Another historian, Shane White...

>Another historian, Shane White, also states that the show's depiction of the founding of the United States stems from an outdated narrative that a few great men built the country. White says that historians now view the founding in a new way:

>Attempting to get away from the Great Men story of the founding fathers, these scholars have incorporated ordinary people, African-Americans, Native Americans and women and placed the whole half-century in the broader contexts of the Atlantic World. In this more inclusive and nuanced telling of the republic's creation, Hamilton plays a cameo rather than leading role

is this /tv related? what do you think of this musical?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yIl1OIGzuDg
m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kJnDHP7cH9I
youtube.com/watch?v=aWlwrUFiuUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Meh, let th shitskins have it. The whole meaning of cultural appropriation is retarded anyway, and the musical is.....actually not that bad

how does a musical that puts blacks natives and women in the main role of building the US and uses rapping to tell the story become so unanimously popular in the same way trump wins the presidency?

Except it doesn't put black natives and women in the main role.

Are you dense?

A middlebrow epic rap battles of history. Will be completely forgotten in 5 years

>Attempting to get away from the Great Men story of the founding fathers, these scholars have incorporated ordinary people, African-Americans, Native Americans and women and placed the whole half-century in the broader contexts of the Atlantic World. In this more inclusive and nuanced telling of the republic's creation, Hamilton plays a cameo rather than leading role

??

are musicals the shittiest art form in existence?

>I don't like Great Man History, so what if things just happen because and there's no reason for anything
/his/ pls

That bit wasn't talking about the musical.....

I like how white men are "ordinary people." Probably not intended.

Anyway, a lot of the far left/tumblr left/hardcore commies hate this musical because of the slavery connection some founding fathers had, because they hate America in general, and overall they think it legitimizes those concepts. So it's probably ok for even Sup Forums to like it on that alone.

the white guy has the best songs anyway

what was it talking about then?

>that desperate nitpicking
btw hows that Hamilton boycott going?

I don't have that attitude. What will white people have if we just allow everyone to race change every fucking thing? Does it matter that we built the country (at least intellectual property maybe not "Built") if everyone in the world thinks black people did it?

I feel like blacks are already starting to think all these characters were really black then when something gets popular you have copycats, so whats next Black Lincoln, Black Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis (oh this black v white thing is soooo important right now)?

I am already told I can't have pride in anything white and I have no culture, so get erased from history too? Fuck that.

what am i leaving out?

>not that bad

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yIl1OIGzuDg

Totally bro, right up there with Sondheim

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kJnDHP7cH9I

I forgot to add: a lot of people also hate it because they think LMM is appropriating black culture.

If the Sup Forums types want to cause chaos and sow dissent, they're better off remembering a lot of race discourse basically is "racism=what US blacks hate, race=US blacks" to the exclusion of everyone else, and all other POC are expected to fall in line behind them -- or else they're racist too.

There is low-hanging fruit for them to exploit. It might not get them perfect white nazi germany but they sure as hell stake it through the hated SJWs and commies easily enough if the plan things out better.

good lord lol

people actually like this?

nigger culture has its full grips on america

You braindead piece of shit. Read the OP again before wasting more of my time.

15 years ago, if i told you there would be a rap musical about alexander hamilton on broadway, you would say "that's a good MadTV sketch idea"

its bretty gud

nice argument, i've truly changed my mind

This is as retarded as Neil Degrasse Tyson nitpicking pupular syfy movies...also, no, this is not Sup Forums related.

with unanimously positive critical reception

It really does need to be spelled out to you, doesn't it?

OP is pasting an extract from an article

The historian in the article says that the play is misleading because it overstates the importance of the founding fathers

The historian says that rather than focusing on this elite group of white men, we should look at, native Americans, blacks and women.

Got it? Here's a little extra for you

The historian is going against the view that this 'black' play is positive for black people because it's putting them in the white shoes who actually played a small part in the founding of the USA. Black people had a bigger part to play along with natives and women.

You utter, utter, idiot.

> in the white shoes who actually played a small part in the founding of the USA. Black people had a bigger part to play along with natives and women.

>there are people that unironically believe this

According to the historian.

In case your the confused person.

No one, not even the dumbest black or the most self loathing white liberal will believe the founding father were quirky colored singing men.

>a cast about diversity and inclusion
>the entire audience are obese white people
>only white people care
youtube.com/watch?v=aWlwrUFiuUw

tip top kek

...But then an even greater force emerged, the U.N.

and the U.N. un-nazied the world - forever.

what does this have to do with israel

>the view that a few great white men built the US is "outdated" because it's not in line with the political and cultural status quo of 2016
>the poor muhnorities will cry and feel ostracised if they're not pandered to! let's reinvent and rewrite their role in society
>here, have this article about the "first black wall street millionare to support this idea that blacks natives and women built the american society guize"

you're an utter, utter idiot

What's hilarious is that the Hamilton team recently got taken to court for discriminating against whites in hiring.

So much for "equality", lel.

I'm not saying I agree with the historian.

Is English your first language? Did you have trouble in school?

>According to the historian.

You realize literally any fucking shmuck can call themselves a "historian", right?

There are "historians" that believe the Holocaust didn't happen.

Do you have a point?

your lengthier post gave off a vibe of agreement

I was just stating facts. OP did this, the historian in the article said this etc. It was totally dispatched and meant to clear up the apparent confusion in what was being said.

> I, and many of my historian colleagues, would like to imagine that Hamilton is a last convulsion of the founding father mythology. But I suppose this is a daydream.

>literally injecting personal political biases into historical narratives

>The U.S. is a racist country founded by bigots
>The U.S. was founded by black people, Native Americans, and ordinary people

>an outdated narrative that a few great men built the country

Sounds like his opinion, I do this for a living and I've found very little literature out there supporting the school of WE WUZ KANGS.

History departments at colleges are now actively pursuing research that is driven by ideological concerns. you can blame dumb SJWs or whomever for ruining the field, but the reality is that history departments sold out in exchange for $$$ and assorted intangible social benefits, and they hand off the reigns to complete incompetents because they just dgaf anymore

No surprise that this show is popular in New York City, a capital nexus of Jewish brainwashing. This play represents unprecedented cultural sophistry and is likely to never be eclipsed so long as the American empire remains.

>is this /tv related?
It's a Sup Forums thread so i guess it is

speaking of that fella, how did he manage to marry a white woman in 1830's?

Inadvertently hilariously racist.

The image of black people dressed in 18th century clothing with powdered wigs speaking with the cadence and accents in an exaggerated way is unmistakably reminiscent to old minstrel shows and slave theaters where slave owners and citizens would dress up the Africans in "people" clothes and make them sing and dance and act out scenes for their amusement. It was sidesplittingly hilarious to them just to see black people dressed up like "normal people" and talking like they do, like putting hats on dogs.

The musical being full of that exact same imagery of the condescending and racist pageantry of that very historical time period is too ironic not to be funny, but also probably went completely over the heads of whoever was writing the show and producing it. They've literally recreated the exact circumstances of the past. Walking into Hamilton, sitting down, and watching the show, you're actually getting the historical experience of one of these racial minstrel's shows, having blacks dress up like foppish pre-Victorians and cavort about a stage for your entertainment.

I really don't know how they didn't see this when they were in previews.

unanimous critical praise, a near record amount of Tony wins, a platinum album, and a Pultizer Prize.

I've seen it. It's absolutely worth all of the praise.

things always return to their natural equilibrium. black people are dumb and funny, and rich white people pay to be entertained by them. it's inevitable that minstrel shows were, are, and will be a thing.

why?