What's the difference between post-punk, thrash metal and indie-rock?

What's the difference between post-punk, thrash metal and indie-rock?

only one of the three is actual music

Indie rock isn't that bad.

Thrash metal was indie where as indie-rock was owned by Time Warner paradoxically and post punk wasn't punk at all - see no wave. Thrash metal was probably closer to punk than post-punk .

To summarise then. Thrash metal was independent where as indie-rock wasn't and Thrash was the next evolution on from punk which certainly wasn't post-punk.

Okay, but what does it actually sound like? Pavement?

You're both really fucking dumb.

Let's just check some of the labels on this indie oh no that's le megacorp plc. Nuclear blast and earache weren't bought out to my knowledge (might have been nowthough) what about metal blade? Hmmm.

Do you guys like crossover thrash?

Thrash Metal was literally American metal bands in the 80s, that identified more with the underground hardcore punk subculture of the time than the foofy glam metal scene. So they incorporated the aggression of hardcore music to the metal sound.

Many of the participants of the original punk movement had art school backgrounds, and wanted to apply an avant garde approach and aesthetic to basically unconventional, challenging, noisy punk music. They also wanted to go far beyond the basic garage rock sound of many of their punk peers (hence the term "post-punk" or "beyond punk"). The basic sound was predicted by the early more art school-oriented American punk groups, like Richard Hell & The Voidoids, Suicide, Patti Smith, Television, Pere Ubu, and the no wave scene of bands like DNA and James Chance.
However, Post-Punk really took shape with very artsy, uncompromising British groups like the Pop Group, Wire, Gang of Four, and, most famously, Joy Division. That said, most of these groups disliked the term, basically seeing themselves as punk groups. While those groups rejected it as a journalist creation, the Scottish post-punk scene of groups like Josef K and the Fire Engines really embraced the term because they saw themselves as fundamentally separate from the punk movement, especially since Scotland had very little presence in the early punk movement.

Indie Rock basically came about in the mid 80s, when American and British bands wanted to go beyond the sounds of new wave, post-punk, and hardcore, incorporating everything from folk music to pop music, to even early house music. As the songwriting became warmer and more substantial, it fundamentally broke from the old punk identity. "Indie" and "alternative" were essentially interchangeable until the mid 90s, after which alternative had really become a mainstream designation thanks to grunge and britpop. After that, "indie" was still underground, while "alternative" could be mainstream. Indie finally became...

co-opted by the mainstream in the early 00s, thanks to "garage rock revival" and "post-punk revival" bands of the era, like Interpol, The Hives, The Vines, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines, and so on.

Yeah. Crossover from what though?

Hardcore. Cause thrash just isn't hardcore enough.

>Indie Rock basically came about
Until you got to this paragraph. Apply yourself more please in future C-

The original thrash scene was literally a melding of hardcore punk and metal music. To distinguish them, we call the metal bands that incorporated hardcore's aggression "thrash metal," while we call the hardcore bands that incorporated metal's heaviness and instrumentation "crossover thrash."

Explain.

Not for bands influenced by nwobhm, an American thrash band could reach the conclusion of thrash free from any punk influence hardcore or no. I'm fairly sure there were thrash bands that despised punk and would have been insulted by the inference of a connection. See also early South American thrash which was the big 4 blueprint, it's too out on its own to suppose a punk influence.

I know that the big four were all heavily into the hardcore scene.

As for South America, I can only comment on Sarcofago and Sepultura, but I know Max Cavalera basically considered early Sepultura a punk band.

*sigh* making more stuff up that sounds right. Indie rock seems more regressive than progressive, as in harking back to song smiths of the sixties and seventies but with a modern sound. Not going beyond punk (???) but looking back prior to it. There was no "broke from old punk identity " , there isn't a punk identity in indie rock. Take the jam, it's not even punk, nor are the buzzcocks really. Punk and goth have more in common probably.

fuck.

Literally fucking nothing.

Its just rock played at different speeds.

I didn't make anything up. I'm talking about how the term was used at the time. You're mis-grading me based on your own lack of understanding.

There was a lot more going on with indie than just the Smiths. R.E.M. were rooted in post-punk, but were taking in a lot of influence from Appalachian folk music. Hüsker Dü started out a hardcore band, but got into psychedelia and 60s pop; that said, they certainly weren't looking backward - they put those pop elements in the context of music that was blindingly fast even by hardcore standards. The Replacements were into everything from country to 70s hard rock, to early pop rock groups like Big Star. Beat Happening basically applied a punk ethos to a weird mix of outsider music, children's pop music, and folk. Yeah, the Smiths were into 60s pop, especially girl groups. And then there's the madchester scene, with bands like Happy Mondays, who were fusing post-punk with house music, and a bit of psychedelia.

The general trend of alternative/indie music was that it was rooted in those post-punk sounds, but it was pushing in other directions in pop music. So stop condescendingly sighing.

>dn't make anything up

No I meant I was. God's sake you're hardwork.

*SIGH, I MYSELF HAVE TO MAKE MORE THINGS UP ABOUT MUSIC*
Jesus christ what's wrong with you, that should have been obvious.

>God's sake you're hardwork.
You're really condescending.

It's not. Is English your first language?

You know he is thinking about all the youngbloods he violated.