Curious why I've never really seen Townes Van Zandt on this forum. He's too cool to become a meme anyway right...

Curious why I've never really seen Townes Van Zandt on this forum. He's too cool to become a meme anyway right? Listen if you don't know who he is.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bqYHwZzE33U
youtube.com/watch?v=AzUcAkw7WLA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump because you people don't know anything about music

He's unironically the GOAT

Sup Forums hates country.

and if they don't they only listen to johnny cash or meme country albums by gg allin or ween.

he is one of my favorite artists but there are people on this board that think he is bob dylan for pseuds and contrarians. i guess they are comparable because they both have arms and play the guitar????

one of my all time favorites imo really disappointed he is rarely mentioned on this board

unfortunately this is true... but what else can you expect when this board is filled with people who only listen to whatever youtuber reviewer tells them to

It's a shame because he's really one of the most emotional songwriters out there. Hip hop gets a lot of attention which is okay but it's pretty redundant after a while. This guy was really himself, as are a very few artists who represent every genre

Country is the genre of the true patrician

>people on this board that think he is bob dylan for pseuds and contrarians.
yeah I've seen this before lol
I do prefer Dylan overall but Van Zandt is absolutely worth checking out if you like Dylan (although a lot of their work is pretty different)

My favorite song of his
youtube.com/watch?v=bqYHwZzE33U

I guess I'm the opposite. I love Dylan but to me Van Zandt is the realist deal out there in folk

Dylan and Van Zandt both liked eachother's music. I think even Dylan considered him to be one of his favorite songwriters. Dylan even tried to arrange a meeting between the two but Van Zandt was too nervous to go through with it. Early on Van Zandt played folk music too, and even for country he definitely has a major folk influence.

As song writers:
Van Zandt = Cohen > Dylan
As musicians:
Van Zandt = Dylan > Cohen
As innovators
Dylan > Cohen > Van Zandt.

yeah, i know. i just got triggered by the people constantly parroting that he is inferior to dylan

There were these two drunks having this argument outside a bar. They’re arguing as to whether that object up in the sky was the sun or the moon. This other drunk stumbles out of the bar and one of ‘em walks over and says, ‘Buddy will you help us out? We are having an argument and we can’t decide who is right… Is that the sun or the moon?’ The man replies, ‘aw I don’t know man, I ain’t from this neighborhood.’”

Fucking amazing song

It's pretty irrelevant. There is truth to your statement though

i know they aren't too similar, but i've never seen will oldham discussed either. i think Sup Forums just has a thing against country

He's the goat for being the og anti-chink

youtube.com/watch?v=AzUcAkw7WLA

People on Sup Forums also got triggered when I told them Dylan made country records. Because they're programmed to dislike country. They're also posers who probably have explored maybe two of Dylan's records in total.

I agree, They're all fucking incredible, but working that out helped me figure where i think townes excels compares to the others, whom I all love.

Honestly I still think Van Zandt is the best songwriter of the bunch. He's just too sincere, and not jaded. Open heart

One of the best lyricists ever. Ridiculously charismatic.

Yeah I love on his live albums where he's basically testing out some goofy standup routine before each song.

I think Sup Forums is mostly just followers like everybody else in the world. Nobody is really special, so everybody should drop the facade. Nobody to blame, it takes me a long time to find the artists I truly admire. When you hear it, you hear it. Most artists are riding the waves of what came before them without adding anything new, or otherwise making proper use to fully disclose and communicate an emotional experience

You'd think will oldham would be more discussed too because he veers more into folk territory, is modern, pitchfork approved, and is very depressing at times (which Sup Forums loves).

His Merle Haggard cover album last year was solid.

Live at the Old Quarter is pretty awesome.

Fuck yeah its amazing

If you like Towns Van Zandt you should check out John Prine. He's another country/folk great.

Should add Silver Jews, Smog/Bill Callahan to the list.

>IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'M SO SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
>AND THE SADNESS GOES ON
>I'M DRINKIN MY BOTTLE OF SAAAAAAAAADNNESSSSSSSSS
>falls over

He's brought up in every single relevant conversation.

Where should I start with John Prine, handsome?

He sure never fails to bring the feels, there's a few songs of his I skip half the time just because they hit too close to home.

Any Hoyt Aston fans around? He's a favorite of mine as well, and there's more than a few similarities between the two. Check him out if you aren't familiar.

Never heard of Hoyt Aston pardner, what's a good in?

I'm gonna sound lame right now but I just love coincidences. I was about to post lyrics from "Waitin Round to Die" in the sad lyrics thread and then my eyes glazed over and saw this.

Thank you for posting about Townes!

I goof'd that should have said Hoyt Axton. Anyway he's had quite a few famous songs, trouble being that they only got that way after being covered by more popular bands. Joy to the World, The Pusher, Never Been to Slain, and The No-No Song come to mind. As for his recordings It's hard to miss but check out the albums Snowblind Friend, Fearless, and Southbound they're all great, but his early stuff is great too and preferred by some people. Really just throw a dart at his discography and it won't be bad. This post was a rather rushed job as I'm having to close one eye to type drunk so apologies for it's quality.

Alright i'll name three albums from his esrly days off the top of my head to be fair then I'm out.
Greenback Dollar
Thunder'n'Lightning
My Griffon is Gone

country for dumb yuppies who would've absolutely hated townes if they met him

Thank you my alcoholic friend, your heart is in the right place.