Is the influence this album has had on modern guitarists the reason rock is dead?

Is the influence this album has had on modern guitarists the reason rock is dead?

I don't even understand what you're trying to ask right now

did you also make a thread about pizza?

Maybe if you posted 1984 somebody might agree. What you posted is something any rock musician should strive for.

This album is the reason shred rock is popular. The idea of making guitar solos something more than a percentage of a song or piece, the glorification of "muh shredding" and the over importance of playing songs perfectly with too much focus on technical ability rather than emotion or creativity, is the reason bands aren't doing anything cool or interesting. It's the reason rock music has stagnated and people think rock is dead.

>77677525
EVH is probably the most overrated guitarist of all time

Is this 1989? I'd argue shit like Beat Happening is more the reason modern rock is dead

There's no shredding in Grunge, Britpop, and Butt Rock though. Are you sure it wasn't post grunge that fucked rock?

Can I just say that I have always thought Van Halen sucked shit.

No really, I hate them.

this

They were alright in 1980.

Yeah man I was 10 in 1980 and I thought they sucked shit then too.

you can say that but it’s a shitty opinion

I say it was nu metal. The shit was so horrible that it turned a whole generation of kids off of guitar music.

None of the guitarists from popular rock bands from the 90s onwards "shredded" tho. like Radiohead and Oasis or any of the 90s grunge bands aren't known for virtuosity in their guitar playing

Too fucking fruity. Fuck Van Halen.

hair metal was never cool

This is the correct opinion

Van Halen [Warner Bros., 1978]

For some reason, Warner wants us to know this is the biggest bar band in the San Fernando Valley. That is an understatement--all new bands start out as bar bands unless they're Boston. The term "bar band" becomes honorific when the music belongs in a bar. This music belongs on an aircraft carrier. C

Van Halen II [Warner Bros., 1979]

Let it never be said that popular styles don't evolve--in the wake of Kiss and Boston, this is heavy metal that's pure, fast, and clean with a minimum of myoptheia and bombast, while the guitar features are defined just as that. So how come pure formalists don't love the shit out of these guys? Not because they're into dominating women, that's for sure. B-

Women and Children First [Warner Bros., 1980]

Eddie VH's quicksilver whomp earns the Hendrix comparisons, and he's no clone--he's faster, colder, more structural. David Lee Roth adds a wild-ass sophistication to the usual macho--no mortal arena singer would even think of the goofy country blues takeoff that provides the title. But the message of the music isn't the exuberance of untrammeled skill, it's the arrogance of unchallenged mastery. Without being pompous about it, which is a plus, these guys show as little feeling for their zonked, hopelessly adoring fans as Queen. They're kings of the hill and we're not. B

>David Lee Roth

eww, like, gag me with a spoon

Is it me, or does this guy have no clue about Boston or how they got started?

He has no clue about anything.

Case in point.

>Staring at the Sea: The Singles [Elektra, 1986]

>Caught in his least lugubrious moments, Robert Smith stands revealed as a guy who gets a lot of skin because he believes he can live without it. He just won't play the "stupid game" that hooks the definitive "Let's Go to Bed," with its rotating I-don't-if-you-don't challenges--care, feel, want it, say it, and of course play it (and now let's go to bed, it's getting late). Guys who don't make passes because they wear glasses hate him for this, as do guys who don't get laid despite their muscular bods and heads. Above the fray, I think he's kind of amusing myself--a real cool type. B+

Bob, you do realize that Robert Smith and his wife have been together since they were 14?

This new post full Christgau reviews in threads meme is the best Sup Forums has come up with in a while

>Thinking van Halen has ever made an album that was better than a 5/10
The absolute state of music journalism in the 80s

EVH and his style of guitar playing helped Rock music thrive through the 80s. How many kids were inspired by this one album and really just Eruption? Look at any Hair Metal/Hard Rock band from the 80s and the Van Halen influence is there. Whether it be in the form of the the singer trying to be David Lee Roth or the guitarist trying to be Eddie. Usually it was both. In terms of influence and overall effect on the landscape of Rock musicians and guitarists specifically, EVH was the biggest guitarist since Clapton and Hendrix.

Rock isn't dead, it's just not at the forefront anymore, hip hop is.

That's retarded. You rarely even hear a guitar solo in rock these days and it's still dead.

>The shit was so horrible that it turned a whole generation of kids off of guitar music.
That is actually true, sadly. Same thing with emo pop. I remember being on YouTube during the early days, and there were people sick and tired of hearing CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN or LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR in every other video. I'm sure a lot of kids went over to hip hop or bleeps for this reason.

So basically you're saying EVH inspired horrible buttrock bands. Noice.

>Boston
>heavy metal
Bob, I...

>implying van halen aren't buttrock themselves
Don't kid yourself kid

Nobody claimed otherwise.

Lemme give you the truth. Hip-hop has become what rock was in the 80s--the industry's go-to genre for quick, easy, and lazy cash grabs. The market for hip-hop has become oversaturated and the quality of it has suffered. Guitar music has become an alternative/underground/hipster thing.

What I'm saying is at some point the buttrap/trap bubble will pop just like the hair metal bubble popped. All the generic, lame trappers with "Lil" in their name are no different than the legions of stupid pop metal groups with a W in their name back in the day.

> Radiohead not known for virtuosic playing

Have you listened to, let alone attempt to perform the soloing on Paranoid Android?

>No really, I hate them.

Your opinion doesn't matter.

Chritgau gets it. VH were solid in the 80s.

When the current guitar cancer is shit like Boy Pablo I don't think Van Halen can be blamed except as maybe a tertiary influence

I guess he kind of liked them because of DLR's sardonic, self-aware lyrics. Critics eat up that shit.

>Hip-hop has become what rock was in the 80s--the industry's go-to genre for quick, easy, and lazy cash grabs.

Correct, but EVH's name will be recalled long after Kanye etc is gone. The guitar or similar has been around for 2,000 years and it ain't going anywhere.

Eddie is and always will be guitar royality (for good or bad) and a big reason new players pick up a guitar.

I always felt the problem with hip-hop is how flavor-of-the-month it is. Rap tracks age _very_ quickly and it also doesn't translate into a live setting like guitar music.

Anyone playing a guitar knows their classic rock ABCs but hardly anyone aspiring to be a rapper actually listens to oldskool shit like Ice T and Pac because talking about the crack wars, beefs with other rappers who got shot in a drug deal 25 years ago, and Magic Johnson is pretty fucking irrelevant in this day and age.

Not really complaining, with the increasing amount of bleeps, there's a possibilty that more people can't play instruments/create music just using their own hands, so the ones who can actually do it will be appreciated more. Kinda like when traditional drawing is a rare skill nowadays and too much bad artists using 'uniqueness/authenticity' reasons to make up for their lack of skills, traditional hand drawing artists are a rarity and nowadays started to get appreciated more. Also this guy gets it right

Or mentioning Rodney King. That sort of thing.

No, I'm saying they had literally the opposite effect that OP is talking about. The fact that they were influential goes without saying unless you have absolutely no knowledge of Rock music history.

Rock isn't dead, you idiots, it's just evolved quite a bit and become more niche. The straightforward riffy/bluesy rock isn't cool anymore (thank fuck).

The biggest difference now is that it is much easier to record all the instruments yourself and you can just upload your music to the internet when it's done, similar to how a lot of electronic music and hip hop is made nowadays. This gets rid of what has always been one of rock's greatest barriers to entry: the fact that you had to form a band with people who are both reliable and skilled musicians. Good luck doing so. Of course, this has other effects too, like the fact that there is much less emphasis on jamming with others as a compositional tool, which is something I miss a bit as a guitarist myself. Overall though I think it is a positive thing.

>the absolute state of music nerds

Nirvana did that you shit-eating autist
There was no such thing as butt rock in the motherfucking 80s

They weren't
Butt rock is relegated to the 90s-onwards

You're overstating Van Halen's influence on the modern era.
I'd argue guys like Satriani or Malmsteen are more influential. And also most people are influence more by guys like Hendrix, Blackmore, Page etc.

>All the generic, lame trappers with "Lil" in their name are no different than the legions of stupid pop metal groups with a W in their name back in the day.
Except, you know...Rock is actual music, Rap is not.

It is dead.
The only rock music worth shit is produced by guys on their 50s.

Well said user. I'm with you 100%

He's not talking about rock in the traditional sense. He's just saying the guitar isn't fucking gone. If you pay attention to anything in the history of music you know that what is picked up isn't lost, it's just transmuted.

Yup. Rock comes and goes but guitar music is as big as ever.