Anybody get intense nostalgia watching this?

Anybody get intense nostalgia watching this?

Didn't even grow up in the 80s and never been in Cali

Favorite episode besides Jon Hamm one, but I did grow up in the 80s so this episode with the setting (music, arcade games, clothes) hit home.

Yep, did grow up in the 80s and lived in cali, super comfy and nostalgic.

The music was the only good thing. everything else about this episode was complete garbage. Kill yourself OP.

the "20 year resurgence" that's happened every decade since mass media began happens specifically because of kids feeling nostalgic for times that were over before they were born

I'm glad I'm not the only one to spot this trend.

this is some "kino" thinking, my friends

very ahead of the curve on this one

Really made me think guys
#wow

>her joining her lesbian friend she just met instead of her daughter and husband is supposed to be the good ending

>instead of her daughter and husband

they're dead

and so is she

a cheap copy of her running around a server farm for a century or two is not and will never be "her."

>and never been in Cali

ill believe it, no self respecting California native refers to it as "cali"

>"20 year resurgence"
1987 when the story takes place happened 30 years ago. The actresses were respectively 4 years old and newborn at the time. To be over 17 and go to the club they went you must be at least 47 years old today. 2030 is closer than 9/11.

why is it not her? I'd like to see you explain this.

>a cheap copy of her running around a server farm for a century or two is not and will never be "her."

I agree and it really bothered me that the episode didn't even touch that issue. It's just a given that you can "upload" yourself into a computer, which is not false because we just can't do it yet, but it is false because that's not how life works.

so then by that logic she's not really joining her, a cheap copy of her is

Not that user, but suppose I'd make a copy of you in the same way except you are not dead yet, will you experience the universe from two points of view simultaneously?

Something like that is not actually a person, it can only just appear as so to another person, but nothing is actually being experienced there.

it's not a copy though. it's a transferring of consciousness. how else would she experience the things within the simulation and retain that memory and emotion?

Mackenzie Davis is a babe

SJW's have been fapping over this because it's about dykes.

>by that logic [exactly what the fuck you just said]
... ya don't say

Just like you watch a movie or play a game and you remember it. Consciousness cannot be transferred, what could actually happend is that a virtual world is presented to her consciousness. Once you are dead, there is no one to experience it. If the computer is just running information back and forth in complex ways, it wouldn't matter because there would be no one to watch it.

Its a spinoff of sorts from the christmas special. Where they do go into great depth that the cookies aren't the people they're copying, the copies just think they're the original people.

assuming that's true, how does the simulation then act on its own after her dying? why do their "avatars" even exist? if they're sentient what's the point in pretending that it's something you can pass on to?

it's pretty clear they intended it to be a transferring of consciousness. obviously this isn't real technology, but without it the entire ending is undermined.

She's a tranny

did we skip episode 2 or something?

All the episodes of black mirror take place in the same universe, at different periods.

You know, usually Black Mirror endings are dark, or bitter sweet (like the S3E1), I like to imagine this was the dark ending and nobody realized it. The despair of mortality drove her to commit philosophical suicide and live a meaningless perfect life.

the creator confirmed there are no tricks. it's a happy ending. accept it and move on.

Proof?

If anything I enjoyed it for being the only episode of Black Mirror with a remotely positive ending

You're an idiot.

That's not a trick, though. It's an interpretation. The creator can fuck off with what he thinks it says.

First episode of the season had a positive ending. Mental liberation from society.

>I can't handle what the creator intended
why do shitposters on a mongolian knitting forum think they know better than the people that created the show?

I know that's what they intended to do and it's true that the entire ending is undermined by that, but that's exactly my problem with this episode. It's not even something I have to think about later to criticize it, I thought it was weird when I was watching it that every character would treat it as a given that you can transfer consciousness like they implied.

Otherwise I love this episode, the characters, the setting and so on.

Ever hear of "death of the author"? I don't care about their intention, all that matters is what I can read in what they've shown me.

It doesn't matter what a creator intends to do, only what he shows, which will then be interpreted in various ways, which is basically what makes people like something or not, understand it in this or that way and etc. It's not about knowing better user.

By that logic the SW prequels is literally poetry.

Not the best read. Up until the moment kelly crashes the jeep, shes living san junipero as a cheap facsimile of her 20s, with a very intense fear of death manifest the entire time.

Then she flies through a windshield at 100mph and realizes there's all sorts of shit she can do there she couldn't do in reality.

She also realizes it isn't real. That she can live or die there and it doesn't matter in reality. So she still dies in reality and joins her family and yorkie's copy gets a kelly copy to love and lose to the quagmire.

This is charlie booker we're talking about. You have to apply poe's law liberally to anything he says.

Or that only the only reason people are completely honest is when they have nothing to lose. And what they have to lose is built upon dishonesty.

Why the fuck are people saying this was a happy episode and had a good ending? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Did you guy notice how this has a ton of small nods to Thelma and Louise? (the way the characters interacted, the roofless car and someway the ending...)

And that the episode about the guy who didn't call his mom and was stuck in the videogame and died had references to John Carpenter films? Guy was wearing similar shirt to Kurt Russel, had the same kind of humour throughout, there is even a monster of a spider with a human head just like in The Thing.

I was looking for other similarities in other episodes but didn't notice them.

certain types of people only get subtext when its really loud and overt.

Like in zack snyder movies.

That kind of makes her choice itself seem meaningless and poorly motivated, though I suppose she might see the copies (if we're considering them that) as conscious beings, to. I guess I like the meaninglessness I get from it, I really had Albert Camus on my mind when watching this episode for some reason, so I was viewing everything through the idea of absurdism, and I think multiple interpretations of it really promote that philosophy.