Getting into Rock

So I've been looking to get into rock as of late and it's kinda overwhelming due to how big the genre is. Just gave pic related a listen because I was told that it's a great entry album. And I can see why, it's a great sounding album but it's not exactly alien which is good for newcomers I guess.

The problem is that I don't know what subgenre it falls under. I just want you guys to link bands and tell me what category they're in (like punk, grunge, metal etc) so I can have a better idea of what I'm listening to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GN3eIPAk1OU
youtube.com/watch?v=jCzHe5MWpvI
youtube.com/watch?v=g14Jj6gSgPY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

basically you're fucked

Listen to the first cage the elephant album
It's more fun
It's faster paced
And it's more "rock and roll"
This is pretty much the embodiment of rock and roll for me
Just do it faggot

youtu.be/GN3eIPAk1OU

youtube.com/watch?v=jCzHe5MWpvI

This is pretty much the logical conclusion of rock.

Nirvana is grunge. Listen to their first album, and other bands like Alice in chains, pearl jam, mother love bone, Soundgarden if you like music like Nirvana.

This album is a good place to start. I personally am a huge fan of 90s-early 2000s alternative. Listen to a spotify/apple music generated playlist of 90s alt, if you want more like this. I can’t help you much if you want heavier stuff, but I’d reccomend Third Eye Blind’s self-titled as a really fun and easy listen. Tell us what you think, and good luck. If you find the type of rock that suits you, it’s a great genre.

I love CTE. Good choice

none of those bands are similar sounding to nevermind

Would you fuck off with this viral marketing bullshit?

>looking to get into rock
why do i find this funny?

Entry level bands
>Grunge:
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden
Alternative Rock
Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pixies, REM
>Nu Metal:
Korn, Limp Bizcut, Slipknot, Linkin Park
>Punk:
Sex Pistiols, The Clash, The Ramones,
>Post Punk
Joy Division, PIL, Television
>Thrash Metal
Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax
>Classic Rock
Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith
>Prog Rock
Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis
>classic metal
Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest

Basically what you need to start off then you branch off from there

If you liked Nevermind by Nirvana you might also like

The Beatles
Social Distortion's first album (Mommy's Little Monster)
Husker Du.

THen listen to green day faggit

None of those punk bands are very "punk" by today's standards

I'd say sex pistols
Black flag
Big black
Future of the left
The wytches

I say that covers a wide range of punk

>RHCP
>grunge

Rock isn't really a "genre." The focus isn't on the genre itself, but the individual song, which is why rock is so diverse. It's best not to think of rock as a "genre" but each song as its own individual entity.

alt rock... read it

>Future of the left
>The wytches
no one knows who they are, they aren't entry level at all
>Big black
they add more to punk that it characteristically is, I wouldn't consider it entry level.

They call it Grunge but Grunge doesn't exist. It's just a music scene from seattle. A social construct.

However, Nirvana is a Garage Rock/Sludge crossover group. Basicallt a heavy punk band.

They are literally a Punk Rock group, and nothing else.

>So I've been looking to get into rock as of late and it's kinda overwhelming due to how big the genre is
That kind of mindset has always bewildered me, I guess because I grew listening to the genre. Were you like pop and hiphop only?

You have three weeks before this album gets rereleased as a rerecorded LP by a pretty big indie label. You have three weeks to claim some patrician cred. Don't waste it
youtube.com/watch?v=g14Jj6gSgPY

Just because people don't know who they are doesn't mean they aren't good introductions

Future of the left is punk with more pop sensibilities.

And the wytches are more garage influenced punk

Big black is more noise punk

And black flag is straight up punk/ sludge punk that many bands take influence from today

A reap patrician listens to those bands and picks out what aspects they like about it. And delve deeper into artists who are closer to what they are looking for it helps develop taste

Use RYM, find the album, click on the genres it says it is, and then look at the charts for those genres to find more albums in that genre

>Nirvana
>Heavy punk
>Sludge

Yeah this, Nirvana sounds nothing like the other "Grunge" bands, it's a very misleading term imo

Nirvana alt-punk rock
Pearl Jam alt rock
Soundgarden alt metal
Alice in chains alt sludge metal

why does this matter so much to nirvana fags?
They all sound different. Big deal. Sounds like a healthier collective than genres where everyone sounds the same.

Well I've never really cared about genres in the first place, but I think that if anything genres are useful for finding out about similar artists, and if you like Nirvana and want to get into similar artists you'd be more satisfied with stuff like Wipers, Pixies, Melvins, hell even the Sex Pistols, than Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and others

I'm Kenyan, so my family mostly listens to Kenyan music, Jazz and Blues. And hip hop for parties.

i need to enter the rock

My favourite grunge band is Beat Happening.

>I've been looking to get into rock as of late

I envy you. So much great shit out there you will be hearing for the first time.

This.

Also OP dont go into grunge.
It's all shit other than nirvana. And there are no good grunge bands today. And no good bands that are strongly influenced by the genre around today

I'd say get into led Zeppelin and find which style you like the most

Also try listening to black sabbath and rush

>Don't get into Grunge

OP should begin with the subgenre that inspired him to first listen (looks like grunge in his case), and then slowly but surely branch backwards into their influences and/or forward into those inspired by them.

OP don't forget Mudhoney and Tad if you really end up loving grunge.