/daily/ - "ded" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

knobcreek.bandcamp.com/music
knobcreek.bandcamp.com/album/-
clyp.it/xcdz1h0h
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hulda-huima-mustat-kalsarit/hulda-huima-ja-mustat-kalsarit-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

givingbear to answer your question listen to Silver by Starflyer 59 if you haven't already, I think you'd really enjoy it.

bois

Anyone here listened too to the bow church last album. It's kinda cool, I'd give it a 6/10 on my side. I'd say it's Witch House but more evolved, don't know how to define it though.

Ok guys, I think it's time we wrap it up. We had a good run.

CDs

Silvio Rodríguez - "Al final de este viaje..." (1978)
>nueva trova

Días y flores is a political album in and of itself of course, but it's lyrical themes are still quite optimistic, calm, and generally hopeful for the state of the world, and these lyrical themes are backed up by the music itself—full-bodied and likeable, Rodríguez' vocals and guitar being backed up by a full chamber orchestra. Here, three years later, Rodríguez' lyrics are much more pointed and obviously political, and he's stripped down his sound to feature just himself and his guitar. It's an oustandingly passionate and melancholic album, bolstered by passionate vocal performances and interesting song structrures. I can't help but miss the more diverse sonic qualities of this album's predecessor, but they are both wonderful albums in their own rights.

3.0+

Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth (1996)
>east coast hip hop, gangsta rap, boom bap, hardcore hip hop

I really should revisit The Infamous, but as it stands I like this quite a bit more. Lyrically, The Infamous is obviously superior. It's more conscious, heady, emotionally potent, and just all around better. Hell on Earth is much more desolate, crime-ridden, and violent, and while this might not be as sophisticated, Havoc and Prodigy are still able to paint really vivid pictures of these themes, and they're fantastic rappers as always. The production is the real key to the success here. Outside of the seminal "Shook Ones", I never really could get behind the production on The Infamous, but every beat here hits hard, dark and moody without ever sacrificing entertainment value.

Say I wanted to make a sample based music/plunderphonics/instrumental hip hop chart but I've listened to most of the well known stuff. Where should I start?

have you listened to steinski?

dead as fuck wtf euroboys

I feel that exactly. imo Hissing Fauna was their last good album, but I'm usually iffy on stuff before that. Personal fav is forever and always Gay Parade. Have you ever seen them live? They haven't put out anything good in forever but they always put on an amazing show. I'm going to see them live for the thrid or fourth time since they always come to my city.

New album will most likely be terrible but for some reason I'm looking forward to it.

I don't even like twee but nah their twee stuff is 100x better than what they've been doing for the past decade.

If you haven't gone through most of the Orange Milk label already, they have a ton of plunderphonics, as well as Occasionally Tapes
I'd also recc Handsomeboy Technique - Adelie Land and Wise Blood - Id

>handsomeboy technique
ewwww

>believing PS isn't flawless
disgusting
seconding most orange milk stuff
813 - Taкиe Paзныe Кapaндaши Бeз Гpифeля
Pregnant - John Raw
Susan Balmar - PALCNA
Bifted Twister - Thursday Friday
PF - PF$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$3.33 - I need some good rap music for my car.?
s a k i 夢 - 夢の中で失われました

huh

I didn't notice that /f had a few more aliases, my listening backlog has increased

lol
knobcreek.bandcamp.com/music

the album cover game is unreal

knobcreek.bandcamp.com/album/-
this is the first album i was physically unable to add to rym.

>their twee stuff is 100x better than what they've been doing for the past decade.
didnt we all agree Paralytic Stalks was by far their best album?

I used to like it more in my oM phase but now track 2, 3, and 4 are all I like from that album

orange milk is memetrash take those off again
dj logic - the anomaly
ig culture - zen badizm

wow! did you know Campfire Songs was recorded entirely on Avery Tare's front lawn?! with added field recordings across the nearby fields? amazing!!!

Yeah
Adelie land is probably the cheesiest record that I really like along with Thunder lightning strike by The Go Team, I'll check out the rest though thanks!
Not heard much of these, ty.

I'll go back to ghosting these threads now

fuck even steinski? even his comp album?

>Adelie land is probably the cheesiest record that I really like
Very nice

Why was America so bad at post-punk?
>inb4 muh Pere Ubu
The Fall but worse
>inb4 muh No Wave
Literally just post-punk played by hacks who didn't understand their instruments

Yeah from monocle's rym list on plunderphonics, it's a great release. Should get around to listening to other things he's released sooner or later

let it die, but i sincerely mean it this time

check out Organized Konfusion's self titled debut if you like Pharoah Monch. Also Three 6 Mafia - The Most Known Unknown, because of the Gucci

whatr ya slurpin on homies

green tea :)

Budweiser king of beer

based brass chimes

will do, thanks!

water

hey check out my loop thing that FL Studio totally fucking ruined when I exported it
clyp.it/xcdz1h0h

ded is right
goddamn

(part 1)

Black Meteoric Star - Black Meteoric Star (2009)
>acid techno

When this uses repetition well it's a brilliant piece of techno, Russom using her experience as LCD Soundsystem's synthesizer expert to create dazzling, textural, pounding pieces of dirty, raw, electro-tinged techno. When it uses repetition poorly, it's an absolute slog, the tones can start to grate and the pieces really just go nowhere. It's a mixed bag that luckily has more good than bad.

2.5+

Young Thug - Slime Season (2015)
>southern hip hop, trap rap

Allow me to reiterate something I say everytime I talk about Thugger (outside of JEFFERY and bits of Beautiful Thugger Girls)—he's one of the most inventive rappers working today that is constantly let down my his production. Idiosyncratic rappers like Thug need equally inventive and out-there production. The best current example is probably Danny Brown, dude has one of the weirdest voices in hip hop and his production matches it perfectly, Thug's production rarely falls outside of the spectrum of generic and bland trap. It serves it's purpose well, but Thug's vocals deserve so, /so/ much better.

2.0+

Mike Hurley - First Songs (1965)
>contemporary folk, singer/songwriter

More or less a worse version of Armchair Boogie. Given the fact that this came out a full six years before any of Hurley's other records, it's fair that this isn't as fine-tuned as Armchair Boogie or Have Moicy!, it's still got Hurley's natural charm in spades. The main problem with this is how drawn-out the songs can get. It runs about ten minutes longer than Armchair Boogie, with two less songs, which means that a couple songs lie in the six/seven minute range, a range that Hurley isn't terribly accustomed to and something that doesn't suit him well at all. The shorter songs have that same down-to-earth charm I love, and the guitar work is consistently great, this just isn't terribly necessary especially in respect to his later works.

2.5+

(part 2)

AyкцЫoн [Auktyon] - Птицa / Ptiza (1993)
>art rock, folk rock

Above all, this is a really fun album. I've never heard any of AyкцЫoн's stuff before this, but it seems that major stylistic and genre switches are kind of their forte, and that's something incredibly obvious even on this album alone. The band switches between folk, rock, punk, prog, jazz, all anchored by the powerful and effortlessly charismatic vocal work of the enigmatic Лeoнид Фёдopoв. Album that switch genres so frequently have, of lately, been less of a selling point to me, and I don't entirely buy it here, especially on the more fast-paced, punk tracks. The slow-burning folk tracks, with their slight jazz tinges and their incredible atmospheres, however, are absolutely fantastic, and as a whole I really like this record. Could definitely see myself bumping this up to a 3.5 with more time.

3.0+

Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories (1975)
>symphonic prog, progressive rock

You really can't get much more flouncy and over-the-top with your prog than with this album, and what's amazing is that the band pulls it off without a hitch. The two tracks in between the monolithic bookends are unmemorable, so it's a damn good thing that the bookending tracks are so magnificent. I get a lot of Genesis vibes from this band, Haslam's vocals are just as operatic and over-dramatic as Peter Gabriel's, and the whole band has a folky, somewhat twee sound to them that I really dig. Underrated prog classic, check it out.

(part 3)

Yximalloo - Techno Shrine Choir (1984)
>avant-folk, electronic

Quite possibly one of the most intriguing listening experiences I've had in a while, for better or for worse. The power of Yximalloo's music comes from the fact that this is a single person performing everything. Every last instrument, every last distorted demented soundscape, every single note (that may be a bit generous) on this album comes from the twisted mind of a single person. While that's very impressive, it leads to a fair bit of self-indulgence. I can't get behind the electronic/ambient stuff here at all, everything about it is so incredibly drawn-out and overdone. The folk/tribal stuff is much leaner and more fun to listen to, the textures are beautiful and the out-there, anarchistic vibe of this really helps it all out.

2.5+

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs (1999)
>east coast hip hop, boom bap

I'll take Organized Konfusion's stuff over this, Monch just doesn't has the voice for this gruff, hardcore style of production. His raps are great, of course (well, "Rape" is disgusting, but beyond that), but the production is much more suited to a DMX/Busta Rhymes kind of rapper, his voice is too high pitched and reedy, it's just weird to listen too. The production itself isn't really much to write home about either, save for the impeccable "Simon Says". It gets the job done, there's just not much to grab onto. If Busta Rhymes had these beats, this would be a fantastic album (see his verse on the "Simon Says" remix, dear god), with Monch at the helm it's an awkward battle between two combatting forces.

>Ptiza love
i cum!!

>

am i allowed to friend sdc on rym if i'm a poseur and not apart of daily?

I forbid it.

>a poseur
>not apart of daily
not poseur enough

ohh craft beer, the classy lad

muse chord progressions > radiohead chord progressions

liturgy chord progressions >

ok you guys have done it
i am so stressed im on the verge
the verge of tears
you happy?
i just tried to make a group
that could have good taste
but all you wanted to do was die

Add femtometer or get off this board

Me, I did.

;)

Haha funny weed number :O :)

Listening to cheesy new age progressive electronic really puts the experimentation of Daniel Lopatin's music into perspective

I've listened to it! I need a top notch nat-is-really-digging-this kind of album. Could you dig into your obscure box and hook me up?

pics?

bump

in that he seems kinda experimental now or that he seems like even more of a hack?

He clearly knew how to make old school electronic melodies in his earliest releases, maybe better than lots of people who managed to get their hands on synths in the 80's.

it's his newest albums, starting from Replica, that I'm fine with people calling him a hack for "experimenting" since he begins to toy with samples and new age, as well as throw song structure around. I don't think R+7 or GoD are fantastic albums, but they're much more substantial in content than lots of old electronic cassettes im listening to

Okay, I saw what you guys did for Type O Negative, so I have a question for you.

How the fuck is this supposed to be an ear?

it's not, it's a nose bc the album stinks

It's an anus because the album is ass.

Nearly finished the first part.Too lazy to make the reviews rn. But just note that I highly recommand Krano's album.

What the fuck is this

it's a boomerang?

Okay, I saw what you guys did for Type O Negative, so I have a question for you.

How the fuck is this supposed to be a potato?

oh boy here we go

>his rym account isn't verified yet
must feel bad to not be an influencer

here's the front and back

also stop teasing me online :(

THANK YOU

that is some of the worst album art of all time...

random user stepping in here for a second

i've been following your chart for a while and lurking some daily threads for a few days and i wanted to ask why you gave Binary Opposition (bottom row, first column) a 2? I personally really enjoyed it and want to know what makes it so bad for you.

Hey there and thanks for following this chart.

Well, I somehow felt I like the album was at moments very repetitive. It felt much much longer than it actually was. Plus, the more "vivid parts", the powerful ones (idk how to define it) felt really chaotic to me. I may give a new try to this band with Burning Day later on though.

one round down!
reviews for the albums i already scored but srent in this post will come attached to its round whenever i get around to those other albums

>gob recs... Light Bringer - Scenes of Infinity
i was a bit worried coming into this with the power metal genre tag and all, but i was instantly reassured by how good this album actually is! its more loud dense crazy fun rock that i tend to love so dearly and with a very very impressive vocalist. there are some nice synth touches you wouldn't usually expect from this genre and it occupies a very different emotional state and sound from more gritty or hard themed and sounding hard metal. it's more late 90s early 3D japanese video game than giant fantasy war with knights and dragons and orcs and blood and such and i identify with and prefer the japanese video game feel much more.

>dexadavis recs... Franz Liszt played by Minori Nojima
even for as active as these compositons are this was a slog to get through once the initial fun with the kooky-ness of the first song wore off and i just wanted it to end. i tend not to be able to relate to or get much emotionally from music like this. bluargh.

oh yeah i forgot to say
gob moves on!
give me a rec when you can

Shame that you didn't dig Liszt man, I guess I just rode that kookiness all the way to the end

what a handsome quacker

for letov because he likes weird foreign shit
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hulda-huima-mustat-kalsarit/hulda-huima-ja-mustat-kalsarit-2/

>Finnish
Mämmi................

Easter Pudding to you also

Suomi, perkele.... sauna..........

I kinda agree but if you don't think echoes is one of their best songs I'll fuckin fight you

I have my books
and my poetry to protect me

Hello everyone. I have been busy for the past month but I have reviewed the next 20 albums in his discography. This batch features some of my favorite works by him.

James Ferraro - Hacker Track (2009)
>Very sparse array of technologic sounds. I swear that James went to the future and sampled some of my own experiments for this album. The quality of this album in my opinion diminishes in the later half and the frequent THX jingles are grating. 6/10

James Ferraro - Son of Dracula (2009)
>Just weird. Gives a slightly different more comically sinister spin on his usual fanfare. Lots of laughing and strange vocal inflections. Starts out strong and gets progressively more boring. 5/10

James Ferraro - Wild World (2009)
>Certainly a wild ride. Cut with numerous samples of Access Hollywood type shows discussing plastic surgery and the Heaven's Gate cult. Feels like a personal album for Ferraro and it's amazing how much this "trash" culture resonates with him. This is also not the first time he has referenced Heaven's Gate. 6/10

James Ferraro - iAsia (2009)
>Concept alone makes this album a masterpiece. Cruisin Exotica radio station. Happy HD Bengal is bookended by two absolute jams. The lofi texture in this otherwise gaudy futuristic paradise reminds me of downloading low quality rips on Limewire. We truly did live in the future in the Y2K/Windows XP era, if only for a moment. There are definitely boring moments on this release, but those are bearable if you are in a meditative state. 8/10

James Ferraro - Jarvid 9: Gecko (2009)
>Extremely ambitious. The sheer volume of this release as well as the others in the series is only offset by the surprising quality of some of these tracks. Ferraro has created an alien soundscape resembling southeast asia ever so slightly. I seriously cannot possibly imagine how he could make so many giant releases in 2009 I think that is what bewilders me the most. 8/10

James Ferraro - Rerex 1 (2009)
>This is what I wish iAsia was more like. So consistent and delerious. The second part of the first track is maybe THE high point of Ferraro's discography. I love the perverse melodies that struggle to emerge from a wall of lofi noise. 8/10

James Ferraro - Body Fusion 1 (2009)
>Much better than I was expecting based on the cover alone. Spooky synth drones spliced with sex hotline advertisements. Glad my wife didn't walk in when I was listening to this, and I probably will never listen to it again. 7/10

James Ferraro - Rerex 2 (2009)
>This is the apex for me. All three tracks are fabulous in their own way. In comparison to the other releases which feel unfocused with their textures, this one feels more unified in message and in melodic content. Portions of previous releases emerge in this more finished product. Whatever those synths are in the first track give me life. 9/10

James Ferraro - Jarvid 9: Flushpipe (2009)
>Kind of boring; not as exciting as Gecko. Reminds me of Jon Hassell in spots, but worse. It's like an album of the bad soundcloud producers from the alien community. 6/10

James Ferraro - Jarvid 9: Kava Jar Race (2009)
>I'm starting to think that I am more partial to the Ferraro releases I have heard first before going on this journey. I wonder if I heard this before Gecko whether I would like it better. I think Kava Jar Race is an improvement over Flushpipe and the last two tracks have some majestic passages hidden in them. 7/10

James Ferraro - Pixarni (2010)
>New year new James. Still contains a lofi quality, but the sound is more openly synthetic. The composition feels empty, but not in an intentional/ironic way. 6/10

James Ferraro - Feed Me (2010)
>James goes for more of a song based approach and incorporates a cut & paste aesthetic with the radio tuner. Often while listening to this I forget this was all made by one guy; the radio effect is really immersive. 6/10

James Ferraro - On Air (2010)
>Like Feed Me but for whatever reason I found these tunes to be catchier. 7/10

James Ferraro - Night Dolls With Hairspray (2010)
>I had to pause on this one. Clearly involves more effort being put forth than his previous works. It's amazing to me that despite creating these amorphous drones for the most part; James is actually a talented songwriter. Leather high school really does sound like Bart Simpson. 8/10

James Ferraro - Condo Pets (2011)
>This is a clear precursor to FSV. However, these tunes are a little more subdued and pack less excitement. Like pop music for Mii's. 6/10

James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual (2011)
>Ferraro's most famous work. To me, it gets weaker with every listen. However, that second track is still a masterpiece. Would like to have seen the ringtone version of this. I have a theory that James and Dan Lopatin had a mentalcollaboration at FRKWYS which resulted in this and Channel Pressure. 7/10

Borden, Ferraro, Godin, Halo, Lopatin - FRKWYS Vol. 7 (2010)
>It's a nice enough synth drone piece, but it does feel like a waste of the individuality of all of the collaborators there. Maybe relates the most to Pixarni in Ferraro's catalogue, and some of 0PN's pre-returnal works. The last track is surely worth checking out though. 6/10

James Ferraro - Body Fusion 2 (2009)
>Nauseating and chaotic timbres which genuinely creeped me out. Also that last phone sample was hilarious. Makes me wonder what James was doing to inspire him to make a record with this theme. 6/10

Bebetune$ - Inhale C-4 $$$$$ (2011)
>This album, if any, should convince you that Ferraro is a genius, or at least very in step with the trends of popular music. Like how do you go from amassing a collection of lofi drones to predicting the course of hip hop for the next decade. Some weak spots in the middle, but Maccau celebrities is magic and the last couple of tracks starting with Sahara jr are sublime. 8/10

Bodyguard - Raiden (2012)
>I get it. A subdued look at R&B mixed with the cheesiest electronic pallatte imaginable. Like a Drake song performed with a casio. 5/10

Bodyguard - Silica Gel (2012)
>I usually hate music that sounds like this, and I have hated it growing up. However James takes a halfway ironic and investigative approach to this type of R&B/hip hop music. Feels like it drags on for too long. 5/10

That's it for this week. Rerex 2 is my favorite, but night dolls and bebetune$ was also fantastic

thanks Mr. Institute

you are welcome. sure is dead here

It's a torts-agram, designed to seamlessly combine the album art into the real-world scenario to ease understanding, typically done using MS Paint and in no more than 7 seconds.

>any Listz that isn't played by Alfred Brendel
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

>a torts-agram,
:') I'm famos