Why do they keep trying to make video game movies a thing?

Why do they keep trying to make video game movies a thing?

was it really that bad?

I can see where the studio thinks it will work. most of the story is in the source material, you just sculpt it into a movie. you would have a built-in fanbase, Ass Creed has sold like 30 million units across all of it's games.
I get why they keep thinking "this is the time where it works"

I counter that for a lot of older people, knowing it was based on a game is a turn-off, either they look down at video games as childish/pulp trash, or because a lot of them are bad.

I like the Resident Evil approach, spend a modest amount making an popcorn action flick that uses the source as a jumping-off point

Why does Fassbender keep on accepting roles for obviously shitty movies?

Because it's not that they're adapting video games that makes them bad. If you take AC, Doom, any of the Uwe Bole films, etc, and those were original properties, they'd still be fucking bad. People get caught up in adapting what they think needs to be adapted (Dooms fucking horrible first person shots) and changing everything they don't (the plot and setting and everything of Doom having nothing to do with the game.) Even those with mild success, like the Resident Evil franchise have pretty much nothing to do with the games beyond weird references.

It needs to be a movie first, with characters, a 3 act story, set ups and pay offs, conflict and resolution, and whatever it is adapting second. The problem is studio executives seem to go fucking crazy (Doom, Warcraft) or you have genuine idiots directing it (Super Mario Bros. Movie).

The Assasin's Creed movie isn't bad because it's a video game movie, it's bad for the same reasons shit like the Total Recall reboot or Clash of the Titans reboot are bad.

The most successful video game movie ever, both financially and critically is still Mortal Kombat. If the people making these movies and the people in charge could sit down and watch that movie and understand why it succeeded when it did (because now it's aged horribly) we'd probably get some better video game movies.

I guess if you're a fan of the games it wouldn't be as bad? Seems like a 2 hour long cash grab to me. Which makes it not making any money even funnier.

$$$

Postal is Kino, you pleb.

There is no money in indie shit. Acclaim, fame, chance to prove acting chops, young actresses and extras to bang, all there but when you want the money, you need to star in pandering shit.

Macbeth did not pay by itself.

>Because it's not that they're adapting video games that makes them bad. If you take AC, Doom, any of the Uwe Bole films, etc, and those were original properties, they'd still be fucking bad. People get caught up in adapting what they think needs to be adapted (Dooms fucking horrible first person shots) and changing everything they don't (the plot and setting and everything of Doom having nothing to do with the game.) Even those with mild success, like the Resident Evil franchise have pretty much nothing to do with the games beyond weird references.

Pretty much this. In all the years they still hadn't realized they need to adapt the setting and designs, not the game itself.

they need to realize that good movie reviews require bribes and vague threats like disney did for star wars.

>tfw an Oddworld movie will never be a thing because Lorne doesn't like to compromise.

the brits arent picky about roles, its a classic thing

>no Strangers Wrath western kino
I'm pulling the trigger

I'm more shocked that after 20 years of HBO/Netflix/AMC TV,

They have yet to adapt videogames into TV series.

Why movies still? Why not just sell VG properties to the guys who run Game of Thrones and House of Cards?

Hitman works based on the success of Hitman and Strike Back, and Westworld is the approach that the Assassin's Creed series should take outside gaming.

When will VG companies just ditch movies for TV shows instead?

Super Mario Bros. Movie is actually a decent movie you fucking cuck

>2 hour long cash grab

LITERALLY Rogue One, Disney's pumping out Star Wars shit every year

Yeah, Disney Wars is trash too, one cash grab doesn't take away from another. What does that have to do with >LITERALLY anything?

>I guess if you're a fan of the games it wouldn't be as bad

I've yet to see a cash grab where being a fan didn't make it infinitely worse due to you giving a shit about the franchise they're raping for shekels.

did it make a profit?

Mass Effect high budget TV show would be great.
Or knights of the old Republic.

Warcraft fans lost their shit for that trash. Though Warcraft fans are legitimately retarded in literally every case I've ever seen so you're probably right.

Hulu are developing a Myst TV series.

Doom's first person sequence was the only good thing about that shit show.