Theory fag turns out to have zero worthwhile creativity or artistic flair and instead relies on gimmicky tricks to show...

>theory fag turns out to have zero worthwhile creativity or artistic flair and instead relies on gimmicky tricks to show off

what a surprise !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4v3zyPEy-Po
youtube.com/watch?v=BfbFc9Mde44
youtube.com/watch?v=-uIkB82LrYI
youtube.com/watch?v=IQb_sVykRQs
youtube.com/watch?v=GZgR2rXsRC0
youtube.com/watch?v=3tfgaB0-tXM
youtu.be/yWldf0v8TaU?t=2m34s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh, well. Theory is still great and useful to know and a very good DESCRIPTIVE tool.

theory can only limit you if you let it

youtu.be/4v3zyPEy-Po
This guy knows 100× more theory than Adam yet makes beautiful yet subtly complex music in case you retards thought learning theory turns you in to a robot

Adam's an educational channel though lmao.

Have you seen his gig vlogs? He's a very practical and groovy bass player when he's in that role

wow
just wow
that was really really super gay

I fucking hate this guy's voice

What are you talking about? This sounds like the music you would hear in a fucking insurance commercial.

he'd lack artistry with or without theory. but by all means use this to justify limiting yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=BfbFc9Mde44

Completely braindead

Go shill your shitty elevator music somewhere else, Jacob

youtube.com/watch?v=-uIkB82LrYI

>implying he knows theory.

You do realize that most if not all the artists you listen to use theory right?

>theory is bad
>ignore the fact that anything past dixieland jazz is heavily theory based

also he makes some alright shit, I just think you want to find a reason to shit on theory because you're too much of a brainlet for it

youtube.com/watch?v=IQb_sVykRQs

Why is it only music that people shit on the theory of? I have never heard someone go "Oh, only bad, uncreative painters learn color theory. It limits you." That's stone cold retarded. Film theory is widely respected among film fans/creators. Could you imagine if someone said "Oh, you know how to shade? You must be an uncreative artist."

The absolute memery of it. Why is music the only art that people ree at the idea of deconstructing?

because muh feel bruh, darn kids be playin ol' guitar only doin them technical wankery

Because music is the most pedestrian, passively engaged form of art and one that gets appropriated for fashion purposes the most. Learning theory signifies a genuine interest in it as an art form and therefore the dilettantes become insecure about it and throw a shitfit.

Things like movies take some actual commitment to get into, as in you have to at least sit the fuck down and watch it. Even the most casually interested person will sit down and dedicate an hour of his attention to it. Ask any regular schmuck when was the last time s/he actually just lied down, set aside all distractions and just listened to an album without engaging in any other activity whatsoever? Even your average Sup Forums drooler doesn't do this. They're just here to post their 3x3s and RYM accounts. That's the purpose music serves. A cheap whore used to fill in the empty space where one's personality should be.

At least he is better than Andrew Huang

Does reading the album's lyrics count as "doing something else"?

he's a pseud. Just like 99% of all youtube theory channels. thinks he's really deep for adding the sisyphus myth into his videos, using really cheesy gifs and metaphors. I can't stand him honestly.
I once saw him go into a 10-20 minute long analysis of some 2 bar composition that sounded like pure ass. But muh i did jazz in college so I know what I'm talking about

Not really as you're engaging in getting an understanding of the musical work, although I try to read them beforehand or afterwards because I feel like it draws my attention away too much from the instrumentation if I do it while listening.

Is this pasta? It's pretty spicy.

damn man i like andrew

>anything that is more than 10 words is pasta
Shouldn't you be updating a RYM page or something?

i mean, he has some good ideas but the music he makes just feels so bland. i always get the feeling that a more skilled musician could do so much more with his way of sampling. (also checked)

holy fucking wank

dude can play but he should stop making music

i really don't care about charts honestly. I just wanna discuss music, so I post in the occasional worthwhile thread. But I agree most of it's self indulgent trash

No need to be upset friendo, I like your post :^)

Wow, you nailed it, bravo

soyboys unite

jacob collier literally has no taste at all. his music is soulless and bland and boring and just total shit

it boggles my mind that people would ever want to listen to his music

kek

why does he do that stupid fucking thing with his voice? sounds like he's putting a piece of cloth in front of his mouth when he sings

Just a reminder that theory comes after the practice.
Musicians and composers were already employing e.g. chord progressions before theories were penned down by mathematicians/philosophers.

those are some of the ugliest harmonies i've ever heard in my life. i'm not joking.

also his cover of In My Room is an abomination

youtube.com/watch?v=GZgR2rXsRC0

this

fucking stupid ass fake inflections are the worst thing to ever happen to music

this is pretty gay desu senpai

it's cuz he's not that great a vocalist outside of backing vocal duties

artificially darkens his voice way too much for leads and is also melodyne'd a bunch

I appreciate his chord turnarounds, especially from a jazz perspective, but he shouldn't sing his own songs

he's a pussy who makes pretentious music to be impressive but it's not half as bad as you're all making it out to be

Mark E Smith didn't die for this

ikr, it's decent but he should not do it in such a pretentious manner. I like the music, but not the presentation

Angry Music for Autist Orchestra Volume III

what kind of music do you listen to?

youtube.com/watch?v=3tfgaB0-tXM

>I have never heard someone go "Oh, only bad, uncreative painters learn color theory. It limits you."

I'm an artist. Have you paid ANY attention to the last 100 years of art?

It doesn't look like Neely's heart is in it. He has the same expression as an abused animal. The other guy is really getting into it

>using people like Neely and Jacob Collier to demonstrate that theory isn't worthwhile

Have you learned what an "A chord" is on a guitar? Congratulations, you have taken part in music theory.

But yeah, like said, this is a mindset entirely had by people who view popular music as a means to how people perceive them -- and then act as if cycling through flavor-of-the-month bands somehow makes them better appreciators of art. Obviously youtube theorists are annoying, but to dismiss theory entirely is such a weird ridiculous sentiment cooked up by people who view music as an entertainment industry (i.e the blogosphere) rather than an art form

Learn the rules so you can better break the rules. The two aren't mutually exclusive. That has been how art progresses for centuries.

he is a very talented producer underneath the shitty clickbait facade but he doesnt have much songwriting ability

Damn, you're right. I don't think theory is necessary to make great music but the populist trend music culture has taken is probably to blame. It's also not just that film takes commitment to watch but also to create. Anyone can pick up a guitar play a few chords and torture an audience at an open mic while still genuinely believing that they're an "artist." I think most films of any passable quality require much more effort to create than the average song i.e. exponentially more effort put into 5 minutes of film than 5 minutes of song (unless you count Youtube-tier vlogs or something which I don't).

He thinks he's way smarter than he actually is but his stuff can definitely be useful at points and I find it entertaining usually. What really killed his credibility as a musician for me though was when he tried to "improve" on a fan-submitted piece and ended up making it way worse. The original actually has some groove to it, the new one just sounds like wank.

youtu.be/yWldf0v8TaU?t=2m34s

I also noticed him throwing a hissy fit on the comments threatening to cancel the series. Strikes me as pretty insecure.

>Learn the rules so you can better break the rules. The two aren't mutually exclusive. That has been how art progresses for centuries.

I don't think that was his point. I think he's saying that art culture has moved in the same anti-elitist/populist direction that music culture has.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that elitism is a good thing when it comes to art generally. At least the art I'm drawn to has always been made by educated, ambitious people.

My point was that a lot of artists do not learn color theory and some schools of thought and institutions encourage people to actively learn nothing about such techniques at all. Some people consider the entire idea irrelevant to modern artistic techniques and media

That vaporwave "recreation" he did was fucking awful.

That's what I took you to mean though in my view that would be a move towards populist/anti-elitist culture. Though if the institutions are the elite and they too are moving against theory what does that mean? Are my definitions of elitism/populism inaccurate? Are some institutions moving against elitism?

Who cares how it's done if it sounds good? Wankers, that's who.

Awful voice

if this faggot marketed his music like steve lacy or one of those gay bandcamp kids you would all suck his pee pee

People who want to understand how it's done so they can do it themselves. People who take pleasure in understanding how something is constructed.

>all this shit talk about theory
Whats the big deal? Everybody learns about it in school, if you play an instrument, decide to study music or do it on your own.
Are you just talking about the significance of it from a listeners perspective or what?

>zero worthwhile creativity or artistic flair
And yeah, knowhing theory doesn't meaning anything in those terms, and you dont need to. For some people music is exploratory. Just think about the modus 3 scale. I know a Jazz musican who had to perform freely with that, and it took him more than a year to really move freely just for this one scale. Normal listeners wouldn't have gotten anything out of it, but the people who wanted that, totally got. You would probably call that uncreative too if you'd heard it, but technically it was amazing and a hard scale that fucked with three decades of learning.

>implying vaporwave can be good
the track has really cool drumming, and if you want for it to sound like actual vaporwave, just fucking slow it down

This

This. Kiddies pretend to like music that's just a single guitar chord drowned in reverb because it's the only music they can make if they're unwilling to learn theory. It allows them to act as if they appreciate the art form without actually doing so.

Comparing auditory art with visual art is retarded. The brain is completely hardwired to interpret visual and auditory stimuli in substantially different manners. This is why it is much easier to do something else while listening to music. That being said, I do agree that deep musical analysis requires complete undisturbed focus. I, along with many others, do this all the time. It sounds to me like you've never met a musician in your life.

you sound like a faggot

>Comparing auditory art with visual art is retarded.
The only one retarded here is you.
>This is why it is much easier to do something else while listening to music
And get fuckall out of it. See how much of a spoken lecture you actually soak up while you spend the entire time playing some shitty game on your mobile phone. Protip, you never see those kind of people past year 1. Auditory stimulus is just as demanding as any other and when you're dividing your attention between multiple sources your knowledge retention as well as what you pick up goes to shit. Try an audio book on some technical topic and see how much you get out of it while listening to it and simultaneously shitposting on Sup Forums. And it's not just that. It displays an attitude that is completely lacking in interest. If you can't even find the drive to focus your attention on an album without getting distracted by something else, how can you possibly begin to think you give even the slightest shit about music?

Art is valued for it's ability to connect with people's emotional needs. This can happen without complete focus. There are people that learn how to create moving artwork intuitively by listening, some people learn by copying others, some people learn by studying theory. It all has value and it all leads to differently balanced art. Variety has value

Nailed it.

>adam is bad because my brainlet mind can’t understand basic theory
lmao

I unironically liked this but I can't blame anyone else for hating it. It's similar to a blend of Pet Sounds era Beach Boys mixed with Bon Iver and Disney-esque pop sensibility. Pretty fucking gay but not inherently unenjoyable.

Once again, you are completely ignorant of context or nuance. How is a lecture or audiobook in any way comparable to a musical experience? When your mind processes music it does so within the variables of time and tonal ratios (gross oversimplification for the sake of argument). In the case of a language format with abstract concepts you are parsing words, sentences, paragraphs and connecting and forming ideas. Yet a three note chord alone is filled with enough information to evoke an emotional response. Also did you not read to the part where I agreed proper music appreciation requires full attention? I was merely making a case for those who listen in the background. A better example would be this: What is easier, navigating without hearing, or without sight? This should give some one insight into how we as humans utilize our senses differently in the world.

Critical theory, race theory and gender theory are all widely shat upon, and justly so.

>dilettantes
This is how far I got before realizing what was up.