The Great Debate

What is the best Star Wars lightsaber battle?
strawpoll.me/11968676

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4
youtu.be/8fP7YJtjbZY
youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
youtu.be/INO6vkYh-5I
youtube.com/watch?v=sVk_X7BEZes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Obi Wan vs Anakin hands down.

both luke vs vader duels are so far above all the others, only discussion should be which of those two are better

Which one? :^)

Luke vs Vader ESB > Luke vs Vader ROTJ > Obi-Wan v Anakin ROTS

The rest are not good enough to get a mention.

are we talking choreography? or story impact?

>that one guy who keeps bringing up the prequels

You should follow in Carrie Fishers footsteps, asap

Voted for Obi vs. Vader from IV

Was the most embarassing hands down.

Why you lyin

III

Sheev v. Yoda

>three duels in the OT
>five hundred thousand in the PT
what did lucas mean by this?

best king novel

youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4
>not voting for this kino
fucking plebs

So why don't you give it a vote, then?

Luke vs Vader fights are better when you realize they were directed to handle their lightsabers like they had a lot of weight to them, like a medieval great sword. In the Jedi Knight games, it'd be like a red stance.

also why is this is not on the list?
youtu.be/8fP7YJtjbZY

Because the lightsabers are only on one side.

hipster faggots will unironically vote for New Hope's Obi-Wan vs. Vader

it was good for the time but ultimately it's just an unimpressive geriatric kendo session

Qui Gon and Obi Wan vs. Maul had the best score, and most interesting outcome in the form of 2 major deaths. nobody gave a shit about the flaws in the choreography either until some redditor memed that youtube video about it into the zeitgeist.

Duel of Fates

if this desert battle went on. it would have been best but it would have taken away from finale. I mean I don't know why we can't have two awesome duels.

I can't believe the duel at the end of episode II isn't getting more love

I hated TFA, but that lightsaber battle at the end was fucking amazing. Puts all the rest to shame honestly.

One thing I never got though is why Jacen Solo repeatedly punches himself in the gut in that one scene.

Obi-Wan & Qui gon vs Maul + Duel of the fates makes it the best duel in Star Wars history easily.

youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

>I hated TFA, but that lightsaber battle at the end was fucking amazing. Puts all the rest to shame honestly.

You can't be serious.

channeling hatred

>Bespin only in third
I'm disappointed in the lot of you.

How can that god awful choreography in Duel of Fates even be #2?

Hipster faggots? More like "story faggots." You're right about the actual fight being unimpressive and I agree it's the worst, but consider the following:

>Obi and Vader meeting for the first time since Obi forced him to become a cyborg on permanent life support.

>Obi is committing an act of self-sacrifice for the greater good.

>The last human (white male) Jedi dying to a soulless corporate shill who's more machine than man (nuMale).

Anyone who says anything but Vader vs Luke, be it either one, needs to be chemically castrated.

Duel of Fates

>return of jedi luke vs vader
no discussion

the music with the final duel fits just as well as duel did for.. well the duel.

Rey vs Kylo was epic

I prefer the stylized acrobatic duels over the slow boring ones from the original. I was these new Star Wars would bring them back and maybe they wouldn't be as shitty as they are now.

Considering Mauls "death" major is laughable, but I guess compared to the rest of the movie it is somewhat fitting

As much as I love ROTJ, I'd have to go with Bespin. Luke just manages to get by by the skin of his teeth and there are a lot of tense moments. He's clearly outmatched , but still menages to get a few hits in on Vader that prove that he's not wholly incompetent and to foreshadow Luke's eventual victory in the next movie. The set pieces on Bespin are more visually interesting than the Emperor's throne room, and what movie either today or back then would have the courage to take off the main character's hand? Then there's the reveal and Luke's daring escape which are both some of the more famous parts of Star Wars.

Man, I love the Bespin fight

youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

Luke vs Vader (VI) > The Rest

The rage on Luke's face as he literally overwhelms Vader

BRAVO LUCAS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

>unironically like the fight scenes in the original trilogy

please take off your fucking nostalgia glasses holy shit

His gut had just gotten shot with Chewie's bowcaster, the one that was blasting stormtroopers backwards like it was a John Woo flick. He was hitting it because he was having trouble keeping his gut together and wanted to keep his core muscles tight.

I agree. I think bespin is my all time favorite moment in any of the movies. I really don't get how people can say any of the prequel duels come close to it.

not star wars

>when the senate hits

Ummmmmm I'm pretty sure it was Star Wars: The Force Awakens so you're wrong

not in star wars head canon

>Luke just manages to get by by the skin of his teeth
Vader never wanted to kill Luke on Bespin. He wanted to capture him and take him to the Emperor. Vader could have killed Luke, especially after cutting off his hand, but he gives him the choice to join him. Luke is the one who chooses probable death over joining Vader.

I think one of the important parts of that fight is that there was a clear divide when Vader stopped fucking about, and Luke didn't fold immediately when he did.
He didn't last particularly long, true, but he fended him off for a while and even got a hit in.

The one against Maul is the fight where they put the most effort, even if the conclusion was bulls.

Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul in Ep. I has more votes than Luke vs Vader on Bespin? Plebs go back to r/movies.

>eatablished in the beginning of movie Jedis can run super fast
>Obi-Wan unable to catch up to Qui-Gon and Darth Maul

>Darth Maul has higher ground
>Obi-Wan jumps over him
>Darth Maul doesn't cut off his legs

>we didn't give a fuck about Darth Maul
>we didn't give a fuck about Qui-Gon
>looked practiced and coreographed

check'd

Yeah, after Luke gets a hit in, Vader stops fucking around and cuts off his hand.

I'd say the RotJ was better than ESB.

Obi-Wan's monologue to Anakin on Mustafar is a superior scene than any of them, but oh well, lightsaber duels r kool i guess.

foreshadowing their struggle in bed

Jesus Christ, do we really have such a concentration of ADD riddled plebs on the board?

the OT had shit choreography,

Luke vs Vader II was basically Luke pummeling Vader like he was using a baseball bat.

KINO fight scene.

What are you even talking about, reddit is the biggest haven for OT apologists like you.

come and watch star wars here

cytu dot be/r/lord-of-the-memes

>Vader never wanted to kill Luke on Bespin

Exactly what I was talking about. Luke was way out of his league, an barely held his own against Vader, even though he was going easy on Luke. Made the fight really tense.

Kylo's sword looks retarded. Having little lightsabers as guards is the dumbest idea, they're a danger to the wielder and serve no purpose. They just did it so it looks more like an actual sword.

>Luke pummeling Vader like he was using a baseball bat.
Yes, like a real sword fight.

>Obi-Wan vs. Vader (Death Star) (IV) 6 votes

I'm disappointed

>the OT had shit choreography
TPM really made a point at showing that. Then AOTC and ROTS went with retarded anime tier fights.

That's part of why it was good. Vader had threatened to turn Leia if he couldn't get Luke and it sent him into a mad rage. By the end he's overpowered Vader and they weren't even fighting anymore, he had Vader on the ground and he was just viciously pummeling him with his saber over and over. He only stopped when he cut his hand off and the parallel to what happened with himself brought him out of it.

There's no fight scene with the raw emotion or build-up like Luke v Vader in the Death Star II.

>implying the OT needs to be apologized for

I think you missed the point of that scene.

I cannot believe that Star Wars is literally too deep for you

>that atrocious background CGI
>that atrocious acting

>two jedi knights can't even see Sheev coming as he charges and stabs them
No wonder the jedi got BTFO, they're fucking incompetent retards

>Have characters that have supernatural abilities.
>Fans get upset when they stylishly incorporate those abilities into duels
>Muh OT duels are best duels
Holy fucking shit you guys are the worst and while I enjoyed the OT the prequels are hands down much better in terms of the duels.

>one of the most easy scenes to interpret
>still couldn't grasp the point
Jesus Christ, drink chlorine and clean up the gene pool

Duels in the OT look like actual sword fights
Duels in the prequels are overly choreographed bullshit because "people spinning on their feet and doing juggling tricks with their sabers=cooler and better"

luke and vader on esb and rotj

telling someone to go to reddit is just another way of saying they have shit taste

anyone who thinks anything from the prequels is better than the bespin duel, has shit taste

>spastically sailing about is style
You can Keep it

why do OTfags get triggered so easily?

where did luke get his green lightsaber from again?

My question is why don't the Jedi ever use their Bankai?

Why are PTfags so easily triggered?

He made it. He and Vader talk about it on Endor.

>OT duels

old/untrained sword fights

>prequel duels

No other word to describe them other than embarrassing

From the fact that the blue didn't work well with the tattooine backgrounds, so they changed it.

where's the vader v. rebel troopers (RO) option?

>the OT had shit choreography
As opposed to the prequels' amazing anime-tier garbage?

1. Luke vs vader ESB
2. Maul vs obiwan and qai gon
3. Luke vs vader rotj
4. Obiwan vs vader ANH
5. Sheev vs Dindu
6. Obiwan vs vader RotS
7. Obiwan vs grevious
8. Cylo Gren vs finn and rey
9. Obiwan and anakin vs dooku
10. Obiwan and anikin amd yoda vs dooku

This is pretty much inarguable

Its brutal and the strikes have a lot of weight to them. It feels like an actual swordfight instead of tapping rods (OT) or dancing (PT). I love it.

The best one in regards to the story being told is probably the one at the end of Return of the Jedi but my favorite has always been and will always be the one at the end of the Phantom Menace

>Duels in the prequels are overly choreographed bullshit
It only start to get out of hand with AotC, the final battle between Anakin and Obiwan is pure autism.

No matter what anyone says, the fact that a girl who has literally never had any training in either the force or sword fighting manages to beat a Sith apprentice simply cannot be justified.
>b-b-b-b-b-b-but if you call her a mary sue you're a sexist pig!! muh strong womyn!!

>no Rey vs Kylo

Shit meme poll OP.

>TPM is retroactively bad because of ROTS

Found the babby.

Definitive Order

Luke v Vader Empire>Luke v Vader Jedi>Rey v Kylo>Maul v Obi & Jinn>Vader v Obi > Yoda v Palpatine>Palpatine v Windu>Jinn v Maul on Tatooine> Obi v Anakin>Anakin v Dooku Sith>Anakin and Obi v Dooku Clones > Yoda v Dooku

I hated the way they actually slowed down of them fighting at one point just to build tension.

Do you also watch interpretive dances for fun, you raging faggot?

This fight was better youtu.be/INO6vkYh-5I

as anime as it was, I enjoyed seeing a Jedi fight at it's full potential.

Style over substance. Th PT fights look just like my Japanese animes, which are cool, but there's nothing behind them since every character is boring and unlikable.

You can do over the top super stylized fights and make the audience care. Sword of the Stranger did it:

youtube.com/watch?v=sVk_X7BEZes

The only reason it worked was because the entire movie makes you care about the main character. Nanashi is principled, kind to animals, and looks after Kotaro through the entire movie.

Meanwhile there is nothing likable about Anakin. He murders people, screams at others, creeps on Natalie Portman, and talks behind Obi-wan's back. Obi-wan himself is alright, but boring. We never really see what makes him tick, so even his fights are a snoozefest. You care even less about the villains like Dooku or Grevious, since they're competently flat.

The fights just don't have much weight behind them. They're not even technically impressive since they're just PS2 figures animated on a green screen. I really can't see how someone can say that the PT fights are better than the OT.

>Duels in the OT look like actual sword fights

Not really. They look like actual laser sword fights. You need to put weight behind a sword.

Jedi are known for being clumsy and burning themselves with their lightsabers.

I see, honestly I just skip the whole movie until the lightsaber fight nowadays so I forgot that. Shouldn't he be fucking dead if he got shot though?

I didn't mention ROTS at all. Reading comprehension: 0

Found the babby.

Man, every time I say I want to rewatch the Highlander, I stop at the first fight when they do the cartwheels

Nobody should ever be allowed to call Star Wars fights anime tier without having seen Highlander