II've seen things you people wouldn't believe

>II've seen things you people wouldn't believe
>Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
>I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.

Is this as Kino as it gets Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PQiQwGMQF_s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nah mediocre at best

no, this is:

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.” - Dumbeldore

not the same level

What exactly is the significance of the "tears in the rain" speech?
I don't get it

Nobody will ever know what he experienced, his subjective reality is a dying flower with no meaning. In the end he saved Deckard because he wanted to share a story with him, so he won't feel lonely.

nah he saved Deckard because in his final moments he learned to appreciate life itself.

he also clings to it by holding the dove (which i think is supposed to be a real animal) in his final moments

How did he see these things that people wouldn't believe in his short 4 year life ? Also was deckard a replicant? Just watched this last night

every time i see this flick i fall right the fuck asleep

boring t b h

Because he's a construction android used by engineers for dangerous work in deep space where humans can't survive, so only androids know what it's like to work there.

Deckard being a replicant is entirely inconsequential to the overall themes of the film.

Maybe watch it again?

depends heavily on which version of the movie you watch.
in the final directors cut it's heavily suggested (the unicorn and the fact that memories and dreams can be fabricated )

(You)

Why did he learn to appreciate life itself? "lol reasons"? Thematically it doesn't fit with the greater theme of culture/class struggle. He couldn't become accepted in the society, everyone rejected his life, so in the end he rebels by accepting his enemy.

maybe although life is mostly suffering, some key moments make it worth living

Roy wanted to show Deckard that he was human. That he deserved to live. What's more human than saving a man from dying? What's more human than sharing your deepest and fondest memories? It's Roy's ultimate victory. He might not have gained complete humanity, but he convinced another that his life was worth something.

>As it was mentioned before the relationship between replicants and eyes is very difficult to characterize. However, some conclusions can be drawn safely. The replicants seem to toy with eyes in many scenes of the films, noticeably in Chew's lab and in Sebastian's apartment (McCoy, 1995). It seems that they have accepted the fact that their eyes are fake and that his leads to fake memory formation, so they do not “pay respect” to artificial eyes and toy with them. In other words, they seem to consider eyes as insignificant toys rather than highly sophisticated artificial organs. On the other hand when Roy says to Chew “If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes” he seems to have positive feelings about his eyes. A possible explanation for that is that when they actually toy with they eyes, the do not toy with just the organs but with what they think they represent. They may think that these eyes may be fake and their memories are as fake as well, but at the end of the story what they have seen with these eyes is real and it is a part (probably the only real part) of their experiences in life.

>Real eyes on the other hand constitute a great source of attraction for replicants. The replicants seem to prefer to kill humans via the eye sockets by pushing out their eyes (McCoy, 1995). Why do they choose this strange type of killing? Their physical capabilities are far superior to humans and they could kill them in many ways. They might feel a type of envy when they gouge out the eyes of their enemies. Maybe they feel angry with their own eyes and want to destroy real eyes and real memories. Even more, they might want to bring the eyes in their possession because they might feel that this way they will feel more real.

>Tyrell's death is indeed a remarkable scene. His huge glasses cannot protect him from death. His eyes are gouged out. The divine threshold is fallen apart. His is not a real god….He is artificial as well.

>I've seen (insert names and places that mean nothing)
wow.....rly made me think....

That's what I'm saying as well, everyone treated replicants like subhumans so Roy transcends ordinary humanity by adopting noble qualities. The high class scientists wouldn't save him despite having the means, but he saved Deckard.

>Nobody will ever know what he experienced, his subjective reality is a dying flower with no meaning
that's true for humans and these robots though?

this

I had the biggest crush on this guy when I was little. I watched this film on repeat and I apparently used to cry my eyes out whenever he died.

Unironically this

So overrated

Faggot

No.

it was more that Roy showed how convincingly human a replicant can be, it made deckard doubt his own humanity. It's less for the character and more for the audience

r u a grill?

>Kino
>shit mentioned in Soldier and Hunter Prey

No.

It was Roy's victory over Deckard, the replicant hunter. He wasn't a machine. He had memories of his own. He had a humanity of his own. He fears his death as any other man.

>all those moments will be lost like tears in rain

Is his frustration with his premature death. It's not about Deckard. It's about Roy.

It's not frustration about premature death, had he been frustrated he would've have saved Deckard. Seeing it as a "victory" or some form of one-upmanship is completely and grossly missing the point.

>I've seen ships on fire off the shoulders of Orion
>Ships on fire
>In space

Go watch the theatrical cut with HF's voice over, and come back.

Then enlighten me. Why did he save Deckard?

Why not? Ships do have air inside them, probably enough to cause short term fires.

I believe what drove the replicants to action is being unable to cope with the fear of a sudden death. They don't know which of their memories are true and which aren't, thus making them fear death that could loom at any moment. This is something that applies to humans as well, something Deckard realises at the end when he wants to run and start living life in an active manner.

Because he knew he was about to die anyway and there was nothing that could prevent it. He wanted to go out sharing a memory with a possible other replicant which he must have realized by that point himself. He saw no sense in further killing. In a way he was making peace with his own existence, and found his own humanity.

Anyone who uses the word "kino" on this board should be shot in the back of the head.

Because he wanted to tell him his life story.

>In a way he was making peace with his own existence, and found his own humanity.
Is that not his victory then? Him finding peace, finding humanity and then dying?

And that's the point. Because robots weren't treated as such, their existance is considered disposable.

The way he delivers it is better than the actual words tbqh

I'm not the guy you were responding to, but I think saying this was only about his victory over Deckard is belittling and downplaying the stakes here.

There is no relation between fallibility of memory and fear of death. Fear of death isn't really a theme of this movie so much as fear of a meaninglessness.

It's his "personal victory" in the sense that he reached some form of transcendence in his final moments, but it's not a "victory over" Deckard in the sense that there's no resentment involved.

I read that the actor created this line himself somewhere.. that the original script had it so boring

I believe the pigeons in the end are the only real animals in the movie.

>In the film, the dying replicant Roy Batty makes this speech to Harrison Ford's character Deckard moments after saving him from falling off a tall building. Deckard had been tasked to kill him and his replicant friends. The words are spoken during a downpour, moments before Batty's death:

>I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

>In the documentary Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner, Hauer, director Ridley Scott, and screenwriter David Peoples asserted that Hauer wrote the "Tears in Rain" speech. There were earlier versions of the speech in Peoples' draft screenplays; one included the sentence "I rode on the back decks of a blinker and watched C-beams glitter in the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate"[6] In his autobiography, Hauer said he merely cut the original scripted speech by several lines, adding only "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain"[7] although the original script, displayed during the documentary, before Hauer's rewrite, does not mention "Tannhäuser Gate":

>I have known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I've been Offworld and back...frontiers! I've stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion. I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I've seen it...felt it!

>Hauer described this as "opera talk" and "hi-tech speech" with no bearing on the rest of the film, so he "put a knife in it" the night before filming, without Scott's knowledge.[8] In an interview with Dan Jolin, Hauer said that these final lines showed that Batty wanted to "make his mark on existence ... the replicant in the final scene, by dying, shows Deckard what a real man is made of."[9]

>When Hauer performed the scene, the film crew applauded and some even cried.[10]

beyond based

This is still unironically one of my absolute favorite moments in cinema, partially because he did ax the original dialogue and do his own thing.

Literally too deep for you.

The way he describes things you (or Deckard) have no context or point of reference for is meant to directly mirror the abstract quality inherent of everyone's memories and lived experience. Two people can never truly share the same experience, every human life and experience is truly unique and can never really be shared, and those things die with you.

Can androids live? Androids can truly die. Roy's death is as human and as relatable as it can possibly be. He makes the same realization everyone does in the end.

>There is no relation between fallibility of memory and fear of death.

There absolutely is. The replicants know they have an artificial lifespan that will kill them almost immediately when they "expire". They also know some of their memories are fake and cannot be used to measure the passage of time. Thus, by not knowing how much time they've truly spent alive, they do not know at what moment will they die.

>Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

This thread is making me want to watch it again tonight.

>inconsequential
Some main themes of the movie are the blurring of line between man and machine, and what exactly it means to be "human." If we define humanity as mortal intelligent beings capable of expressing emotion and feelings, what makes replicants not human? Are they more human than people themselves?
If the movie explores those aspects and attempts to reveal humanity within the machines then the main character also being a replicant is not inconsequential. It directly relates to those blurred lines.

>Meanwhile, in the mind of a sub-seventy IQ mongoloid

>you are nlw aware that there is no such thing as a victory

>sea beams at the tannenberg gate xDD

Really got my noggin spinnin

Time to get comfy

youtube.com/watch?v=PQiQwGMQF_s

>like farts in wind

The fact that the actor edited his lines and then gave a epic speech is what makes it so great.

Really makes you think

People who watch anime should be castrated.

the soundtrack really adds to the movie

who's doing the ost for 2049?

Villeneuve's previous soundtrack man Johann Johannsson. Pretty solid, probably one of the best choices available.

is this real?

I think it's very unlikely but i was hoping for vangelis

He really nailed the neo noir - sci fi feel I so much appreciated about the film