What is music? How do you define it?

What is music? How do you define it?

Sounds.

vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

sounds you consciously listen to and enjoy

Anything that makes noise. I could slap my shoe against a table and call it music if I wanted to.

music?

>sounds you consciously listen to and enjoy
So you're telling me if I hear sounds on the radio and do not enjoy them, those sounds don't qualify as music?

music is pretty nice. and its also pretty nice.

Some words don't need definitions.

yes, unless someone else disputes you

user, that's a terrible definition.

intentional arrangements of sounds.

What if you record sounds that were not intentional but still sounded like music?

prove it

The definition of "definition" is, "A statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary."
Meaning it can't be based on personal/anecdotal opinion. It HAS to be concrete fact.

what constitutes music is entirely subjective and subjective things cannot be fact
music being good or not is an objective thing

yum yum sound noise

The sound of my keyboard typing sage in all fields

depends on where you stand on your definition of ambient music. Ive heard albums of bird noises and waves, but idk if you can call that music or just a recording

this sounds like some shit a faggot in a first year university music course would say.

Sounds recorded in order to be listened to by someone. Prove me wrong.

What if they're not recorded?

Audiobooks

>he listens music

That is so wrong it's laughable

Melody, harmony, and rhythm
Rap is not music btw

>recorded speech
>live musical performance
>a written score

noises in a sequence

Sounds made or listened to for the purpose of enjoyment or mood/tone enhancement.

Prove me wrong.

Deliberate manipulation of sound waves, including written instruction of how to manipulate sound waves (i.e. sheet music), regardless of intended objectives, if any.

can you rec me some post-music?

Music can be written and not played.
If I listen to medieval middle eastern music (or any music for that matter) for the purpose of anthropological understanding, and feel no enjoyment of it, does it cease to be music? It doesn't. Try again.

McDonalds if you are new to the genre.
Mental institutions and kindergartens if you want to climb the ladder.
Morgues and cemeteries are quite patrician.

Written music isn't music. It's a script; a baseline for music to be played from, but not music in itself.

SOMETHING THAT COME OUT OF MY WEINER, JUMPING AND SCREAMING

For me, it's anything with melody. Doesn't matter if it's simple, complex, or harmonizes with another melody.

What if it's atonal?
Are drum solos not music?