Why do lots of American find British accents difficult in music?

I've spoke to a few Americans and lots say they find British accents a turn off in music, is this common in the US or just among those who don't listen too allot music?

Pic unrelated just Helena Carter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jrg1UAixGaM
youtube.com/watch?v=Y22ukzbVXms
youtube.com/watch?v=SgCcvGFEBFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fBdpreJiU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not directly an answer, but related: many british singers lose their accent when they sing since there is a generally accepted 'vowel shape' used in singing. Those who retain their accent either lack training/understanding, or it's a deliberate style choice.

listen to The 1975's debut album
you can hardly make out his words

pretty sure their label asked him to clean things up a bit for their next release

I don't know, i always gathered it was to attain a wider audience and just a reaction to more American music being in the British media. Since from what i've noticed is that British accents in music were fairly normal up until the 2000s maybe and pretty much are gone in British media in terms of singing. I don''t think it's purely a stylistic choice to sing in your standard accent.

I was just in that one "listen below" thread and that guy was saying he didn't like British rappers and that's the only thing I can agree with. It doesn't sound right like even if they have an accent that distinguishes them as being from a poorer area, it's just too distracting to me. I'm fine with British singers tho so I wonder if it's like I have trouble with British rappers because I think of hip hop as a heavily American genre

Are you talking about singing in a certain genre or specifically the "correct way" in terms of singing generally?

In general

I disagree, I mean I only only pick out examples to refute, but The Who comes to mind. Queen. People with training in music. But yeah, I'm sure that it does help with marketing, but I think thats a symptom and not the cause.

OP here, sorry for my illiteracy in the post. I don't know why i did that.

I can see that, but as the same time would you rather they put on an American accent? it'd just come across as fake and poseurish. Like Iggy Azalea or something.

This sounds pretty good and he sings in his British accent.

youtube.com/watch?v=jrg1UAixGaM

I don't know much about British hip-hop, but rapping with a British accent can sound pleasant to me. Charli XCX as example comes to mind with her True Romance album. Not hip-hop, but she does rap on some songs.

NOW what would sound weird is rapping with something like my white midwestern-USA accent. That just doesn't sound right. Maybe it's just my familiarity with it (as Ebonics and British accents are somewhat """foreign""").

Maybe if you guys didn't say Gare-Edge instead of Garage we wouldn't have this problem

Just the way it, lots of us do pronounce it garage now because American language has taken over the UK media.

What about Americans that sing in British accents like the guy from the Killers and Jay Reatard.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y22ukzbVXms

They came back in the 1990s. Early doors its one of the things Britpop was 'about', singing in your own voice (this rapidly turned into the 'mockney' caricature) about stuff that was vaguely familiar to you.

I love Damon Albarns vocals

youtube.com/watch?v=SgCcvGFEBFk

Pretty sure it was just Damon Albarn doing the "Mockney" thing and it was only really on the song Parklife. On 95% of blurs catalogue it's his normal voice.

Depends what you're talking about. Most Grime artists sing in a Jamaican-diaspora accent (even Stormzy who isn't) and would tell you that the music is at least as linked to the Soundsystem culture as it is to anything American.
Pretty sure it was everyone, I was around at the time. It was widespread through a culture madferit and largein it at every possible opportunity (great fun of course). All the second-tier acts were doing it as well (Elastica, Menswear et al).

>like the guy from the Killers

What. I can't picture any Killers song sounding british at all

On the whole first album he sounds British, pretty sure he's even said he sung in a British accent.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fBdpreJiU

>listen to the 1975's debut album

No thanks

I don't

How old are you mate? you must atleast be in your early 40s or very late 30s to have actually experienced it.

this

I'm old enough to have seen Nirvana at Reading and Oasis at Knebworth put it that way.
What I'm doing here is obviously the harder thing to explain.

I'm getting mid thirties to mid 40s, nothing wrong with being on an anime based image board btw.

Nobody likes it because it's fraudulent. Accents are not heard through singing unless you make it thus (unnaturally). This is a principled fact. Your question has been answered /thread.

Literally how? You really thin everyone should sound the same when singing? accent wise of course. You think Bruce Springsteen, Mark Kozelek or Phil Elverum are being fraudulent when they sing?

And there it is. The dumbest post of the day.

>he doesn't throw a california infused country twang accent in his singing voice
never gonna make it

>Actually thinking this

>lots of americans
>i've spoken to a few

Why are you shilling this so hard?

I mean i've seen online aswell as those i've spoken too.

Their minds are not opened. If you cannot appreciate any accent in any situation you are pretty much the problem with society.