sith.

He's not a droid either

i don't really remember the lame ass EU shit but i recall him hating jedi which would make more sense, he wants it to be personal
i could be wrong but i'm not gonna look that shit up since i don't really care

It's almost as if it was a film of one of the most iconic, if not the most iconic saga of all time, so it justified every bit of effort

Grievous was ripped straight out of the 2D Clone Wars cartoon but Lucas decided to make him super incompetent and have him cough a lot for some reason. Seriously, what was the deal with the coughing? Really dumb gimmick, especially for the third film that's supposed to be the "darkest" of the trilogy.

He was an alien that got the darth vader treatment. I don't remember why he had a hate boner for jedi, but it's a game for him.

And he dies by a blaster... used by a fucking jedi. How lazy can you get?

Windu Force Punched him in the chest and fucked him up, if I'm remembering that right.

Jedi sided with the kaleesh enemies, the Huk, during a war between kaleesh and huk

It's almost as if the films proved there's no such thing as the perfect duel no matter how over the top the choreography is if there's no compelling tension

Though not quite the same, in the novel of Revenge of the Sith Obi-wan uses the force to turn off Anakin's robot arm, making him drop his lightsaber

youtube.com/watch?v=LbpDxrew4A0
Great trailer for a terrible game, but they do interesting things with the fight choreography like what you waid.

Game would be so much better if it wasn't so jew'd
>pay so you can chat
>pay so you can craft anything
>pay for this
>pay for that
>hey! having too much fun????? PAYYYYYY MEEEEE
Fucking Disney.

There are probably more issues than just that given it's a Bioware title

You think Disney would allow distribution without their suckling appendages going deeeeeep into the game?

>Grievous was ripped straight out of the 2D Clone Wars cartoon but Lucas decided to make him super incompetent and have him cough a lot for some reason.
If you actually watched said 2D Clone Wars, you'd know that at the very end, Windu force-chokes Grievous' heart right as he was boarding his escape ship, crippling him. That's why he's fucked up at the start of Ep3, which continues very close to where the 2D series ended.

Obi Wan is the Wayne Gretsky of the super defensive lightsaber form

I think the bigger problem with the Star Wars movies when it concerns the Jedi and other such things is that "The Force" never really seems like it is all that much of an advantage.
At least not until the prequels, but even then it was a bit fucked up beyond what the original sort of intent seemed to be.

So in the original trilogy, The Force is this mystical force beyond the physical limitations of a person that was like a stat buff of sorts. Some things could be lifted and moved around with some concentration but it mostly seemed to exist in a mental realm. Helping the character have some sort of spidey-sense sort of deal. Luke was trained in its use and refined but did he ever really use it in combat? Did Vader? Did the Emperor?
Well, Vader once pulled a thing off the wall and threw it at Luke during a fight. The Emperor had his famous lightning thing. Luke didn't really do much though, most of what he used it for was to bring his light saber to himself.
See, in the original trilogy, "The Force" is more of an analog of something more abstract like confidence and sense of purpose.
Remember, the first "use the force" moment really comes from him basically needing the confidence to not rely on a shoddy "aiming computer" and trust in his own abilities to aim a weapon based on his experiences (bullseying womp-rats while on his speeder bike back home).
As Luke's confidence in himself and his sense of purpose and goals become more clearly defined so does his power in "the force".

I should clarify I haven't even bothered to try the game. I called it as being a disaster at its launch because of the format change to MMO leading to the kind of jewery on display today. If only we could get games like KOTOR from competent studios today

This would have been subtle and interesting, so naturally it was completely discarded for the prequels.

Well you're right, it's a pretty dull game. The only real way to enjoy it is to pay for everything. KOTOR was the only redeeming game besides the battlefront games. Barring the late one, that game was absolute garbage, I have no words for how bad Battlefront was. They literally could have just copied battlefront 1 in 2016 level graphics/audio and it would have made at least 8/10 scores and awards

True but even in the OT the Force was something very few people could tap into and it was always related to the hero's journey destiny and purpose.
The Force was with you if you were attempting to do grand things that were destined to happen, be it for evil or good.

Pardon the weaboo comparison but it's kind of like haki in One Piece.
Characters that have no dreams/purpose or have lost their willpower have no haki (the Force) and characters who are headstrong, brash, confident and resolute do have it and can effectively use it to do feats of strength and charisma.

But even in OP haki is not something everyone has and can tap into.

youtube.com/watch?v=j1UPccudqmU

Battlefront is almost a complete game now

Star Wars games have gotten progressively duller and less innovative but there are still a lot of early ones that merit attention. Going from Battlefront 1 and 2 to EA Battlefront was such a stupendously obvious misstep that I honestly doubt people will be buying/producing SW games for a while.

I think i'm going to re-download/play Jedi Outcast again, there are a lot of excellent things about that game, especially the weapons and levels.

There's a reason so few can tap into the Force in the old movies... Most of the Jedi are all dead. Darth Sidious, and most Sith that are still in hiding are still practicing the Rule of Two. There isn't much room for learning anymore, especially since Luke's Jedi school ended in Kylo killing everybody

To continue...

In the prequels The Force is its own entity of power and so it is treated as such but it is applied, rather dumbly, to making these characters able to do amazing physical feats. Jumping and flipping all over the place, unlimited endurance in battles, constantly blocking dozens of laser bolts with their light sabers, etc etc. Of course they do end up picking up and throwing more things but to be rather honest, none of that really ever seems, in the prequels, to show why the force users are such dangerous fighters.
You only think they are because of what all the stuff outside of the actual movies has told you. These would be books, video games, cartoon series, fan speculation/agreement, etc...
But the movies never show this...and in fact you have a bit of convenience thrown in with Order 66 where suddenly all these Jedi who should be amazingly bad-ass in battle are just simply gunned the fuck down.

To be rather honest, the ONLY thing in the movies that would suggest The Force, when utilized, can be something that would make even a single user of it something to have to consider is the Darth Vader hallway scene from Rogue One.
I like this little scene because it does multiple things which i'm sure are lost on the audience and probably even lost on the film makers themselves...

One: It gives Darth Vader a bad-ass original trilogy reputation as an absolute beast on his own. I never understood why people were so scared of this one black-cloaked lumbering asshole that could do a couple of little magic tricks. Most I ever could figure was that if he was around you could bet a fleet of Imperial troopers were around too.
Two: It shows the force as a combative tool beyond what it could do for a person's physical form (flipping and jumping and stuff). The Force can turn a lumbering cripple into a very deadly murder machine.

The best comparison to "the Force" I've seen is that moment when you're in the zone when playing some action video game. When you're so in tune with the game mechanics that your muscle memory essentially takes over and you effortlessly breeze through things a novice would struggle with. And you do it with minimal effort and your mind can even wander off.

That's how it probably feels like when you're a jedi. You're both trained and have heightened awareness to the point where you can "flow" and block/avoid obstacles using minimal movements or seeing their patterns and just dodging and engaging in a clearly laid out pattern.

The choreographer couldn't be bothered working out a fight for a four armed combatant.

Not joking either.

I don't think you can compare playing a video game to what the Force is.

It was also applied wrongly in the prequels as a power in its own right.

Well yeah. It made you special. Just like having an actual drive, goal, sense of purpose, and the confidence to go ahead with that makes a person special.
Look, there are billions of people just kind of going through life. There are very few who actually have a vision or a purpose they would like to achieve and even FEWER that have that spark to actually do the work.

Remember, you see Star Wars in the OT through Luke's eyes. You are watching this young man go from someone with a vague idea of what he wants to do but plagued with self doubt and a total lack of focus and perhaps real directed drive to a young man who now has a real and defined purpose and role for himself, the focus and discipline to do what it takes to see it through, and most of all a confidence in his abilities to do so.
Likewise, the force powers grow with him.

Vader and Palpy already have this quality and as such they're on the top of the food chain so they already have this quality. Whatever it is they did to get there, they are somehow in charge and their Force is what keeps them there despite the legions and fleets of people who outnumber them in the thousands even on one ship.

There are so few space wizards in the OT because the story of the OT isn't the space wizards and their amazing powers.
The prequels, however? Totally about space wizards and their powers.

This is a style in the old eu. Jedi didn't use it cause it was deceptive and against their code

>Pay for chat

You're kidding me right?

>and most Sith that are still in hiding are still practicing the Rule of Two
By... not existing?

I don't think you understand the Rule of Two, it's not about multiple pairs of Sith fucking about, there's two Sith at any one time. That's it.

You need to pay a subscription (the 15 a month) just to talk in chat. If you don't, you have to wait like 20 minutes to send another message on general chat. It's a "cooldown" it's fucking retarded.

>that feel when dozens of jedi cant handle 2 guys

Is the game at least F2P or you also have to pay for a copy?

General chat as in the shitpost central global chat, or like, just saying things locally?

>Luke was trained in its use and refined but did he ever really use it in combat? Did Vader? Did the Emperor?
never saw any lightning or large objects being moved in the middle of fights so i guess not

This is what happens when you let videogames and bad tabletop RPGs expand your setting. Everything needs to be cool and fun to play.

it's free to play, but to experience anything actually fun (crafting, and the such) you have to pay the subscription, It's nothing like WoW where you're good to go for the first 20 levels. On TOR, you're allowed like 2 of the crafting or adventuring type extras, but you need like 3 or 4 of them to be able to do something legit for yourself. So it's like: You can make armor, OR you can make weapons OR you can take part in bounty hunting OR diplomacy, etc you can check it out on the wikia. It's pretty dumb, you can only have fun for like the first 15 levels.

As in anything. You can't have a meaningful conversation in the chat on TOR unless you're a subscription person. I haven't played since February, but I doubt it has changed since.

Vader threw something at Luke one time. That's about it.
Palpy used lightning in a sucker-punch.

Well yes. But this isn't entirely a bad thing if it can be reigned in.
If you're hell bent on making these "Force" users be the hubs of which the wheels of the galaxy turn then you have to make that same "Force", as a power, look like it can actually get shit done.

The problem is that it is so disjointed and fucked up by this point. There was no real coherence.
You go from the OT where these jedi knights and these dark side people (Sith was never used in the OT from what I remember) are practitioners of some ancient religion/mysticism that somehow gave them these magical powers that nobody by this time in the empire really fucking believe are real. Just myth and legend and it is genuinely surprising when someone uses that mystical shit.

And yet, in the prequel trilogy you have the jedi having a giant fucking temple, a giant fucking training operation, were SUPER FUCKING IMPORTANT in the "clone wars", were routinely ambassadors, and basically entangled with the government and a lot of people's normal lives. So active and so ubiquitous were these Jedi that Wato, a flying space-jew junk salesman on a desert planet shithole in the "outer rim" knew about those "jedi mind tricks".

And people are just supposed to forget alllllll about this shit in 20 or so years? Given Han's age, he was ALIVE for several years before Order 66 was given and during the clone wars to boot.

>IMO the best fight in the entire series was in phantom menace, qui-gon and obi wan vs darth maul.

You're not wrong, mate. Especially the final part where Obi-Wan gets motivated and pushes Maul's shit in.

>implying luke getting hit by shit fighting vader in the one movie wasnt a mind trick.

Only have a ds version

>Admiral Ackbar
>General Crix Madine
>General Veers
>Luke, Han, Chewie, and Leia
>Anakin
>Wedge Antilles

Old EU
>Delta Squad
>Delta Squad
>Delta Squad
>Delta Squad

>why doesnt the protagonist die due this or that realism?
because it's fucking fantasy, dumbass

>This is why I fucking hate star wars, jedis are not badass warriors because they're super strong, but because their enemies are complete idiots
>muh realism
kys

>Vader threw something at Luke one time. That's about it.

He force choked niggas to death from a completely different star system in Empire.

>to the point most jedi can only win if they use the force
Ancient order of masters devoted to using THE force that binds the universe win using said force, wow crazy fucking shit

>Why isn't there a single competent soldier in the SW universe?

They're all in Clone Wars cartoons.

>General chat as in the shitpost central global chat, or like, just saying things locally?
>As in anything.

That's not true, there's no cooldown in friend chat or party chat or anything but general chat.

I thought Haki worked like a Chi system like Naruto and Dragon Ball Z

Does this mean Luffy could be technically strongest character in OP at this point if he learned Haki correctly? Or this Oda's way of buffing non-Devil Fruit characters so they can compete with people who can create earthquakes and tidal waves with their mind.

At this point of the fight Grievous already had 2 hands cut off.

>wasn't in the films
>grevious outright states he was taught by count dooku

Try watching the film next time m8

Think of it as a strength multiplier.
It's kind of like your will made manifest and augmenting your raw power.

You can train it but in the end it comes down to how strong-willed you are.

And yes, it's a way of dealing with outrageously imbalanced characters so there's a way to hurt them.

In any case the similarity with the Force is in that it depends on willpower to work AND it's not innately available to just anyone but only ones that are "in tune" with it.

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

He was a bad ass. He used to be a complete and total bad ass.

He only had 2 of his hands in that picture. Bad bait.

It happens for 2 seconds. If you look away to grab some popcorn you miss it.

This makes the CGI clone wars show look like garbage (which it is).

The padawan that freaks out and gets stomped was named Sha-Gi because he looked and acted like Shaggy.

Don't forget Shaak Ti's second encounter with him.

youtube.com/watch?v=64-3talVkUA

She was such a qt in the 2D series. Shame about the rest.

>ties his cape to the train using the force

Fucking awesome.

The 4 arms they rhyme, like pottery.

>Look at this retarded shit. Grievous has 4 fucking arms, each one with a lightsaber, and he decides to clash 2 lightsabers against Obi-Wan
>Why isn't he using the other 2 to stab obi wan to death?
This shot takes place immediately after Obi-Wan has severed Grievous' other two arms.
Get good, shitlord.

IT WAS SO GOOD.
FUCK.

It's been 11 years since this movie came out and I just now noticed the end of this fight is a reference to The Phantom Menace.

Grievous was a shit character through and through.

Sounds like a hardcore method of shutting down spammer bots on the F2P model. I wouldn't assume it's merely to monetize chat; that so draconian it would surely drive away more people than it would convince.

Apparently Jedi have super reflexes, but the only way to reflect that with regular actors this to make everyone act like idiots.

Also I think Grievous was only born with two arms anyway so there's only so much you can do.