/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

Get in the fucking robot, Shinji edition.

Previously on /gg/: How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s05F7u38BpEF
youtu.be/P4tpfvJtf1s
vocaroo.com/i/s1Vb0pWngX3b
clyp.it/kfc4pewu
clyp.it/pww0dlmy
youtu.be/J6inVxYTalE
youtu.be/XH9igerT86g
youtu.be/-z1vn1QAhV4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

running out of room. Got a marshall mini jubilee and a rickenbacker 12-string on the way.

Also, gibson. Les Paul or SG? Which do you think would add the most color to my palette?

topic today is how the jag is the best guitar ever

What kind of music do you play?

I always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, but the beginning seemed so slow and frustrating.

FIRST FOR POSTING GEAR GUTS

I don't care what anyone says the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster is just as good IF NOT BETTER than a Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster.
Sure it deviates from the traditional Jazzmaster tone and sound by having pickups similar to p90's than regular JM pickups but NO ONE FUCKING USES A JAZZMASTER FOR JAZZ.
FACE IT SQUIER IS A GOOD BRAND
Anyone who disagrees with not believing this could easily be a $700 guitar is a fucking idiot.
no

It's unironically one of the easiest instruments.

I wish there was a Jag with a 25.5 scale length or a JM with Jag pickup configuration.

THIS KILLS THE FENDER OFFSET.

Why did you buy two Princetons? Just to have one as a backup?

give us a closer look at dem pedals and amps

i thought we had this discussion in the last thread?

vocaroo.com/i/s05F7u38BpEF

I wanna be Tom Petty

LP

What guitar to pair with a Mesa Mark V? High end strat style, PRS, etc?

personally id rather have a lp

squire isnt bad as long as you get the vm series. Good value for the money. Not fender good but at least half the price.

JM has the lead and rythm. Only thing it lacks is the strangle switch which is awesome.

Any.
Prs

Fuck the guitar isn't even in a significant proportion of that pic. At least post Shinji playing Cello
youtu.be/P4tpfvJtf1s

Why are you still shitposting from heaven Cobain?
It's actually very easy to get into cowboy chord tier and playing easy songs, hard stuffs are when you decide to deep much deeper

They are slightly different, one is 15w with a jenson speaker, the other is 12w with a celestion gold. My idea was that I was going to route my guitar signal through both with a tc electronics mimic pedal for double tracking.

wot better

LP studio vs PRS custom 24 se

FIGHT

Dig I mean, I'm very sleepy

Well obviously not as it's still the best guitar
imo the jmjm is better especially for the neck and bridge
what do you like in particular about the vm?

hes dead

oh god the same faggot soygirl is back.

Go play keyboard or something

squires?

Good value like I said. The quality isnt bad and the pickups arent bad. Like I said not a fenderbut for $250-350 they are really good.

WHY SHOULDNT I BUY THIS 600 DOLLAR LP MADE IN KOREA AND POLISH IT WITH A BOUTIQUE BRIDGE PICKUP AND OTHER MISCELLANEOUS STUFF DOWN THE LINE? CAN YOU SHOW ME A BETTER LP?
>inb4 condor

Never posted on Sup Forums before but from what I can see I'm probably going to get flamed to shit for asking this.

I've never picked up an instrument before but wanted to learn to play bass this year. I've ordered a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Electric Bass Guitar Special that I read some good reviews for, seemed to be at a good price point, and heard was a good, versatile bass to start with. What should I expect with this bass, was this a poor choice to learn with, what are Sup Forums's general opinions on it?

Also, I'm assuming it's probably considered meme tier around here, but I picked up Rocksmith to help learn and practice with, as well as starting off with some recommended books and youtube channels. Is this going to be an okay way to start? I might consider getting lessons later at some point.

Yes.

youre gonna be ok. just dont listen too much to the people who might judge you around here. bass choice a ok

bass is strange starter.

Squire VM jags are good. Not the best but for the price they are great value and sound good. Good not great but for the price range you arent going to get great unless you get lucky.

Rocksmith is ok. Issue is it doesnt teach good habits and is easy to cheese. I wouldnt use just rocksmith but it is a good way in addition to lessons or other methods.

Bass is strange because it follows the drums. Unless you have a drummer you are missing a lot of it. I guess you can get a drum machine.

Ok thanks for the advice.

I didn't want to drop to much into this until I saw how I'd like it first, hence going for a cheaper option to get started.

And I'll definitely keep that bit about the drums in mind, and will definitely spend my focus on other learning tools with Rocksmith as a backup.

That sounds like a great bass. Any bass would do really, but I think that one is a good choice. After a couple of months you are going to want to upgrade though.

I have tried rocksmith myself, and being a somewhat experienced singer/songwriter with a good ability to do barre chords and sing, I found that rocksmith was REALLY difficult for me when doing lead guitar mode. I mean, I sound like total shit and fail even the easiest songs miserably. To me, its like rocksmith has two extremes and no middle ground: you're either hitting one note and letting it ring out for an entire measure and its pointlessly beyond easy, or you have a closer if not completely accurate version of the song note for note. I'm always too impatient to start slow and build it up.

For bass though, I think it might be a lot different and in a good way.

POST YOUR METAL CLIPS
vocaroo.com/i/s1Vb0pWngX3b

Don't worry about people here, most people here are degenerate chink loli cartoon lovers or shit player/gear attention whores

Your metal isn't meaty enough for me honestly

clyp.it/kfc4pewu

latest song I wrote

>a clip-on for every guit
gee bill

Lets hear your metal then.

>10 mins.
I always think its wishful thinking when people make songs this long and not expect people to get bored. Pink floyd did it real well though

I know it's not for everyone but I listen to a lot of long songs myself and don't get bored. I try to not drag parts out too much and switch stuff up in the song and make it rewarding.

i have a fender american jazz and it's a great instrument but so are a lot of the chinese-made squiers and fender knockoffs

as long as you get the pickup and gadget configuration you want, and the fit and finish are solid, i think that's 95% of it. i've played enough jazzes and p-basses to be confident in that. it's all about playability. tone is so easily affected by compressors, eq, pedals, that i don't really give a shit about one CnC bass to another.

pretty comfy desu, although your meme monitors are showing

I see. Well if you enjoy making long songs then by all means continue user. Was good from what i heard. But it is a music style with a small niche so not as appealing to everyone. Whose your inspirations as a guitarist.

since you love this axe so much. show off your own instead of boring promotional content. or better, upload some of your brilliant music youve made with it

>clyp.it/kfc4pewu
It's very ambitious and I think that the dynamics are there, but a little sparse.

Honestly to me it sounds like the guitars are doing way too much. There is very little room for anything else, but that is as things sometimes go in this genre. So that is a personal preference. It's kind of why I don't listen to metal to begin with. I think metal artists would do good to take it down a notch and refrain from doing the 3 minute guitargasms and just let the singer or synths or the bass have a go.

Hes just a poorfagg shill ignore him.

but, but … i want to hear him embarrass himself

Lmao listen to this faggot bass player.
>waaaah i want attention
Git gud and youll get it.

You won't need to change the DMT pickups. They're great.

They will defend their chink shit through sheer delusion before they get a job and realize how dumb they are. Against retards arguments are futile.no matter how right you are they will still defend shitty chink offsets.

Thanks, yeah I just write what I feel like hearing myself and if other people enjoy it that's a bonus. When I started out I'd say Buckethead (pic related) was my favorite guitarist but right now I'd say Devin Townsend is my biggest inspiration.

Thanks, yeah I can see where you're coming from. The chorus, the part that is most crowded right now (three different guitar parts, rhythm, lead and melody) will be switching out the melody guitar for the vocal line once I finish writing the lyrics, so there's atleast that.

forgot my (pic related)

Well maybe ill put the bridge dmt in pic related. Its what my suhr aldrich is currently in. I plan on leaving the neck pickup as is The dmts are usa made right?

I remember your guitar. I was banned then. I personally dont like buckethead so much but ill listen to it. Have you taken the Becker-Pill?

> be user
> write Copy-Paste Jaguar Bait while LARPing as "poorfag"
> then play the role of the poorfag-hater
that's some nice samefagging. Seems like it worked in the previous bread, too.

[note that i will not reply to anything regarding your samefagging from now on, so don't even try to fabricate an answer yourself]

>usa made
No idea

54 replies, 17 posters. Seems there's a lot of samefagging in here.

yes boss, right away boss
clyp.it/pww0dlmy

3 minutes in, this is pretty sick. Really good riffs and melodies

It's true though. Metal guitarists blow their loads 10 seconds into the song whereas someone like John Frusciante does whats good for the song.

And then, when he does something impressive on the guitar it actually means something. It's actually valuable.

If you look at the metal status quo its always some sweaty neckbeard thats doing 8 minutes of eddie van halen and pinch harmonics. It's so formulaic and dull yet they are exerting so much effort and their sonic footprint occupies so much of the song.

>Thanks, yeah I can see where you're coming from.

Yeah, and don't get me wrong either, it IS really good and it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing. Do you have a band lined up for this or do you just record this solo?

Is that an EBMM Stingray? If anything that would kill the SG.

i have to admit that even though i myself would never make the same design choices your guitar looks pretty good (even in this beat up condition) compared to some things uploaded around here. at least this has some personality

Can't say I have, will have to look into him!

Thanks! This is really cool dude, reminds me of Periphery (which I'm actually practicing one of their songs right now between shitposting)

I think you'll be hard pressed to find bands/songs that are just 8 minutes of guitar solo wankage

Thanks again, yep I have a band which I write most of my music for. Just recording the demos at home by myself before taking them to rehearsal.

Good stuff user. But i think youre missing a heavy rhythm guitar in there. Just a suggestion
Lmao stfu. You dont know what youre talking about
youtu.be/J6inVxYTalE

Let me enlighten you user. I think you will love this stuff and imo his music is a good tool for people who like melodic shred stuff. This whole album is gold though but heres one song.
youtu.be/XH9igerT86g

>missing a heavy rhythm guitar in there
hmm. It's mostly in F# so it doesn't ride the low notes. I suppose I could get an 8-string and just double it an octave down and go full meshuggah

I need some advice about what bass to buy. I have a cheap Ibanez PJ bass right now.
My problem is that I can't narrow it down between PJ and J. Either way, I'd probably buy a used Squier classic vibe or vintage modified. I went to guitar center and played both of them for about an hour, but it's really hard to decide when you're playing in a noisy place on an amp that's not yours with weird strings.
My thought is that no matter what, I want the J bridge pickup, but I'm not sure about the neck pickup. A J neck pickup would blend nicely with the bridge pickup for hum cancelling and would match nicely in tone, but a P in the neck would be a lot beefier and give me a little more versatility. On the other hand, couldn't I just get a P sound out of a J pickup by turning up the bass on my amp a bit? I can't decide and I need a new bass pronto.

>tfw wanted to learn guitar 10 years ago when i started playing guitar hero
>tfw hopeless NEET so can't afford one

one day

Idk user. i only play in e standard
Thanks it was my first floyd guitar its a cheap indonesian made dean. It has served me well for practice and experimentation. I frankensteined it myself. Has a coil tap.

either a p or a j

Dude. Get your life together. Learn from Mike

Damn that's some pretty sick playing, not reaally my kinda stuff but the playing is great. Gonna check some more of his stuff out and see how that is.

Yes it is. Its currently what im Gasing for.

I kind of wish it had two tone pots.

thanks, doesn't help though. I can't decide between a JJ or a PJ

youtu.be/-z1vn1QAhV4
Too bad he has lou gehrig disease. He was in his prime too.

That would make most other big name brand guitars obsolete. They will probably get murdered in their sleep.

EBMM has you beat there too

Damn. I like that a lot

That guitar is hideous.
>Fuck the guitar isn't even in a significant proportion of that pic.
No, but cute anime feet are, and that's what is important.

These are pretty funky.

>that guitar is hideous
>but cute anime feet are, and that's what is important.
You should be the last person judging anything on this god given earth fucking virgin creep

Tell me what compressor to buy. These are the options I've liked so far: Earthquaker Warden, Orange Kongpressor, Origin effects Cali76

Never cared for that shape. But it is cheaper

YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT BUT THIS IS WHAT PEAK PERFORMANCE LOOKS LIKE

if thats the peak then youre holding the chart upside down dummo

Mxr dynacomp.

>My idea was that I was going to route my guitar signal through both with a tc electronics mimic pedal for double tracking.
Have you done this? If so, how did you like it?
>he says, while posting on an anime website

Red pill me on emperor

>Dean
>Peak performance

Hahahahaha

i like the advantage of two amps but why not a wet/dry mix instead? do you use any slight change in tone (like the digitech luxe can do) to emphasize the difference between the signals a bit?

Is there a big difference between Fender's Standard Precision Bass (top) and their American Professional Precision Bass (bottom)? I'm not sure if the American Professional is *that* good to justify a $1,499 price tag.

Hey guys should i buy this as my first bass to learn on?
www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/127799

just, no. tried it out and didnt like it. would like more control. also tried the sp compressor which i heard good things about but it didnt do it for me.

You can find out just as much as I can. I can't even afford to look at one.

I'm not even sure if they're out yet, or if they're each custom made like their basses.

Fucking pansy. You probably just suck at playing.

There's not much of a difference between a bottom-tier Squier and the bottom one, user. Most of the difference is in the setup, and if you know what you're doing a setup is free. If you had any idea how good you can make a cheap instrument sound and feel with a proper setup you'd never buy an expensive instrument again.

>Have you done this?

I have, but I think the princetons sound too similar and I need a bit of shielding or maybe repositioning to isolate the individual mics. I'm using neumann KM 184s and their diaphragms aren't as focused as I had hoped.

I have a lot of experimentation to do too. I can add some effects to texture each amplifier a little bit more (after the mimic) and I also have a marshall mini jubilee coming. I am very excited to try it out with that and a variety of different od/distortion pedals. (fulltone OCD, empress heavy, boss DS-1/2, wampler dracarys are a few of the ones I have

Its a lot to try out. I'm really trying to focus on getting better at guitar right now, as I am horrible on lead and I'd like to not be BEFORE I start writing and recording. Writing and recording and become a huge distraction for me, and if I don't have the finger skills to do what I want I end up wasting a lot of time.

I love my jag and I love anime feet OPs.

So boutique luthier. Got it