Where did it all go so right?

Where did it all go so right?

The end with Vader was better than all of VII put together.

>actual character development for the lead, not a bullshit mary-sue character
>plot that was satisfying because it explained in detail the events prior to IV
>no boyega

Thank the alt-right for this flop.

>there will never be a Star War live-action television series

>Decent female lead
>No Jedi kangs

right here

Saw it today. Very good. But I'm trying to figure out if I think it's good by itself or because I'm comparing it to shitfest TFA.

The Star Wars universe right around the time of the OT is the best time for it. You got the Empire at full power with the Rebels struggling against them. Smugglers, bounty hunters, criminals, and mob bosses. Desolate locations just outside of the Empire's reach. Scavenged and ramshackle technology that barely works.

Basically everything that the prequels forgot and the sequels will try to capture, but for the pure Star Wars experience, the OT and now Rogue One is best.

The end with Vader is literally the ONLY good part

>Character development
No there wasn't.

It checked all the boxes to be a Star Wars movie but had none of the soul. In 6 months everyone will have forgotten the majority of the scenes and characters, aside from Krennic, the only good character

>character development
what about the pilot guy

>The end with Vader is literally the ONLY good part
Yeah, and it's still better than VII, because all of VII was shit.

Not really

will I be arrested for this?

Could you BE any more pleb?

Didn't watch 7, can't compare them.

Making it more like a war film really helped. It added depth to the Star Wars universe.

I enjoyed it. I describe it to friends who haven't seen it as "Star Wars for people who don't like Star Wars." For people who are more into the franchise, I compare it to "The Sith Lords" in its attitude toward the setting.

>actual character development
Eh, everyone pretty much plays out how they were introduced. Jyn's "development" gets called out explicitly by Cassian. She's doesn't express much agency in her life and really is just doing what she thinks her father would have wanted.

Czech'd. And it's probably for the best that you didn't.

Same way Han Sombrero's "development" goes from showing mistrust and intent to murder the creator of a super weapon to, not even 5 minutes later, not shooting the exact same person he was there to kill.

Oh but wait, Galen ends up dying anyway so it's 'k and this way the good guy gets to be the good goy :^)

Both VII and Rogue One are vastly superior films compared to the entire prequel trilogy.

Didn't. Watching these intro movies for the Old Republic, and they're far more endearing and interesting than R1 or TFA combined, even they ALSO rehash the same shit over and over. For some reason, the Sith being their own military instead of hiding away is pretty interesting. Too bad all Star Wars movies from here on, even if they make 50 of them, won't go older than Revenge of the Sith.

Holy shit.

I disagree. The prequels actually felt like Star Wars movies, imho. As shitty as they were, they felt like they belonged in the SW universe.

>its less popular than its more mainstream counterpart so I gotta like it heheheh

this board is truly pathetic

You're forgetting "Yoda" in DMAX 8K 3D.
It's likely they'll go 'young' Yoda to avoid impersonating Frank Oz too much.

Why the ship with the princess was inside another ship that went into a suicide mission?

>flop

Reading the wiki entries for canon makes it sound like the galaxy and the republic have only been around for 1000 years. Reading the Legends stuff, all of the myriad wars, kind of bring the importance of the Clone Wars and the Civil War down, the galaxy has gone through that shit several times and will continue to do so in a never-ending struggle between Jedi and Sith. The destruction of the Jedi to remnants mirrors the same destruction of the Sith previously.

how long have been in treatment for adult autism

When the squid crew showed up. They're so cute. ;_;

OMG

LIGHTSABERS

DEATHSTAR

THE FORCE

CHEWBACCA

STORM TROOPERS

SITH LORDS

MILLENNIUM FALCON

R2-D2

C-3PO

X-WINGS

DARTH VADER

SO COOL GUYS SO FUCKING COOL AMIRITE

NEVER SEEN THIS SHIT BEFORE A MILLION TIMES

NEVER SEEN THIS SHIT ON EVERY PIECE OF CONSUMER GARBAGE THAT HAD EVER EXISTED

Cassian is at least mirroring the Rebellions development into a unified front. One of the few themes R1 manages to stick to is the idea of these people not just fighting for the sake of something to do, but growing together behind a common ideal. Jyn should be included, but her circumstances undermine her participation in the theme. Of course, that's likely over-analyzing the character, but in my opinion going grimdark with a fantasy space opera opens the door for that kind of critique.

Star Wars is not about War. that's like saying the war on drugs is like WW2

Ira Belle a cute. That's about it, though.

It was actually Star Wars. Didn't have any hamfisted messages, was arguably a better love letter to the OT then anything George Lucas made after ROtJ.

>Vader
>Mads
>Wrapping up the story in one movie

I wouldn't say it went "right" outside of the visuals. However, it was nice to have some Imperial and Rebel politicking.

Sheldor Cooper robot the only one I was sad to see get killed. Great droid design too.

You're pleb enough to enjoy mindless, escapist extended toy commercials.
Life is easier as a dum dum.

>actual character development for the lead, not a bullshit mary-sue character

what

Ha, this. But mah dick got hard when I started recognizing xwing pilots.

It finally gets good when they get to the imperial archives planet. But that's like the last third of the movie. The first 2/3rds are shit. And those CGIfaces for Tarkin and Leia were awful.

I liked director Krennic, I liked the Asian Force monk guy, I actually enjoyed the action scenes, which was surprising to me as I have been all but incapable of watching movies from the last 10 years because the action is BORING. It was actually a complete fluke that I ended up seeing this movie, but I don't regret it at all. The CGI Tarkin looked okay except the animation, the CGI Lea looked really bad.

>In 6 months everyone will have forgotten the majority of the scenes and characters

What is every movie that isn't older than 15 years?

>master switch is literally an actual switch

>it is legitimately possible to be this fundamentally deluded

He disobeys a direct order by not killing Galen, when up until that point he had shown that he was willing to do anything that might somehow help the republic.
Like killing a literally who informant in cold blood.

>>actual character development for the lead

>for Tarkin
objectively wrong

>77
Star Wars was released in 1977

It looked fake as fuck m8. It'll take at least another 10 years of the technology for it to look even remotely convincing. Arguably it'll NEVER look convincing.

Nostalgia pandering and the people falling for it every single time

They almost got it but the problem is the animation. CGI characters' faces tend to move too much. Real people's faces never move as much when they talk. They need to hire some consultants who are versed in human anatomy.

George liked Rogue One

He didn't like TFA

That's all that has to be said

I enjoyed how Saw Gerrera's appearance bore no resemblance whatsoever to his Clone Wars counterpart and may as well been a completely different character

when they decided to put in nothing overtly cute or cuddly

Hello

Ethnically diverse cast without white males.

this

> intro movies for the Old Republic
muh kewl lightsaber battles XD

It was bad but not as bad as TFA. The casting and characters were yet again awful and the story was as safe and PC as humanly possible but atleast Vader was in it. He's an infinitelly better character than that pathethic, laughable excuse for a villain Kylo Ren.

I dunno wtf happens to the Rebellion but some time between this film and Episode 1 the entire Rebel Alliance becomes white. Naturally they start winning after that.

>It was bad but not as bad as TFA

This