Is there any game closer to true kino than hotline Miami 2?

Is there any game closer to true kino than hotline Miami 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RY66fdMt4vc
youtube.com/watch?v=DpRUKLKCY-w
youtube.com/watch?v=K-8zQVbeEvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dude...like, shut up

1>2, contrarians can eat shit and fuck off.

Sorry dude but 2 is better than 1 in every way except variety of masks

Level design alone makes you wrong.

Dude let's make the levels where enemies you can't see shoot you off screen LMAO

git gud

Larger levels =\= bad levels, and enemies with guns + huge lines of sight are mostly in hard mode which is to make it hard

We get it, videogames are boring and empty, so don't bring this shit here

1. i love 2 and its probably better in terms of gameplay but 1 is far more kino. 2 is overplotted.

desu 1st one's story is kino but not 2

unreliable narrator y'all. Remember Jacket

I think the storytelling method of both are awesome. 2 deals with 7 perspectives before and after HM1 that all indirectly coalesce into the climactic events in the 3rd chapter

>indirectly coalesce
Your kino card has been revoked.

A stay Sup Forumsermin. Get the fuck out manchild.

>BLOV enemies in every map
>Enemies turn around in FTL reaction times
>Most masks are gimmicks, some of them do not even work as intended
It's shit and goes against everything that made HM great.

Hlm has amazing storytelling. If there is any game that is kino its hotline miami

2 is kinda shit,only improvement over the first game is that its harder

Not him nor have I ever played the game, but I was told that the criticism of the game was:

>longer and more open levels change the game from a mindless bash-your-head-against-the-wall-until-something-sticks to AI manipulating and being cautious, which is stressful and simply less fun
>weapon pickup priority being shite/ nonexistent

I feel like 2 was just the devs saying "lol let's take everything that was perfectly tuned in the first game and turn it to 11 way past where it should be!!"
one unreliable narrator? nah let's have 7
trial-and-error gameplay? nah let's make players restart levels so many times it's just annoying
plus ditching the mask mechanic, which was one of the best parts of the game

>plus ditching the mask mechanic, which was one of the best parts of the game

wow did this happen, that's pretty sad. It's pretty much kissing any fanart goodbye

Not true m8

Only true video game kino coming through
plebs need not respond

Well if that's supposed to prove me wrong, desu it's just grasping at the concept of the masks anyway, even if they're not present anymore...

The characters still wear masks, but you don't get to choose the mask and special ability at the start of each level. It's chosen for you

>its a vietnam flashback episode
>it aint me starts playing

Aye, that's not bad at all desu. Saying "ditching the mask mechanic" seems kind of unfair, then. You still go beastmode with a beastmode face, so i have no problem with this.

besides, i'm sure only a specific few masks would be optimal for certain places if we're talking only numbers

Well if you haven't played the game then you don't know what that image is but it's from one of the levels

The point is that even without the masks there's still a ton of cool art/fan art from it

It definitely limits the replay value, not being able to go back and try different masks/techniques

2 is very good, better gameplay and graphics sorry

mask are unique to hl1 so it's worth revisiting

My ultimate goal would be too make Hotline Miami into a tv series on HBO. IMO the only people who like 1 better than 2 are people who didn't understand 2. It's really well done, and the ending is truly goat. Great nihilistic vibes. 1 still is phenomenal, and sets up all of 2s themes

This. I love the story in 2 soo much more than 1. Also when I tried playing 1 again after 2, the gameplay felt so much more clunkier

2 had the better soundtrack

This
first time I played 2 and it ended I had no idea what the fuck the game was about. Once you pay closer attention to the dates and what characters are talking about then it becomes a lot more clear and the genius of their storytelling method is apparent

Hotline Miami by far

2 had way too many parts where you win by shooting enemies off-screen.

Objectively correct

That's a reasonable gameplay complaint but the story of HM2 is still far better than 1

Hey nice taste user. Well paced, tasteful violence a la John Wick would look amazing on the screen. Story points such as The Henchmans death and the Fans would be rockin as well, as would the Sons downfall. Of course, based Pardo would kill it as well

Who gives a shit about the soundtrack. It works in context but on its own I couldn't give two fucks
This 80's revival synthwave garbage is the most nauseating trend in music I swear to god. Nothing of value has come from it and it all sounds the goddamn same. Only vaporwave is worse and that's sort of an extension of this

1's levels were thrilling, 2's levels were a pain in the ass. I wanted to like the second one so much but I gave up. It wasn't fun, just stressing.

And the story is shit and all over the place. The first one may be simple, but at least it made some sense.

I agree with you, but I truly believe HM was the only thing to ever get it right

see
Maybe you just didn't understand 2, it was a tad cluttered, but if you pay attention to the dates on screen it all makes sense. It doesn't rely on tricking you in regards to time periods for a twist, a la Westworld. If incorporated properly on screen, it would be amazing

>synthwave is garbage

It must be depressing having this much shit taste

Thats about right. The first one you could form a basic plan and storm in swinging like a crazy motherfucker, and just roll with whatever happened, and it was fun. In the second, you get sniped from offscreen for the slightest misstep.

Honestly I really dug the soundtrack in context, I didn't think it was really all that great on its own but in the game it matched the visuals and energy perfectly.

Then everyone started frothing at the mouth over how good and retro it was and they pressed on vinyl for fifty goddamn American dollars and the second one comes out and they do the same shit and the endless circlejerk over mediocre throwback tunes became so goddamn nauseating I couldn't stand it

>he doesn't appreciate com truise

what a fucking pleb you are

I just wanted to play a game about a dude killing gangsters in a bloody way with 80's aesthetics, good music and a decent plot, not having to take notes of every goddamn dialogue, allegory and date to understand what the fuck it's going on.

>indie shit

>tfw finally understanding why the subtitle is Wrong Number

The music in the Assault level made it memorable, for example. It fits perfectly.

>not having to take notes of every goddamn dialogue

come on guy you might be a tad stupid. I didn't pay attention of first playthrough, but on the second one on hard (which was actually easier because by that point I mastered the gameplay, and funnier for the added enemies) you automatically pay attention to the easy to notice details more and it is very easy to follow. Very easy and straightforward

>with 80's aesthetics

Then why not play actual video games from the 80s?

I think the problem with adapting HM to the t.v would be the fact that 1 is pretty repetitive and 2 has a bit more characters than necessary. In 1, the first 9 or so episodes would be "Guy keeps getting letters to go kill and remembering vague things until he learns everything at once at the end". in 2, all the characters are great, but some like Jake add little to the plot, but a lot to the overall theme. Maybe take a mini season for HM1 and two seasons for HM2

>longer and more open levels change the game from a mindless bash-your-head-against-the-wall-until-something-sticks to AI manipulating and being cautious

on hard there were maybe one or two sections were I played cautiously, the rest was unstoppable carnage

>AAA shit

It's music for people who are too lazy/ignorant to seek out the music that actually inspired and informed the setting of games like Hotline Miami - music which in its own time actually was interesting and relevant - but still want to enjoy the ~~aesthetic~~ of shitty pop songs made with outdated synths and decades-old drum hits

It's like chiptune music except thankfully a small step above that hell

Com Truise is great. So is Memory Tapes.
But chillwave =/= synthwave and being inspired by 80s synth pop =/= copying it under the guise of nostalgia

As far as the story goes HM1 is wayy better.
No hand holding or muh satire

In Norse mythology, Gullinkambi is a rooster who lives in Valhalla. In the Poetic Edda poem Völuspá, Gullinkambi is one of the three roosters whose crowing is foretold to signify the beginning of the events of Ragnarök.

not as smooth gamplay in the 80s

Also, you'd have to find a way to incorportate the Biker levels into the series

>It's music for people who are too lazy/ignorant to seek out the music that actually inspired and informed the setting of games like Hotline Miami - music which in its own time actually was interesting and relevant
>"i've only listened to the myriad clones and hype bandwagoners that cropped up since it got popular"

Literally best level of HM1

hm2 is good, but can't exist without 1

>this thread is still up
>people have the gall to claim Sup Forums is the problem
Classic

Oh shit it just hit me, I thought all this time it was because of the meme title screen after you finish it.

Post favorite tracks

Pinnacle of the genre IMO

youtube.com/watch?v=RY66fdMt4vc

>Thread went from Sup Forums to Sup Forums to Sup Forums

The first game is kino though, if this was some faggot making a Spec Ops thread that would be another story

>handholding in hm2
The first time I beat the game I was legit disappointed because fucking none of it made sense to me
Like 3 years later now, I've pieced it all together and it blows me away

you'd just have biker episodes sprinkled across the series.

>video game gets mentioned
>people discuss it's cinematic qualities or how it could be transfered into the big screen

>contemporary social justice issue gets posted
>thread disolves into shit-flinging

Go back to your anti art board

Yeah, but before or after Neighbors? And would the revelation be before or after le ebin fight against the Father?

Close, but sexualiser is what you really mean by the true apex of all Neo-80's music

Who were the worst characters and why is it the fans?

Shit, meant to reply to

not much of a video game guy but the first one was lightyears better than the second IMO

2 is bigger and better.

after, since everything about the ending was a fucking fever dream jacket had after he got shot to pieces by richter.

I could just imagine having an entire episode dedicated to The Henchman, and it ending with the van rolling up and sexualizer kicking in, before the credits.
The Fans were at least important thematically

First one was T H I C C, second one was obese.

WHAT DID PARDO WANT TO SEE THE SON FOR

I think I've figured out everything in this game except for that

We can assume he's lost his cool at this point (being post-demolition) but why go see the Russians???

It doesn't matter who the fuck I'm listening to if the inherent traits of synthwave are bullshit. It's by definition a genre based on nostalgia and derivative arrangements. Your hilarious meme image doesn't change that.

Like this
Sounds just like Enjoy The Silence with some weak ""cyberpunk"" visual style. I'm not trying to stop you from having fun with it but come on

Basically everybody but Jacket, Beard and the henchman are assholes

>ending was a fever dream
Then who killed the father????

But everything BEFORE he's shot by Richter is the fever dream

Hotline 1 is more comfy than 2 yes
BUT hotline 2 expanded on every level.
If it didn't it wouldn't bring anything to the table.
I bet i could complete 1 in less time than anyone here (60 hours playtime) but 2 remains a challenge at points.
It's a testament to the designer desu desu

I never really got that much into the first one desu even though i finished.
When HM2 came out I decided to smoke up and play both back to back on launch day.
Really wasn't expecting it to leave the impression it did, but i've put 70 hours into that game since, 100%'d it and played it several times.
The music, combined with the visuals and storyline are outstanding for a game of its genre.

underrated post

youtube.com/watch?v=DpRUKLKCY-w
This sets the tone of the game perfectly and always gives me feels when I listen to it.
Shout out to both the Carpenter Brut tracks, especially Roller Mobster.
It's a shame it had to loop with the full intro during the very long level which ruined it a little though.
Worked perfectly with the level though, you felt completely invincible which culminated perfectly with everyone getting killed at the end of the level.
Le Perv was the perfect soundtrack to Richter's final level as well, the way it builds up is amazing.

>tfw I still don't

Tony is goat, kys.

I didnt play 2, just watched Sips play it when it came out

Dont remember much about it someone want to give me the tl/dr breakdown of the story?

It would be one thing for me to go

>let's players

But an entirely other thing for me to go

>Yogscast

You kinda gotta justify that shit, man.

Its fucking Sips

His HM1 playthrough is hilarious and was the reason I even knew about the game

youtube.com/watch?v=K-8zQVbeEvg

Alan Wake

time skips from multiple POVs that end in a nuclear holocaust

Lmao this must be bait. There is ZERO strategy to firing off into the distance (which you must do in these impossibly huge levels). Hard mode does not change the level size so...?

I don't understand if HM2 was prior to HM then how did the Nuke happen