Did it HAVE to be closeups?

which ones are real?

None of them

The ones that don't look realer than real life

leia needs more wrinkles on her face and tarkin needs less

REALER THAN REAL LIFE

Who did it better?

at least George had the good sense not to try and make CG people look real
yeah there's that shitty younger Tarkin makeup but it was never meant for closeups, it looks just fine in the movie

Top right, bottom are both fake.

>CGI Leia more attractive

leia was fine, Tarkin was mostly in a dark room so he was just ok

Tarkin cgi is acceptable, possibly because of the darkness of the scene. Leia looks dumb, though. Still, not terrible enough to be too jarring in a theater, which, let's be honest, is the only thing anyone was thinking about while this movie was being made.

It was pretty cool and interesting to see as a tech demo, I'll admit, I was amazed at how far technology has come. But I REALLY hope this doesn't become a trend where every second main character is CG because the actor is old or dead or whatever. I hope it just stays as an interesting gimmick tech demo and that's it, I don't want these lifeless dolls to take up the screen in episode 8 and 9,

Whenever Tarkin moved his mouth it was like butter gliding far too gently, his movements were way too smooth for normal humans.

underrated comment

I'm not sure how no one else laughed when CGI Tarkin popped it, it instantly took me out of the movie because it made me remember I was just watching a film.

The CGI Tarkin was laughable, maybe it's because I saw it in 3D? It really was bad.

you only criticize it because you know its fake
My cousin didnt know who the fuck any of these people were and he never said anything about it, he thought it was all real until i told him

I saw it in theaters and my FIRST reaction to Leia was "who thought this cgi monstrosity was a good idea?"

too bad she looks real and you are full of shit

I think the problem was that they barely moved their heads while speaking. Instead every muscle in their face was quick-fire twitching and squirming in a very jerky and unnatural way.

is snook the guy at the bottom

i should confess i have only watched the newest star wars and no others

Fuck off satan

Don't mock the autistic

Too bad she doesn't

Peter Cushing looked like a cartoon character in real life
The Leia CGI looked off but it wasn't terrible

You think she told Vader?

Imagine the energy in the room... lest we mention "Force"... but we don't do that around Yoda.

t. Disney staff

I can't point out anything specific but it looks so off and bad. creepy head movements
It's a really big bummer if this is really the best they can do with this tech
this shit is going to look really bad in ten years

Her mouth doesn't look attached to her face.

>i saw it in 3d
There's your problem retard.

The way her mouth moves looks so fucking bad

Eh it's okay, still feels like a couple years until they'll be able to do this properly

anyone else start chuckling when this uncanny valley creature materialized on the movie screen?

No, I criticize it because it didn't look real. I had heard that there were CGI characters in the movie, so when I first saw Mon Mothma (redhead rebel leader woman) I was very impressed, as it looked just like the original actress. When I saw Tarkin, I was confused as to why he looked so bad in comparison. Only later did I find out that she wasn't CGI.

Point is, I was accepting of the idea of CGI characters going in. It's just that the CGI characters weren't as realistic as they could have been if they had kept them in the dark.

Same. I honestly couldn't help it

There's something ever so slightly unnerving about them but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly. Is this the uncanny valley?

Mon Mothma wasn't CGI

Finish reading posts in their entirety before replying.

Is she saying "Star Wars"?

Her eyes didn't move. Other than that, and the weirdness of them adjusting the aesthetic to over-saturated 1977 stuff, it looked alright. Tarkin looked weird by comparison, too waxy, and the angles looked "off", not natural enough when he moved or the camera changed angle.

The thing that gets me the most is that this could have worked perfectly fine without showing her face. Just seeing her back, hearing the soldier call her Princess and then hearing her speak would be enough. Of course Hollywood is full of hubris so they just HAD TO cgi a fake face.

Tarkin was too obvious because of the shadows. They shouldn't have had him in that one scene where you saw detailed shadows and lighting on their faces. CGI can't do that 100% yet.

When I saw Tarkin, I just laughed. Everyone else I went to see it with said they didn't even notice/think it was that bad. It's awful.

Saw it on 3D too, Tarkin was very obvious.

Might be less noticeable in classic 2D, not sure.

If I didnt know that cant be the original actor Id think that was a real person

didnt they used to make fucking aliens and shit

this is a joke

why did they give such small forehead to CGI Leai kek

In a few years we won't need entitled actors at all, it's going to be great

CG actor integration is seamless now; you fucking autistic neckbeards should stop pretending you can tell the difference

>go see movie with my dad
>on the drive home he brings up Tarkin
>"Man that guy was in the first movie right? It's crazy how he looks the exact same after all these years, I mean he was already pretty old in New Hope"
>"dad that was Peter Cushing"
>"okay? who's Peter Cushing?"
>"that guy is played by Peter Cushing. He died like 20 years ago. That was all CGI dad"
>"you're fucking joking"
>"are you?"
>"wow then I guess they don't even need to pay actors anymore, that looked 100% real"

I don't know whether to be more upset that he was legitimately fooled by the CGI or that he didn't know who Peter Cushing was

What the fuck

>it made me remember I was just watching a film.
this is a reddit criticism. this is not what you thought. this is just how memed opinions on the internet told you how to describe the problem

the problem is just that it looked really fucking stupid; that's it.
>those fucking huge eyes and inhuman movement of them
nope. and it looks even worse when it's not a shitty cam

what game is this?

i'd say the CGI. Your dad must have cataracts. He'll be blind soon.

>you will live to see the end of movie/tv celebrities

>t. Disneyshill

His eyesight is pretty decent with his contacts in, and both my mom and brother agreed with him that he looked real

Are normies just completely unable to tell or am I going crazy here, to me it looked okay enough but it was very, VERY clearly not an actual actor

>those clones in the back

Fucks sake

I saw this film twice in 2D, unless you are specifically looking for it Tarkin does not look obviously CGI.

Half the people I have talked to had no idea.

>he actually has pretty good eyesight, which I didn't inform in my first post
>also, two other people I didn't inform in my first post as well, also found the cgi really good
>well fellas, I guess we're just looking really hard into it, because all those "normies" find it good...

0,5 disneybucks were deposited in your account

To be honest while watching I thought they just hired someone that really, REALLY looked like Peter Cushing to play the part, never even crossed my mind that that was mostly CGI

Leia's CGI was weird though

DO they jump to lightspeed before credits? I saw it last night and it cut to credits right after she says "hope". It was real abrupt.

I was more bothered by whoever did Tarkin's voice work.

Christ you're a paranoid fuck

Your theatre fucked up, it pans over to the bridge window and then they go to lightspeed.

her mouth just hangs open

the mouth movements look robotic, like they were done with keyframe animation or something

None of my normie friends knew it was fake so I'd say it was bretty good.

it's a meme lad

your story is shit and you're bad at this though

yes but at least they just don't make shit up on incognito Myanmari creative writing boards

the theater fucked up on a uniform digital copy? Or one user remembered something incorrectly? Let's not forget how traumatic it was to see that CGI mess, causing the brain to purge.

Ah, shit that explains it. I was sort of hoping for Vader pursuing to end it instead of looking after the ship (in the vacuum of space?) and glowering. Did anyone think Vader's portrayal was real off? The suit was laughably bad and I heard more James Earl Jones than Vader, if that makes any sense.

>77
Star Wars was released in 1977

>77
see above

I thought CGI Leia wasn't too bad, CGI Tarkin was horrible though. First time he appeared I couldn't help but mumble to myself that he didn't look right, and the uncanny valley grew the longer he was on screen. Every time he emoted I felt uneasy. I was very impressed by the Young RDJ in Civil War, and I am completely shocked by how wrong it's gone here. Some people say it was ok because of the lighting, but it was the shadows on his face that really drew my attention to it.

After watching this a bunch of times, I'm a little annoyed by how her mouth hangs open after saying hope. Like she's trying to smile but she's really just flashing her teeth, then it becomes this awkward, unnatural motion as she brings her lips together. I didn't pick up on it at first probably because her appearance was so brief.

There's something about the face that's just off. It looks fine until she looks toward the camera. Looks like one of those morphsuits with a face printed on it really.

The CGI face transplants could've worked fairly well if they didn't have to be so in-your-face with them. Their hubris was too great, apparently. They thought their technology was so fucking great that they decided to have close-up shots that lingered on their faces for long lengths of time.

Tarkin was worse. Leia only appeared in one scene, and her CGI worked better because the character was young and had few blemishes. Tarkin, on the other hand, had many scenes and his face is old, angular, and has tons of wrinkles and other imperfections that make a proper CGI face much harder to pull off. That's why he ended up looking too "plasticky"

I wish they just had Tarkin shot from further away and didn't have the camera linger on his face while he talked for 30 second durations. It made it too obvious.

Personally I thought Tarkin looked better than Leia, probably because he was in shadow most of the time tbqh. Leia was pretty fucking bad though.

>"are you?"

Why did they make Leia fatter? They added like an inch to her chin also.

I've never followed star wars and its actors closely (i.e cushing's death) so I was legitimately fooled by CGI Tarkin. Granted I thought something about his appearance was "off" but it didn't make me think twice at all.

so right about leah and her mouth. they went for a subtle emote that a real human would do on a take. But we need something that's totally certain looking because the audience knows it's not real and is all ready half way to rejecting it.

this would have been a good idea.
mixing old and new and having the epidode 3 tarkin in existence is verging on Lucas levels of autism

Here's a quick fix.

Leia is shot from behind

Tarkin is shown through a hologram.

There you go. The CG would have been barely recognizable if at all recognizable. Although Leia's inclusion at all was a misstep in my book. She wasn't established at all in the film, so if you had never seen the OT you'd just go "who is this supposed to be?" But that can be said for basically every reference in this film.

I don't understand why people complain about Tarkin. I think he looks great. Leia on the other hand looks terrible.

Right side looks fake as fuck, like wax dummies.

>"what is it?"
>"It's Star Wars: A New Hope"

jfc Disney c'mon

Tarkin looked like a wax sculpture

>He didn't know Peter Cushing was dead
Marlon Brando and James Dean died a while ago too, just fyi

Leia's mercifully short screen time helped, but the mouth did look a bit off at the end. Tarkin was obviously CGI, the "plastic-ness" of it was pretty jarring. It's harder to replicate Cushing's face because he was very angular and wrinkled. They did the best they could but Tarkin still seemed off and uncanny valley was really in effect.

It was a tech commercial

"Leave Vader to me."

> Tarkin was obviously CGI
maybe in 3d but not in the 2d screening

Why not get someone who looks like Peter Cushing? This is just pure shit

How old did you think he was when filming A New Hope?
Because that movie came out 40 years ago.

Exactly. It's fucking retarded. It's also going to set a shitty precedent in movies where everyone is going to do CGI recreations to keep characters around.

They did. Then layered the CGI overtop of him

Thats even dumber

Leia was fine, but Tarkin was obviously CGI. I don't even know how you can defend that.

Nah, I saw it in 2D with my friends last night and we all agreed that Tarkin was "off" from the get-go. We all knew Cushing had died and they were gonna replace him, but it was still a bit jarring, especially during his longer dialogue parts.

The real interesting part is "who owns a likeness".

Did the estate of Peter Cushing get paid?

If not, why not use Cary Grant or Clark Gable in your next movie?

The tech is just going to get better with time, mocap solves a lot of issues, you can already animate people from news footage into saying whatever you want.