Power Pop

Guys, I need some good power pop albums, I need to explore beyond Weezer and Ozma. Also power pop thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h3Lo91Z0h3Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dynamite Hack
Nerf Herder
The Red Hot Valentines
Reggie & the Full Effect

Big Star
Ovens
Cheap Trick (More Hard Rock)
Superdrag

cheap trick - in color (or a singles comp, honestly)
big star - #1 record
teenage fanclub - bandwagonesque

Listen to the Poptopia comps.

christ this is some ugly cover art

The late 90s / early 90s power pop boom was definitely lacking in good cover art, but do give the music a try.

Badfinger - No Dice
Raspberries - Starting Over
Big Star - #1 Record
Big Star - Radio City
Big Star - Third
The Nerves - One Way Ticket
Shoes - Present Tense
Cheap Trick - s/t
Cheap Trick - In Color
Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
The Boys - To Hell With The Boys
The Kind - Pain and Pleasure
20/20 - s/t
The Plimsouls - s/t
The Plimsouls - Everywhere at Once
The Knack - Get The Knack
The Vapors - New Clear Days
Dwight Twilley Band - Sincerely
The Beat - s/t
The Posies - Frosting on the Beater
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Fountains of Wayne - s/t
Fountains of Wayne - Utopia Parkway
Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
The Rentals - The Return of the Rentals
Harvey Danger - Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?

>early 90s
*early 00s

youtube.com/watch?v=h3Lo91Z0h3Q

Hostage calm self titled is very good

the pillows are essential power pop. Jellyfish is pretty mandatory as well, and for a bit of an unusual opinion - Nirvana would definitely fall into power pop, perhaps just veering more into noise rock. Heading back to the roots, The Who's early material in particular is a fountain for that. Teenage Fanclub's absolutely fantastic, especially the Bandwagonesque - Grand Prix - Songs from Northern Britain streak. A more new wave-like style can be found in The Cars' self-titled and Blondie's Parallel Lines.

Interestingly, you'll find that power pop is pretty much a constant in American and Japanese rock, even if in modified forms; in America due to being music that often crossed borders between radio, and later went on to be a big part of the first waves of alternative music in the US, with bands like Pixies and Descendents as big examples; but especially on the latter; their love for Cheap Trick has led to a lot of bands that have been inspired by power pop bands, because what no doubt many people who fell in love with Cheap Trick during the early 70's later on to make their own bands.
For Cheap Trick, just go for At Budokan. The complete one is particularly nice.

THIS

And Jellyfish. They're the band Jason Falkner was in, and they're some of the best power pop out there.

Ted leo and the pharmacists - tyranny of distance (some might say it's more emo but deff. Power pop)

One of the most underrated power pop bands out there. I never hear anyone mention these guys

Green Day's discography, cause they're close enough desu. Some albums are punkier, some are power pop-ier. Pic related is my favorite – it's when they show the greatest amount of styles they can do

Cheap Trick let me down *SO* fucking hard, y'all. The first album was absolutely fantastic....then every album after that ranged from "so meh I never have to hear it again" to "unbelievably devoid of any positive aspects" :(

Yeah, it's got a really unique sound that they've never really been quite able to compare. That said, have you given the Albini masters of In Color a listen?

I actually downloaded that just before my hard drive broke last year. I remember being worried still cause Cheap Trick 1997 was like a 2/5 :/

Guess I should try it out, though?
On the original I *love* the "Hello There" intro, but then only particularly cared for "Southern Girls", "Come On, Come On", and "I Want You to Want Me" beyond that :/ The closer was decent as well I think.

+ is it weird that I like that album version of I Want You to Want Me better than the hit version from At Budokan?

You should, it's got that whole energy from the first album that was lost in the original mixing of In Color.

seconding this. fantastic album

Alright, will give it a shot with an open mind. Thanks user!

remo drive
they sound a little like weeze