Admit it, you loved when Darth Maul pulled out his double bladed lightsaber to Duel of the Fates

Admit it, you loved when Darth Maul pulled out his double bladed lightsaber to Duel of the Fates.

no

DO IT

'Loved' indicates past-tense.

I still love watching him whip it out, along with the rest of that scene.

it was the only good part of the movie

I was a kid who didn't love the prequels but was still brainwashed enough to want all the toys and video games and such.

I hated Maul. The most boring movie villain I've ever seen in my fucking life. I played with other Phantom Menace toys but never needed a Maul.

Ronald McDonald looking motherfucker

Darth Maul is the reason that movie is not garbage. Best Star Wars villain so far

I did.

I was eleven.

fuck off maul fanboy

*best potential Star Wars villain
ftfy
he had alot of potential and was very menacing looks and attitudewise, but he was underutilized and underdeveloped, if you think about it, he could have been replaced with a giant walking dildo wielding a doublesided hockeystick and it wouldnt have made a difference

I liked that it finally felt like star wars after all the fucking talking and racing.

We're not talking about podracing, user.

I saw people on the internet raving that back when they saw the movie in the theater, they were blown away by the reveal of Maul having a double saber.

Is it true that it was kept secret before the movie release?

It must have been in a trailer

I didn't see any trailers before I saw the film.

They were selling double bladed sabres before the movie came ou

I wish I had Internet in 1999.

Also I swear I didn't know Darth Sidious, Senator Sheev and the Emperor from the OT was the same guy untill Ep III. I though Sidious was the guy before the Emperor and Sheev was just some dude.

Was I the only one?

I wish darth maul would have stuck trough the prequels as the main henchman. Dooku and Grievous a shit

>Was I the only one?

Yes

Imo this is the best moment of the prequels. Everything about that big blast door opening up, seeing ol' spikey-head standing there. One lightsabre blade. TWO LIGHTSABRE BLADE

>duel of the fates

fuking hnnnnnnnnnnnng

Literally the only one

I didn't know that until AotC. Everything looked so different I thought it was an alternate universe.

Also since I'm not American I first saw it dubbed and they may have given a different voice actor for Sheev and Sidious. Or the VA was just that good, fuck I don't know.

>Besy fight in the whole series
>Qui gon is only surpassed by Obi wan as coolest Jedi in the prequels in the last two movies

Qui-gon and Maul are the only redeemable things about this movie

Prequels were pure kino, far better than the original trilogy

imagine that
>maul escapes the first fight, running off leaving obiwan in the hole, obiwan climbing back up and swearing revenge over qui gons body
>in the second movie we get to see maul fucking shit up and obi-wans hateboner. also revealing how he failed in his training of anakin by unknowinlgy skewing his mind with improper thoughts of using the force for revenge and vengeance
> obi-wan struggling with his anger over the man who killed his teacher and finally overcoming it in time to turn the ffight and save anakin, becoming a true jedi master in the process
>and in the third movie, we see obi-wan and anakin finally overcome this villian that has been besting both of them for years. obi-wan wanting to bring him to trial and for the first time he realizes what Anakin has become while he watches him mercilessly behead their surrending foe

i mean an actual threatening villain with an arc, who ever heard of such a thing, just cram in whatever bullshit we can pull out of our ass to sell more toys

yes
i was seven

cool scene, shit movie

Is cool and was very exiting, but during the fight, we realised that there would not have been those cool words from the trailer or any meaningful dialogue to flesh him out.

Was cool, and remains cool after years, but only in the look. Is as if Lucas thought "well, he has a double lightsaber, that's enough for a character trait".

>liking dumbass Qui-Gon
He was a fucking retard.

Thread ruined, someone didn't know when to stop again.

I find it funny how the extended media for Maul misses the point of his character. Nobody cared what his backstory was or what his ambition was, he was more of a concept than a character. In the same sense that Death can take the form of a person, but that person merely represents the concept of death. Maul was a force of change, a harbinger of the dark times to come. That's what people fell in love with.

>he didn't have a dial-up in the '90s

pretty sure shots of that door opening up and him opening his twoside lightsaber were in the trailers
like at the end when the music went quiet
supposed to be the oh shit moment, i could be misremembering

I generally fling shit at the armchair screenwriters i read in this site but this is actually very good, just need A LOT of care for the third part in Anakin motivations. What you did write is not enough, should be like 50% of the reason.
But is great.

I always liked silent unstoppable villains like Jaws/mike Meyers/ Jason/t-1000 and Maul was great but the movie itself was too all over the place to give him a proper build up

thank you

I actually remember seeing this in the theater and when Maul was cut in half you could hear half the audience gasp
I guess most people assumed he was going to stick around as the main villain ?
Or they liked him so much and were shocked by his death?

I think it had to do more with Ad campaign hyping him up more than anything in the film itself

(They should have kept him around so Obi would have an enemy to go after but then realize revenge isn't the Jedi way or something. Then Maul and Obi become pals to defeat Anakin)

Well it was one of the only few decent things in TPM so yeah.

if you watch carefully as maul activates his sabers the hilt actually expands

hey, Darth was only the good thing in the trilogy

That stuff is too hard to communicate cinematically, and its also all boils down to

>muh due process
vs
>muh too dangerous

Which is present in the movies a bit, but is not dramatic enough to anchor the saga.

Note how in epIII with Mace and Ani arguing over killing Sheev, they were having the due process debate, but underneath it was Anakin needing to save his wife, and hating this guy who had always been a prick to him.

That is honestly better storytelling.

Also, I don't think that Dooku, who replaced Maul, sucked as a villain at all, he was just underutilised (like Maul).

He was a mirror image of Kenobi, and he was connected to Yoda and Gin and he was General Lee to the Space Confederacy, and he was ex-Jedi, he had a lot of interesting angles, but just not much screentime (last part of AOTC, first part of ROTS).

Lucas is good with story structure, as usual. He just sucks at execution.

If they had kept the double saber out of the trailers and the toys, its reveal would have been the greatest moment in Star Wars. People would have lost their fucking minds.

Also, Maul and Dooku should have been merged into one character, to be the bad guy of the Prequel trilogy. You'd lose the "Badass Devil" character design, but he would have been a better character in the end. And, imagine the TPM fight if Mooku was a former Jedi, and the implications for Qui-Gon, especially. He'd be killed by his former master

I liked how savage he was, like a wild animal out of control. His rapid body movements are what make him so cool, like a machine made for killing

>tell us nothing about maul
>still the best enemy
>kill him in the first movie

>I still love watching him whip it out

hes a cool dude

During the trailers and the Dual of the Fates music video that was spammed on MTV/Much Music, yes. But when I saw the actual movie in theaters, I was so devastated with what I was watching that I didn't fucking care anymore.

All our imaginations of what the movie was going to be like based on the trailers was better than the actual movie.

No, it makes Dooku less interesting if he's willing to kill his padawan as opposed to what we got - which is that the Qui Gon thing makes him conflicted and he reaches out to Obi in AotC.

Also, Maul's death was needed to bring in the rule of 2 thing, which explains why the Sith have not been around for so long, which sets up their 'Return/Revenge' as a prophetic event, which gives weight to Anakin's destiny and power etc.

Lucas knows what he's fucking doing.

You guys should work for Disney.

I did, but then again I was 9.

>All our imaginations of what the movie was going to be like based on the trailers was better than the actual movie.
You might actually enjoy movies if you stopped watching trailers.

not really I fucking hated this film as a kid

I liked AotC and RotS though

Would have loved it more if it wasn't in all the promotional media

Sure. I was 11. I loved The Phantom Menace back then.

Attack of the Clones may just be the worst movie ever made in respect to its budget and visual design.

Not Star Wars nerd here:

I still don't get the title "Darth". Is it like "Sir"? Like a Sith Knight? How did Anakin go from Jedi Knight to Darth Vader in like 10 seconds in Episode III? How did this Sith Knight get introduced and killed in one Episode?

I feel like both sides need to raise the bar on their honors and titles a bit....

They needed to get Anakin in the fucking suit in one movie so they rushed everything.

There's your explanation.

Anakin was the key to all of it.
If they can get Anakin in the Vader suit, because he's a darker character than they've ever had before.

Yoda equipping his lighsaber and charging at Dooku was better.

Still do. It's a great fight and Maul is a cool character.

YYEEEEEEAAAARRRRGGGHH

Have you been twelve years old for fourteen years? That scene literally ruined Yoda forever.

I think the prequels could have been like, minimum 50% better if he escaped in Phantom Menace and then sort of became a constant reminder of Obiwans failure to save / avenge Quigon setting the groundwork for a poorly trained Anakin.

> tfw some Lego redux of the Empire Strikes Back called him 'Emperor Palpatine' and spoiled it for me.

so sinse there have been sooooo many easter eggs from the clone wars kid show in rouge one its a good chance maul will come back as half man half spider robot probably in another midqual with ewen wan kenobi and id bet his daughter is rey and boba fet will turn to the light side to help ben fight halfmaul... could it be good?