How come action movies of the 80's have aged so well?

How come action movies of the 80's have aged so well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/U9kK-CbqH0k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it because it predate CGI shit taking over everything?

Batman Returns is from 1992.

>Another Pfeiffer Catwoman thread

Why do you do this to me, Sup Forums?

More thought into them, that's all. 80', 90'.

Not to say that a lot of shit wasn't produced, but there was still chance for something big production and not written by people spending 90% of their time on twitter.

Is it literally just me or did anyone else get turned the fuck on by Michelle Phieffer in this movie?

I literally developed a latex fetish after watching this movie.

Being turned by Michelle was and is healthy and normal. I wonder why one would even ask :)

She plays the "cat lady" as Femininity x 1000.

Batman Returns might be my favourite Batman movie but I never realized how hot Catwoman was until just now

Pic isn't related, just sexy

yep same here i also have short hair fetish thanks to young Demi Moore

Same here, man. She's the best part of the entire movie.

Burton's Batmans were the PERFECT mix of camp, comedy, horror, action and fantasy. Infinitely better than Lolan's le modern thriller abominations.

Because they rely mostly on practical effects instead of the shitty CGI of the 90s and early 2000s

>beautiful Christmas atmosphere that gives the movie a lot of spirit and personality, as with other Burton movies serves multiple purposes to make the movie more memorable (aesthetically snow in darkness looks amazing, thematically his movies are often about the darkness hiding behind a pretty surface, but also the opposite, emotionally movies set during Christmas seem to have deeper impact because we all share a connection and it brings up a lot of personal memories, etc)
>Bruce is just as scary and schizophrenic as the villains he's chasing, but it's shown through subtle moments, not spoonfed through dialogues like with Nolan's
>Gotham actually looks like a dark and unique city, just gorgeous art design and architecture work all around ('Fascist architecture meets World's fair architecture')
>All people involved at the top of their game: Elfman's iconic and poetic score, Czapsky's cinematography who brought the best out of Burton at that time (see also Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood), Waters's batshit insane script
>actually takes a lot creative risks and mixes many different influences and styles, from German expressionist horror and grotesque to satirical comedy about politics (Shreck and Cobblepot) or feminism (Selina), supposed to be a kid's movie but ends up being a completely crazy movie about crazy people
>superb cast, Pfeiffer's disturbing and erotic Catwoman (compare to how bland Hathaway's was), Chris Walken, DeVito's hilariously gross yet really tragic Penguin (probably the most interesting capeshit villain in cinema), Keaton who may not have been the best Batman but is a really interesting Wayne
It's the Citizen Kane of capeshit

unironically agree, Batman Returns is the best capefilm

Practical effects are mostly timeless.

I'm not sure OP
I rewatched The Road Warrior today and it holds up far better than I think Fury Road will in 20 years or so

Why? Believe it or not, Fury Road is 70% practical effects.

youtu.be/U9kK-CbqH0k

Fury Road is better than Road Warrior and will age like fine wine.

The real answer is simply that good films age well, and a lot of 80's action filmmakers were simply good filmmakers. John Milius, John McTiernan, Paul Verhoeven, Tim Burton, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, George Miller, Tony Scott, etc. they treated filmmaking seriously and their audiences with respect, usually have good taste in cinema and quality influences, put a lot of effort and soul into every scene and frame, they made entertaining set pieces but without neglecting themes, story and characters, etc.

Meanwhile all the shitty movies just get forgotten.

There are still similarly serious and hard-working action directors these days, with their own personal styles. Del Toro, Brad Bird, the Wachowski Sisters, Edgar Wright, Peter Jackson, Sam Raimi, Kathryn Bigelow, Paul Greengrass... their films will also age well.

Meanwhile the Snyders or Paul Andersons, with their immature and vulgar mindset and lack of understanding of the cinematic medium, will get forgotten as well.

It's the perfect, definitive Batman movie. I don't know what they're trying anymore.

That's not an 80s movie tho

>I literally developed a latex fetish after watching this movie

Me too. I think there are likely millions of us.

I think it helps that it almost isn't a Batman film. It's just a film that Burton wanted to make that he centred around Batman. He clearly had a passion for the film, which is something that always shows in art. Modern capeshit is just McDonalds franchise stuff.

>Fury Road is better than Road Warrior

Found the pleb

Lol the wacuckski sisters hahahahahahahah

It's the watkowski Bros and they haven't made anything good since v for vendetta

>v for vendetta

They didn't direct that.

Practical effects did two things.

One it was real so it looked real, it hard to get CGI to pull that, although they do keep getting better.

Second and probley more important was that such stage effects took a lot more time on set. So actors and other on the team had more time to work out every detail. Simialr reason why some low buget stuff is so good. At some point taking the time to do all the details right cost less then rushing your big secne. Be it you only got enough money for one shot, or your prop crew takes a long time to build stuff so you got time to address the smaller things. Also many actors find it easier to respond to thing that they can see, reather trying to looked supriesd by a big panel of green background.