Patrician hair metal ?

Patrician hair metal ?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=Glam Metal&include_child_genres=t&include=both&limit=none&countries=
youtube.com/watch?v=yUxXO3eSHa0
youtu.be/AZRyhOVEla8
youtube.com/watch?v=noLPhZvcBpw
youtu.be/-Fl7yNIPlGM
youtu.be/u2CsUYAP6AU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP, if you wanted to counter this guy's post, at least acknowledge it.

Only Motley Crue's first two albums are patrician. Everything following was a cash grab.

a list of every patrician hair metal band:

Early Motley Crue
Early Ratt
WASP
Early Twisted Sister

Do Van Halen count? Crue is good but most hair metal truly is garbage.

winger, europe, vinnie vincent invasion, ratt, dokken, def leppard, cinderella, skidrow, warrant, WASP, stryper, faster pussycat, great white, white lion, kix, danger danger, firehouse, britny fox, slaughter, night ranger, pantera, dangerous toys, extreme, mr.big, black n blue, tigertailz, twisted sister, steelheart and more

I think they do. Same with Guns n Roses

Van Halen came out in the late 70s when all the hair metal guys were still in the 8th grade.

Def Leppard went to shit right after they stopped being a NWOBHM band.

This is a good review that actually bothers explaining the problem with the album as opposed to the red-faced rant that Christgau wrote about SATD.

If you were an 11 year old girl in the 80s, those bands were ok.

they were great during all the 80s
t. nu-male

Yeah I was a teen in that time and this was your sister's music. Guys didn't listen to those bands.

Pyromania was their last good album, and even that wasnt nearly as good as High N Dry or On Through The Night.

Hysteria has 1 or 2 ok songs, but is otherwise trash.

On Through The Night is pretty meh, sounds like a generic NWOBHM album
High N Dry was their best and pyromania was also great

Van Halens biggest record was in 84 you tit

No, it was their debut. It went diamond you retard.

Patrician Glam/Hair Metal begins and ends with STEEL PANTHER!

(Although Poison had a few good songs, too)

"The record industry has always worked the same way. If one's good, a hundred's better. So you had the W bands: the Wingers, the Warrants, the White Lions, the Whitesnakes. And it became so...processed and so...refined that it became pablum. And then it got even better because now all the metal bands start doing acoustic sets. Thanks a lot, Tesla. MTV had an unwritten rule that if you didn't do an unplugged set, you weren't a serious artist. Yeah, that's real extreme. I'd like to see Tracey Chapman or Paul Simon plug into two stacks of Marshall amps and...ride the lightning."

I believe 1984 sold more, although not a ton more. However it had their biggest hits and MTV videos. In either instance, Van Halen is usually lumped in with the 80s hair metal acts regardless of when they cut their teeth. They sort of invented hair metal in a way.

Both awful

What do you expect?
It's a Patrician Hair Metal thread!

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=Glam Metal&include_child_genres=t&include=both&limit=none&countries=

Today I learned glam metal has bolded releases on RYM. Whaddaya know

t. nu-males

and by glam metal I mean WASP

>In either instance, Van Halen is usually lumped in with the 80s hair metal acts regardless of when they cut their teeth
Their first album (which came out in 1978) made #16 on the Billboard charts and albums 2-5 made the top ten.

Ok?

Ratt are just 80s Nickelback...same white trash relationship drama songs.

>white trash
kys antifacuck

So they were huge long before 1984.

Dr. Feelgood is great but pic related is a new dimension

dont really think of GnR as hair metal in the same way that say Poison or Warrant were hair metal...

Seriously, I listened to Round and Round and thought I was listening to "This Is How You Remind Me" with 80s snare drums instead of downtuned nu metal guitars.

>Do Van Halen count?

Despite simultaneously creating hair and thrash metal...Van Halen were neither..

But Dave and Edward were the prototypes....al the singers wanted to be Diamond Dave and all the guitarists wanted to be Edward.

Try reading my posts

Glam metal had its day in 1982-85, after that it was just a ghost kept alive artificially by MTV. The final wave of glam metal bands in 88-90 like Warrant and Nitro were little more than vapor.

This is the peak

W.A.S.P

Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1980s]: He who drinks like a fish shall fuck like a fish. And I don't think that's the animal they had in mind.

>He who drinks like a fish shall fuck like a fish
youtube.com/watch?v=yUxXO3eSHa0

mah nigga

I dont get it is he saying its good?

WASP has the only consistent discography out of all the glam metal bands. Like compare WASP's 90's output compared to Motley Crews

Taken from his 1998 website.

"Distinctions Not Cost Effective denotes an artist whose few good albums wouldn't be worth digging through all their bad ones to find. Meltdown denotes an artist whose best albums wouldn't be worth your time."

Most of the LA stuff is kinda trashy, even if it's fun sometimes (I don't know if you can use the word 'patrician' for it). Motley Crue have some hooks, if you're in the mood for stripper music, and I'm really into some of Ratt's singles. If you count Guns n Roses as LA hair metal, then them. The thing about them is they stand out from the others in quality so much it almost seems like another genre, but nah, it was just rendered better. Same influences basically if a little more Rolling Stones-y.

But getting past the LA bands I'd say Def Leppard are legitimately great. Really strong pop instincts.

The thing about hair metal though is that it was a strain of heavy metal coming from the more 'party' / sexual lineage of early metal and hard rock out of the 70s, and if you (accurately) view them of just lesser versions of those influences, I'd just refer you to those, some of whom were still dominating in the 80s and considered basically the same thing: Van Halen, Aerosmith. Zeppelin were key. Kiss were an influence too but they suck obviously.

I have nothing against pop metal though. I even like 80s Ozzy, and Scorpions, Dokken, etc. I'd say just give all this stuff a shot and see which songs stick out.

>Most of the LA stuff is kinda trashy, even if it's fun sometimes

That's because LA is a very jock/normie/dudebro city that places a high value on having money and looking good. Introverts and nerds won't fit in there at all.

None of it was patrician but I was kinda surprised, this one is quite decent. Kix, Cinderella and GnR are the only ones I like, probably because they're biting the Stones, NY Dolls and Aerosmith lineage

Def Leppard (after the first two albums) are a producer-driven band and Scorpions suffer from the usual problems of artists whose first language isn't English.

dumping some favs

So basically, this faggot is saying that W.A.S.P. are shit but somehow still better than Iron Maiden who got put in his Meltdown list.

A GIPSY ROAD COULD TAKE ME HOME

>tfw bought tickets for the hysteria tour later this year

I think so. Christgau does at heart still believe that rock should have some sex appeal to it, even if it's a sex appeal he doesn't care for. The problem he has with bands like Rush and Maiden is that they're soy music listened to by angry fedoras who've never seen a 3D female body.

Never thought I'd spend this evening downloading hair metal records..

Thinking about going it would be my first concert

You're forgetting ACDC. Hair metal is very ACDC brand of pop hard rock

Are you a time traveler from 1988?

W.A.S.P. are OBJECTIVELY the best

that reminds me, one of my first concerts was Crüe, like, seven years ago. I'm really glad I went to see them. A dude offered me some absinth, it was lots of fun.

The chicks they brought on stage weren't great though. The Nasty Habits will never be topped

I never did like the Scorpions and it wasn't for lack of trying.

John sykes made that band

>make thread for glam metal and fans of glam metal to talk about said music and offer recs
>retards have to shit up the thread with Christgau spam and complaining that the music is fake shit
Why u guys do dis?

disregard them

it was a nice Led Zep revamp

>disregard them

Who? The glam metal faggots or the people pointing out that it's teenybopper music for middle school girls.

what about JAPANESE NAZI GLAMTHRASH VISUAL KEI ?

youtu.be/AZRyhOVEla8

Yeah, was going to mention AC/DC as one of the influences.

Hair metal =
Kiss's melodic sensibility
Aerosmith's boogie
Van Halen's guitar lead / soloing
AC/DC's lyrics and puerileness
Nazereth's vocals
Led Zeppelin's sexuality

And the image is a blend of Alice Cooper + Led Zeppelin + Judas Priest

They are getting scared

What thread are you in? This one is going swimmingly well. Ironically the fucking hair metal thread is the one that being well discussed.

begone ye boy of soy!

shoo shoo!

>Kiss's melodic sensibility

They weren't all that melodic on the classic albums, later on Vinnie Vincent got kicked out of the band for the super melodic songs he did on Creatures and LIU which Gene and Paul didn't like.

hair metal or not this is 80s and a 9/10

Now that Bjork thread is just terrible, it's probably the worst thread up now.

Vinnie was also a massive douche and his instruction videos were garbage

>I dont get it is he saying its good?
That's everyone's response to every Christgau review

I just mean that kind of Mickey Mouse simplicity of song form, almost power pop.

Don't mind me, just posting the best Glam Metal song.
I dunno if Slave To The Grind counts as Hair Metal. It's doubtful their debut even is, but Slave To The Grind is definitetely heavier and more brutal than anything in the hair metal scene.
Retarded statement. As if Whitesnake wasn't a kickass Hard Rock band before John Sykes.

>Vinnie was also a massive douche

So just like fellow massive douches Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley?

Reminder G'n'R is not hair metal and if you think they are then you're a total pleb that can't distinguish music styles.

Oh yeah I forgot about rosenfeld, Loudness and X JAPAN. They're very good

it's sassy.

That's a big keyword to understand the glam sound and Kiss (despite not being metal) promoted that a lot. Sass. And that's best conveyed with simple riffs.

Nah they're hair metal. They're just the final form, like Super Saiyan 3, so it seems like something else

As a fan of post-punk music I'd have to recommend you check out Southern Death Cult, as well as their second Incarnation Death Cult. Nice, and dark melodies.

exactly 1 decade from now when 00's nostalgia kicks in full effect people will be moonlighting shitty scenecore like bring me the horizon or suicide silence or whatever trash

this is what you hair metal tourist shits are the equivalent to

no you idiot, it's glam rock / hard rock. it's like the embryonic form of glam metal

remember when Judas Priest had a glam phase?
youtu.be/-Fl7yNIPlGM

Also, some of the 'horror' / 'danger' / 'evil' from Ozzy / Sabbath

And I guess when vocals got more operatic that comes from Ronnie James Dio with Rainbow? Although hair metal tended to have more Nazereth-y screechy vocals than operatic (that was more NWOBHM)

You're being a genre justice warrior

might like to try Lords of The New Church and Hanoi Rocks as well

EXCUSE ME I've been into glam metal for almost as long as I've been into metal in general. And scenecore, unlike glam metal, is objectively shit.

Besides, the emo sceneshit revival is happening right now through emo rap and trapfags

Yeah, good call.

Aerosmith and their role in hair metal influence had a lot of sass too, but in their case it was more about the boogie / back-beat

>and complaining that the music is fake shit
It was mainly the later stuff. The first real eruption of glam metal was when Quiet Riot broke. They only lasted a year, but they caused record labels to suddenly start signing glam metal bands left and right. Pretty soon you had Dokken, W.A.S.P., Ratt, and Hanoi Rocks. Kiss took off their makeup and rebranded themselves as part of the LA sound.

After this initial wave in 1983-84, 1985 was a quiet year with no new bands, then came another wave in 86 with Cinderella and Poison. Problem was, everything that happened in the late 80s gradually got more and more fake and canned. As I said above, the final glam metal bands in 88-89 like Nitro were little more than jokes.

that was a great phase

much better than Celtic Frost's

Bon Jovi also contributed to this mess. For a while, everyone and their mother tried to copy them including old 70s vets like Aerosmith and Cheap Trick.

I hate Bon Jovi, they always intended from day one to be ultra-commercialized stadium rock while occasionally doing Springsteen rips to make themselves look like legitimate artists.

>no mention of Ratt
fucking hell guys
youtu.be/u2CsUYAP6AU