Squarepusher

Where should I start with him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZHFL8WY-_cI
youtube.com/watch?v=ep4-fFfEahE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The start.

This weirdy-beardy has done a few genuinely startling tracks, and is generally quite amusing. What galls is the sheer arrogance and temerity of Squarepusher and other similar "drill and bass" dilettantes --they actually believe they are improving on jungle!!! All that Squarepusher has brought to drum & bass is some Jaco Pastorius bass-frills, a dys-funk-tional rhythmic convolution, and a quirked-out daftness that recalls nobody so much as Primus. On a purely technical level, nothing that Squarepusher does with breakbeats surpasses engineer-poets like Hype, Aphrodite, Dillinja, 4 Hero or Danny Breaks, to mention only the most obvious leaders-in-the-field. It is only Squarepusher/Plug etc's distance from the scene that allows them to convolute the breakbeats beyond any use-value to DJ or dancer; the wilful incongruity of the samples is all well and good, but if junglists use the same old gangsta/cyberpunk soundbites and apocalyptic textures, it's because they're trying to create and sustain a vibe, a feeling-full and meaningful mood that crystallises a certain kind of worldview and life-stance. By comparison, drill and bass is vibe-less non-sense. The drill and bass/"fungle" concept seems to exist to make a certain sort of "margin-walker" feel okay about not really having engaged with jungle as a subculture. And of course, as with most soi disant progressive iniatives, drill and bass is utterly parasitic on its populist counterpart--do you really think the idea of chopping up breakbeats would have independently occurred to the weirdy-beardy technoids in a million years?

This is a 90s deano bullying warp records fans for not being fake-salt-of-the-earth trendy ravers

Look at /bleep/, all based around treating more urban and less self-conscious electronic music as authentic and warp records stuff as if its rockist yet there's nothing authentic about thinking that way because you're a fucking hipster contriving shit

feed me weird things is cool

his first one like you would any other artist

>bullying warp records fans for not being fake-salt-of-the-earth trendy ravers
it's the opposite

what do you mean its the opposite, explain yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=ZHFL8WY-_cI
I like his brothers music

I don't think it's rockist necessarily, but it's certainly anti-intellectual and stupid.

It's fundamentally against the idea that music should aspire to be more than dumb entertainment, or background noise while you get wasted and try to get your dick wet.

I listened to a few tracks that sounded like Bitches Brew with bleep bloop drums. Absolute trash

it's kind of underproduced, big loada and hard normal daddy are maybe a better starting point

lol what a pleb, he's done more than one style dumbass

>Bitches Brew with bleep bloop drums
that sounds great

he's literally saying that spusher's music is hardly more experimental than the stuff he takes influence from but because he plays live bass and distances himself from said scene he takes influence from, spusher is somehow seen to be more credible and revolutionary

or in short memetext
>[x] for people who don't like [x]"

doesn't make it any worse or make him any less credible

Ceephax is miles better

>the virgin Squarepusher vs the chad Ceephax

If anything he's mostly influenced by jazz. So no, not really.

>ywn live in an alternate world where 4hero get the credit they deserve
Possibly the most underappreciated electronic group of the 90's.

>alternate world
>not parallel universe

youtube.com/watch?v=ep4-fFfEahE

pure fuckin acid