Is Kanye overrated?

He’s got a reputation as some sort of genius, but after listening to a couple of albums, it just seems like he has decent production and crappy everything else. Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d8BlBpW9LPM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, he is underrated in fact

On this board yes, over all no.

kanye is a legit genius who hasn't made a bad album in his life. his music has influenced hip-hop production and style multiple times over. so, no.

Yes

general consensus has always been as far as i can remember he's an ok at best rapper who makes up for it with his personality and by producing his own stuff

KEEP IT 300
LIKE THE ROMANS

Back in the day his lyrics were top tier. "Jesus Walks", "Good Morning", "Gorgeous", list kinds goes on. Pablo and Yeezus were kinda eh but the man's indisputably a legend and definitely most influential rapper of 00s

>hasn't made a bad album in his life.
*blocks your path*

If he really was a musical genius, he would be below him. If he was a genius, he would surpass hip hop and have products on more than one genre. If he was a musical genius he would create music that's original and not just using a part of another better song dumbed down enough to make it easier to rap over. He isn't even that good at what he does and even if he was it being a genius at producing hip hop isn't saying much at all on musical talent since hip hop is the laziest way to make music. All he needs is one song for the main part of his track that most of the time isn't even changed, it just has rapping over it, completely average rapping at that. His voice isn't anything special and most of his lyrics are disposable trash and have no substance and sounds like he just rapped over his track because he feels like he needs to. So, why do you fucks like this trash?

not a bad album. at very worst i'd call it just okay.

we get it dude you don't like hip-hop, you can leave now

that's where you're wrong kiddo, I live, breathe and defecate hip hop

Spit some bars right now

uh word is im the best around
huh i guess im the best in the crowd
yuh i smoke alot so i breathe clouds
put some respect on it play it loud yuh

cracking knuckles before i crack on y'all
black out before i black on all
i'm like blade, i'm wesley snipes
i'm coming in with like 99 knives
wait, i had 99 problems
a bitch wasn't one
so what, grab the stove top
grab the pot
grab the pyrex and make it hot

Thats his second best album

CCC (cool calm collected)
He's so deep that you're lost in the surface of his genius

No, that's pretty much it. He's a good producer but no Dre or Preemo, and he's far below average for a commercially successful rapper (well, not so sure about that considering how low the bar is nowadays). Lots of marketing and lots of mainstream success has made the accolades completely disproportionate to his actual skills, but that's what happens when you become butt buddies with Jay-Z, the most overrated and self-promoting businessman in hip-hop. His influence is of the kind where other rappers, really respected rappers, will dickride him because he can conjure up multiple millions for you out of a quick marketing campaign.

Go bulls you my nigga, but kanye been fell off, look at the current landscape of the top rappers, kendrick the top selling rapper that writes all his own stuff, jcole as well, even rappers like future, 21 savage, kodak, youngboynba, Remy, Rick ross, meek, childish gambino plus more, and hip hop and r&b is on top and the top selling and stream music because of all these people collectively, look at cardi b killing it, look at singers like sza, rihanna, beyonce, bryson, the weeknd, bruno, khalid, plus more who are all top sellers as well kanye is not needed any longer, and it shows, look at adidas for example pharrell shoes sell more than kanyes,and kanye can't use the multiple writers any more because the talent that we been had along with the new talent are doing it for themselves and also giving us 90s vibes mixed with the new with the energy and style that they're bringing, kanye been cooning with that vulture family which have also turned a lot of people off, even some of his old friends which wrote for him also been calling him out, look at jay z just released his best album 444 critically acclaimed and sold good, and amazing videos with amazing talent, and he's getting honored at the grammys and also have the most nominations, kanye is done and a corny coon

Great album just tainted by about 2 or 3 REALLY experimental rap songs that are not easily digested AT ALL

What was going through his head Sup Forums?
Was he onto something?

youtube.com/watch?v=d8BlBpW9LPM