To this day I'm astonished that LoTR trilogy was actually made the way it was

To this day I'm astonished that LoTR trilogy was actually made the way it was.

A bunch of nerds who REALLY loved Tolkien's works and had necessary skills and dedication were somehow given $300 million dollars to make it happen. No studio execs fucking everything up, no actor drama, no cash grabbing, no shortcuts.

If you watch behind the scenes documentaries, you'll see a guy who's only job was making chain mail for actors. He was sitting there everyday for years linking those little rings together, and the director could trust that he will make the best fucking mail in the history of cinema.

Everyone involved in these movies treated them like a group effort. In the interviews, one of the concept artists said that when he didn't have anything better to do and the prop guys were moving around some boxes, he would join to help them. He wasn't paid for that, he could do literally anything else with his free time, but he chose to contribute a little bit more towards these movies.

How was all this allowed to happen?

It was pretty boring

Fuck off.

>How was all this allowed to happen?

A better question would be, why it didn't happen again with the Hobbit trilogy? All the involved were back, but it was like they didn't give a shit anymore.

Dubs confirm, fuck off.

The third one still sucks though. I agree with Stephen Merchant. Worst ending of a film ever.

Reading interviews with the actors you can tell the experience meant a lot to them. All of them got tattoos except that grumpy Welshman.

It was that lightning in a bottle where everything and everyone came together for the movie. It's doubtful we will ever see a cast and crew and studio as dedicated to letting something happen as naturally as possible ever again in Hollywood.

He must have had an unbelievably good pitch, imagine having to convince kikes to give you 300 gorillion shekels

>I agree with Stephen Merchant

Literally who?

Somehow the kikes stayed out of it. Probably because the story is pretty European and they couldnt call it racist because the memes werent strong enough to denounce fantasy yet.

What's even more shocking is how they used 300 millions to make a movie that's worse than low budget slapstick gore comedies Peter Jackson used to make for fun.

>Somehow the kikes stayed out of it
That's the thing, kikes funded 100% of it

Here's your dotted line. GTFO.

>No studio execs fucking everything up
not only that, executives actively unfucked the movies' shit

jackson's pitch was a two-film version, and executives were like "wtf why are you trying to do this in 2 films, there's 3 books, are you crazy"

Probably explains why it feels like a shitty cashgrab after the first part.

Heh.

>all the heroes are white men
>bad guys are dark skinned brutes and arabic looking people

This would have been rejected so hard nowadays.

It's actually just one big book, which ended up being split into three parts because normies are afraid of tomes

He had his stunt double take the tattoo instead, since he pretty much played gimili more than him

This reminds me, is there a fan-cut of Hobbit trimming three movies into one yet?

The fellowship had four hobbits, an elf and a dwarf. It was very diverse

>Viggo buying Arwen's horse for her stunt rider because he could see how much she loved it and knew she'd never be able to afford it

Shit like that always gets me. What a bro.

Mate it's 3 pretty big books. One giant version would be comically large.

>Stephen Merchant
AHAHAHAHAH

Many characters, many arcs that need conclusion. The alternative is the Hobbit.

That shitshow of trilogy as two advantages: you can use it as an example of how things should NOT have been done for Lotr, and how Jackson was starting to go full Lucas (Legolas more and more anime every movie, barely tolerable in RotK).

if you want to get super technical, it's one novel comprised of 6 books divided into 3 volumes (of 2 books each)

If LOTR was made today, Arwen would haven been part of the Fellowship, and Aragorn would be played by Will Smith.

>fan-cut of Hobbit
The only proper way to recut The Hobbit is to cut the discs in half and throw them into the trash, where they belong.

I'd watch a full-black retelling of Lord of the Rings set in Detroit

I wonder how many blowjobs he got for that

There are a few, actually.

>still fishing for (you)s

they're dead, let it go

You're completely right that it happened to be published as three books, but Tolkien himself never considered it to be a trilogy, rather three Volumes of about the same story/world

>Letter 165
>P.S. The book is not of course a 'trilogy'. That and the titles of the volumes was a fudge thought necessary for publication, owing to length and cost.
>There is no real division into 3, nor is any one pan intelligible alone

>The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices,1 published for convenience in three volumes.

Your post made look on how the stunt double looked like.

Eeeeeeh.

The extended edition "making of" dvds are the best.
>Viggo and one of the hobbits' Indian midget body doubles develop a friendship
>Viggo is method acting the fuck out of this movie
>Carries his gear everywhere, camps outside
>Catches fish, cleans them, builds a fire, cooks them for other cast/crew members
>Viggo gives some to Indian midget
>"pretty good, huh?"
>"Eh, could use some curry"

I own it as 1 large book actually. It's only about a thousand pages including the appendices.

>Viggo going home with the sword and having cops called on him

never heard of this one

>Nigger of the bling-blings

Do you understand how popular LOTR was before the movies?

It's one of the most famous books ever written with one of the biggest autistic fanbases on the planet.
3 generations of fans thought they would never see a live action LOTR. The only reason it was made was because there was the demand there. This was barely a risk.

The only surprise was how well it did with the GA which was to the detriment of the movies by changing the tone and dumbing the lore down

left elf might have the smuggest face ever conceived

>the third one still sucks though

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this or anything even remotely close to something negative about Return of the King.

It's a masterpiece in pretty much every regard.

I love that guy. Is like how the dwarves see elves all the time.

>worst ending
Wat nigger? That was one of the most emotional endings I've ever experienced. Cried for the first 20 times I've seen the grey havens scene. And Elanor final scene of Sam going home... Holy fuck, impossible not to cry.
Feel sorry for you for having shit taste.

>desolation of smug.jpg

Because they didn't give a shit. Because P Jackson felt like making dough.

I love how much Christopher Lee gushes about the lore or backstory in the commentary, the guy's a legitimate fanboy of the series.

And then Ian McKellen spends 5 minutes discussing shit in that slow ponderous voice of his and I die a little inside.

haha jesus

If I want to relax I quite enjoy the first 2 Hobbit's
But the films deserve the shit they get but I don't blame Jackson.
He never wanted to direct them, only be a hands on producer but Toro fucked him over and the studio got involved.
There was years of prep work for LotR and everyone was into it but WB literally gave Jackson a deadline and told him to get to work.
They could've been done better, but some shit is written in stone once studio's start fucking with you.

>crying to LOTR

Lol wat?

Weinstein must have seen the potential for a huge return in investment if he just let Jackson and his team go away and do their work. The length of time they had for pre-production really was amazing though. An entire 2 years for scouting and production design is something we'll likely never see again from a major studio. The trilogy was a throwback to old Hollywood epics. In a lot of ways, the LOTR trilogy was the end of those kinds of movies.

No theatrical film has ever survived off the back of an existing fanbase. LotR could have quite easily flopped.

i remember it
man, Viggo is such a bro

>Not crying at the LotR

You guys must be a special kind of miserable cunt

The only movies I've ever cried to were Lord of the Rings, Armageddon and the Prince of Egypt.

The ending is really cheesy and a cheap tear jerker. I take it you haven't seen anything outside of the imdb top 250

Trips confirm it's ok to cry at LOTR

Please don't be elitist, just because we haven't seen kino does not mean our feels are cheaper than yours.

The ending was lovely and was emotionally powerful for a great many people.

>BvS
>Suicide Squad

LOTRs has a way bigger fanbase world wide than any DC property

There was never a chance this movie would flop, I remember seeing Fellowship opening night and it being sold out with people dressed up as elves and shit . Only ever see that kind of turnout for Star Wars now

Yeah, LOTR and Star wars are actually the only two franchises that have the largest fanbases. You don't see people talking about marvel or dc movies that came out 2 or 3 years ago. But star wars and LOTR have hundreds of forums and webpages dedicated to them.

That's why it succeeded imo it's a perfect mix of a passion Project and commercial blockbuster.

Hobbit 1 was pretty good. Had a lot of charm. 2 and 3 were completely pointless action flicks tho

>This was barely a risk.

Don't talk shit lad. Make 3 movies back to back at a cost of 300m (back in 1999) was a huge risk. Weinstein was the only one that would give Jackson the money to make a trilogy.

>tfw that day is today

>Rohirrim charge
>...But I can carry you
>Aragorn singing victory "no we bow to you"
>Havens

Is nice how you take pride of being dead inside.

It definitely doesn't suck. But Fellowship is the masterpiece. You start to see Jackson's hobbit tendencies creeping into Return of the King - it relies too much on special effects and the editing isn't great. As Mortensen says, there's an organic feel to Fellowship that isn't there in the sequels. It's a great movie in its own right, just not as good as Fellowship.

The only movie/s where the behind the scenes footage is just as good and watchable

People still make mos (and bvs) threads occasionally

It did, it was so good in fact that while Peter was presenting the idea of making two films out of the three books, the New Line Execs said something along the lines of, "Why would you make two movies? Aren't there three books?".

I think it had to do with new direction and tech implementation (cgi 3d) that hindered the realism for actors and crew.

Gandalf spent his time yelling at green screens and tennis balls and even stormed off set one day.

Casting wasnt bad and preproduction promising until they decided it would be 3 movies. At that point the writers saw that it was going to be shit and basically everything else crumbled after.

Those are super recent. Now in 15 years, do you think they will make them?

>LOTRs has a way bigger fanbase world wide than any DC property

And neither movie survived off the back of an existing fanbase. Batman and Superman are far more popular and well known than the LotR lore was when the movies came out. Name recognition will take you over the line, but fandom? This is pure fantasy. It's never been the case. The existing fandom - and more importantly the proportion of it that rushes out to see the movie - is minuscule compared to the numbers necessary to make a hit.

>get off a long day of shooting and this motherfucker starts ordering you around his kitchen

>In a lot of ways, the LOTR trilogy was the end of those kinds of movies.

Until The Dark Knight Rises came along and brought back the era of long silent epics.

>300 pages is big
read more you philistine

i hated rotk when i first saw it in the cinema. the extended cut is much better.
>Worst ending of a film ever.
now that's just bullshit.

Fellowship was the easiest to film because it didn't have huge battles involving thousands

most people that liked a particular part of the book got pissed even by FotR.

My mother is the person that made me know lotr. When I gave her the extended edition DVDs, the was reassured to see Galadriel giving gifts al look more like in the book.

It's big for normies. The standard for novels is 90K words and even less when it was first published.

for you

Peter Jackson did what he could, the studios straight up anally raped him.
No lube.

They saw the success he had with LotR, and didn't care to preserve the quality, they wanted 3 movies and they wanted greenscreen to save money.

They weren't gonna stop milking this perfectly good cash cow.

i liked the hobbit movie. aka i've seen the first one and that's it. might watch the other two. that scene where bilbo spares gollum and the fellowship music starts playing
>'it was pity that stayed bilbo's hand'
shivers

IIRC he took over Hobbit when the movie was about a year or 6 months out. It was a mess before that.

Also,
>HEY PETER MAKE US ANOTHER TRILOGY
>WE NEED THEM MONIES

All the magic the first trilogy had was lost on the Hobbit. I was nervous ever since they announced it would even be a trilogy, and my concern was founded when it turned out to be a cash grab. There isn't enough material to make three films, which means adding things. That's almost never a good idea. If you believe the stories, they had sets and were shooting, but we're actually writing some of the scenes that very day. The actors weren't enjoying filming either.

It's a shame too, because I think the casting was actually great. Think about the worst parts of the trilogy - it's almost exclusively the filler scenes that were added or embellishment of minutiae from the book, not the main scenes from the book that were reproduced faithfully. I'm talking about Alfred, the addition of Legolas, the love arc of not-Arwyn and Kili, the entirety of the Battle of the Five Armies. All things that either didn't exist in the book or were miniscule points that just got embellished to add time. They should have stuck with the original plan of two films, then they wouldn't have had to add all the filler scenes.

The rabbit sled was an idea of the studios?

Now I understand the lack of time but there is something more there. A clear case of George Lucas Syndrome (I am famous, previous trilogy is cult, do what I say).
Stuff like many horrible dialogues or copy-pasted armies can be explained with time restraint, but that does not explain Alfrid.

why couldn't they have made it a nice little two parter with extra bard backstory, dol guldur and a legolas cameo talking to his dad and at the battle of five armies?

honestly the rabbit sled shit reeks of del toro.

actually the LOTR movies are pretty bad OP, i dont have much respect for peter hackson

Don't. Seriously don't.

Watch the best clips from the movies on jewtube instead. I'll list them

>conversation with smaug
>acorn scene
>thorins death speech
>bilbos farewell

there are no more (you)s, you can stop

It was the studio's fault because they wanted three films. Jackson knew as well as anyone that the book didn't have enough material to fill three films.

Tom Bombadil spinoff flick when?

I collect dots now

THIS!

>ywn see hurin cutting dont trolls
>ywn see turin bang his sister
>ywn see the full dickery of glaurung
>ywn see a mountain sized melkor
>ywn see a mountain sized ungoliant
>ywn see a gondolin or nargothrond
>ywn see beautiful sauron
>ywn see cataclysmic wars that scar continents
>ywn see the full glory of ancalagon
>ywn hear the song of creation

>If you watch behind the scenes documentaries, you'll see a guy who's only job was making chain mail for actors. He was sitting there everyday for years linking those little rings together, and the director could trust that he will make the best fucking mail in the history of cinema.

Yea this guy does that anyway. He got commisioned for the movie. He wasn't a film industry person who decided to take to making mail.

It's true though the perfect team made LOTR and just the righ time. Fellowship of the Ring is perfect.

Thank God, to be quite honest

It opens with a giant battle that's far more atmospheric than Return's Pelennor fields or Black Gate battles.

>Gimli was reduced to a measly comic relief character
>Legolas's only contribution to the plot was surfing on various things and saying corny lines
>suddenly, Arwen has a plot
>also, let's make believe kill Aragorn a couple of times for good measure

I watched it at Christmas for nostalgia reasons. And as much a I like the trilogy, goofy mistakes like the ones above will always make me cringe. There's no doubt that both the production team and the actors loved their job, but if you pay close attention, it's just a foreshadowing of the disaster The Hobbit turned out to be.

>>suddenly, Arwen has a plot
how the fuck does that make you cringe, she has some of the best scenes in the trilogy.

This
>arwen foretold and rivendell leaving
>arwen sees her son
>reforge of the narsil
Fuck. The soundtrack was so powerful in those scenes.