Why are most millenials so adverse to watching old movies?

Why are most millenials so adverse to watching old movies?

If it doesn't have le reddit quips or whatever meme celeb is popular, they won't watch it

>movies from 1999 are old now

That's not even a movie lmao

Someone born in 2000 isn't a millennial.

Also I'm a millennial and I love a lot of old movies. Old as in silent era.

>16yo
>allowed to write on the interwebs

movies are a waste of time shithead.

They want to believe that broadband internet inaugerated a new stage in human evolution, and that the works of the past would have nothing to say to them.

>16yo
>millennial

I don't know

There's people on this board who would be less likely to watch movies from even the 60s/70s.
I guess its like the le wrong generation meme where they think there's been some huge advancement in music/film that peaked when they were like 16

Protip: the new cut off for Gen Y was 1997; people born 1998 to 2008 are milennials

idiot

>98-08
You realize millenials are like 88~90 or to 99~02 or so. It varies based on who you talk to.

Of course 'generations' are bullshit anyway.

>born in the millennial years
>not a millennial

Remember when bestiality-advocates established that people who enjoy old movies are only pretending?

The cut off year of Gen Y is 1995 sorry to break it to you

Criteria for not being a millennial:
>not a faggot
>knows what slow computers/internet was like
>knows what NO internet was like
>his first console was made before 1995
>his first MMO wasn't WoW
>his first anime wasn't Naruto or any gay shit like that
>didn't have a cell phone in his childhood
>first cell phone was a nokia brick phone
>first car was a piece of shit clunker

When did the whole grouping people in generations shit start. It's pretty stupid that doesn't offer anything of importance. "Oh this generation is bad because X, or that this generation is bad because Y". It's a pretty shallow and ignorant way of battling issues

Fuck I hate 9gag.

Jesus fuck should have voted for Hillary to draft these people into a world war

Millennial cutoff year is like 1995 (starts in like 1985). The name is misleading and it's a stupid categorization anyway but you can't just ignore the actual definition and give it one yourself.

>failing your own criteria on step one
Great job faggot

you now realize you've been using the term wrong all this time. you were referring to yourself... poor sap

This movie isn't even good. It's tear's bait trash

>old movies are only good for their influences on modern movies
>modern movies are objectively good and aren't just good because of the way they'll influence future cinema

I hate how overhyped it is. Complete trash, would be way better if they Robbins character had actually committed some serious crimes, but they take a safe emotional cop out.
That and Good Will Hunting are pretty standard pleb spotters though

>Robbins
OPs image is The Green Mile, not The Shawshank Redemption

> Talking with younger cousin and his friends
> They start talking about how cultured they are and how they love old movies
> I go yea silent movies were pretty neat and some of what they could do with black and white movies was pretty great
> "No user that's too old we're talking about old movies like Toy Story"
I wanted to die.

>I take an objective look at movies
>So I judge older movies by today's technological standards instead of the time they were made.
How fucking stupid.
Apocalypse now is a 10/10 movie too. It is perfect on so many levels.

I'm 26 and consider myself Generarion Y. My brother is 13 and I consider him to be part of the social media generation.

There is a clear difference between those who grew up without social media/smartphones and those that didn't but still grew up with the internet.

>That awkward moment when you realize millennial is a meme joke
How embarrassing for you

He's partly right in that many artfags just name-drop movies and call them favorites despite only seing them once or twice. I think for a movie to be your favorite you have to be able to watch it multiple times a year, even a couple times in a row, without getting tired of it. I can watch Alien/Aliens multiple times a year and still find enjoyment from watching them, same with Metropolis and many others. Fuck 2001 though, it's basically Avatar from the 60s (and the book is better).

Nice trips. I'm liberal but I have fascist tendencies and wholly approve of mandatory military terms.

KEK butthurt teen. Can't wait a year so I can have a reason to hang near high schools again and try to bang 17-18 year olds to piss off teens like you. (My brother's going to HS next year)

>"I'm so sad Robin Williams died!"
>refuses to watch any of the movies from his prime because "too old"

>World's greatest dad
>Old

Well hold on guys, there is that one good scene.

Remember where the hick rapist puts a moon pie in his mouth and spews it all over the prison guard? The timing and editing of that was great.

I've heard from people older than me (!!!) that they can't watch older movie because they are "too slow"

I can unironically watch these movies on loop

Most of those aren't artshit though. And fuck yeah, Barton Fink. "The writer is king in hollywood", then proceeds to fuck him over.

The Green Mile counts as an old movie now?

It's not even 20 years old.

I've seen Citizen Kane 4 times.

why not google what it actually fucking means

if you're 30 grats you're a millenial

>adverse
It's "averse" you dipshit millenial-hating millenial

>he thinks that kids under 16 years olds were the only people crying that trump was going to win the election when they couldn't even vote or drive a car

Citizen Kane isn't namedropping though. It's like saying you like Billie Jean, no one will think you're the shit for liking a classic. I mean movies like those yuropoors make, where it's random scenes with no real semblance of a plot and the protagonist just walks around looking moody and angsty, staring off into the distance as he smokes a cigarette. And long static shot up the ass. Goddam I hate artfag shit. At least give us a story, not pretty pictures. This is also why I hate 2001, it's slow as fuck and gives a middle finger to the book's good scifi plot.

Mentally, yes, they are all 16 year olds.

16 and younger isn't a millenial. That's the next generation, Z or whatever it is.

And a lot of teenagers of each generation ignore older movies, unless it's something they were raised on, like The Wizard of Oz. Teens are plebs usually.

>he thinks he's an intellectual

>he prays to kek
>GOD EMPEROR
>KEK
>JUST

>your favorite you have to be able to watch it multiple times a year

Glad you found another way to distinguish yourself from other people. I bet if people started doing that you'd find another criteria to set yourself apart again

>>he prays to kek

>worshipping false idols

Could you be anymore pedestrian?

>la Porte du Paradis

My sides.

i remember saving this list to go through it a while ago. you've changed it since then?

I remake the list every year

MiIlenial refers to the age group that became adults in the new millennium, I think.

>watch straw dogs on a loop

Quick way to turn yourself into a woman-hating MGTOW.

I've always wanted to ask why Bad Lieutenant is on there. That was a terrible film

What? This is how normal people define their favorite movies, how can you think otherwise? You don't just watch a movie one time (or twice a decade) and declare it your favorite of all time. That's either autism or just namedropping.

>see a movie
>it becomes your fav movie

that's it

>This is how normal people define their favorite movies
That's how YOU define YOUR favorite movies

I fucking love that movie

You people serious? I feel like I'm being trolled here. I have always seen movies multiple times in a row cause I couldn't get enough of them, when I liked them enough. Movies I didn't really care for I never see again (usually). It's like your favorite food, you don't just have that once in your lifetime and be like "yep, that was so good I'm never gonna need anymore of that ever again, once is enough for me".

>"yep, that was so good I'm never gonna need anymore of that ever again, once is enough for me

Never said anything to imply this. I'm saying a movie can be your favourite after your first time seeing it. You've set up a criteria for other people in your mind so they can't truly mean it's their favs when it's the first time they saw it. whats the point

Never implied nor stated such a thing. I said that your favorite movie should be able to be watched multiple times a year without getting bored/tired of it. If you see a movie once in your lifetime then it can't really be your favorite movie can it.

I have the answer (born in '81).

In the old days, you would have to FIND things to watch. You would look for old movies on some obscure cable station late at night. You would go through your parents old VHS tapes. You would trek down to Blockbuster, rent something you hadn't seen, and just cross your fingers that you would like it. You literally had to jump into other ponds to find something. Mostly it sucked, but you would find great stuff as well.

Kids today don't have to do that. If they like one kind of movie, Netflix will just keep giving them similar movies to watch. There's really no need to explore anymore.

is this dude accusing me of only pretending to like Yojimbo

wat

Why should I watch old movies anyway? Name a single reason, I dare you. Every great story is already told in modern movies, which also happens to have better directing, photography and acting, if some film was SOOOOOO good they would already working on a remake, that's a fact.
These old movies are boring, with PS2 special effects, with boring score and boring story.
I'm not completely oblivious to old stuff, I like classic rock like Green Day and Linkin Park but movies are a different thing.
You don't eat expired yogurt so you shouldn't watch movies from before the year you were born.
New Transformers movies are better than the old crappy ones.

I know if a movie is going to be a favorite of mine after I see it because it sticks in my mind. I don't go see a Marvel movie and consider it a favorite because I stop thinking about it in 2 days. The reason why Apocalypse Now or Taxi Driver are in my favorites is because I think about them frequently despite having only seen them a couple times.

It is naive to think that everyone's idea of a favorite movie will fall under your same criteria. Its like eating a favorite food really often. Sure, I can eat lasagna multiple times a month but I'd get bored of it. I really like my favorites so much that I'd hate to get tired of them.

I know it is bait but I want you to name a movie made in the last 10 years with a similar story to 12 Angry Men but was better

Define old.

I've recently went through like a dozen of old and not so old westerns(40's to 60's) and I think I can tell you why. I'm also 1994 so kinda millennial.

Pick John Wayne movies, they are always the same, they have the same convention with mandatory "high points"(like bar fight) etc. This was something that was in commercial high-demand back then(as in average joe bought ticket to see those) and WERE criticised for it. Just like 80's action movies were criticised for cheesiness and modern AAA movies will be criticised for being full blown shit with product placement everywhere. But back to the westerns, shall we? Now if you watch John Wayne and then move to some Spaghetti western, you instantly notice the shift in convention. There are still well known staples everywhere(mysterious silent gunslingers roaming the world looking for revenge are practically universal for the genre) but then you have many things that "old school" westerns were criticised for(being very "clean" as opposed to relative grittiness of their Italian counterparts) and spaghetti westerns kinda fixed those.

Over the 120 or so years of cinema, a lot of such "fixes" have happened. For example one thing I've noticed when watching those movies is that entire intrigue and motives of each character are hidden sometimes until the very end(Once Upon a Time in the West). Meanwhile in modern cinema everything is kind of laid down in advance and you just see the plot progressing(we're talking westerns - Django Unchained) maybe with "surprising" turn of events once in a while. As a result you get completely different pacing, narration method and plot structure. If you don't realise this, and get to watch a movie from different era, you are kind of alienated by those differences and it's easy to draw easy conclusion - "It's different than what I'm used to, so it's shit".

I honestly can't remember the last truly good movie I saw.
It gets even harder once you keep it to stuff made in the last couple of years.

Millennials can fall into all of those categories. If you're born 1981-1995 you are considered by most demographers to be a millennial

>inb4 Gen Y

Gen Y and millennial are the same fucking thing

am i the only one who didn't find this movie sad

the magical negro felt so shoehorned

hi redet

DAE HATE LE MILLENIALS XD

even though everyone on this site is one

>The Green Mile is 27 years old

>Define old
pre-70's

Joke's on you kiddo, I'm retired.

2001 and Avatar are nothing alike. And I can watch 2001 over and over again. I love it. The book does do some things better than the movie but both were designed to take advantage of their medium. I prefer the movie but the book is also good.

The plot is the same. Just the book elaborates more because it has more room to. The movie is already 2.5 hours long. Adding more stuff to it would bloat it.

You can consider yourself whatever you want, but you're using the term wrong if you think that you're not a millennial. You can't just redefine terms to fit your own agenda.

Millenials are Gen Y. Most people are using the term wrong.

No idea what you're talking about, most hipsters think anything post 2000 is garbage.

> I'm liberal but I have fascist tendencies and wholly approve of mandatory military terms.
So you're retarded.

btfo

>people dont know what a millenial is
The specific years are rough but its basically
>baby boomers - 1946-1964
>gen x - 1965-82
>gen y/"millenial" - 1983-2000
Basically you have to have been under the age of 18 by the 21st century to be gen Y.

Gen Y is up to 1990, some say 95, it's a different generation than Millenials. Some grew up for a while with no internet, most with no cellphone, as opposed to later generations. Millenials are Gen A and turning 18/20 right now at most. They're the teens on Teens React, and arguably Kids React too. Gen Y are turning 30, like the Amazing Atheist, and are now a minority on Sup Forums.

>pretending to be cinephiles
>Kurosawa and Bergman and Welles doesn't hold up
It's hard to understand how anyone can be so fucking retarded. He watches movies all the time but he literally only watches modern blockbusters.

right, yeah, I screwed up. refer to my 3rd sentence.

>Generation Z (also known as Post-Millennials, the iGeneration, Founders, Plurals, or the Homeland Generation) is the demographic cohort after the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when the Gen Z cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years that range from the mid-1990s to early-2000s, and as yet there is little consensus about ending birth years.

>A significant aspect of this generation is the widespread usage of the Internet from a young age. Members of Generation Z are typically thought of as being comfortable with technology, and interacting on social media websites for a significant portion of their socializing. Some commentators have suggested that growing up through the Great Recession has given the cohort a feeling of unsettlement and insecurity.
Gen Z are turning 16ish at the moment.
Tail end of gen Y are turning 18.
I never got the amount of bitching about millennials on Sup Forums when nearly everyone IS a millennial.

Also, I'm 24, a millenial/gen y
As someone who isn't 18 or 30, what do you classify me as?

kek why'd someone post this it's mostly new movies and almost all well known at that, this guy took a lot of time making his shit list so fancy.

forget it, I'm tired and got confused

>I never got the amount of bitching about millennials on Sup Forums when nearly everyone IS a millennial.

It's a desperate need to be contrarian.

You do realize that it's possible to dislike a group you belong to, right?

It's a buzzword

But its the same as the "le wrong generation" meme
Its reddit as fuck

dogfucker has already said he cant watch "old" movies because they dont hold up

anyone born after 1995 isn't a millennial

that kid isn't a mellinnial

learn what buzzwords mean before using them you faggot nigger

This. Sick of this shit.

Normal person: "I enjoy watching old movies."
Aspie Patrician: "Yea silent movies were pretty neat and some of what they could do with black and white movies was pretty great."