This is the pinnacle of krautrock

This is the pinnacle of krautrock

Imagine being part of an important and boundary pushing genre in the 70's just to find out that decades later only losers and hipsters on the internet remember your music

>not Neu! - Neu!
pleb desu

More people recognize it now days then they did back then. I don't they mind that they've become acquired a large cult fanbase thanks to the internet.

All pop since the 80s, all hip-hop with any electronic element, all dance music since the early 80s... is indebted to and directly contingent on Kraftwerk.

All the cosmic synth influence since the 00s is indebted to Tangerine Dream.

All minimalist rock approach since the 70s is directly or indirectly influenced by Neu!

Psych music in the 00s and 10s is much more influenced by German bands than by English or American ones.

Profoundly influential figures in the 70s like Bowie and Eno were profoundly inspired by these various German bands, in various ways.

etc. etc.

Kraftwerk were only krautrock in their early days, which are massively overlooked and didn't really influence anyone.
Tangerine Dream can hardly be considered rock music at all
Psych music in the 00's and 10's are mostly influenced by Pink Floyd

'Krautrock' is virtually meaningless beyond pointing in the direction of a bunch of post-psychedelic German acts in the 70s who experimented in very different, but very influential approaches. It's not like these bands considered themselves a movement or called themselves 'krautrock'. The fact that so many of them were going beyond rock is one good reason 'krautrock' was a terrible name. Even the more rock bands were often going more into drone or ambience.

But anyways, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Kraftwerk, etc., is all absolutely mentioned in surveys of this era of post-psychedelic experimentalism.

One thing that's interesting about this phase of German bands is that it was SO groundbreaking that some of it would be massively influential on punk and post-punk, the very rebuttal to psychedelia, but also contain the influences / ideas / approaches that followed after punk - when punk became outmoded and especially couldn't really adapt or thrive after the 00s, by which point all this 'kraut' / kosmische music had become one of the most important influences.

That's not Tago Mago

call me a pleberian but tango mango is my fav krautrock album

Stockhausen is the most influental contemporary composer ever then (at least in pop music)

>All minimalist rock approach since the 70s is directly or indirectly influenced by Neu!
Can did it first, Neu! just took it to its logical conclusion

>psych music in the 00s and 10s is mostly influenced by Pink Floyd
Uh wrong sir. Its mostly influenced by krautrock or rather the motorik beat, literally hundreds of bands doing the kraut space jam thing these days, sure some bands are too unknown or experimental to be applied to your half-assed opinion, but the main drive is that beat and the mad synths. The only influence these new age bands harness from Pink Floyd comes mostly from meddle or piper, even Brian Jonestown Massacre has more influence these days then Floyd.

Using sounds and electronics, and how his experiments influenced The Beatles and Can... I suppose, but he was really against repetition, and even Can looped / grooved a lot, and if most electronic music used repetitions. And I don't think very many electronic dance artists were knowingly influenced by him at least. Their uses of sounds and samples is more like a hybrid of evolving influences coming out of house/industrial/hip-hop. Early industrial might have had some Stockhausen influence but hip-hop and house is more influenced by Kraftwerk and their use of electronics is much more repetitive and pop than Stockhausen liked things.

I'm not downplaying his importance, or influence even in 'kraut' music, but it seems to me that the real new music emerges when experimental electronic and sound approaches merge with pop via psychedelic exploration, and in the long run it seems the Germans did that in the most forward looking and profound way.

Should have proof-read that post.

*even Can loop / grooved, and most electronic music since uses repetitions

Imo Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei

>'Krautrock' is virtually meaningless
I know people say this a lot, but I can't be the only one that hears a distinct sound shared across all these bands
All of them were taking the ideas of psychedelia and prog and fusing them with a strict minimalist approach, whether it was motorik or the repetitive arpeggios of Tangerine Dream and Ash Ra
It makes sense given their backgrounds - members of Can, Kraftwerk, and Ash Ra Tempel all studied academically under composers or at conservatories

was thinking the same thing yesterday on a walk
its sad how little credit they get
even this record was pretty influential for techno and house music

Can't handle the real thing?

People only pretend this is better because it's "le deep" and they want to drone CLT/Scaruffi. IV is clearly better.

i fucking hate your writing style.
just felt id let you know

>I don't get it therefore no one likes it
It's literally just slightly difficult prog rock. Also, Faust IV is fantastic, but it doesn't hold a candle to S/t.

I didn't say I didn't like it, in fact it took less time for this album to "click" (pretty much first listen") than it did for IV (thought it was boring garbage for quite a while). After listening to both thoroughly it's clear IV is musically better but s/t has """""deep""""" """""extra-musical"""" """"""""themes"""""""" that appeal to tryhards hence why it's the cooler album to like

when I first got into mopeds this album was recommended to me by the owner of treatland and still today it's one of my favorites. "Jennifer" is my song off it and had to listen to when I saw this thread

sorry
I knew I couldn't say what I wanted without sounding like a pretentious pseud so I just gave in

IV is the 3rd best Faust album after Tapes and s/t. Pic related is #1 kraut

I honestly just love love love S/t. Not really pretending at all, and I did have a phase of pseud shit, and I pretty much outgrew all of it except Faust.

It's just so fun and engaging, donnou.

Why do you think IV is "superior" musically?

just bought this album yesterday, and holy shit it is underrated; Inventions for Electric Guitar is similarly hypnotic, melodic, and interesting
>not even the best Harmonia album

It's by far the closest Faust ever came to making pop music and is the easiest to digest. It's the Faust album for people who don't like krautrock in general. It was my favorite of their albums when I first started exploring the genre in my teens.

Radiohead wouldn’t exist without Can.

I guess I can see liking Deluxe more than Musik Von if you're the type of person who prefers NEU! over Cluster, but I am definitely not one of those people.

>Tapes
Nice meme.
It's objectively s/t = IV > So Far > Tapes FYI

What similarities do they have?

I'm actually just shitposting. Im drunk right now so you'll haveto excuse me. Both are great and I can see why someone would prefer s/t but IV stuck more with me in the long run because I guess I think it's just more varied and seems more like they were trying to create good music rather than trying to send some kind of message.

I guess this is true if you grew up on pop music and never really had an interest in experimental music. Personally I found s/t by far the most accessible of all their albums but I grew up listening to prog and psych and I've always been kind of an avant-teen so I can see why other people would have a different experience.

Oh Yeah off of Tago Mago sounds right at home on Kid A and Amnesiac. TKOL in particular sounds like a more electronically driven modern take on Can.

Agreed