Watching a beam of that magnitude with the naked eye and without any protection as it incinerates the atmosphere and...

>watching a beam of that magnitude with the naked eye and without any protection as it incinerates the atmosphere and flashes with the literal brightness and heat of a concentrated solar flare powerful enough to sustain itself through hyperspace

>children's fantasy movie

they're already blind. it's like a very deep metaphore for the limited vision of the alt right. really makes you think huh?

Sauce

they were watching it trough some eye protecting force field

I didn't like his over the top acting. It was almost cartoonish.

Yes they do make big red

Starkiller Base shows that JJ lacks a comprehension of scale or that he has any understanding of the previously established fictional universe.

>zealot acts in over-the-top manner addressing something he despises.

what a shock

not to mention that a beam with that kind of power probably incinerates/irradiates everything around it withing a 10000 mile radius. it's science FICTION, ya dip

Wow they actually destroyed Coruscant.

Finally something original from the sequels.

It's a pretty shit weapon, surely firing it and sucking in a suns radiation to repower would destroy the fucking atmosphere. When would they live on the surface?

Didn't know Neil deGrasse Tyson browsed Sup Forums

you don't need to be nigger scientist to gather that. it looks brighter than a fucking nuke. What little of atmosphere there was would be ignited by that force and create the storm of incredible size. Radiation alone could give them a tan of a fucking frying pan and then kill them. i guess the force could also change the orbit of the base.

>beam obviously travels faster than light, since it fires halway across the galaxy in a matter of minutes.
>people on the planet can see it coming.

The Birth of a Nation (1915)

>it's science FICTION, ya dip
No, it's fantasy. Science fiction and fantasy are two separate genres for a reason.

is the overall concensus that rogue 1 > force awakening?

>Wow they actually destroyed Coruscant.
it wasn't coruscant

supposedly

but has that ever been confirmed ?

When are they going to find a planet that is made out of the same shit that powers the lightsabers?

I want to see a "deathstar" that spins and cuts up things

There were no planets shown in TFA that was in previous movies. Every single planet was a new one.

it was Hosnian Prime the capital of the new republic and some other planets. Coruscant is likely still controlled by the empire/first order

Nope, coruscant is in the galactic core, the first order only controls the unknown regions as of TFA, perhaps in between movies they've expanded their territory though

so who controls Coruscant then? If the rebels/new republic have it then why isn't it the capital?

>blow up planets in 3 separate solar systems
>observe all three explosions from within a single planet's atmosphere
Fucking fantastic film am I right?

Yeah it was actually one of the only parts of the movie with any personality imo, and so it deserves to be left alone considering the rest of it being so bland.

they a big explosions

Likely some other fragmented imperial faction, or just an independent planet.

Yes.
Rogue One is boring but once the film is over you don't get out of the cinema with your head full of fucks because of how retarded the film was.
TFA was more entertaining but it was really retarded as pointed out ITT

Pretty much, I usually dislike the cartoonish nazi stand-in because it is just so unoriginal, but it is the only part of the movie that someone seemed to at least try.

Shouldnt the beam have fired the planet backwards thousands of miles?

firing light has no recoil, light has no mass

that's a nice picture

Funny how you ask a question about the weapon's recoil and don't even question how stupid the weapon itself is.

>implications

The how do solar powered crafts move through space?

Oh it's a more realistic depiction of the death planet laser.

I can agree with this. They showed the base was big from far away but when they were on the base it didn't FEEL big, ya know?

They pushed the nazi imagery way too much in this particular scene, but I think it is still appropriate that some nazi imagery be used just to give some context and levity to the First Order.

What would be even better is if they pushed recognisable but nuanced nazi rhetoric in the movie, to provide the audience with something other than the usual unchallenging moustache-twirling villains. People often dismiss the nazis too easily because they aren't exposed to their more tame and convincing ideals. A movie that portrayed this but also realistically showed the self-destructiveness of the ideas would be nice, but I don't think JJ has the capacity to take risks in shifting the tone and narrative to be more challenging and serious at this point.

i went to tfa twice to cinema to make sure i really dont like it. i hate what abrams had done. he should pay for it.

t. a massive star wars fan

converts light to energy to run thrusters

>firing light has no recoil, light has no mass
it does

that would imply that the beam was moving at the speed of light, which it clearly wasn't since we observed it leaving the base and approaching the planets

Now that's some dedication!

That whole scene had more acting oomph put into it than the entire rest of the movie especially the phones in performance by harrison

i would love a movie like that. god, i really had high hopes for tfa. jj you dick.

Really makes you think

>caring this much about apparent plot holes in Sci-fi movies
>thinking star wars is the only movie series to ever put things like this in

It's not the first and it certainly won't be the last movie to make shit up and ignore rules and physical laws for the simple point of making things look cool or plot expediency.

Honestly star wars needs, of both varieties, fan boy and critic, are the worst people on the Internet sometimes. Get a grip you faggots.

Maybe it was made up of some energy that doesn't blind you by looking at it, or was partially phased into a different quantum dimension or some bullshit. Who gives a fuck?

Maybe it's made of the same shit that fires out of the laser guns in Star wars and gives us blaster bolts. We have seen them flying around every shoot out in the star wars universe since ANH and you needs have accepted that without question. Jedis even move their limbs quickly enough to block them and even deflect them back on enemies. Even though they should presumably be moving at light speed.

>children's fantasy movie
Weird. Usually you people would call a movie like this too grim for children.

Here is your first and last (you).

The Starkiller concept just killed all the magic that the Death Stars had in the previous movies. The idea of the Galactic Empire secretly building a super weapon capable of destroying planets was fascinating because it looked an impossible effort, an idea of unspeakable terror.
But with TFA the Death Stars just look stupid and trivialized. Any bunch of bad guys can build a super ultra cannon in secret and proceed to blow up planets anywhere. Whoa!

And a ridiculously incompetent bunch of bad guys, at that.
The Good vs Evil dichotomy is only interesting if both forces are evenly matched and one has to find a way to take the upperhand or if we see the movie from the underdog's point of view who has to fight against the odds to succeed.

In TFA there's none of that. The New Order gets BTFO from start to finish, they are laughably incompetent while the Resistance is godlike. The only time the New Order dish out some hits the Resistance and takes the loss of 3 or 4 planets like it's nothing.

>Any bunch of bad guys can build a super ultra cannon in secret and proceed to blow up planets anywhere. Whoa!
I assumed the weapon was ancient and alien. Pretty much like the Halos in Halo. Isn't it sad how I have to make shit up in my head like this? You'd think if they were going to trivialize the fuck out of the OT that they'd fill in some fucking blanks. Of course Reddit will say "wait for the sequels!" as if TFA is the first Star Wars movie ever made.

TURB und BLIND

Suck it you slime

The troopers can't even watch it, they had to stare staright.

Absolutely love the way he carries his coat on shoulders

His devotion to the empire is all the protraction he needs

it was the same with the sun crusher

lois lane character was so cringe

Christ this. In ANH 80% of the pilots who took on the Death Star died, Empire ends on a down note with the bad guys literally winning, and in ROTJ the assault on the second Death Star appears to be a complete failure until the very end. There was at least tension and suspense in these movies, in TFA there was nothing. TFA felt so bland and soft, like man-child baby food.
>ooooh lookee, here comes another piece of nostalgia, mmmm isn't it good man baby?